Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Party questioning Travellers intelligence?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,795 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

There is a biodiversity crisis in Ireland though, it's a bit of a mess. The pollution ag is doing to our waterways is getting worse and it's largely ignored. When scientists bring it up it just seems to be attacked by the Irish Farmers Journal etc as being rubbish spouted from people who haven't a clue.
    When you see the damage being done by farmers it seems to me that they don't understand the word biodiversity.
    I know all the farmers on boards.ie are different though and their farms are brimming with trees and wildflowers and all kinds of life, but that's not the norm on farms.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭jackboy

There is a biodiversity crisis in Ireland though, it's a bit of a mess. The pollution ag is doing to our waterways is getting worse and it largely ignored. When scientists bring it up it just seems to be attacked by the Irish Farmers Journal etc as being rubbish spouted from people who haven't a clue.
    When you see the damage being done by farmers it seems to me that they don't understand the word biodiversity.
    I know all the farmers on boards.ie are different though and their farms are brimming with trees and wildflowers and all kinds of life, but that's not the norm on farms.

What you are saying is true for a lot of the large industrial scale farms. Some of the smaller farmers who are making no money do much better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,971 ✭✭✭emaherx

There is a biodiversity crisis in Ireland though, it's a bit of a mess. The pollution ag is doing to our waterways is getting worse and it's largely ignored. When scientists bring it up it just seems to be attacked by the Irish Farmers Journal etc as being rubbish spouted from people who haven't a clue.

You really should join the green party.
    I assume your food grows on the north side of rocks?

emaherx wrote: »
    You really should join the green party.
    I assume your food grows on the north side of rocks?

I wont eat beef and dairy, but anyway the beef and dairy produced in Ireland is nearly all for other countries so most of them aren't feeding us anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,971 ✭✭✭emaherx

I wont eat beef and dairy, but anyway the beef and dairy produced in Ireland is nearly all for other countries so most of them aren't feeding us anyway.

No but you have a strange obsession with making up facts and figures about the beef and dairy industry on boards.ie which for a start has little to nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Use the Kang and Konos approach; No big words for one set of idiots, and the other set of idiots we will teach big words like "biodiversity" so they can sound like pricks down the microbrewery (pub).

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

Piehead wrote: »
    This seems outrageous and discriminatory[/url]

People who do not use certain words just don't use them, so what is so bad about it? If I talk Spanish to you, will you be able to reply? If no, does that make you stupid? I do not think so...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Have you actually seen evidence of this or are you relying on Eamonn Ryan s imagination, large cultivation of farmland dropped massively since the nineties, A bit of silage here and there seems to be the height of it . Compare that with the seventies when every arable field had a crop in it and every hillside was white with sheep,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I just hope she explained how to communicate with farmers using cow sh*te and various whistles. Its all they know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭jackboy

Have you actually seen evidence of this or are you relying on Eamonn Ryan s imagination, large cultivation of farmland dropped massively since the nineties, A bit of silage here and there seems to be the height of it . Compare that with the seventies when every arable field had a crop in it and every hillside was white with sheep,

The country is full of slatted sheds now which have turned out to be a disaster for the environment. Also, large scale conifer plantations are another disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

jackboy wrote: »
    The country is full of slatted sheds now which have turned out to be a disaster for the environment. Also, large scale conifer plantations are another disaster.

But surely Microsoft and all the other multinationals invested in carbon sequestration in Irish conifer plantations to save Mother Earth from climate change could not be soo mean...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

The Greens are such a ****stain of a party it baffles me how anybody voted for them. Cretins of the highest order but they obviously appeal to cosseted clowns who cycle to work or live within well defined transport links.

Can’t stand listening to these pricks or anything they have to say and the fact we are wasting 1 million a day for the next year on cycling infrastructure (which sleepy Ryan felt the need to boast about) makes me sick. Much better uses for 365 million than giving the lycra **** more road space to act the bollix on.

Can’t stand listening to these pricks or anything they have to say and the fact we are wasting 1 million a day for the next year on cycling infrastructure (which sleepy Ryan felt the need to boast about) makes me sick. Much better uses for 365 million than giving the lycra **** more road space to act the bollix on.

Great news today if they actually invest that much in walking and cycling. Finally we're trying to move away from private car dominance. Really glad it's annoying you too if you're going to talk about people who use bikes in that way too.

Great news today if they actually invest that much in walking and cycling. Finally we're trying to move away from private car dominance. Really glad it's annoying you too if you're going to talk about people who use bikes in that way too.

Disgusting waste of money, there’s much better uses of 365 million at present than cycling. And I stand by what I say about cyclists, the more I see them the more it’s obvious none of them have the first clue about using the roads, they shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near them. Maybe when they have to take a test and be insured etc like all other road users they can be accepted.

