Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi mesh systems

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

The design of a bungalow is awful for wifi, then add in block walls and it is nightmare

With that in mind, and when designing a mesh system, where is the best place to position your nodes?

Excuse my super cool mspaint skills...

537782.jpg

Option A is to position the node a bit above the ceiling, which means that the signal is going into a few different rooms with only the ceiling blocking it.

Option B is snug against the ceiling so closer to the room, but that means that only the room directly below it is getting an interrupted signal, whereas the other rooms are being blocked by a brick wall.

Or is it not as obvious as that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

DrPhilG wrote: »
    With that in mind, and when designing a mesh system, where is the best place to position your nodes?

Option A is to position the node a bit above the ceiling, which means that the signal is going into a few different rooms with only the ceiling blocking it.

Option B is snug against the ceiling so closer to the room, but that means that only the room directly below it is getting an interrupted signal, whereas the other rooms are being blocked by a brick wall.

Or is it not as obvious as that?

My bungalow is about 60 feet long with the broadband coming in at one end, this is where I put the first node.
    The second node is across the hall into another room about 25 feet away and the third node is at the other end of the house. There is more than one block wall between each node and all has been working great so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Captcha

lay off the alcohol and you wont have as many meshes

DeadSkin wrote: »
    My bungalow is about 60 feet long with the broadband coming in at one end, this is where I put the first node.
    The second node is across the hall into another room about 25 feet away and the third node is at the other end of the house. There is more than one block wall between each node and all has been working great so far.

Mine is about 75ft long with 3 Tenda MW-6 nodes. Coverage is fine, but for some bizarre reason the items in the house won't jump to the nearest node automatically. Stuff will cling to a 20mb signal from the opposite end of the house rather than move to the 400mb signal right beside them.

I've just upgraded to a Ubiquiti Unifi system. Much more customisable, I can set each item to move once the signal strength drops below a certain level so if I move from the bedroom to the living room, the controller will force the phone to move to a closer/stronger signal.

Havent actually set it up yet, still waiting for a few of the bits to land.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Mine is about 75ft long with 3 Tenda MW-6 nodes. Coverage is fine, but for some bizarre reason the items in the house won't jump to the nearest node automatically. Stuff will cling to a 20mb signal from the opposite end of the house rather than move to the 400mb signal right beside them.

I've just upgraded to a Ubiquiti Unifi system. Much more customisable, I can set each item to move once the signal strength drops below a certain level so if I move from the bedroom to the living room, the controller will force the phone to move to a closer/stronger signal.

Havent actually set it up yet, still waiting for a few of the bits to land.

Can’t beat ubiquiti although it’s addictive I have a whole rack full of gear now !

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »
    Can’t beat ubiquiti although it’s addictive I have a whole rack full of gear now !

As if I didn't have enough addiction issues. I got my first smart plug about 3 months ago, saw a cheapo own brand one in Penny's or something so decided to experiment.

Now have half a dozen tp-link plugs, 2 tp-link bulbs, 2 Meross door openers and 2 Shelly modules...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭54and56

Any thoughts on this TaoTronics TriBand mesh system? https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08CNFHYW5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_Kl57Fb7HP1J9X

Can be purchased for £159 with the £50 voucher until Jan 5th.

I'm not familiar with TaoTronic routers but have always thought their headphones and other kit was pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Daveq

54and56 wrote: »
    Any thoughts on this TaoTronics TriBand mesh system? https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08CNFHYW5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_Kl57Fb7HP1J9X

Can be purchased for £159 with the £50 voucher until Jan 5th.

I'm not familiar with TaoTronic routers but have always thought their headphones and other kit was pretty good.

Yes, I got these back in November. I have the Virgin Media Hub 3 and had issues with WiFi working from home. So far with these it's been excellent.

Daveq wrote: »
    Yes, I got these back in November. I have the Virgin Media Hub 3 and had issues with WiFi working from home. So far with these it's been excellent.

Thanks Daveq, do you reckon two units would cover a 2,000 sq ft two storey house with mostly studded partitions?

The reviews e.g. https://nerdtechy.com/taotronics-ac3000-mesh-wifi-router-review seem very positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Finally got around to seeing up the unifi ac lite access point that I got before Christmas.
    I have set it up in a spare bedroom which is across the hallway from my room - so essentially two walls away.
    The distance is about 10m at a guess.

