Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Clicksilver (BB) details for the Republic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Having seen another post from Scott where he broke down exactly how much everything is costing THEM, I can see how difficult it is for them to make a more competitive offering at the moment. And he does seem to really mean it about the cap only being enforced if the service is abused, here's hoping UTV will be strict about repeated instances of abuse of service, and disconnect those who do it.

*waves a white flag at UTVi*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

If that is true about the cap only being enforced when it is really being abused then I tihnk it could work out well.
    My main reservations about it is the tiny cap.If u play counter-strike you download 30mb per min supposedly.Then you add updates for games skin packs average net use and it adds up quickly.
    Sorry if my attitude seems really negative but it really annoys me that we have such terrible choices for BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

um lads what is it with you people ...............the whole first page of post,s here is WELL DONE UTV!!!!! .My god its the same deal as esat or eircom (remember they also "reserve the right to impose a cap").

Whats the differents here between them and esat ? notting thats what!.Only they (utv) have brainwashed some of you here to seemingly except anything they bang out.

well i guess it seems Utv can do no wrong with some of you anyway so what does it matter if some of us here point out the reality of this service.

im truely very happy i stuck to Esat now perfect 56k netsmart product good customer help and a rubbish account department :p

ROLE ON ESAT BB!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭CitySickness

Originally posted by Chowley
    If that is true about the cap only being enforced when it is really being abused then I tihnk it could work out well.
    My main reservations about it is the tiny cap.If u play counter-strike you download 30mb per min supposedly.Then you add updates for games skin packs average net use and it adds up quickly.
    Sorry if my attitude seems really negative but it really annoys me that we have such terrible choices for BB.

Use your head - if you needed a data transfer of 30mb (a completely fictional, plucked-from-the-air figure) for a minute's CS play, you'd need a much faster connection than a 512k RADSL line. This topic has been gone into in some detail in other threads, the consensus being that you won't come anywhere near the cap just by using the line for gaming.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Thats not correct. You'll do 30mb an hour with CS. maybe 50Mb at full whacked up rate.

Thats 100 hours if you do nothing else.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭NITEMAN

well there's exactly what i was talking about.
    Last 3 posts before chowleys.
    People brainwashed into thinking capped broadband is acceptable.
    Its not.
    Have a word with irelandoffline.
    I'm not saying don't get these products. i'm on netsource, but don't be fooled into thinking they are as good as you'll get or it will be the best you'll get.
    If there is a cap in the Contract then you CANNOT assume it will not be used.
    Also, you will find that the cap will not be enough.
    THe sheer speed of broadband will ensure that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

Originally posted by bizmark
    um lads what is it with you people ...............the whole first page of post,s here is WELL DONE UTV!!!!! .My god its the same deal as esat or eircom (remember they also "reserve the right to impose a cap").

Whats the differents here between them and esat ? notting thats what!.Only they (utv) have brainwashed some of you here to seemingly except anything they bang out.

well i guess it seems Utv can do no wrong with some of you anyway so what does it matter if some of us here point out the reality of this service.

im truely very happy i stuck to Esat now perfect 56k netsmart product good customer help and a rubbish account department :p

ROLE ON ESAT BB!

I agree with this statement 100% bizmark, the only reason anyone here bangs on about UTV the whole time is Scott taunton comes here once and awhile and interacts with the board, informing the users of the board first (supposedly) of what there bringing out and how hard it is to do it in the first place, the UTV offering is the same as IOL, 1.50 cheaper maybe but the same thing none the less.

if a repesentative of ESAT or god Forbid Eircom came on here theyd be banging on about them to, i can see where people want to grasp onto anything thats not the big 2, but this BB offering is woefully nay drastically short of what was expected considering that they held off on this for months and were trying to get the best deal possible,

Dont get me wrong when i dealt with them when i was going to go for there dressed up SNL offering they were pretty decent to me and i aprreciated it, and i respect them for what there trying to do, but come on there no white knight in shining armour, if they were they would come up with something better then this IOL offering in all but name

Regards

SHIN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Ironically, the people who hate caps the most are usually the reason they are imposed. Ironic and sad because having to keep track of how much you download puts off light users (who don't hog a limited pipe) too.

if you're a light user then you shouldn't have to monitor what you download, unless of course you're not as light a user as you thought you were.
    I bet even a light user will hit a 5gig cap after they use bb more and more.

na i disagree with that my normal 5 hours or so surfing a night use 900 meg of cap a month leave 4,1 gig for what ever you want (btw this includes a few mods for bridge commander).

im happy with esat at lest they dont trow around "new.s" about "how hard a time their haveing" then wait months to offer the same as every other company (mind you the sob storys seem to have worked)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by NITEMAN
    I bet even a light user will hit a 5gig cap after they use bb more and more.
    No. Otherwise a 512k 50:1 dsl service like in the UK could not work. For a service with this contention to work, the vast majority of users have to be using it for convenience and quality not unlimited downloads.

