Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorcycle FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

sorry, wrong thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

Quick point of clarification for anyone new to this and reading it for the first time.
    As not stated in the link above-once your full B license has been issued before october 2007, then you are entitled to drive a moped. However if you have only gotten your license since after october 2007, as far as I'm aware you must sit another theory test and apply for the M license.

Im open to correction, but thats the way I think it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 RandomQuestion

Does anyone know if motorcycles and mopeds are exempt from pay and display? Cause eh where would we display it?

Just got my license today :D and will be parking in a pay and display area tonight, so if anyone could let me know or give point me in the right direction it would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Find somewhere a bit away from the P&D area with a wide footpath and park there. I park on the footpath all over dublin and have never had issues. As long as your parked on a wide part with plenty of room for pedestrians + buggies and what not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭jmck87

Is the holder of a Cat A full licence permitted to drive mopeds of 50cc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Does anyone know if motorcycles and mopeds are exempt from pay and display? Cause eh where would we display it?

Just got my license today :D and will be parking in a pay and display area tonight, so if anyone could let me know or give point me in the right direction it would be great.

I think I read somewhere that it's illegal for a motorcycle to use a pay and display area, that's why they don't ticket motorbikes for parking on the kerb once you don't take the p!ss.
    jmck87 wrote: »
    Is the holder of a Cat A full licence permitted to drive mopeds of 50cc?

Yes, provided they have insurance:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Bb4sure

I have a provisional license which covers the 33bhp. I'm 21 and wanting to know if I get the full license now. What cc bike can I drive after that? Do I have to do more tests to upgrade through higher cc categorys???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Bb4sure wrote: »
    I have a provisional license which covers the 33bhp. I'm 21 and wanting to know if I get the full license now. What cc bike can I drive after that? Do I have to do more tests to upgrade through higher cc categorys???

You can drive any CC bike you wish providing it is restricted to 33bhp for 2 years after the date of issue on your full driving licence & you can get insured of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

Hi all,
    I'm new to this site so i'm sorry if I'm stpping on toes when I post this but!!!
    I've got my bike test in a few days and have just noticed the test is for Cat. A.
    Now my learner permit says A< (restricted) and the number 993.
    My bike is a 650cc and I've been told by different people that

1, i can't do the test
    2, i have to restrict the bike (which is fine)
    3, i have to apply for an A<25kw test.
    4, cancel the test until I find out some more info.
    (I've cancelled twice because I was still working
    on getting the bike ready)

I was on a 250 from '03 until '07 and am on my third lerner permit now.

Any clarification would be appreciated, I getting the last of my lessons tonight and think I'll turn up for the test anyway and see how it goes.
    Thanks in advance and safe journey

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Hi all,
    I'm new to this site so i'm sorry if I'm stpping on toes when I post this but!!!
    I've got my bike test in a few days and have just noticed the test is for Cat. A.
    Now my learner permit says A< (restricted) and the number 993.
    My bike is a 650cc and I've been told by different people that

1, i can't do the test
    2, i have to restrict the bike (which is fine)
    3, i have to apply for an A<25kw test.
    4, cancel the test until I find out some more info.
    (I've cancelled twice because I was still working
    on getting the bike ready)

I was on a 250 from '03 until '07 and am on my third lerner permit now.

Any clarification would be appreciated, I getting the last of my lessons tonight and think I'll turn up for the test anyway and see how it goes.
    Thanks in advance and safe journey

You'll have to sign a declaration saying the bike is restricted & insured - there will be no formal checks made. You can do the test on the bike you're driving...

Just done mine yesterday;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

Sweet! How'd you get on, any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

FYI, the link to http://www.soyouwanttodrive.com/ for licence information on the FAQ is bad:

"Account suspended

Account for domain www.soyouwanttodrive.com has been suspended".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Jokermuffin

Hello

I apologise in advance for being seriously dim, but I have read EVERYTHING about scooters and mopeds and bikes in general and I am actually more confused. If somebody doesn't mind helping me out in their own time I would really appreciate it......

