Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STI Clinics in Ireland (list in first post updated 10/08/2010)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

can you get an STD from recieving a blowjob without protection?

IIRC the risk is low but its still possible (open to correction)

Anyway after last weeks unsuccessful attempt at getting seen in the Royal in Belfast I tried the evening walk in service at Coleraine. Official registration time is 5pm Showed up at around 4.15 to be told come back in 4:30. No hassle I got registered a bit of waiting around (it’s actually a very good idea to bring a book with you) but I was out of there by 6:30pm. A lot (12-15 possibly more) of other people showed up after 5pm (well after in some cases) but as far as I could tell most (all ?) of them were seen.

Therere is a form to be filled out They ask name address DOB and who your GP is but there's a box you can tick if you don’t want them to inform your GP. They also ask for name and DOB of your current partner and some race./monitoring stuff but you don’t have to answer these) . You’re given a reference number and from then on you’re referred to as "Male (or female) "VW/XYZ" (except the doctor who calls you by your first name)

The doctor asks a few more questions
    Is there any particular reason you’re here (i.e. symptoms or just a check-up)?
    Current medications/allergies etc?
    Have you ever been vaccinated against Hepatitis B or C (and so when/why and was it one or three injections)
    When was the last time you had sex (and what protection if any did you use?)
    Was it locally or abroad (what country)?
    Have you ever paid for sex?
    Any history of homosexual contact?

They then do a urine test (you’re asked not to pass water for two hours before attending) a swab test (They had some other name for this but I cant remember) and a nurse takes a blood sample.(For HIV, Syphilis and Hepatitis) think there might be some extra tests if there is any male homosexual history but not 100% sure on that one.

Contrary to all the urban myths/horror stories the swab test WAS NOT painful. Although it was a tad uncomfortable/unpleasant but its only really lasted a couple of seconds. I did feel a bit funny down there though (and still do now a few hours later) but TBH its probably psychosomatic (I am a tad squeamish)

Some of the results were available within a few minutes. Others take a couple of weeks. (I was given a card with a date/time and phone number along with my "secret" identifying code number to quote -TBH I thought they were going a wee bit OTT with this confidentiality/anonymity stuff but I can understand why a lot of people like it that way. In theory one could even give them a false name/address but again that’s going a bit OTT)

Anyway my test showed "traces" of Chlamydia. so I got given four antibiotic tablets and a cup of water. They seemed to prefer if I took them there and then in front of the doctor (probably a precaution against antibiotic misuse but actually quite sensible) I have to call back in two weeks for the other test results. I was told they would say "positive" for Chlamydia but It was okay to ignore that as Id already been treated for it. I asked should I get another blood test in three months (to allow for incubation periods etc) and was told it was no problem if I really wanted to make sure (Of course I do !).

Anyway an STI test at the GUM clinic is definitely something a lot more people should be doing more often. However from what I saw back in Belfast the system would really struggle to cope if they all did ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 NotSureToLive

Ok so here is my question.

Say i go to have a sti check today, and i wait two weeks for my results, and i get the good news that im all clear.

This still means that i could possibly have hiv, Although i have been told that i am clean from it, i still might have it.

The exam only tells me that in the period older than 3 months i was clean, but any time since i could possibly have picked it up and may have it a month at the time of screening, and still i will get a negative result.

I just cant understand how this is. I mean i realise that they have to wait for your body to respond to the virus and then they test for the antibodies that are produced, but why the hell cant they come up with an exam or a way that will give results as quick as the other tests.

i understand that it would be expensive and that the clinics have to provide a service that will cope with the huge volume of people going but surely the private clinics should introduce a new system of testing:mad:

sorry for venting guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

but why the hell cant they come up with an exam or a way that will give results as quick as the other tests.

It was actually a massive achievement at the time for them to come up with the HIV antibody test so soon after the discovery of the illness given the knowledge and technology available at the time.

