Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I buy a console?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

Will the two of you stop it.

Thrid Echelon is one of these people that if you showed him proof of XBOXs causing the mumps he would come back saying it better cancer than ever before and he wanted the mumps from his console in the first place.

And you weemcd. He has been trying to wind you up all this time and you have let yourself be sucked in.

edit

Sorry touchy thing I put in first

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

i could say the same about you weemcd... i have email messages popping up every few seconds from your replies...

someone ban you for annoyance

hey wolf..

im just making points for and against said games consoles that alledgedly causes said disease.....

all my points were valid and i think a bit unfair to say that i was causing trouble or civil unrest on purpose.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

/self restrain wont reply

anway wolfie (I CAN CALL YOU WOLFIE?) im a suker for being sucked in comes from years of habit:) :)

ps thats the first time iv showed restrain in my life

Originally posted by Third_Echelon
    i now know that you are taking the pi$$ when you say that splinter cell is better on PS2 than XBOX.. dont make me laugh.... the graphics on the ps2 version are horribly jagged and unsmooth... the xbox version has perfect graphics and the control pad is better suited to this game... and before you say it i have played it on both

No im not. I played both and I felt that the PS2 version was better. Do you own a PS2? I persure not so how can you comment on something that you havent tried?

Also, the reason I harp on about the PC been better than the XBOX is that a vast amonut of people do own PCs and are more lighly to get an additional PS2 rather than buy an XBOX, this been the case the XBOX will soon go under. After all who is going to make games for a console that most people dont have?

Also the comment about PS2 game drying up due to PS3 is a very pious one, after this didnt happen when the PS2 was realased. PS are backward compatable and this mean games will still be made.

• Advertisement

my brother has a PS2 which i do play quite often... i have tried it so i can comment...

i do agree that the pc is better than the xbox for obvious reasons, but the xbox isnt a pc its a games console which is a point that a lot of people seem to miss...

now come on.. how many quality titles are still made for PS1?? not many... its mostly crap and re-releases of older games etc.. someone who has a ps2 doesnt buy ps1 games..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Buy a memory card for the cube, wether you have the console or not, and look at it and go insane.

ITS JUST SO SMALL!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAH! heh..heeh

now theres a man talking sense....

nice

Originally posted by Third_Echelon
    my brother has a PS2 which i do play quite often... i have tried it so i can comment...

i do agree that the pc is better than the xbox for obvious reasons, but the xbox isnt a pc its a games console which is a point that a lot of people seem to miss...

No my point here is that the games made for it are basically PC games and what im saying is that poeple that all reday have a PC would like a PS2 and not an XBOX. Therefore, as I have already said why make games for a console no one owns.

now come on.. how many quality titles are still made for PS1?? not many... its mostly crap and re-releases of older games etc.. someone who has a ps2 doesnt buy ps1 games..

Of course no titles are still made for for the PS1 I never said that they were. What I did say was that when the PS2 came out the titles for the PS1 didn't dry up instantly. As you intoned from one of your eariler posts that when the PS3 come out all games will stop for the PS2.

But also it funny that you bring up the PS3 with that coming out next year the XBOX will be sunk and little or no games of quality will come for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,969 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The fact is that at the moment there is only one good game for the xbox that I can name that isn't already available on another platform or will soon be and it's Project Gotham Racing. And that is basically MSR 2.0

Think about it, what is the point in owning an xbox when you can play all of it's best games on other platforms and get to play all the other great games that won't ever appear on xbox, of which there are many. That is why I won't buy an xbox and will not until there is something that interests and frankly there isn't anything.

P.S. Halo is half a great game.

