Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post images of beauty (quote pics sparingly) - see Mod warnings in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

levitronix wrote: »
    is that an alloy frame ?

Series looking piece of kit
    yes alloy frame, the fork is full carbon, the cartridge bearing fits directly to a carbon crown, weight is 340g. felt very strange attaching stem and bars to it that weigh 900+g

http://www.lookcycle.com/en/int/piste/cadres/al-464-p-frame.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I've gotten my winter training back on track again, took all the bits of my "old" Storck and after a couple of weeks prevaricating, succumbed to the CSS's offer on this Ridley 901r. I was trying to spend less money but in the end this seemed like a great balance between the ol' bang and buck.

Had it out today. Looks like a bike, feels like a bike. No issues and it rides very comfortably indeed. Should see me through the winter, the tour of Flanders in March, and many winters to come. Fingers crossed :pac:

Should've taken the photo before I fitted the dweebie crud nappies but hey... whaddya gonna do? It took so long to fit the b@stards, they ain't comin' off for no photo shoot! Yiz'll have to use your imaginations... :)

7c19e353.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

F1.jpg
    R1.jpg
    S1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Nooooo, I'm building up a Beone. But its from 2010. What size frame did you go for?

It's a 56. It actually has a 565mm toptube and a 160mm headtube which is pretty long and low by the standards of a lot of manufacturers now, but it suits me as I have a fairly long back and shortish legs. I wouldn't have actually thought it would be ideal geometry for you - don't you prefer a more upright position? Though the geo on your 2010 might be different for all I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

That is a sweet bike niceonetom

What the go on that? Class looking frame

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

niceonetom wrote: »
    It's a 56. It actually has a 565mm toptube and a 160mm headtube which is pretty long and low by the standards of a lot of manufacturers now, but it suits me as I have a fairly long back and shortish legs. I wouldn't have actually thought it would be ideal geometry for you - don't you prefer a more upright position? Though the geo on your 2010 might be different for all I know.
    I got a 56 with the same geometry. I have pretty much sorted out my back issues and have a 120mm stem down pretty low on the Giant with a 550mm top tube and 165mm headtube. So I reckoned I would be alright on the 56 with a 90 or 100mm stem. I'm only half way through the build. Moving house has delayed things. Need to buy some wheels for it, don't think I'll go deep section yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Very nice Tom, many happy miles on it! Yellow doesn't work for me on the wheels but other than that looks great. Just out of curiosity did you get to weigh the frame and the fork before putting them together?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

It's a pure beut Tom. Big success on it. Are the ex Hightoad wheels from yer man who sources ex pro kit. If so do you have any idea as to whose wheels?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭orangebud

oh my god so many nice bikes so jealous, anyways heres my baby

going to cycle lough corrib this year on her

492818344-c09cbe0d52a2be9401fd3e125c60778c.4f0b7878-scaled.jpg

• Advertisement

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity did you get to weigh the frame and the fork before putting them together?

I didn't weight it - the only scale I have is for weighing me not bike stuff. But Tour-Quaterly (very good german mag) did a big carbon frame test and they weighed the 56cm frame at 1035g and fork 384g (not sure if that's cut or not). That's respectable but not weenie. Not sure If it's any lighter than the PX pro-carbon it replaced (do you know?) but it's certainly stiffer.

As for the yellow decals...
    ROK ON wrote: »
    Are the ex Hightoad wheels from yer man who sources ex pro kit. If so do you have any idea as to whose wheels?

They are indeed ex Highroad Zipps from yer man. I don't know for certain whose they were originally but Bert Grabsch's name was mentioned at one point. He was selling Grabsch's road bike at the same time anyway. Alas, the wheels do not belong to me - they're blorg's - I'm just keeping them safe while he's travelling. I haven't had the courage to race them in anger as they would be a touch difficult to replace. They serve well for photo pimping purposes though, don't they. The bike now back on its shamefully shallow alu rims.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I didn't weight it - the only scale I have is for weighing me not bike stuff. But Tour-Quaterly (very good german mag) did a big carbon frame test and they weighed the 56cm frame at 1035g and fork 384g (not sure if that's cut or not). That's respectable but not weenie. Not sure If it's any lighter than the PX pro-carbon it replaced (do you know?)

The US PX website claims 1120+390=1510g for the medium size of the current Pro SL.

So you've saved at least 90g.

That's the equivalent of two whole nutrigrain elevenses! Woohoo! Not that I care of course. Weighweenieism is an affliction. Down with that kind of thing.

How does it feel comparing to the PX?

AstraMonti wrote: »
    How does it feel comparing to the PX?

