Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

worst game

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Ban them. If only for the past 7 minutes I've wasted skimming through their posts. Of the two I am mildly less disgusted by Praetorian.

Rise Of The Robots sucked.

There were a few demos I played on the amiga which were pretty dire. Can't remember their names though.

Medievil was terrible too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,464 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Unreal was a great game, and since my post count is 3 times greater than retr0gamer's that makes me 3 times more likely to be right (out of interest how far did u get into it retr0 ?)

Unreal II wasn't a patch on the original game, hell, even digitiser's mr. biffo loved Unreal :D

fill in the * in this retr0 with > or <

zelda 3 * ff7

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,856 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I got about 3/4 of the way through (checked it on a walkthrough to see how much more of my life I had to waste on it). I very critical of FPS and Unreal just isn't my game.

Hmm, Zelda 3 was great fun to play but for overall experience FF7 wins for me:

Zelda 3 < FF7

• Registered Users Posts: 16,464 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You're a film buff then retr0, more than a games player. Thinking back to ff7, it is oh so very linear, I don't think there was a moment in it on the first run through that I was left wondering exactly what to do next, it's like a game on rails, akin to that other movie game metal gear solid 2, and while it does it a hell of alot better than mgs2, the gameplay doesn't have the cleverness that a game like zelda does, where it's driven by the games player, rather than the games designer. By far the best squaresoft games i've played were secret of mana and chrono trigger, and Chrono trigger was much better played at 255% speed on a pc (level up++). Both of them offered alot more freedom due to the less dependency on fmv to drive the story on, but they still aren't much of a patch on zelda as a game. The best bit of FF7 I thought, was the golden saucer section, just because it was like an arcade, you could do whatever u wanted there and not be particularly worried about your next mission etc. and I think the most heart breaking moment for ff games is when u see a trainer that can give u all the experience you want with a few clicks of a mouse rather than hours of random battles.

I can see why you didn't like Unreal, the player makes the story, you read a walk through for it, meaning you probably missed alot of the subtleties, or the surprise of set pieces (like when all the lights go out and a skaarj warrior jumps at you, or the big giants start attacking). For instance, all those planet inhabitants, you know, the mystic guys, when I first played the game, they'd always jump out in front going "HABUDEE!" and i'd blast them straight away with a rocket, and then later on they'd all be afraid of you (after i'd learned they were nice :)), or reading the translator messages; "we've found a new weapon, we're going to assault the skaarj in the morning, we've found a safe area to stay the night"; and finding the area about 15 mins later with a sniper rifle and two people killed in their sleep. Hell the most frightened I was when playing on the pc was on the ship at the start, i'd just got 4.1 sound and the dead guy convulses a couple of seconds after you approach him. But then if the game takes a bit of effort to immerse yourself in and become the charactar, rather than have a persona forced on u, it must be a crap game eh ? :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,856 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Actually I didn't use a walkthrough. When I was sick of it I just had a peak at where abouts in the game that the level I was in was. Also its just as linear as FF7. Theres no fredom of movement you just progress from level to level and the odd bit of exploration for some hidden weapons and items. The friendly guys were just stupid and deserved to be killed by the skaarj. And i'd never seen a game before that turned out the lights and set a bad guy out after you (it was so obvious what would happen next). I thought the soundtrack was naff as well and the atmosphere and style had been done in Quake already.

As for the Zelda vs. Final Fantasy VII I admitted that zelda was a far more intelligent and fun game to play. However I preferred FFVII because of the impact it had on me. That game changed my out look on video games and life. I can't say that about zelda 3 no matter how brilliant it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭batman_oh

gonna have to say captain novolin on the snes
    its the worst of all the terrible zsnes roms i have and is frankly offensive to play

Advertisement