Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorcycle FAQ

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Murfteck

Hello All.
    I'm looking at this sticky and looking at all the comments, I'm probably seeing my answer but not listening so here goes with my question and all I need is for someone to confirm.

I used to ride motorcycles years ago and would love to get back into riding them again. I never had a full bike license but had a few "old" style provisionals before. I should add that I have a car license for decades and I'm now well over 45yrs old. Basically do I have to start again and do it the new way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

I'm not surprised you couldn't find anything in this sticky :D
    If your bike provisional is over 5 years expired then you would have to start again as far as i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Wossack

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    I'm not surprised you couldn't find anything in this sticky :D
    If your bike provisional is over 5 years expired then you would have to start again as far as i know.

I think its over 10 years - might need to give the Motor Tax office a bell tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Murfteck

Thanks guys for the update. I will ring the local motor tax office and let ye know how I got on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 yamahaman

just to say i'm with quinn direct who are a lot cheaper than the quotes i got from those companies... especialy for younger drivers i would say it wud save u a fortune... but they are still basturds ... like everything else that takes all my money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

Quick question. I want to take a restricted 650cc to Europe on a full licence with a pillion passenger. At the moment I only have 3rd party Fire & Theft insurance wise. Can I take it over or do I need to adjust my cover and/or wait until my two year restriction is up?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

flyton5 wrote: »
    Quick question. I want to take a restricted 650cc to Europe on a full licence with a pillion passenger. At the moment I only have 3rd party Fire & Theft insurance wise. Can I take it over or do I need to adjust my cover and/or wait until my two year restriction is up?
    As long as you have a full license for the bike you are riding then all you need by law is third party insurance. I.e. full licence states the dates for restriction so your driving abroad are also subject to that restriction. Obviously learner permits only allow riding in this jurisdiction.
    Depending on your insurer, the T's n C's may stipulate conditions on cover outside the country. Eg. 30 days max, or eu only etc. etc. You're better off ringing them to ensure you have the cover for your intended use.

Also, when traveling abroad,you should take the original full a4 policy documents with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

My first Provisional/Learners permit is about to expire. Do I have to apply for the test now or can I just pop down to the Tax Office and get a new one?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

TheZohan wrote: »
    My first Provisional/Learners permit is about to expire. Do I have to apply for the test now or can I just pop down to the Tax Office and get a new one?

Thanks.

From the citizen's information website:
    A driving test is a compulsory requirement for motorcyclists who have been issued with two 2-year provisional driving licences. It is important to be aware that you may not apply for a third or subsequent provisional licence for any category of vehicle unless you can show evidence you have applied for a driving test.

Seeing as you are going from your first to second permit there is no need for the test. So yeah, just pop down to the tax office to get your new permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

Just a quick question with regards insurance, is the first post in this thread still accurate when it says Carole Nash and Hibernian are the only two bike insurers in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Just a quick question with regards insurance, is the first post in this thread still accurate when it says Carole Nash and Hibernian are the only two bike insurers in Ireland?

Adelaide who are based in the North cover motorbikes. I think Quinn Direct do too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

No.

There are four companies that do insurance for bikes in Ireland at the moment:
    Carole Nash
    Quinne, or whatever they are called now.
    Adelaide
    Anon

P.C. wrote: »
    No.

Carole Nash
    Quinne, or whatever they are called now.
    Adelaide
    Aon

FYP there PC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

P.C. wrote: »
    No.

Carole Nash
    Quinne, Liberty Insurance.
    Adelaide
    Anon

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Outofthecity

eurofoxy wrote: »
    yes you will have to do the ibt and also you will have to do the theory test, having a car licence means nothing other than you can drive a car and scooter under 50cc.

Can anyone confirm the bit here about a car licence being ok for scooter under50cc .....i have heard it before but cant find it written anywhere . thank you

[/COLOR]

Can anyone confirm the bit here about a car licence being ok for scooter under50cc .....i have heard it before but cant find it written anywhere . thank you

Have a read of this post here

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Outofthecity

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Have a read of this post here
    Very much appreciated !

