Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Clicksilver (BB) details for the Republic

Options

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Originally posted by shinzon
    god i gotta laugh, i think as regards UTV a lot of you have rose coloured glasses and unfortunately wont see the problems until yere signed up for it, this is exactly the same type of responses that happpened when netsource came out, first praise and absolute adoration, then problems started and the backlash began so will say no more now and await the threads to start, and as for the cap itll be enforced cause the warez monkeys will abuse the service as always

Regards

Shin

If you were beaten as a kid and were transferred to a foster home where your step father only grounded you ... you'd think he was the best in the world!

Fair dues to UTV. I can read a good deal between those lines of Scotts and I know what they are up against.

And I echo dahamstas applause on continuing to interact directly with the user base here.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

I've stuck me name down for this service anyway :)

Well done UTV :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

god i gotta laugh, i think as regards UTV a lot of you have rose coloured glasses and unfortunately wont see the problems until yere signed up for it, this is exactly the same type of responses that happpened when netsource came out, first praise and absolute adoration, then problems started and the backlash began so will say no more now and await the threads to start, and as for the cap itll be enforced cause the warez monkeys will abuse the service as always

Regards

Shin

ooh the beauty of posting in a public forum ... make a prediction about the future ... get it wrong ... and then you've got egg in your face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭NITEMAN

Shinzon is right tho.
    You all seem to look through rose colour glasses at utvi.
    I guess it says a lot about a company's customer care if they were more or less able to sign the owners of the glasses up before they even had a product.
    Well done UTV.
    The CAP tho is a real problem and you're locked in for a year.
    I thought 4 or 5 gigs would be a huge cap at first, but i downloaded that amount in my first few days.
    Broadband changes the way you use the internet. Because you CAN download at high speed you will download a lot more than you did on 56k. All those 30 meg files you never bothered with because it would take all night will be no bother now. They all add up tho.
    It doesn't matter what they say about trying not to charge for it, THEY WILL.
    Its in the contract, so it stands. Never heed anything said out of contract, it leads to big let downs.

they're only *reserving the right* to enforce the cap though.

they aren't making you worry about getting charged hundreds of euros if you go over it.

and imo they're only resevering that right, so they can ensure a good QOS for all members, not for direct profiteering like esat or eircom.

It's such a huge fundamental difference in my book.

utv haven#t said, how they may enforce the cap if the need arises. they may be very selective. we don't known. you'll be in far safer hands with UTV than esat or eircom, that's for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

Originally posted by nahdoic
    ooh the beauty of posting in a public forum ... make a prediction about the future ... get it wrong ... and then you've got egg in your face.

Ill be the first to say i was told so if what i predicted doesnt come through, but im afarid Ill be right, after all who are they going with with the phone lines, the only game in the republic, eircom, whose gonna **** on UTV from a great height eircom, whose gonna put roadblocks endless waits etc etc etc eircom, whose gonna make sure there startup goes arseways eircom, whose gonna bottleneck the bandwidth eircom

Do i need to go on and on and on

if im wrong on this il be the first to say a big whooooooooo to UTVIP, cause theyll be the first company not to be ****ted on by eircom

Regards

Shin

yeah but who has continually made the best out of a bad situation? UTV!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

I look forward to hearing how the pings are ;)

Thank you for preregistering.

Clicksilver Broadband is available in your area (subject to survey).

We will be in contact as soon as our product is available

Strange, pre-registered and this is the message i got.

Last throw of the dice

Shin

Originally posted by NITEMAN
    Shinzon is right tho.
    You all seem to look through rose colour glasses at utvi.
    I guess it says a lot about a company's customer care if they were more or less able to sign the owners of the glasses up before they even had a product.

Myself, I applied for BB the first day it became available to me. And i'm very happy with netsource. But I think the UTVi offer is better than eircom/esat/netsource , so I will be switching back.