The 48:1 contention means that the maximum average downloaded per person must be around 3.25 gigs. This is the same for both a capped and uncapped service. And even at that, if everyone made sure they downloaded 3.25 gigs, the whole thing would grind to a halt.

So everyone arguing for no caps on the basis that they want to download 1-2 gigs a day[/i] is, in fact, arguing against a cap although they don't realise it.

The only valid argument against a cap, is that light to moderate users don't want to be bothered with monitoring their useage.

Sorry. Ironic but true.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Theres a difference between accepting a cap as, well, acceptible.
    And accepting it as the best on offer and fighting on for what we know we *should* be being offered.

Stepping stones... stepping stones... :)

We knew this wouldnt be a one-round knockout fight...

DeV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

still a crappy 5 gig cap!!
    and its not even that much cheaper than the rest of the providers

well done for what??

Maybe this is a stupid question, but why the need to control bandwidth anyway.
    Surely they can increase this if need be.
    what is the cost to the provider of doing this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭p2p

Have to say i'm disappointed with the offering..

I have great respect for Utv for all the reasons mentioned already,

But I have a question for Scott which i hope he might supply an answer?

Scott , why cant you bring out a product thats in the region of say

- €55
    - High (12 gig) or no cap
    - Subside the low profit margin by making people take their
    telephony package

Surely if IOL can offer the same deal at €49 without a exclusivity deal on telephony Utv can add on a couple more euro, make people switch to their telephone service and make up the extra cash that way?

IOL DSL wholesale price == UTV DSL wholesale price no?

I'd love to see that breakdown that was mentioned earlier..

but sure they cant get any better with eircon around can they?.

In that post the utv guy made outlineing the cost,s for Radsl he made it clear that because of the 48:1 rato and priceing of the line that their,s no way they can give uncapped and/or a cheaper price.
    (I might of gotten that wrong so correct me if i did)

theirfore nither ESAT or UTV can give much better than they currently are.............And netsources have over stretched themself,s a tad.

Am i right here or totaly wrong ?

Originally posted by DeVore
    We knew this wouldnt be a one-round knockout fight...
    The unfortunate thing is that the very fighting for it, has worked against the achieving of it.

A bit like punching yourself in the face.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by Chowley
    I think the only way we can get a fair deal in this county is nobody signs up for any of these second rate products.
    Eircom: "There's no demand."

I've never seen so many second-rate whiners in the one place -- and I might add that I've never seen half the handles before either. Do any of you have a clue what you're talking about? More importantly, did any of you actually go and read Scott Taunton's posting on the costs involved in rolling this out? Have you worked out UTVi's margin? Subtraction? No?

Muppets.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Except you're not pointing out anything we don't know already and it gets repetitive when you keep pointing out the flaws without suggesting any way to remedy them.

And as you've rightly pointed out, there isn't much difference between the options, so why shouldn't people take up UTV's offer?

Man, I know I sound like UTV salesperson here but all this "OH NOE ITS NOT FIBAR TO MEH DOOR FOR 50c A YEAR!" is getting annoying.

theirfore nither ESAT or UTV can give much better than they currently are.............And netsources have over stretched themself,s a tad.

Am i right here or totaly wrong ?
    All the RADSL providers are buying bitstream service from Eircom. This is where the 48:1 comes from. The ISP then provides email, hosting whatever as well as the connection to the internet. The connection to the internet can vary quite a bit in term of capacity, latency, reliability etc.

They can also vary in customer service which is very important.

The one thing they can't do, is help you qualify for DSL if you currently fail. This is not their responsibility; it is Eircom's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Originally posted by dahamsta
    I've never seen so many second-rate whiners in the one place -- and I might add that I've never seen half the handles before either. Do any of you have a clue what you're talking about? More importantly, did any of you actually go and read Scott Taunton's posting on the costs involved in rolling this out? Have you worked out UTVi's margin? Subtraction? No?

Agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

I've been on Netsource for what, a month or so now. On average I use less than 100 megs a day. Using my webcam and stuff this can rise to about 300-400 a day which lets be honest isn't really all that heavy at all. The most I've downloaded so far in a day is about 700megs and I think that was understandable as it was the first day I actually had a working broadband connection instead of a box in the corner of my room.
    If I was on a 5gb cap I'd have 161mbs to play with every day. If I was to use my webcam then I'd need to not use my connection at all for half of the month. That's the reality of a 5gb capped broadband service. I'm a heavy user, not in terms of the amount I download but in terms of the time I spend on. I basically have a free schedule for the next 3 months and I use the internet for about 12 hours a day on average at the moment. That's a rather low 13mbs an hour for me to use. That just isn't good enough. A cap of between 20-30 would be the perfect middleground and companies are going to have to face up to the fact that they're going to have to buy more bandwidth rather than squeezing everyone on using a low cap.
    Personally I don't see why your all jumping for joy at UTV's offering, yes it's slightly cheaper than the others but that's it, does it really deserve all this admiration because someone from the company posted on the board and because you'll have an extra €18 a year to spend (which you'll probably end up losing if you have to pay for going over your cap)?
    Ok so the main excuse is it costs a lot to roll out, well of course it does but that's not an excuse to launch a cripplingly limited service.

All the RADSL providers are buying bitstream service from Eircom. This is where the 48:1 comes from. The ISP then provides email, hosting whatever as well as the connection to the internet. The connection to the internet can vary quite a bit in term of capacity, latency, reliability etc.

im not totaly sure what all that ment to be honest .

Pie.

I never said dont take utv not once .And i have never pretended to know much about BB technolgy or service,s.I was just commenting on the replys to a utv sales mangers post In which i seen a bunch of smart people who mostly know far more about this technology than i do Welcomeing with open arms a service which is the same as all other,s. Service,s which if it was eircom makeing the post would be pissed on.

I seem to remember people from netsource posting here before.
    When things started to go wrong the postings got few and far between.
    Just because someone posts doesn't mean they are better than the rest. Its just sales.
    People are just trying to point out that a lot of people here were waiting for utv to have a great deal.
    Its not such a great deal, so quit pretending to yourselves it is.
    Its the value to the customer that counts here , not the providers profit margins.
    Whether the provider make €5 or €50000 is irrelevant.
    The consumer is being ripped off

well said Bizmark.
    Time for bed for me i think

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

And i have never pretended to know much about BB technolgy or service,s.
    Here's a rule of thumb for anyone in any walk of life: if you don't know much about a subject, then commenting on it is only likely to make that fact abundantly clear.

FWIW.

Originally posted by SkepticOne

They can also vary in customer service which is very important.

The one thing they can't do, is help you qualify for DSL if you currently fail. This is not their responsibility; it is Eircom's.

Listen to him for he has teh-big-brane-of-telco!!

Seriously. Pearls before swine Skeptic pearls before swine mate :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

As an existing DSL user with netsource, i've serparate concerns from people that haven't gotten DSL installed. I've listed the problems i'd have with transferring to another operator. I've listed the reasons I think UTV are ahead of the rest and i've listed exactly what i'm going to do concerning the offer in the medium term future.

On the cap issue
    I'd be very wary, especially with a 12 month contract involved. However, if the legally reserved cap was increased from 5 to say 10gb then i'd be fine with it.

If you've DSL already installed
    a) the amount of down time involved in switching from one reseller to another
    b) will all installation costs be waivered or partially or not at all

The products performance
    Downtime if any, problems with contention ratios, download rate stability. Lastly pings (not a great concern for me but definitely for others). Essentially will the product perform better then netsources ropey stuff :)

Some reasons why i'd go with UTVip over anyone else
    Their interaction with this board
    The excellent customer service, email, webspace, transparent website faqs, you don't have to jump through loops to find out stuff
    My previous experience with UTVip
    The knowledge that they already have experience with their broadband product in NI giving them more experience over the rest.
    The fact its 1.50 cheaper then the next best.

What i'm going to do for now
    If my questions aren't addressed i'm just going to wait until the product has been worn in by other users on this board. I'll wait for feedback from them, and if everything is COO OPERATA in about say 6 months then i'd make the transition. Assuming it hasn't been superseeded by something better.

Here's a rule of thumb for anyone in any walk of life: if you don't know much about a subject, then commenting on it is only likely to make that fact abundantly clear.

good bit of advice :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

Yes I agree, lets not comment on the service limitations at all unless we spend all day working at an exchange and know the exact ins and outs of contention ratios and bitstream purchase prices.

Advertisement