The biggest difference I am aware of is the front end - it is very stiff, and in a good way. You know when you've got a bit of speed up and you come to a short rise, one you can power up without changing down by just standing and giving is some power for 20 or 30 seconds? Well that's when I notice the stiffness. The bike feels like it wants to go in a straight line while I'm rowing it from side to side with the bars whereas the planet-x sort of felt like it wanted to snake and weave with the front wheel while doing the same thing. There's a similar feeling of stability and predictability when sprinting out-of-the-saddle on the flat. I'm sure it's stiffer at the BB area too, but I don't claim to have the watts to really be able to tell much difference there. For all that solidity, it's still reasonably comfortable on our roads - more so that I thought it would be - and certainly much more so than my alu cannondale though maybe a tiny bit less cushy than the PX. It feels like a race bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The bike feels like it wants to go in a straight line while I'm rowing it from side to side with the bars whereas the planet-x sort of felt like it wanted to snake and weave with the front wheel while doing the same thing.

Does this mean you're now a fully paid-up member of the PlanetXsAreFloppy club?

Lumen wrote: »
    Does this mean you're now a fully paid-up member of the PlanetXsAreFloppy club?

Noodles, man! Fcuking NOODLES!!!

No seriously, they're stiff enough for most PX owners, and that's what matters. And how much do they cost now that the new lines of PX are out? They're a great bike for the money and I'm still planning on getting mine fixed at some point and making a winter bike of it.

I would be interested in a comparison with the new PX, when I re-finish the nanolight (saving weight - I know I know..) take it for a ride and tell me how it feels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Noodles, man! Fcuking NOODLES!!!

No seriously, they're stiff enough for most PX owners, and that's what matters. And how much do they cost now that the new lines of PX are out? They're a great bike for the money and I'm still planning on getting mine fixed at some point and making a winter bike of it.

Hey Tom, super job on the new bike - one question - where did you source the custom frame decals (name, flag)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

interested wrote: »
    Hey Tom, super job on the new bike - one question - where did you source the custom frame decals (name, flag)

I know of this place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

The biggest difference I am aware of is the front end - it is very stiff, and in a good way. You know when you've got a bit of speed up and you come to a short rise, one you can power up without changing down by just standing and giving is some power for 20 or 30 seconds? Well that's when I notice the stiffness. The bike feels like it wants to go in a straight line while I'm rowing it from side to side with the bars whereas the planet-x sort of felt like it wanted to snake and weave with the front wheel while doing the same thing. There's a similar feeling of stability and predictability when sprinting out-of-the-saddle on the flat. I'm sure it's stiffer at the BB area too, but I don't claim to have the watts to really be able to tell much difference there. For all that solidity, it's still reasonably comfortable on our roads - more so that I thought it would be - and certainly much more so than my alu cannondale though maybe a tiny bit less cushy than the PX. It feels like a race bike.

Know exactly what your talking about like the bike is stuck to the road on a track when you push it, noticed the exact same thing when i got my canyon

interested wrote: »

From HERE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Thanks Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

The bike is a beaut niceonetom. Love the colour. Best of luck with it, should earn you a few points this year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

If I had a few bob....

14667-big.jpg

Available as a complete bike as shown or as frame only here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

My new yoke:

P1010517.jpg

Sorry about the crappy photo - my camera's playing up.

It's a Felt F1 SL frame with original carbon finishing kit (all bought off Transporting of this parish) with my own Fulcrum Racing Zero wheels, a new Ultegra groupset and Keo 2 Max carbon pedals. Haven't taken it for a proper spin yet but the run home from town suggests it's an excellent ride. Haven't a clue what it weighs in at but it's not a lot.

I'll have to start thinking up new excuses now.

That's lovely. I've the same bike myself - same frame Wiggo rode to 4th in the tour year before last (or maybe even 3rd...tba eh? ahem ahem :)). Super light.

I always thought it needed a splash of colour but I can't decide if I love or hate your red fulcrums there. Needs a better pic. Or maybe another red detail somewhere else - like bar tape or saddle or something.

I think one of the nicest bikes I've ever seen is that model F1 SLR. The R came with sram red and had some red detailing in the frame set paint scheme. It's just gorgeous. I'll see can I dig up a pic.

Here it is. It's belonged to a mate and it's just sensational in the "flesh". I really wanted one myself but settled for the non "r"

IMG_1577.jpg
    IMG_1578.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I'm not mad about the red to be honest but I'm buggered if I'm shelling out for new wheels. There's a red headset cap and one red spacer but it's pure tokenism. A red saddle and red bartape would have been a bold move but I stuck with the original saddle (money again!) and I wimped out on the bartape.

Edit - the above refers to my own bike. The pics you posted are just gorgeous. My thunder well and truly stolen! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

fat bloke wrote: »
    Here it is. It's belonged to a mate and it's just sensational in the "flesh". I really wanted one myself but settled for the non "r"
    The drop from seat to bars seems extreme. Do you really cycle in that position?

Other than that observation, she's a beaut!

Advertisement