It's got nothing to do with rose coloured glasses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

I think the reason it's taken UTV this long to launch bb is that they were making quite sure that eircon would be contractually obliged NOT to **** with them.
    From a technical viewpoint, they've successfully introduced and maintained a bb service in the North, so they should be well aware of what's involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Ill be the first to say i was told so if what i predicted doesnt come through, but im afarid Ill be right, after all who are they going with with the phone lines, the only game in the republic, eircom, whose gonna **** on UTV from a great height eircom, whose gonna put roadblocks endless waits etc etc etc eircom, whose gonna make sure there startup goes arseways eircom, whose gonna bottleneck the bandwidth eircom

Do i need to go on and on and on

if im wrong on this il be the first to say a big whooooooooo to UTVIP, cause theyll be the first company not to be ****ted on by eircom

What exactly is your point? I expect UTV will have some teething problems at the start but as you've pointed out, any ISP working under eircom will. Nobody's looking at UTV through any kind of tinted glasses. Their service will be the cheapest available. End of story. Any of their customer service karma points are just an added bonus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

That just means that you're connected to a DSL-enabled exchange, which you knew already. Hence "available in your area".

Shinzon, people aren't wearing rose-coloured glasses, they're showing mutual respect. UTVi deserves respect because of the way they've engaged their customers and prospects: they've made announcements here before anywhere else, they've asked for feedback from us, they've explained why things are why they are, they've adjusted their products based on what we say.

They've treated us with respect, so I'm going to treat them with respect in return and give them the benefit of the doubt. I've put my faith in them because past experience has taught me that if problems do arise, UTVi won't stick their heads in the sand, they'll open up and explain what the problem is and why it's happening.

I respect that, and respect is more important to me than a couple of euros or a couple of megs.

adam

now im looking through those glasses, im always just there but never quite there to get it.

God i hope one of those boxes with broadband that arden was talking about appears soon in my estate cause im fit to explode

shin

Most of your glasses are tinted alright lmao.

<quote>
    </quote>
    lmao

I hope they do a good job though.
    If they do i'll switch to them.
    I had them for dialup before and was very happy, but this is a different product so we'll see how it goes.

Originally posted by NITEMAN
    Most of your glasses are tinted alright lmao.

<quote>
    </quote>

i think some people need the regular kind of prescription glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Yay for UTV , i would however like to know if this is RADSL or ADSL , and contention ratios and if you could supply your own modem/router instead of using the one that UTV provides.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I have to say i'm really disappointed by this offering from UTV.
    I was hoping they would have a dsl service that's a cut above the rest, just like their UTVip product.
    There's really no stand out feature of this service that would make me go with UTV over IOL, a 1.50 euro price difference isn't something i'd call competitive...
    and as for those who are bleating about the how great it is that they're reserving the right to charge those who go over cap, Esat and Eircom both 'reserve the right to charge' for going over cap....and I still haven't heard of one instance where someone has been charged or disconnected for going over their cap! Why do you applaud utv for saying the same thing?

As for forcing people to use UTV as their carrier as well...I see no reason to impose this at all. And for that reason, I will personally be going with IOL broadband, although I had hoped to stay with UTV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Good to see utv enter market but I don't see the sparkle in this offering.

Its nearly the same offering as IOL except that the modem is thrown in for the monthly price. Why USB modem ?

I guess the service is a resell of Eircon's RADSL.

5 gb cap is still 'stingy' from any IOL\eircon\utv to tempt me away from netsource :):)
    I will still have 3 separate bills...eircon line rental, utv voice calls, netsource dsl...what a world :D

Why 5gb and not 10gb ?
    No cap up north but cap down south...is it something to do with international connectivity prices ?

I guess utv are trying to capture share of the telephony market with the compulsory telecoms bundle :confused:

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by eth0_
    I have to say i'm really disappointed by this offering from UTV.
    What were you expecting? This isIreland, you know.
    I was hoping they would have a dsl service that's a cut above the rest, just like their UTVip product.
    If you know of a way for them to do it cost-effectively, I'm sure Scott would love to hear it.

As for forcing people to use UTV as their carrier as well...I see no reason to impose this at all.
    No-one's forcing anyone to do anything. Weigh up the pros and cons, and decide whose offering suits you best.

• Advertisement

What he^ said.

The profit margins on the current DSL and 56k setup are so tight that UTV need to revenue from the call charges to turn a profit.

Originally posted by oscarBravo
    No-one's forcing anyone to do anything. Weigh up the pros and cons, and decide whose offering suits you best.

