Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I buy a console?

Options
  • 11-07-2003 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,603 ✭✭✭✭

I'm trying to decide whether to buy a console or not.
    I have a state of the art PC with everything I need.
    A fast graphics card,768Mb of Ram,Audigy 2 soundcard,5.1 speaker sound system ,fancy controllers,a 17inch TFT screen,wireless peripherals etc.
    I also have over 100 games ,most of them new releases.
    The thing is I'm wondering is there any point in me getting a console .
    Is it worth it ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Yes.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

Originally posted by Asuka
    Yes.

i concur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

no

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Originally posted by MrPinK
    no

i disagree. get a console, just not an xpox.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

yes to play games without stress of crashes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Yes, and the XBOX is deadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

do it do it do it do it do it do it.
    May i suggest a gamecube sir?
    Or possibly PS2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

whats so bad about the Xbox? (my god what the hell am i saying....) i mean i know the first word is microsoft but if you try your hardest (and it still won't do away) and get over that...its a reasonably good console. i have (aside form my mega pc :D) a ps2 and soon gettin an xbox and im looking forward to it. its got good graphics, decent games etc.

crap - i just realised im about to start off another xbox v everything else debate.....so please no-one argue...just correct me where im wrong :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

mmmm, get a gamecube.
    most of the xbox's decent games are pc ports or are going to be on pc soonish.
    ps2 has got a pretty good selection of games but its age is starting to show...
    tbh, if i were you i'd just save my cash for a new gfx card for half-life 2, doom 3 & dredd vs death.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

If you have a good PC and a decent net connection, I wouldnt bother, you should have all you need to keep yourself occupied.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

All the machines have something to recommend them (if you buy the good games and not the ****e from EA, THQ and Acclaim).

The PC is really lacking some immediate pick up and play games (emulation excluded) so a console is well worth picking up.

The best bet is probably buying a good pad for your PC, download some arcade, PSOne, Saturn and N64 emulators and see if you like the games. When you've got such a monster PC it's a shame not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

well consoles have in my view all dumbed down game,s other than afew (resident evil zelda etc etc) very few thinking game.s

pc on the other hand has RTS god games and so on ........ so i thing the both go together well

console = pick up and play fun
    pc = thinking game,s take time to play but more fun once you get the hang of them :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

If you have a good PC and a decent net connection, I wouldnt bother, you should have all you need to keep yourself occupied.
    That pretty much sums it up.

A high end PC is so much better than consoles.

I have a PS2 [for pro evo soccer2 only]
    I have an xbox [for DVD under telly only]played Halo multiplayer with 8 other guys for couple of weeks but soon wore off ,im only one left with an xbox.We all went back to our PCs.
    Besides any PC ports to xbox are terrible ,wolfenstein,unrealchamp come to mine with terrible framerate even with less detailed textures and lower res than PC.

Cant comment on the Cube.

Dont buy a console if you have a powerfull PC and good net connection,
    play Battlefield online with 64 players instead or Planetside with 5,000 players instead.
    Easy choice really.
    I still love PES2 tho:)

isn't pro evo 3 out on pc now:)

Originally posted by tman
    isn't pro evo 3 out on pc now:)

ISS3 I think. And It's a ****e port. Evolution is alot better than ISS series these days.

There are some exceptionally good games out there for Cube, PS2 and XBox. They're just not on the shelves in the highstreet. People buy a load of crap games on a platform and then complain how bad it is.. pff!

id recomend a cube, the graphics rock the games last ages and are most of all fun, its cheap, all it needs is a gta, but you can play that on pc. The xbox could become the worlds most expensive paperweight very soon.

ah well, i got the '3' part right...

gta3 & vc should be out for the cube & xbox early next year, prolly san andreas too.
    cube cube cube cube!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

You sound like you need a machine with awesome capabilities, you'll only get that kind of preformance with an Atari Jaguar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

I've only a cube myself but it's mad fun. I don't play it half as much as I should but I tend to be out a lot. The games are trés great too. It's the most arcadey of the consoles out there imho and if you're trying to get variety that's what I'd go for. No point getting a console to play what you're playing on the PC (even if it's not the same game but just a similar type). Also, looks like FF is gonna be back with Nintendo. Maybe even a port of Kingdom Hearts! (I'm really dying to play that)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

You really don't want to play something like Soul Calibur or Zelda with a keyboard and mouse.
    Nor do you want to play Counter-strike with a playstation controller with no console.

PCs and consoles both have their places in the gaming market. You need both a PC and console(s) for the full experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

What Sico said. You can't compare PCs and consoles head to head like that - they provide totally different types of games. I'd be pretty miffed if I had to choose between my PC and my console collection... If you're into videogames, you really need to own both a PC and a couple of consoles, otherwise you're basically ruling out a whole range of great games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Good point. I have all 3 major consoles, but my p.c is still running Win95, so as you can imagine its not exactly up to spec. So i cant really comment on P.C games, but as far as consoles go, it breaks down like this.
    If you own a P.C., dont bother getting an Xbox. Its essentially just a p.c. in a (slightly) smaller box.
    Buy a cube if you want to play original, fun games you cant get on any other console. (Zelda, Mario, Metroid, and that sweet sweet resident evil remake)
    By a Ps2 if you want a safe bet, as its the console with the biggest back catalouge, has some classics (GTA3, ico, Silent hill 2 & 3, project zero) but also has a load of licenced bullshirt and is kinda in a good game drought as we speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,603 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Thanks for all the advice guys.
    Much appreciated.
    I was passing by Virgin in Cork this morning and I saw an Ad.
    'XBox 164.99 for 5 days only'.
    I went in to investigate and I bought one.
    Good deal I think.
    I'll probably modify it and use it as an MP3 player and games machine.
    This was the deciding factor.
    As I have said I have a monstrously large selection of PC games ,basically you name it I have it.
    Last week I bought Bloodrayne,Hulk,GTA VC,WWE Raw,Splinter Cell,Toca Race Driver,Vietcong and MGS 2.
    As regards crashes,I've never had a game crash .
    I may yet buy a PS2 and a Gamecube.
    I'd like to obviously play Zelda as I have the 2 N64 games.
    Masterpieces.
    I do believe though that the PS2 is beginning to age but who knows.
    Thanks Again

Originally posted by Raskolnikov
    You sound like you need a machine with awesome capabilities, you'll only get that kind of preformance with an Atari Jaguar.

whats the deal with atari jaguar and boards?, i cant understand it

Originally posted by weemcd
    whats the deal with atari jaguar and boards?, i cant understand it

It's a rather tired long running joke.

its time it was finished, can you tell me how it started, im quite new. Mabye if i know how it started, ill see the fun in it, instead of goin WTF everytime some geek mentions it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

a). can people please stop using the word "geeks" when insulting people on a forum they use. The irony is running thin. :rolleyes:

and

b). it's in the Newbie F&Q afaik. I don't get why it got so big but it's now a kinda oldy traditionalist thing for the boards people who are into THAT sorta thing... :ninja:

i'm no geek its official:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=103553&perpage=20&pagenumber=3

And btw, how cool is it to talk about atari anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Not very, since Infogrames (*spit*) started calling themselves that :)

• Advertisement

God Shinji, thats the first time in ages ive seen you post on a thread without closing it down;)

Advertisement