• Advertisement

never fear... the xbox 2 is near.... they should go head to head.... both with scheduled release dates in 2005/2006

you are saying that people who already have a pc will not buy an xbox.. i think this is being a bit simplistic... i know a lot of people who own xbox also play pc games... there is also another market of people as ive previously mentioned who are not pc gamers who the xbox may appeal to... people just dont stick to one platform anymore.. a lot of people have pc, xbox, ps2 and gc... perfect combo id say... but you cannot compare you to everyone else...

its all down to personal choice really.... i would much prefer a more powerful games console which the xbox nodoubtedly is... all these games you talk of will more than likely be coming out on it as well or there are similar titles available... game companies are aware now that the big money is in the multi platform titles.. why exclude a whole market of gamers when they can make money on them.....

i myself prefer playing console games.... there are great games that i play on pc as well though.... multiplayer games such as FIFA etc are better suited to console...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭deadduck

get a gamecube, great controller and plenty of the best games you won't get anywhere else.

im currently thinking about getting a GameCube... the only real reason is for games such as mario, zelda, monkey ball etc.. metroid prime looks class...

seen a class package in Newry for £140.. it had the two retro zelda games, fifa 2003 and two controllers... i thought that was good value... that only €200

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

I have a suspicion Third_Echelon is a troll account.

A

what the hell is a troll account????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

umm....someone who creates a second/third etc account to just generally piss people off/troll?

no this aint no troll account.....

i aint pissing people off... whatever happened to expressing one's opinions on subjects that they are interested in....

throughout this thread there is no point made to me where i haven't had a reasonable answer to various peoples views or questions.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Here's a mad idea, how about we actually talk about consoles? That seems to be the topic at the top of this page.

Mad idea that amp you crazy mofo ;)

As for the possibility of 3rd ech been a troll account I dont know he hasnt annoyed me too badly yet :D

Anyway back on topic. 3rd Ech (soz cant be arsed tyin out you full name :() Please READ the posts as I have had to repeat myself repeated and I will do so again now.

A vast amount of people who play games will have access to a PC, be it thier brothers, fathers, mothers, sisters, whatever. This been the case any of the decent games on the XBOX eg halo will be better and better played in the PC.

Now yes I get your point about the XBOX been open for people that have a PC, but this just isnt the case. The XBOX at the moment doesnt even hold half the market share that the PS2 does. As such software developers arent going to make games for a console that isnt in half the peoples houses and therefore less games and directly as a result lesser quality games will be on the XBOX.

When it comes down to it the XBOX atm doesnt have the software base or even the ownership base to justify its future sales or even dare I say it an XBOX 2. Even if some good titles come out for it they have to be titles that are so good they make people want to go out and buy an XBOX for that reason alone.

As for converting games from version to version goes this will happen with all the goods games on the XBOX but not vica versa. Heres why.

Lets say.... im a software developer I want to make money. If there is a good game on the XBOX its code is in a PC type format and as such is easy tyo convert to the PS2. Also, the majority of people who own consoles own a PS2, therefore, if I convert it I am appealing to the largest audience and im garunteed a good return.

Now the filpside. A good game on the PS2 wont get converted for the following reason. Again from a developers point of view, Im not going to change it over because this time im going the other harder way of changing PS2 code into XBOX code which is harder. Now to the crux or the matter, why should I as a developer spend a load of money when I look at the amount of people that own an XBOX im not garunteed a very big return.

Its for these reasons that the XBOX isnt in a good position now and unless it releases a game the standard of Metal Gear Solid it will stay where it is.

that must have taken quite a while to type out....

you start talking about market share etc... this is mainly becuase the PS2 had approx a 2 year head start and was the follow up console to the PS1 which of course was the most revoloutionary console that was ever sold.. the shear number of people who bought it suggests this... i had one and i loved it.... the majority of these people without a doubt then bought a PS2... im sure you did this as well....

PS2 is about 60 million sales worldwide in the last 3 years...

xbox is about 13 million for 18 months... which aint that bad for MS's first console.... over the next 18 months that figure will no doubt double and reach 30 million (it will be out 3 years at this stage, same as ps2 now).

now for a new console from a new entrant to the console market, that aint half bad.....

Microsoft are buying up a lot of game companies at the moment to produce a "stable" of quality game makers... this alone is a sign that MS are committed to xbox and make it a huge brand in gaming worldwide.... by MS buying these developers they are ensuring that quality games will be made for this platform....

As far as i know sony have never done this.. correct me if i am wrong...

xbox will be a platform that games will be made for in these multi-platform games.. the numbers of owners will grow... 13 million people at the moment isnt a market that you could ignore... game developers look at this a potential to make money.. not to lose it..

im not dissing PS2 in anyway as it has its place.. as the xbox does and will continue to grow in the future.. i think you have to think outside the box... rather than in the box...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

With all due respect, Half Life on the PS2 was a pitiful mess.... Did you ever play the bloody thing??? A Mess

Wolfenstein on the PS2 has been stripped bare to allow it to run, levels have been chopped and changed to allow for the limits of both the PS2's processing and memory abilities.