Yes they are! I would have liked to have remained with UTV but tbh I hate having to use them as my carrier when Esat are much cheaper for the kind of calls that are made in my household. They have no NEED to force people to use them as their carrier. They could easily raise their cap, even an extra GB would be at least a token gesture. Don't kid yourself that UTV are the martyr ISP of Ireland, that they're working to a tiny profit margin just so they can provide the poor people of Ireland with another pretty underwhelming dsl product!

Seems straightforward to me.

I'm prepared to give UTV the benefit of the doubt. In your case, you can get voice calls more cheaply from Esat, and you reckon there's nothing to choose in the DSL packages: so go with Esat.

Others will find UTV's offering suits them better, including the telephony package, Those people will choose UTV.

Who's being forced?

I don't know why people on here are happy with any of the broadband deals.
    They shouldn't be happy at all, they are getting ripped of no matter which provider they go with.
    Oh sure, there's nothing else, thats why we have to go with the rip-offs, but don't start praising them for their excellent offerings when clearly they are a rip-off.
    And as for saying 'well thats the best they could offer, thanks to eircom' or 'utv don't make a big profit' .... woopy doo daaa.
    They are still ripping us all off.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

They could easily raise their cap, even an extra GB would be at least a token gesture
    A lot of people are talking about the cap as though it's already been implemented into the service.
    My interpretation is that there will be NO cap, but utvi reserve the right to impose one (if there's excessive traffic presumably).

Scott Taunton said:
    "We will reserve the right to implement caps, either on a PAYG basis or through a step down in speed. We don't expect to need to use them and do not like the thought of having to implement them."

"We don't expect to need to use them" I presume that expectation is based on the average use by customers in N.I.

Am I being optimistic by hoping they won't need to impose a cap?

Originally posted by Sir Random

Am I being optimistic by hoping they won't need to impose a cap?

Yes, yes you are. With a contention of 48:1, once the warez people start, the service will be degraded. Less ye forget, remember SNL.

Does anyone know what the contention ratio is for their res product in N Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

Gotta agree with niteman this is a load of crap.

You all seem to assume that when they say they reserve the right enforce a cap that they are only gonna charge people who take the piss.Stop fooling yourselves ou start going over the cap and youll be paying through your ass.

I think the only way we can get a fair deal in this county is nobody signs up for any of these second rate products.Im sure multi-national companies are laughing at our gov. trying to promote this technological wasteland as anything better. We will only get real BB when the gov. realises this when BB still isnt selling residentially and foreign companies dont avail of it either.
    Thats just my opinion on this subject Im now think f**k BB im gonna wait, Im sick of sub standard offerings .

Originally posted by Chowley
    Thats just my opinion on this subject Im now think f**k BB im gonna wait, Im sick of sub standard offerings .
    Hm. There's a productive approach.

Me, I'm subscribing to the DeVore attitude (heaven help me!) - I'm going to try to do something about it.

Originally posted by fidel

utv have a cap.ill reach the cap with utv/esat or eircom in 24/30 hours!no way.ill stick with knowing that i can download all i want,wen i want,any time of the day/night for a flat price off €66
    I have no problems paying extra 15euro for that.

And it's people like you, who are going to make the RADSL experience terrible for the rest of us. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Chowley
    I think the only way we can get a fair deal in this county is nobody signs up for any of these second rate products.

Great idea. Nobody buy any type of BB offer, even though it might save some people hundreds over their 56k bills. And as an added bonus, eircom can say "See? We told you nobody wanted broadband, there's no point in us lowering the price any more...".

It is the best we can hope for, at this time. Get that into your heads ffs. There's only one (two including Esat to a lesser extent) company who are doing the ripping off and I don't think I need to tell you who it is.
    With a contention of 48:1, once the warez people start, the service will be degraded. Less ye forget, remember SNL.

Contention ratios are 48:1 (50:1 in some cases I think) everywhere, including the UK and people there don't seem to have too many problems. From what I can see, if someone is downloading 50gigs a day they will be issued a warning followed by a disconnect if they continue. If everyone is doing it, only then might a cap be needed. That's the impression I get anyway.

I can see people bitching and moaning about this all night. It's not gonna do any good... go start up your own ISP and see how much cheaper you can make it.

Advertisement