Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DAB in Ireland: RTE multiplex closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Hi there,

I got it online from expansys.ie, here is the link: www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=159907

It was €108 inc delivery and I had it in my hands in within 24 hrs of the order being made.

While driving in Arklow tonight I got a signal for a moment but it was gone before I got to play...

I have it set up in the car now and here is the pics you asked for.

Hope it's some help to anyone thinking of getting it.

IMG_3028.jpg

Here is what the antenna looks like.

IMG_3023.jpg

Here you can see the cables hidden as best I could: Number 1 is the power cable and 2 is the antenna cable.

IMG_3030-1.jpg
    A close up from the side.

IMG_3027.jpg
    A head on close up.

IMG_3029.jpg

From the drivers view point

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

david23 wrote: »
    I'm not sure but I would wait for this one:

http://www.robertsradio.co.uk/pages/wm202.html

Only £10 more and it receives DAB/DAB+/Wi-Fi, a very impressive piece of kit.
    It uses this chipset:

http://www.frontier-silicon.com/media/releases/07/1015_rapidepv6.htm

That is quite possibly the mutts nuts. Thanks for the heads up! :)

god's toy wrote: »
    I have it set up in the car now and here is the pics you asked for.

You are a gent. :) Many thanks for this!

€90.95 without postage, its bang on the exchange rate too, £69 stg.

Gah!!!! Decisions!! :D:confused::mad::)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

DMC wrote: »
    Time to tally the bitrates again when R1 Extra is turned on on Mux 1

RTE 2fm - Joint Stereo - 112kbps
    RTE 2XM - Joint Stereo - 128kbps
    RTE Choice - Mono - 64kbps
    RTE Gold - Joint Stereo - 112kbps
    RTE Junior - Mono - 80kbps
    RTE Lyric - Joint Stereo - 160kbps
    RTE News - Mono - 64kbps

RTE Radio 1 - Joint Stereo - 112kbps
    R1 Extra - Mono - 64kbps
    RnaG - Joint Stereo - 112kbps
    RTE Sport - Not available
    RTE xxxx - Mono - 96kbps

Edit: added in that all RTE stations in stereo are in Joint Stereo

Seems to be slightly different in Cork now (I don't know if the list for Dublin above has changed since last month). The 10 stations in Cork are:

RTE 2fm - 128kbps
    RTE 2XM - 128 kbps
    RTE Choice - 80 kbps
    RTE Gold - 112 kbps
    RTE Junior - 80 kbps
    RTE Lyric - 160 kbps
    RTE News Heads - 64 kbps
    RTE Radio 1 - 128 kbps
    RTE RnaG - 112 kbps
    RTE xxxxx - 128 kbps

The bitrates are the same or higher, but we don't get R1 Extra yet it seems.

• Advertisement

R1 extra will only appear when there is content available, so I'd advise check at 7pm on Friday night when the next LW schedule split occurs, for League of Ireland soccer.
    The bitrates quoted from me in your post shows them when R1 Extra is active, and when it not, the bitrates change to what you have now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭BHG

to confirm, twaz me in the irish times article. I got slightly mis quoted but I think the RTE bloke was mis quoted to be fair. I broadly stand over the arguments made. The fact of DAB funding coming from MW is not disputed by RTE and I learned of it from meeting with the DoC.

Now RTE have u-turned on second helpings. they promised it (i heard the promos) to RTE Choice but it has been been dropped. Can I ask, does radio 1 extra have a schedule? does its eurobird version have EPG? does it show prog info? did RTE make use of radio 1 extra on April 2nd when schedules got scuppered by Bertie news?

BHG wrote: »
    to confirm, twaz me in the irish times article. I got slightly mis quoted but I think the RTE bloke was mis quoted to be fair. I broadly stand over the arguments made. The fact of DAB funding coming from MW is not disputed by RTE and I learned of it from meeting with the DoC.

No worries Brian, it seemed like a bad sub-edit when I read it. I'm not sure that the author of the piece understood that DAB is really digital FM, and not a direct replacement for MW. And I agree that its is wholly logical for the existing MW funding being moved into DAB.
    Now RTE have u-turned on second helpings. they promised it (i heard the promos) to RTE Choice but it has been been dropped. Can I ask, does radio 1 extra have a schedule? does its eurobird version have EPG? does it show prog info? did RTE make use of radio 1 extra on April 2nd when schedules got scuppered by Bertie news?

But is RTÉ Choice just "Second Helpings 24/7" ? They appear to have scuppered the rolling sports news station.

For Radio 1 Extra, it would have to be checked for now/next on Sky at the time, as the radio stations don't do a 7 day EPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

All radio stations were off yesterday for a while from Mullaghanish. Wishful thinking that it was a DAB-related upgrade?
    http://www.rte.ie/aertel/169-03.html

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭More Music

It's not DAB related.

Don't think everybody was off, defo on RTE and Today FM.

The Aertel notice was for today though....presume it was a typo. Was there an outage today?