Why cant they "come up with" a better HIV test since then ? O I dunno possibly for the same reason why they haven’t come up with an actual cure or even a vaccine. i.e. that its easier said than done. But then technology will never be able to keep place with peoples expectations. Private clinics can only introduce better systems when those systems actually exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sally28

just wondering, how long do you have to usually wait for an appointment with Dr. Freedman?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Jellybabs

Hey guys
    just wondering has anyone been to the st.james GUIDE clinic on thursdays for STI testing and what time would they suggest to go am very nervous about going thinking about going this week. i know they only allocate a certain amount of places so wanna get there on time :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Jellybabs wrote: »
    Hey guys
    just wondering has anyone been to the st.james GUIDE clinic on thursdays for STI testing and what time would they suggest to go am very nervous about going thinking about going this week. i know they only allocate a certain amount of places so wanna get there on time :(
    Ring them then ad an hour weight on to what ever time they tell you if you want to be see asap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

can you get an STD from recieving a blowjob without protection?
    IIRC the risk is low but its still possible (open to correction)

The odds are so incredibly low, it's not even worth thinking about, e.g. you're more likely to get killed by a donkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭da_shivsta

Yea I went for Chlamydia tests, no symptoms, I just decided to do it randomly. I went to the Family Planning Clinic in Galway. It's really not that bad, just a little uncomfortable but that was mostly cuz I was nervous (not going in to detail but being nervous makes it harder for the doc too 9if you're a girl):rolleyes:) so I'm going for results tomorrow which is on my mind the last couple of days but I'd def reccommend going for a check up to anyone.

AARRRGH wrote: »
    The odds are so incredibly low, it's not even worth thinking about, e.g. you're more likely to get killed by a donkey.

Errrrrrrrr can any one say EPIC FAIL If your having unprotected oral with some one getting an sti is a very real possibility , and a lot more likely than being killed by a donkey

so the clinic told me that if i didnt get a call from them in two weeks, that i was clear. anyone gotten a call back and how long after did it come? my two weeks is up thursday. Im wondering can i just ring in and double check to be sure.

• Advertisement

so the clinic told me that if i didnt get a call from them in two weeks, that i was clear. anyone gotten a call back and how long after did it come? my two weeks is up thursday. Im wondering can i just ring in and double check to be sure.

Hi
    Listen, if you are ever worried, always phone. Its absolutely fine. Double check and put your mind at rest, take care.

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    It was actually a massive achievement at the time for them to come up with the HIV antibody test so soon after the discovery of the illness given the knowledge and technology available at the time.

Why cant they "come up with" a better HIV test since then ? O I dunno possibly for the same reason why they haven’t come up with an actual cure or even a vaccine. i.e. that its easier said than done. But then technology will never be able to keep place with peoples expectations. Private clinics can only introduce better systems when those systems actually exist.

Actually, there has been and there continues to be significant improvements in HIV testing. (Un)fortunately it has been one of the primary areas of improvement in HIV management over the past two decades. Cure or a vaccine are the holy grail and we are no closer to either than we were 10 years ago.

The official window period as per national, european and American (FDA) for the time it takes an infected subject to test positive is 3 months. pre circa 2001 the official window period was 6 months. Thats a 50% reduction in the waiting time. However, with modern day testing, realistically the overwhelming majority of infections are detected within 6 - 8 weeks and well over half are detected within 4 weeks. Antibody testing that is. However, one should continue to test out to 3 months for most exposures to be sure of a definitive result. Really only those at risk of contracting HEP C and HIV simultaneously or those who suffer needle stick injuries have to test beyond 3 months. There is some theoretical cases that extreme medication (chemo etc.) could also delay the production of HIV antibodies.

Finally, HIV particle tests designed to test for the virus itself are highly reliable within the first 14 days approx of infection (before antibodies are produced). However, such tests are known to have a high false positive rate and coupled with their cost means they are not recommended for diagnosis purposes. I don't know of any clinic in Ireland that offers these tests as standard.

In relation to unprotected blow jobs etc... the chances of any STI is relatively small but is existent. HIV, is so unlikely that it is not a really a worry, same for HEP B/C. Herpes is possible although a genital infection of HSV 1 is usually little to worry about after the initial outbreak and a good proportion of people have less than 3 outbreaks per annum.

Although, I highly recommend protection be used for all oral sex encounters particularly with unkown partners, I wouldn't recommend rushing out and getting tested after every such unprotected encounter (in the absence of symptoms obviously). But that is really on the provisio that anyone who is sexually active with multiple partners should get an annual STI check up

Errrrrrrrr can any one say EPIC FAIL If your having unprotected oral with some one getting an sti is a very real possibility , and a lot more likely than being killed by a donkey

Can you back up your statement with any supporting data? I'm not talking about opinion pieces in newspapers and magazines, I mean actual proof that you are at real risk of getting an STI from oral sex? You won't find anything, because the risk is only theoretical.

It's not worth thinking about, as it's just pointless worrying.

It's not worth thinking about, as it's just pointless worrying.

http://www.gumnewcastle.nhs.uk/page.asp?id=1256

They admit themselves they don't know:

"As most people do not have only oral sex it is difficult to know just how risky it is."