Disgusting waste of money, there’s much better uses of 365 million at present than cycling. And I stand by what I say about cyclists, the more I see them the more it’s obvious none of them have the first clue about using the roads, they shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near them. Maybe when they have to take a test and be insured etc like all other road users they can be accepted.

If you feel that way about cyclists, you must really hate motorists who cause 2 or 3 deaths on the road every week and are constantly breaking the rules of the road and parking illegally.
    Anyway it's a good investment, leads to a cleaner and healthier country.

If you feel that way about cyclists, you must really hate motorists who cause 2 or 3 deaths on the road every week.
    Anyway it's a good investment, leads to a cleaner and healthier country.

Nope because motorists are required by law to understand the rules of the road and also pay insurance and tax for the pleasure of using them.

Nope because motorists are required by law to understand the rules of the road and also pay insurance and tax for the pleasure of using them.

They don't understand the rules of the road though from what I can see

They don't understand the rules of the road though from what I can see

Oh but they do because there are penalties for those that break them. It seems however that any prick can get on a bicycle and do whatever the **** they want, putting themselves and motorists in danger and not a single eyelid gets batted.

Oh but they do because there are penalties for those that break them. It seems however that any prick can get on a bicycle and do whatever the **** they want, putting themselves and motorists in danger and not a single eyelid gets batted.

I wonder why nearly everyone speeds, if they understand the rules of the road? Can you show me an example of one time where a cyclist harmed a motorist?
    You really are living up to the stereotype of the entitled car driver.

I wonder why nearly everyone speeds, if they understand the rules of the road? Can you show me an example of one time where a cyclist harmed a motorist?
    You really are living up to the stereotype of the entitled car driver.

Cyclist behaviour can cause accidents, particularly those who break red lights as if they can’t see them - traffic has to break suddenly and then you can imagine what happens next. Don’t pretend they are some sort of angelic transport class on the roads, the majority are dangerous and haven’t a ****ing clue about road usage.

• Advertisement

Cyclist behaviour can cause accidents, particularly those who break red lights as if they can’t see them - traffic has to break suddenly and then you can imagine what happens next. Don’t pretend they are some sort of angelic transport class on the roads, the majority are dangerous and haven’t a ****ing clue about road usage.

How are they dangerous if they're not harming anyone? What accidents are they causing, can you show me specific examples?

How are they dangerous if they're not harming anyone? What accidents are they causing, can you show me specific examples?

Fender benders aren’t likely to make the headlines but you know that already. I’ll give you 2 examples I’ve personally witnessed- this week at a red light, I watched 4 cyclists one after the other continue straight through it across an open lane of traffic. One car (which had right of way due to it being a green light for them) had to jam the brakes to avoid hitting one of them who was dawdling past the exit illegally. A few months ago, I had a cyclist collide with my car as he ran a red light at same intersection for which I had a green, and slammed head first in to the driver side of my car. He was lucky he didn’t do any damage to my vehicle, and got away with just a red face instead of an ass kicking.

Fender benders aren’t likely to make the headlines but you know that already. I’ll give you 2 examples I’ve personally witnessed- this week at a red light, I watched 4 cyclists one after the other continue straight through it across an open lane of traffic. One car (which had right of way due to it being a green light for them) had to jam the brakes to avoid hitting one of them who was dawdling past the exit illegally. A few months ago, I had a cyclist collide with my car as he ran a red light at same intersection for which I had a green, and slammed head first in to the driver side of my car. He was lucky he didn’t do any damage to my vehicle, and got away with just a red face instead of an ass kicking.

ok well someone had to brake, and a guy didn't damage your car. Hardly newsworthy or a big deal is it?
    Wow and you would have kicked his ass? You're a tough guy too.
    You're just giving me examples of them being harmless really.
    Anyway, you hate cyclists, I'm not going to change your mind on this, so good night to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,236 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think we now know why Eamonn Ryan keeps on falling asleep in the Dail. It's all those big words he has to remember it must be wearing him out!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭RoversCeltic

We import 3.47m tonnes (mt) of animal feed from South America

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭RoversCeltic

the 365m is not just for cycling

the 365m is not just for cycling

Yes it’s for “walking” as well- how much will it cost to send a free umbrella to every house in the country?

Yes it’s for “walking” as well- how much will it cost to send a free umbrella to every house in the country?

so do you think all adults should be encouraged to get a car and drive everywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,524 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

so do you think all adults should be encouraged to get a car and drive everywhere?

Fair play to you for not using the term motorised vehicle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

Let's say for argument sake, that cyclists had to do a test, get a license and pay insurance and tax, would your view of cyclists be any different than it is now.

Advertisement