Halo would not have been possible on the PS2 in its current state, in the same way as when Splinter Cell was ported over. The gameplay was the same granted, but the polish of the XBOx version was missing graphical wise.

I owned a PS2 for about 2 years and was somewhat dissappointed, thus I sold the thing and bought an XBOX. Arguments that the PS2 has more good games than the XBOX cannot be dismissed, it does and its obvious.

The point Third_Ech..... is making is that the number of Grade A games on the Xbox is pretty similar to that of the PS2. Titles that jump out on the PS2 are more of less restriced to Gran Turismo 3 and Vice City. Xbox wise, Halo and Project Gotham racing are the two grade A title on the XBOX.. The two XBOX titles were both available at launch while it took the PS2 a least a year to start producing some quality titles, the first batch of games were piss poor.

If you look to future releases, the XBOX very obviously has a far batter line up, Halo 2, Project Gotham 2, Doom 3 and Half Life 2 to name but a few.... "But Doom and Half Life are both going to be available on the PC too......" I hear you say.... Who cares, its a great when someone who is not lucky enough to own a 2 grand PC can geta chance to play both these titles on a 200 yo yo console..... Even forgetting those two titles, Halo 2 is going to be deadly and in my opinion is nearly good enough to justify an XBOX purchase in itself.

Obviously you cannot judge what console is best purely on sales, the fact the PS2 has sold about 60 million units just proves that a bunch of misinformed parents can buy and console for their kid at Christmas. Sony are absoutely brilliant at appealing to the lowest common denominator, this, combined with the 2 year hardstart and the brand name that the PS had established, meant that Sony were always going to be unstopable.

Soon I feel we will begin to see the sales of both the Xbox and very impressive GC start to pick up and begin to see the PS2's sales drop.

Reading articles on both the PS3 and the future Xbox, Nintendo are going to be under even more pressure. They will find it extremely difficult to compete on level terms with the financil might of Microsoft and the marketing knowhow of Sony.

I dont see how im thinkng inside the box:confused:

But anyway, as you said yourself developers want to make money not lose it. This basically is what I have already said, if you make a game then you want it to be accessable to the most people. Therefore the one with the largest market share is where you make the most money.

The XBOX sold well on it orgional launch, however, lack of quality titles since it release has seen its sale decellerate alarmingly. The figures you stated about the sales does not mean that in the next 18 months another 13 million will be sold in fact I have it from people inside MS that the oppsite is ture they are only hopefull of getting another 4/5 millions units shifted in the year.

The PS2 is still selling strong ,however, its projected sales arent even similar to that of the XBOX for this year they are actually less but this isnt suprising when you have the majority of the units allready in place.

The only this that can really save the XBOX atm is what you have already mentioned. MS buying up dev companies. This means that they can make games for their system. Where as other companies wouldnt want to due to that fact the the console isnt in as many homes. The only hope for the XBOX is that MS can keep on throwing money at it untill they are bule in the face.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,969 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Most of the companies that MS are buying up are america developers. However there are by far the best games come from Japan and Europe. There are very few developers that can make games as good as the Japanese probably only Blizzard and Valve. Most Japanese companies won't touch the xbox since it is doing terrible in Japan and they think that it is cutting into a market that was practically run by Japanese companies. The japanese games on the PS2 and GC are of a far higher quality than most of the american tosh on xbox. I think MS will be far more agressive in getting much more japanese support with the xbox 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

Do not fall for the lulls of the fallen ones.

If you are a PC gamer! Do not mix with the lesser mortals for they do not know the internal workings of the passion machine but are mere slaves to technology.

For we, the PCG*, are the chosen ones who will always be at the forefront of the impossible and take on the challenges it brings, it with open arms. We are stronger than any CG with our knowledge and wisdom gained through years pf batting with the unwieldy. It has made us men!

Do not, oh foolish one, leave the path of true glory for the grass is never greener on the other side.