They also generously use phrases like "the risk is probably similar", "may be infected", "It seems", etc. Basically, it's an opinion piece.

The fact that they say "it is clear that unprotected oral sex can transmit HIV infection" shows they don't have a clue, as there has never been a single proven case of HIV transmission via oral sex.

I would agree though that herpes can be passed orally, obviously.

People need to be realistic about risk: unprotected oral sex is not a significant risk whatsoever.

They admit themselves they don't know:

"As most people do not have only oral sex it is difficult to know just how risky it is."

They also generously use phrases like "the risk is probably similar", "may be infected", "It seems", etc. Basically, it's an opinion piece.
    Cherry picking phrases to try and prove a point = Fail

The fact that they say "it is clear that unprotected oral sex can transmit HIV infection" shows they don't have a clue, as there has never been a single proven case of HIV transmission via oral sex..
    Question:

Can you get HIV through oral sex?

Answer:

The risk of getting HIV through receiving oral sex is very, very low.

We can't say that there's zero risk, because there are a few cases of HIV infection in people who have no other known risk factors for HIV.

Also, we can imagine a scenario where an HIV-positive person's mouth is bleeding when he or she is giving oral sex. This could increase the risk of infecting the partner. But, in general, transmitting HIV to someone receiving oral sex is probably a very rare occurrence.

The risk of getting HIV through giving oral sex is low compared with unprotected vaginal or anal sex, but there is some risk. The risk appears to be higher if you have cuts or sores in your mouth. Risk also appears to increase with the amount of your partner's fluids that contact your mouth and throat. If there is blood in these fluids, that probably increases the risk as well.

Of course, if your partner is not HIV infected, there is no risk of getting HIV. But if your partner is HIV positive, or you are not sure, it makes sense to use a condom or other barrier (a latex sheet, for example) for oral sex. (See Tips for using condoms and dental dams for more information.)

Source: Laurence Peiperl, MD

Date: February 27, 2006

You where saying ???

I would agree though that herpes can be passed orally, obviously...

You tell all the other sti’s that you don’t agree with them and I am sure they will leave you alone

People need to be realistic about risk: unprotected oral sex is not a significant risk whatsoever.

define significant ??

The only person who is "failing" here is you. The article you linked to admits a lack of knowledge, so I don't understand how you think you have proved anything, but I understand you want to save face so will continue your incorrect argument.

There is no risk of getting HIV from oral sex - even the CDC admit this. If you consider the risk of getting HIV from unprotected vaginal sex with a HIV+ person is less than 0.01% (which the CDC considers a large risk) and they say there is no risk of HIV infection from oral sex, well then I think that means you're a hypochondriac if you want to believe you're in any way at risk.

Btw I have been researching HIV data for about 10 years (it's a personal crusade of mine - my uncle died from toxic HIV medication) so this is a topic I know in great detail.

By all means worry about getting an STI from oral sex, but the risk is near zero and I don't believe in unnecessary worrying, so I don't see the point in torturing yourself.

Btw, the reason I am not interested in opinion pieces (like the article you linked to) is that opinions on STIs and the reality of STIs (hard data) are often two very different things.

For example, everyone "knows" the rate of HIV infection is growing in the heterosexual community, but the data shows the rate of infection has remained stable or even decreased.

The media and forums like this constantly regurgitate the same misinformation which causes unnecessary worrying.

I am not saying don't take precautions (obviously no one wants to perform oral sex on someone with chlamydia), I am saying lets stick to the reality of what the risks are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Take the arguements to the bio/medical forum, or else.

Hi Guys,

Had protected sex about 3 weeks ago with a girl but had a breakage mid intercourse.
    Now i'm noticing darker urine & cream coloured discharge lately.
    Looks like i may have picked something up. :(

I'm looking for info. on the Guide Clinic. Is is possible to make an appointment by phone?
    I need to take a Day off work so i don't want to do that & go down only to be told i have to come back some other time.
    Is it also totally free?

Thanks for the help.

• Advertisement

Guide01 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Had protected sex about 3 weeks ago with a girl but had a breakage mid intercourse.
    Now i'm noticing darker urine & cream coloured discharge lately.
    Looks like i may have picked something up. :(

I'm looking for info. on the Guide Clinic. Is is possible to make an appointment by phone?
    I need to take a Day off work so i don't want to do that & go down only to be told i have to come back some other time.
    Is it also totally free?

Thanks for the help.

