Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post images of beauty (quote pics sparingly) - see Mod warnings in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭letape

Happytramp - a great story and lovely bike! Just wondering when the frame was built as I was surprised to see braze on lever mounts and also bottle cage mounts.

I would love to rebuild a late 80s/90s Basso with Campagnolo C-Record like I used to have, but those parts are more expensive now than when they were new.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Seeing as we're talking about old school bikes atm,here's a little something that's coming my way soon.
    P1080348.jpg

22yrs old born in Belgium.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭happytramp

letape wrote: »
    Happytramp - a great story and lovely bike! Just wondering when the frame was built as I was surprised to see braze on lever mounts and also bottle cage mounts.

I would love to rebuild a late 80s/90s Basso with Campagnolo C-Record like I used to have, but those parts are more expensive now than when they were new.

Hmmm, good question. Although I've done it up with early 80's parts (like the ones the original owner had on it) I think the frame might be a bit newer. He built it to replace an early 70's Harry Quinn bike which his friend crashed. And although he kept close to the original he added a few mod-cons like the various braze on's you mentioned and clearance for mudguards etc. I'd put it at later 80's maybe even early 90's.

Yep, C-Record is pretty pricey. Hope your not lusting after Delta brakes, saw a NOS set go for €900 recently :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭happytramp

Seeing as we're talking about old school bikes atm,here's a little something that's coming my way soon.
    P1080348.jpg

Intriguing!!! I'm a big fan of 22 year old Belgians :D

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Is it a Merckx?!

• Advertisement

NickWray wrote: »
    Is it a Merckx?!

Yes it is. All original,not built up and looks like it just rolled off the production line. Campagnolo C-Record group with Delta brakes.
    Can not wait to get it.

happytramp wrote: »
    Hmmm, good question. Although I've done it up with early 80's parts (like the ones the original owner had on it) I think the frame might be a bit newer. He built it to replace an early 70's Harry Quinn bike which his friend crashed. And although he kept close to the original he added a few mod-cons like the various braze on's you mentioned and clearance for mudguards etc. I'd put it at later 80's maybe even early 90's.I

Yep, C-Record is pretty pricey. Hope your not lusting after Delta brakes, saw a NOS set go for €900 recently :eek:

Yep I would have thought late 80s...

I had Delta brakes back in the day - really beautiful. Would love to get them again together with the first generation Ergopowers - looking forward to seeing the Merckx when it is built ☺

NickWray wrote: »
    Is it a Merckx?!

Yes it is. All original,not built up and looks like it just rolled off the production line. Campagnolo C-Record group with Delta brakes.
    Cannot wait to get it.

What tubing is the frame? Columbus Max or El? Sounds fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

Looking to really get some miles up on this over the coming months.
    195331.jpg195332.jpg

letape wrote: »
    What tubing is the frame? Columbus Max or El? Sounds fantastic.
    TSX tubing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Plastik wrote: »
    I think the picture at 18mm distorts the actual drop from seat to bars. It looks more severe there than it actually is. The sloping top tube of the PX also distorts it maybe. I'm 6' 1 on a 56, probably right at the top of what's reasonable, but 58's are just too much of a stretch. I find this set up very comfortable.

As it happens, I did a fitting on the bike previously and the seat was actually another 5-10mm higher, but I dropped it back down a bit.

That's a lovely bike and one I have on my radar for purchase next summer. Strangely I'm the very same when it comes to size. 185cm and my current rig is a 55cm frame. I've been told I should be on a bigger one but any bigger and it's too much of a stretch for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

mkdon05 wrote: »
    Looking to really get some miles up on this over the coming months.
    195331.jpg195332.jpg

any chance of turning the bike around to see the groupset, otherwise congrats on the new bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

Yea ill get a few better pics later and post them up, its 105 all around. The sad thing is, I've had this bike for over a year but only clocked up about 300kms. No excuses this year, I'm hoping to do 5 times that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

P1080348.jpg

it'll look lovely once you've washed off the sex wee

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

A Brooks on a Merckx... that's not right!

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

[IMG][/img]42333040104904657810410.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is my new bus after breaking my other frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Red/white/black and dull green? Lose the tyres man.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭dooverylittle

ED E wrote: »
    Red/white/black and dull green? Lose the tyres man.

Look like Vittoria Open Pave's to me, leave them where they are. Great tyres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭pprendeville

picture.php?albumid=1696&pictureid=12206

Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭kerryscoob

New additions to the family!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,951 ✭✭✭furiousox

Where did you pick up the S-Works, and would it be rude to ask...how much?
    Understand if you don't want to say, lovely bike!

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

furiousox wrote: »
    Where did you pick up the S-Works...?

With Lars Bak written on the top tube, it has to be a Kinetix bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭kerryscoob

dave2pvd wrote: »
    With Lars Bak written on the top tube, it has to be a Kinetix bike.

Bang on, have dealt with Paul on a number of occasions, a gentleman!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

Stevens Vicenza 2011, Compag Athena group set. Picked up from Fitzcycles in Stillorgan, great crew in there.

If you spotted the rather green faced guy who overindulged at the game on Saturday grinning ear to ear on Sunday morning in north county Dublin, it was me. Absolutely love it - a great bike and a huge step up from my current road bike (Giant SCR 3.0). Looking forward to some serious Sportive action, kicking off with the Tour de Foothills. Bring it on!

?ui=2&ik=4ebac8e61e&view=att&th=13607bb80c6e9533&attid=0.1.1&disp=thd&zw

All packed and on it's way to Ireland. Please Mr.Delivery man be gentle with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 everti

Here's my one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

everti wrote: »
    Here's my one!!

Are those Force chainrings on a Red crankset?

I find the Red rings very ugly. If only chainrings weren't so expensive...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

?ui=2&ik=4ebac8e61e&view=att&th=13607bb80c6e9533&attid=0.1.1&disp=thd&zw

All packed and on it's way to Ireland. Please Mr.Delivery man be gentle with her.
    Image not showing for me.

I presume this is the Merckx frame?

Please repost.

Advertisement