Sceil is - My partner and I have bought a Vespa PX80 that is 139cc. My partner has a full driving licence and I am on the short notice list for mine so I should have one in a few weeks, but for now I would like to learn and use the scooter. We both passed our Theory test for motorbikes this week so I am trying to find out what exactly the next step is before I get us insured.

1. Do we both need a new learner permit licence?
    2. Do we need to do a training course to be allowed ride?
    3. Can either of us take a pilon passenger?

I know that the answers to these questions are probably jumping out at me from various different posts but i just can't seem to get my head around them.

Thank you in advance!!!
    Sound.

M&V

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Sceil is - My partner and I have bought a Vespa PX80 that is 139cc. My partner has a full driving licence and I am on the short notice list for mine so I should have one in a few weeks, but for now I would like to learn and use the scooter. We both passed our Theory test for motorbikes this week so I am trying to find out what exactly the next step is before I get us insured.

I'm reading this as your husband has a full CAT B License. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    1. Do we both need a new learner permit licence?

You need to get your A cat placed onto your current permit. Fill out a new provisional form without the payment or eye check, tick the new box for Cat A as well as your Cat B section and hand it in with the theory test results and your current permit. A new one will be sent out.

Your partner will most likely need to apply for a new permit if he has had his full license over 2 years.
    2. Do we need to do a training course to be allowed ride?

No but it would be recommended.

3. Can either of us take a pilon passenger?

Only with a full bike license. After two years of holding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,936 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You can carry a pillion passenger as soon as you get your full licence, de-restriction has to wait two years.

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Jokermuffin

It's a full B category licence, over two years. I'm only getting mine in the next few weeks.

Thanks for all the help.

Sound.

M&V

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

ninja900 wrote: »
    You can carry a pillion passenger as soon as you get your full licence, de-restriction has to wait two years.

Cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Channel

A. Where could I buy good motorcycle helmets without being ripped off.
    B. Are there helmets with communication devices?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Channel wrote: »
    A. Where could I buy good motorcycle helmets without being ripped off.
    B. Are there helmets with communication devices?

Cotters are having a sale next Saturday, you'll get a cracker of a helmet for a good price. Check the other thread.

Don't think there are any that come with comms, maybe you should look at getting something like the Scala Rider 2

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭parttime

Ok, so i have a provisional licence for category b and category a1. Does this mean i can drive said power of motorbike, provided I have insurence? All replies apprieciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

parttime wrote: »
    Ok, so i have a provisional licence for category b and category a1. Does this mean i can drive said power of motorbike, provided I have insurence? All replies apprieciated!

Yup, you can drive any bike within the power restrictions specified by the A1 licence.
    Specifically that is: Motorcycles up to 11kW and up to 125cc with or without a sidecar and you must be at least 16 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭parttime

Cheers nereid :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Can one of the Mods ammend the orig post, now that Hibernian don't do bike ins, and haven't done for 3 or 4 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

a_ominous wrote: »
    Well since I suggested it, I'll start the ball rolling.

Licence
    You need a licence to ride a bike. Here for some details.

There seems to be a problem with this link guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jrt123

Currently driving a 50cc moped on full car license. Can I get a 125 scooter with a full car license, or do I need to do the whole 16hrs driver training stuff to move to a 125 scooter?

thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

You need to do IBT.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,936 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

KamiKazi wrote: »
    You need to do IBT.

And get an A1 or A learner permit of course...

Incidentally, if your full car licence was first obtained on or after 21 October 2006, you're NOT entitled to ride a moped on that licence. Source: citizensinformation.ie

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DF1

Just wondering how the new changes introduced in december effect a new rider.
    I never had a bike licence (car 14 years), do I now have to do a set number of hours training before I can even do test ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Wossack

DF1 wrote: »
    I never had a bike licence (car 14 years), do I now have to do a set number of hours training before I can even do test ?

if you've never held a learner permit prior to dec 6 2010, you need to pass an Initial Basic Training (IBT) course of 16 hours

not only will you not be able to pass your test without a IBT cert, you're not allowed out on public roads without one :o

more details

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

DF1 wrote: »

yes you will have to do the ibt and also you will have to do the theory test, having a car licence means nothing other than you can drive a car and scooter under 50cc.

Advertisement