• Registered Users Posts: 36 danzdan

I'm a leaner driver in Ireland. I've drivin In Spain for 10 years so I think I'm a pretty okay driver. I'm always careful and and never drive like a maniac. But I recently drive from Galway to Shannon. On the back roads. Not a bad drive, but not a safe drive either. Why aren't experienced learner motorcyclist aloud to drive on the motorway. The motorway Is far safer than some of the back roads I had to take with diesel spills and wet slurry on the roads. Just an a thought I had while I was driving. Thought I'd share. Any feed back greatly appreciated. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭gipi

danzdan,

No learner drivers (whether it be car or bike) are allowed on the motorway in Ireland regardless of experience.

The ban is most likely because of the increased speeds on the motorway, which a learner might find daunting.

It was the same in the UK up until this year when they changed their rules to allow learners onto the motorway.

It's possible that the Irish will look at the pros and cons of the UK situation and might decide to change the rules.

As an aside, if you've driven in Spain, did you not swap your licence for an Irish one, or did you not ride bikes over there? Why did you have to start as a learner again?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 danzdan

@gipi. While I lived in Spain I drove 125 type cruiser jap import. As I had full driving license for a car I could drive the motorcycle too. It was great, cheap insurance to. I looked into doing the test over there but it's alot more complicated than here or in the uk. I decided to wait till I moved back, being quiet content driving this bike. I know have a restricted sv 650. It's an absolute dream. I am applying to do my test shortly but will get a few pretest lessons to knock out some of my bad habits of which I'm sure I have. Thanks for reply. Happy and safe driving to all ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 DublinMan664

Insurance
    In Ireland, there are only 2 motorbike insurers, Hibernian and Carole Nash.
    Im in insured with liberty on a bike ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Insurance

No, there are more than that. There's also AON, AXA, Adelaide and Liberty like you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Insurance

Only 2 dedicated bike insurers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,903 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Only 2 dedicated bike insurers.
    No, there are more than that. There's also AON, AXA, Adelaide and Liberty like you said.

Doesnt matter whether theres only 2 dedicated, 4 choices is better than 2. Or having no choice when some lads started biking

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

GBX wrote: »
    Doesnt matter whether theres only 2 dedicated, 4 choices is better than 2. Or having no choice when some lads started biking

I was just clearing up what he thought it was. :) I'll take whoever gives me the best cover for the smallest amount of money. :)

I'll take whoever gives me the best cover for the smallest amount of money. :)

Who wouldn't!? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,903 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I was just clearing up what he thought it was. :) I'll take whoever gives me the best cover for the smallest amount of money. :)

You can get really cheap covers in Argos :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

Looking to get into bikes, doing my IBT in a couple of weeks.

just googleing a bit about helmets, you can get a helmet on amazon for 50 quid.

I presume that you can't sell a helmet that is not safe, but 50 quid seems vey cheap, what is the catch with those helmets?

kierank01 wrote: »
    Looking to get into bikes, doing my IBT in a couple of weeks.

just googleing a bit about helmets, you can get a helmet on amazon for 50 quid.

I presume that you can't sell a helmet that is not safe, but 50 quid seems vey cheap, what is the catch with those helmets?

Not going to get into a "how valuable is your head" debate, but I wouldn't be putting a €50 helmet on me noggin!! You don't have to get a €700 Arai as your first helmet but I wouldn't be putting the equivalent of an egg on either.

There are plenty of "entry level" helmets you can get which won't cost mad money. Nitro for example aren't a bad lid and won't break the bank. I recently had an off (landed on my head and shoulder) wearing the HJC IS-16 and for what it cost it fared very well and did it's job!

Riding a bike in Ireland is hard enough with the general attitude of Irish drivers towards bikers, be sensible with what gear you use. It's you life! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Not going to get into a "how valuable is your head" debate, but I wouldn't be putting a €50 helmet on me noggin!! You don't have to get a €700 Arai as your first helmet but I wouldn't be putting the equivalent of an egg on either.

There are plenty of "entry level" helmets you can get which won't cost mad money. Nitro for example aren't a bad lid and won't break the bank. I recently had an off (landed on my head and shoulder) wearing the HJC IS-16 and for what it cost it fared very well and did it's job!

Riding a bike in Ireland is hard enough with the general attitude of Irish drivers towards bikers, be sensible with what gear you use. It's you life! :)
    Had one of those myself. Very cool looking lids for the price. Washable liners and padding, and space for bluetooth intergration.

Advertisement