• Advertisement

DMC wrote: »
    And I agree that its is wholly logical for the existing MW funding being moved into DAB.

logical or illogical ?

logical or illogical ?

Dats wot I rote :)

Radio 1 Extra is not on DAB at present, Saturday Sportsnight is on LW and online, with GAA coverage, but its not on DAB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

sweet, I always thought this was just in Dublin. I happen to live just down the road from the spur hill mast in Cork.. Hmm, Must try and pick myself up a cheap DAB radio and try this out!

I see the RTE DAB station XXXXX has been renamed 'RTE Pulse DAB'.
    They even have a few jingles promoting the new name and I heard a song skip a few times on my way home and getting the next song que all wrong suggesting it was a CD/DJ not MP3 like they been using up to now.

yes I see/hear XXXXX is now RTEPULSE 'RTE PULSE DAB' stereo J 128kbits with scrolling now playing data. - ooh and it has jingles (house made?) old skool dance is its playlists

>>Radio 1 Extra is not on DAB at present

not at present it opts in on split going mono 96kbits while RTE Radio 1 drops to mono 96kbits.

bhg.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/08/nick_piggott_dab/

The UK's Bubbling mud and Germany's Dab+

DVB-h for Radio gets a mention (low power, but costly infrastructure, Italy installed over 1000 DVB-h sites, many of course on TV sites)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

How many DAB stations would I expect to pick-up in the South Dublin area on my DAB Home radio?

Just curious.

ArthurF wrote: »
    How many DAB stations would I expect to pick-up in the South Dublin area on my DAB Home radio?

Just curious.

20. 21 if you include Radio 1 Extra when its on-air (sport and mass at the weekend)

Thats about the number I have alright (with roof aerial) which I probably dont need, but the coaxial lead fits nicely into the back of my new DAB Radio.

• Advertisement

Anything more than the whip aerial on the unit itself is overkill in South Dublin. 100% is all the signal strength you'll get, and if its near a window, you'll get 100%.

Just to explain why I use the roof aerial.

Firstly, I want the NTL BBC FM Stations (analogue), this requires a coaxial lead from the NTL socket (fair enough), but having connected the NTL lead I noticed that the DAB signal had been seriously corrupted, so I pulled out the NTL lead & connected the Roof aerial "Bingo" for the DAB reception ~ but then no NTL FM signal.

Hence the splitter combining two coaxial leads into one & into the back of my Radio :) so I now have my Seven BBC FM stations from NTL + all the DAB stations available from my aerial.

I have tried the little 'wire aerial' supplied with the radio, but it struggles to pick-up Today FM & Newstalk on DAB, hence the roof Aerial.

What a palava, but I am happy now :)

Understandable now, you couldn't have the telescopic aerial in and get NTL cable. :)

In other news.... I see Lyric FM* now has NOW PLAYING song info on live programming.

* FM sounds bad in a channel name that on a variety of digital formats, sounds dated!

Hmmm. No R1 Extra on the air tonight, Friday Sportsnight should be on.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Morphy Richards have a new DAB /DRM(2.5Mhz to 30MHz) AM/FM radio with "pause live radio", "record to SD card" and MP3 playback.

Review in RSGB mag.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not new. Two years old. Not made anymore! Its moved off to the 'legacy' section of their website, I've a feeling that Dimplex decided it was a bit stupid having two divisions making radios...

No idea why Radcom took this long to review it, I've had mine for months and months now.

ArthurF wrote: »
    Firstly, I want the NTL BBC FM Stations (analogue), this requires a coaxial lead from the NTL socket (fair enough), but having connected the NTL lead I noticed that the DAB signal had been seriously corrupted, so I pulled out the NTL lead & connected the Roof aerial "Bingo" for the DAB reception ~ but then no NTL FM signal.
    Probably BBC2 analogue corrupting the DAB stream I bet.

new DAB channel on mux 1 Dublin
    PLAYBACK / RTE PLAYBACK DAB
    Mono 64kbps
    its playing Derek Mooney & Joe Duffy on top of each other - there's a mental image for ya!

doesn't seem to have wiped out any other channel so #11 (counting chill/junior only once and not counting radio 1 extra)

What is RTE Choice if there is a RTE Playback ??
    What is DAB RTE Playback during the hours 0200-0600 ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

new DAB channel on mux 1 Dublin
    PLAYBACK / RTE PLAYBACK DAB
    Mono 64kbps
    its playing Derek Mooney & Joe Duffy on top of each other - there's a mental image for ya!

doesn't seem to have wiped out any other channel so #11 (counting chill/junior only once and not counting radio 1 extra)

What is RTE Choice if there is a RTE Playback ??
    What is DAB RTE Playback during the hours 0200-0600 ??

That's been on air with a test tone since at least last saturday

• Advertisement

Guys,

While driving to work I did my weekley re-scann of my Pure DAB radio just short of the cherrywood roundabout (south Dublin) and picked up 39 stations all from the UK!.. It's a pity none of them worked but my radio did record all the names and none were Irish.

I wonder was this a freak thing or maybe some one knows a reason for it.

Advertisement