I've checked the signal strength on my mobile and it is only showing 2 bars. I then used an app which shows about 62% signal strength.
    Is this expected and still a good result? I checked the range for the device with its over 120m (clear LoS I presume) so I I did think it would be higher.

• Advertisement

Thanks Daveq, do you reckon two units would cover a 2,000 sq ft two storey house with mostly studded partitions?

Hmmm, I wouldn't be 100% sure but I'd say so. I'm very happy with the results and Mrs Q hasn't complained once since getting them about the WiFi dropping.

I'm in a 3 bed semi roughly 990sqft. I get my full 250 down and 25 up on 5ghz in the complete opposite corner of the house upstairs.

When you're placing the second router, the app recommends how good the placement is.

Hmmm, I wouldn't be 100% sure but I'd say so. I'm very happy with the results and Mrs Q hasn't complained once since getting them about the WiFi dropping.

I'm in a 3 bed semi roughly 990sqft. I get my full 250 down and 25 up on 5ghz in the complete opposite corner of the house upstairs.

When you're placing the second router, the app recommends how good the placement is.

Thanks Daveq,

I'm on a bit of a Mesh learning curve this evening. I've figured out TriBand is the way to go and the TaoTronics system seems like super value (and scores excellent reviews) for £159 but I'm just not sure 2 units will do the trick.

This is a general mesh question but do you know if the 2nd unit will perform fully if it's getting a fairly weak signal from the base unit? I think I'm so scarred from the problems I have with range extenders that I can't believe mesh will actually work at full tilt so long as the add on units can establish enough of a connection back to the base unit to be "accepted" so to speak. I keep thinking if the 2nd unit is only getting a weak e.g. 10% type signal it'll only rebroadcast 10% of the 200mb available broadband like my range extenders do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

For a 2000ft/sq I'd be looking at a 3 pod mesh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Finally got around to seeing up the unifi ac lite access point that I got before Christmas.
    I have set it up in a spare bedroom which is across the hallway from my room - so essentially two walls away.
    The distance is about 10m at a guess.

I've checked the signal strength on my mobile and it is only showing 2 bars. I then used an app which shows about 62% signal strength.
    Is this expected and still a good result? I checked the range for the device with its over 120m (clear LoS I presume) so I I did think it would be higher.

That's about right on 5ghz. 5ghz will give higher speeds but will have half the penetration of 2.4ghz

That's about right on 5ghz. 5ghz will give higher speeds but will have half the penetration of 2.4ghz

The app says I'm connected using 2G.

The app says I'm connected using 2G.

Change channel on the ap, take it off auto and set a channel, get a WiFi analyser app for your smartphone and see what channels are in use nearby

So having read a good bit of this thread and several reviews (all very positive) I've ordered a 2 pod TaoTronics Tri-Band AC3000 mesh system and will add a 3rd pod separately if needs be.

ATM I have a dual band ASUS RT-N66U router with a lot of IOT devices (thermostat, smart plugs, Nest cameras etc) connected to the 2.4GHz channel and phones and laptops etc connected to the faster 5GHz channel.

With the benefit of experience would you recommend any tips or actions I should take to prepare for installing the Mesh system?

My current 2.4GHz network has a horrible name e.g. "ASUS-RT-N66U_2.4GHz".

I'd like to avoid having to re-connect all the 2.4GHz devices when I install the new Mesh system but don't want to have to carry the existing "ASUS-RT-N66U_2.4GHz" network name over to the Mesh system.

Does anyone know if I go into my current router and rename "ASUS-RT-N66U_2.4GHz" to something more suitable like "SmithFamilyWiFi" or whatever will the devices which are currently connected "ASUS-RT-N66U_2.4GHz" continue to be connected to "SmithFamilyWiFi" post the name change or will the name change mean they all have to be re-connected to "SmithFamilyWiFi" in which case I might as well just wait and do that when the Mesh system has been installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

You can't change the name (SSID) without having to manually reconnect all the devices.

Does anyone know if I go into my current router and rename "ASUS-RT-N66U_2.4GHz" to something more suitable like "SmithFamilyWiFi" or whatever will the devices which are currently connected "ASUS-RT-N66U_2.4GHz" continue to be connected to "SmithFamilyWiFi" post the name change or will the name change mean they all have to be re-connected to "SmithFamilyWiFi" in which case I might as well just wait and do that when the Mesh system has been installed?

Wait until you have the new router. I would then deactivate WiFi on your service provider router and replace the Asus with TaoTronics

Wait until you have the new router. I would then deactivate WiFi on your service provider router and replace the Asus with TaoTronics

Thanks Daveq,

My Virgin router was switched to modem only several years ago so I guess once the TT arrives I just need to unplug the Asus, set up the TT remembering to name the TTs 2.4GHz network to exactly the same name and password as the existing 2.4GHz network and fingers crossed all 26 or so (mostly IoT type) devices which use the 2.4GHz network will automatically connect to the TT. I'd hate to have to go round and re-connect them all, some of them, like the Tado thermostat haven't been touched in years!!

• Advertisement

Thanks Daveq,

My Virgin router was switched to modem only several years ago so I guess once the TT arrives I just need to unplug the Asus, set up the TT remembering to name the TTs 2.4GHz network to exactly the same name and password as the existing 2.4GHz network and fingers crossed all 26 or so (mostly IoT type) devices which use the 2.4GHz network will automatically connect to the TT. I'd hate to have to go round and re-connect them all, some of them, like the Tado thermostat haven't been touched in years!!

The client devices may not like the change in BSSID (Mac address for access point) renaming and reconnecting may be safer

The client devices may not like the change in BSSID (Mac address for access point) renaming and reconnecting may be safer

:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Quick question, will a mesh system make the existing WiFi networks disappear and replace them with a single new network with the same SSID all across the house?

Just wondering what will happen to my dual band WiFi networks that I’m currently using from Eir.

Quick question, will a mesh system make the existing WiFi networks disappear and replace them with a single new network with the same SSID all across the house?

Just wondering what will happen to my dual band WiFi networks that I’m currently using from Eir.

If you add mesh it is very important that you disable wireless on your existing router and create a new network on the mesh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

If you add mesh it is very important that you disable wireless on your existing router and create a new network on the mesh

That explains it. Thank you.

Also, one other question. I have a power line adapter running from my router up to my bedroom in order to hardwire an Ethernet cable to my TV. would I be able to keep this whilst setting up a mesh system?

That explains it. Thank you.

Also, one other question. I have a power line adapter running from my router up to my bedroom in order to hardwire an Ethernet cable to my TV. would I be able to keep this whilst setting up a mesh system?

Of course

Going to install the AP permanently now into position.
    This is the place where is going to install it just above these two faceplates.
    I've checked the routing of the conduit down into the backboxes and there is sufficient space to install.

It might be better to have it installed on an inside wall as opposed to the exterior wall, but that would have an ugly cable going up to the top of the wardrobe and over.

Is there anything wrong with this or can I just go ahead?

Thanks for the tip. I guess I shouldn't do this the lazy way (keeping the old WiFi name) and just accept I'm going to have to re-connect all devices to the new Mesh system. My main concern is re-connecting the Tado thermometer system as that's got a WiFi bridge etc but I'm sure I'll figure it out. Other than that WiFi plugs are easy technically but somewhat painful as a few are in not so easy to reach locations. The Nest Hello and Camera should be straightforward.

One more question:-

I operate a home office so have Virgin business broadband and as part of that I've 5 static IP addresses from them. I only use one of them and it's allocated to the existing ASUS router (connected by Ethernet to the Virgin Modem) as the WAN IP address.

I can't quite recall the reason for or benefits of having a static IP address set as the WAN IP address but I guess I should replicate the static IP address as the WAN address on the TT Mesh system?

If anyone has any suggestions for using the other 4 static IP addresses I currently don't use I'm all ears!!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Debs91

Hi all,

I’m enquiring what would be the best means of extending the Fibre to the bedroom & outside workshop area? I’ve tried the TP Link N450 Wireless N Access Point but it’s losing connection so would like to stabilize this if possible.

Vodafone FTTH 500mb bundle

Thanks,

Deborah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Debs91 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I’m enquiring what would be the best means of extending the Fibre to the bedroom & outside workshop area? I’ve tried the TP Link N450 Wireless N Access Point but it’s losing connection so would like to stabilize this if possible.

Vodafone FTTH 500mb bundle

Thanks,

Deborah

Best way is to run cat6 cabling to the locations , if you can’t do that either power line adapters or a decent WiFi mesh system (google one or similar )

Advertisement