Hi,

I went there today for 1st time for a screening, had read here how que's can be bad so got the first train this morn, Monday the sti walk in clinic is 9-1, I got there at 6:50 and was 2nd in the que, the que gets quite big fairly quick though so I'd advise to go as early as poss, once I was seen bout 10:30 it was no time at all to be honest, yes it's free!

A question for anyone else who may have gone to GUIDE, on the website it says that initial results are within 20 mins of swab tests, I was so stressed out I forgot about that while there, she didn't tell me to stay for initial results, just that if I didn't hear from them in 2-3wks I'm clear......... anyone else that's been there, did you get results on the day?

Thanks

anyone else that's been there, did you get results on the day?

Thanks
    They only run the pillimonary (I know I spelt that wrong) tests if you think you have some thing , if they wanted you to stay around they would of said so . To the poster above you , ring the front desk and see if you can get a last minute appointment for Friday (only day they do appointments) make sure when you ask they know you are having symptoms

Hi,

I went there today for 1st time for a screening, had read here how que's can be bad so got the first train this morn, Monday the sti walk in clinic is 9-1, I got there at 6:50 and was 2nd in the que, the que gets quite big fairly quick though so I'd advise to go as early as poss, once I was seen bout 10:30 it was no time at all to be honest, yes it's free!

Thanks for that. I intend on getting there early.
    Is the clinic actually open at that time (06.30) or do you have to wait outside?

poster above - rang 4 times today but it just rang out.

Guide01 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I intend on getting there early.
    Is the clinic actually open at that time (06.30) or do you have to wait outside?

poster above - rang 4 times today but it just rang out.

Hey,

No it wasn't open, was waiting outside, sometime after 8 they let people in, the hours is 9 opening, I think they take pity on the people outside and let them in, you go into the 1st room where there are 20-25 seats wasn't really paying attention, I was just glad to be number 2 :), you're given a number and then you fill out a short form, name, address, ph number etc, at 9 they start calling the numbers to go into the next room and then register at the reception, then you wait for the doc

They only run the pillimonary (I know I spelt that wrong) tests if you think you have some thing , if they wanted you to stay around they would of said so . To the poster above you , ring the front desk and see if you can get a last minute appointment for Friday (only day they do appointments) make sure when you ask they know you are having symptoms

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Does anybody know the procedure for getting a hardcopy of test results by mail or otherwise from the STI clinic from the regional in Limerick? All my tests are clear but I would like a hard copy of my results too. I wrote to them before to see if I could get a hard copy posted out to me but they said I would have to call in as its not allowed for them to post out. I can't really call in because it is difficult to get the time free from work. I don't have a regular GP either that could request the results.

anyone have any idea if the guide clinic is open tomorrow?not sure if its a bank holiday or not and was gonna pop in

Hey,can anyone tell me what is involved for a guy for having a STI check done like what do they do to you ? I'm not having a full STI check just a specific one,thanks for any replies :)

Hey,can anyone tell me what is involved for a guy for having a STI check done like what do they do to you ? I'm not having a full STI check just a specific one,thanks for any replies :)

Hey, not sure if you want a male or female perspective but as a male i went for one recently because i had obvious symptoms.

Basically you're asked your sexual history;
    -Who you've slept with in the past 3 months, Whether they were likely to be needle drug users, any symptoms etc.

Then you get tested by the Doc - 2 swabs from the japs eye (contrary to popular belief, not painful, but definitely weird, as in you know things should not be going down there.) Just close your eyes and grit your teeth and its actually fine.

You're then asked for a urine sample.
    Then a blood test.

You get your preliminary urine sample back after an hour.
    In my case i was diagnosed with NSU (Non specific Urethritis) by a sexual health advisor which i expect to be told was/is Chlamydia.
    He/she asks you to get in contact with previous partners (within 3 months) to tell them so they can be tested too. This was really tough to take as i knew where i had caught it from but i was still told to contact prior partners because of legal constraints (i.e - people have sued others for not telling previous partners after they had caught it.)

If diagnosed, you're then given Antibiotics which cure the pain downstairs after about 48hrs.

After that it's a waiting game. 3 months for the blood test to come back (HIV, Hep etc ) Along with that, i have recent eye trouble which i'm terrified could be Trachoma.

Definitely the worst 3 weeks of my life and a long summer of anxiety & fear awaits.

All over a split condom. :(

• Advertisement

Bit of a stupid question, but can a local GP do a STI test?

I've never had one, and may be no harm in getting checked

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement