Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I buy a console?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

good call on buying the xbox... its a great machine.... you hear all these people saying its like a pc and all that cr@p... it may have pc parts inside.. but it is a console.... i think a lot of people are bashing it, because its "cool" not to like xbox... it will soon be the number 1 games console.... mark my words.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

i think a lot of people are bashing it, because its "cool" not to like xbox

News to me. Personally I'm not fond of it because it's not got a software line-up as good as the other two consoles. But hey, I guess I'm just excluding it because I'm too damn cool to like Xbox.
    it will soon be the number 1 games console.... mark my words.....

Er, no, it won't. No marking words about it. The Xbox has absolutely no hope in hell of selling as many consoles or games as the PS2, ever. PS2 global installed base is around 60 million; Xbox is around 10 million (estimates vary from 9 million to 13 million), same as the Cube (estimates vary from 9.6 million to 12 million).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Ok something with XBOX in its title will eventually rule! lol

it's not got a software line-up as good as the other two consoles

what does the PS2 have that is totally earth shattering at the moment that the xbox doesn't have??? what's that i hear you say?? precisely... I like the GameCube but saying that the xbox isnt as good as the PS2 because of titles is rubbish... quality over quantity is always the better situation

Er, no, it won't. No marking words about it. The Xbox has absolutely no hope in hell of selling as many consoles or games as the PS2, ever. PS2 global installed base is around 60 million; Xbox is around 10 million (estimates vary from 9 million to 13 million), same as the Cube (estimates vary from 9.6 million to 12 million).

ok look at the timescale here.. PS2 was out nearly 2 years before xbox... give the xbox the same time from now and it will be near 60 million...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Lol! :)

Im almost tempted to post a proper reply, but Third_Echelon's argument is fundamentally too damn stupid :)

A

• Advertisement

lol... i know, i was just saying that to piss the last guy off....

the thing about the games though is a founded truth.... there is no great games apart from GTA VC on PS2 at the mo, that there isnt an equivilantly good game on the xbox...

about the sales thing... Id say it will sell about 40 - 45 million in the same timescale... it wont sell the same as PS2 as it is the first try by MS in the games console arena... a lot of PS2's sales were obviusly PS1 owners who were already wrapped into Sony's web.... XBOX hasnt had this luxury.... and if it does sell this much then by no means is it a failure...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Originally posted by Third_Echelon
    lol... i know, i was just saying that to piss the last guy off....

sure you where....:p

yeah i was....

nobody slags the xbox and gets away with it.......

xbox forever........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Both the sales figures and the games thing are completely wrong, but Ill leave this argument for the people with the stats...

A

so were all these fantastic PS2 titles????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

ur gettin on peoples nerver Third_Echelon. anyway ever heard of grand theft auto, silent hill, mgs. pes, iss, ssx, thps, wwessym.

i cant think of any longer abreviations

also traod

sorry for getting on your never (or is that nerves)...

anywho...

yes yes yes... ive heard of GTA and Silent Hill and ISS, SSX, couldnt be arsed trying to guess what all those other abbreviations are....

I have played all of the above on PS2 and apart from GTA VC the rest are not that original albeit they are good games....

my point is that all these types of games are available on xbox... the only reason that GTA VC is only on PS2 is because they have an exclusivity license with SONY for this game on consoles.. this runs out in october or november i think, so GTA VC will be on xbox by xmas....

i think it is just wrong to dismiss xbox because you (other people) prefer PS2..

im dislejic, and i know what
    traod- tomb raider angel of darkness
    thps- tony hawk's pro skater
    wwessym- worls wrestling eentertainment smackdown shut your mouth is.

i think it is just wrong to dismiss xbox because you (other people) prefer PS2

that is a perfect reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

sorry for getting on your never (or is that nerves)...

anywho...

yes yes yes... ive heard of GTA and Silent Hill and ISS, SSX, couldnt be arsed trying to guess what all those other abbreviations are....

I have played all of the above on PS2 and apart from GTA VC the rest are not that original albeit they are good games....

my point is that all these types of games are available on xbox... the only reason that GTA VC is only on PS2 is because they have an exclusivity license with SONY for this game on consoles.. this runs out in october or november i think, so GTA VC will be on xbox by xmas....

i think it is just wrong to dismiss xbox because you (other people) prefer PS2..

The X Box games are nearly all avilable, on the PC and are better on the PC. The PS2 has many titles that have just been mentioned that are great and are only on the PS2 ie Pro Ev Soccer. The best Soccer game on any format.

You obviously have chip on your sholder about the XBOX so just keep your XBOX and stop trying to convince everyone lese that you didnt make a mistake buying it.

ah cmon.. dont you think that sony has milked the tomb raider title a bit much with another bloddy tomb raider game...

not liking something and not having tried it is a bit silly, dont you think.... its a bit ignorant (not meant to be directed at you) taking this view having never tried it

dont you think xbox has milked halo long enough as their only good original title (soon to be changed)

anyway Third_Echelon you are just a cheap copy on Pugsley- but not as original or as funny.