Amen,

The Duke : ))

*PCG = PC gamer of course.. duh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,605 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Sales figures dont reflect the merits of a console.
    The PS1 when initally launched was a bit of a disappointment.
    Then Sony decided to throw bucketloads of money at promoting it.
    People bought the idea of the machine even though it was technically inadequate when compared with the N64.
    Ads were shown which had no actual game footage and idiots bought them.
    Such advertising is prohibited in the US.
    Its the same with the PS2.
    Hype,hype ,hype.
    Technically it is a 'Legacy' machine.
    Who'd play games on a 3 yr old PC ?
    Nobody.
    Interestingly of the 3 companies producing the main consoles only 1 made a profit in the last business quarter.
    Who was it ?
    Not Sony for sure.
    Their Computer dept made a massive loss.

For we, the PCG*, are the chosen ones who will always be at the forefront of the impossible

While you were playing Commander keen and Duke nukem 1+2 I was playing Mario and Sonic.
    While you were playing Raptor I was playing Thunderforce and Axelay.
    The PS1 when initally launched was a bit of a disappointment.

Bullsh$t The PS1 sold loads because it was a far superior machine to the sega saturn and had far better games at launch. It was a choice of a woeful conversion of daytona and the ancient virtua fighter or arcade perfect versions of Ridge Racer and Tekken. Also it was much cheaper than the saturn. The N64 wasn't out for another 2 years and by that time the PS had built up too great a lead for Nintendo to catch up like they did with the SNES. The adverts were crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

but when we played DOOM II, Duke, Quake, Unreal, etc. on-line you where still, and still are, using post cards to your friends....

ha, now who's on top :cool:

I totally believe in and nourish the large rift between Console and PC gamers :D.

The Duke : ))

Your silly american FPS and RTS games are no match for the loony genius of japanese games.:p

When you were playing Quake I was playing Doom on the Snes at less than 10 fps and no ground and ceiling textures. Well maybe you win when it comes to FPS games. :D

But seriously, if you don't have a console then you are missing out on some brilliant single player games. I think you should have both. Single player PC games are mostly crap at the moment with only a few great RTS games and woeful FPS games. If you want online play then You should use a PC. The consoles have a long way to go to catch up in that department.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Interestingly of the 3 companies producing the main consoles only 1 made a profit in the last business quarter.
    Who was it ?
    Not Sony for sure.
    Their Computer dept made a massive loss.

Bzzzzzzzt Challenge! Sony Computer Entertainment (SCEI, which is Sony's equivalent of Microsoft's Home and Entertainment Division) made a large profit last year, second within the company only to the movies division.

The Xbox is the only console in this generation which is still in the red - and not only that, which is still continuing to lose money on an operating basis right now.
    Soon I feel we will begin to see the sales of both the Xbox and very impressive GC start to pick up and begin to see the PS2's sales drop.

Only natural, since the PS2 has probably almost reached saturation point within the games market. It'll probably pick up another 40 million sales or so over the next four to five years and end up topping 100 million installed base.

I'd be very surprised if Xbox and GameCube topped 30 million units sold in total over their lifespans. This isn't really anything to do with the headstart of PS2 (although that's certainly a factor), it's down to the fact that for the most part, Sony have the software that people want to play. Grand Theft Auto, Winning Eleven (Pro Evo), Final Fantasy, Tekken, Metal Gear Solid, Jak & Daxter... The list goes on and on. Never mind the fact that the console has ALL the cross-platform stuff available on it, and most people don't really care that its sometimes got less graphical polish than the Xbox version.

I think the sales of Splinter Cell prove that - a game that had a four month headstart on Xbox, and yet has sold vastly more copies on PS2 than it did on the Xbox...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Kalina

This is a very interesting debate, I'd like to take part in it fully but the problem is I've never played the GameCube, rarely played an XBox and don't play PC games because I haven't got access to a decent machine.
    However I've had my PS2 for nearly 2 years and I think it's a great console, games like GTA VC, Final Fantasy X, Max Payne, Kingdom Hearts and Gran Turismo 3 make it great!! I don't like the XBox, it's ugly and the controllers are too big and bulky (for me to use at least :) ). If I had any money at all I'd buy a GC, purely for the fun factor involved in most of the games and to revisit my Mario addiction days. :D

Advertisement