The X Box games are nearly all avilable, on the PC and are better on the PC. The PS2 has many titles that have just been mentioned that are great and are only on the PS2 ie Pro Ev Soccer. The best Soccer game on any format.

that may be true, but they are bringing these great PC games to console gamers who do not play PC games, and there are a lot of people in this bracket... games like wolfenstein, halo, Counter Strike etc couldnt run on PS2 and MS are bringing these great titles to millions of more gamers who have never probably played them before
    You obviously have chip on your sholder about the XBOX so just keep your XBOX and stop trying to convince everyone lese that you didnt make a mistake buying it.

i dont have a chip on my shoulder about the XBOX... far from it.. im open to all games on all platforms etc.. i dont think ive made a mistake in buying it.. its the best console ive ever had, and ive had most of them in my time...

as i said in the last post... dont knock it till youve tried it

dont you think xbox has milked halo long enough as their only good original title (soon to be changed)

xbox milked halo????? its the first game.... how many bloody tomb raiders have their been?? this is the 5th isnt it????

who the hell is pugsley????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

games like wolfenstein, halo, Counter Strike etc couldnt run on PS2

what the hell?? these games'd run fine on a ps2....well i dunno bout halo but definitely wolfenstein and cs

ah cmon.. dont you think that sony has milked the tomb raider title a bit much with another bloddy tomb raider game...

not liking something and not having tried it is a bit silly, dont you think.... its a bit ignorant (not meant to be directed at you) taking this view having never tried it

I have tried It I owned an XBOX for a few months and sold it because I rarely touched the damn thing and there were feck all good games coming out for it.

Also Tomb Radier is made by Edios and as such why would Sony be milking it ? Also as long as the game still sell then people obviously think its good and still want to play it so why not make more ? It like saying havent Nintendo milked Mario enuf?

The point is the XBOX was a bad idea from the start. It was supposed to be a consolePC. Basically, so people that cant be bothered with PCs could still play the games. It fail in design, marketing and advertising. Also at the end of the day people that want to play those kind of games will just get a PC and enjoy them much better.

It now holds a small part of the market that is day by day deminishing. Microsoft have lost hugh amounts of money on the XBOX and will continue todo so unless something magical happens.

• Advertisement

games like wolfenstein, halo, Counter Strike etc couldnt run on PS2

excuse me but wolfenstein is comming to ps2 and half life is already on it. keep halo, ill pick up the pc version in a few months.

me thinks ban Third_Echelon for causing friction, or at least exclude him from here

I have tried It I owned an XBOX for a few months and sold it because I rarely touched the damn thing and there were feck all good games coming out for it.

thats fair enough.. at least you tried it... now is the time that a multitude of good titles will be coming out... i think you bailed a bit early...
    Also Tomb Radier is made by Edios and as such why would Sony be milking it ? Also as long as the game still sell then people obviously think its good and still want to play it so why not make more ? It like saying havent Nintendo milked Mario enuf?

well you know what i meant by that... sony/ps/etc... i know that if people want it, they will obviously make it... it still remains to be seen however if it is a good game... there are quite a few titles out there were sequels were made and rushed just for the sake of selling another winning title and they end up flopping... im not saying this will happen to the new tomb raider.. i just think that companies will last a bit longer coming up with new ideas than churning out sequel after sequel... look what has happened to nintendo... the game cube isnt doing all that well....

excuse me but wolfenstein is comming to ps2 and half life is already on it. keep halo, ill pick up the pc version in a few months.

didnt know about wolfenstein.. fair enough.. but it wont look as good...

ive played half-life on the PS2 and it was very dissapointing... i would go as far to say it was **** and nothing compared to the gameplay etc of the pc version... im not the only one who thinks this.... it was a very poor attempt
    me thinks ban Third_Echelon for causing friction, or at least exclude him from here

im not causing friction... im making points for and against the topics posted.. wouldnt life be boring if everyone agreed on everything...

me thinks you've been taken down a peg, alot less cocky. i wish i was a moderator here!

thats your opinion to think what you like.. but when people make insane comments about something, insane comments are the only way to fight back.....

peg or two my @rse.... its a bloody message board.... its not the end of the world...

it would be if you were an invalid and couldnt leave your house like me!! any way FUK up noone likes you you massive FUK.

now thats subtlety

Halo will look better and play better on the PC - Why get an XBOX?

All games made for the XBOX are easily ported to PC and will look play better on the PC - Why get an XBOX?

The PS will get all the decent titles that are on XBOX because the PS2 has a bigger user base - Why get an XBOX?

To say that these game are better on the XBOX isnt true, Splinter Cell on the PS2 was a vast improvement on the XBOX version and the PC better still - Why get an XBOX?

and im supposed to know this... i think you are taking this a little too personally... and its a bit unfair of you to use this as an exuse to call someone a FUK....

take a chill pill and play your PS2

someone ban him for annoyence. forget ye im not waisting anymore time argueing with your ****. every time i check my e-mails thers a post from you.

• Advertisement

Halo will look better and play better on the PC - Why get an XBOX?

i think you are missing the point about the whole user base who are not pc gamers...... this is the market that they are mainly aiming for
    All games made for the XBOX are easily ported to PC and will look play better on the PC - Why get an XBOX?

... see above
    The PS will get all the decent titles that are on XBOX because the PS2 has a bigger user base - Why get an XBOX?

yes it has a bigger user base, but it will be replaced in the next year or two with PS3.. so coming near the end of its life less games will be made for it
    To say that these game are better on the XBOX isnt true, Splinter Cell on the PS2 was a vast improvement on the XBOX version and the PC better still - Why get an XBOX?

i now know that you are taking the pi$$ when you say that splinter cell is better on PS2 than XBOX.. dont make me laugh.... the graphics on the ps2 version are horribly jagged and unsmooth... the xbox version has perfect graphics and the control pad is better suited to this game... and before you say it i have played it on both

Advertisement