Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi mesh systems

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    How do you do this now? Just ask Alexa?

Yep that does it. Simple enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

I have 3 Deco M5 setup at home. My FTTH is via Pure Telecom 1GB with one puck plugged into the router and the wireless turned off on the Fritz box. Once Deco upstairs with network cable into Sky mini and the 3rd one with same setup in another downstairs room where I also work from. It runs about 100MB down 90MB up on wireless in the room across the hall from the router where I have one of the Deco's setup near me. To be fair the speed is fine and I've no issue but will need to order one more Deco to plug to another sky mini in the extension which is almost finished. This is to also boost the signal to my wife's workplace ( unit at back of the house )....What I'm wondering is would I get a better signal again if I buy a better route (thinking a TP Link one ) or is this a dump question as the Deco is effectively my router now and would be a waster of money.

No you're going to complicate things if you introduce a router into the mesh network and won't gain anything as the mesh network provides the speed. The mesh network already acts as a router anyway. Perhaps I misunderstood your question though.

Are you connected to 2.4ghz or 5ghz wifi network when you get 90-100? The former goes further but is slower than 5ghz. 5ghz is a lot faster though.

You can also merge the connections so you only have one and the mesh network decides if it's over 2.4 or 5ghz. This might be the way you have it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

John_Mc wrote: »
    No you're going to complicate things if you introduce a router into the mesh network and won't gain anything as the mesh network provides the speed. The mesh network already acts as a router anyway. Perhaps I misunderstood your question though.

Are you connected to 2.4ghz or 5ghz wifi network when you get 90-100? The former goes further but is slower than 5ghz. 5ghz is a lot faster though.

You can also merge the connections so you only have one and the mesh network decides if it's over 2.4 or 5ghz. This might be the way you have it now.

It runs combined alright as you suggested. Think I'll just leave it alone as you suggested and just add the extra puck out in the backroom...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

It runs combined alright as you suggested. Think I'll just leave it alone as you suggested and just add the extra puck out in the backroom...

Yeah I have mine set up the same way as it's easier than having to choose what type of network to connect to.

You could try setting the device to a high Quality of Service (QoS). That might increase the speed a bit. 100mbps ain't a bad speed though. Adding another mesh node may or may not increase the speed. It depends on how far it is from other nodes and what's in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭robbe

Hi,

New to this mesh system but have decided to take the plunge on a pack of 3 eero (standard). My current setup is Virgin Media Hub 3.0 (500mb) which provides patchy enough wifi around the house supplemented by 4 homeplugs for Kids playstations/PCs and android boxes. Just have a few questions about how to set up the Eero. Happy enough that the Eero has to be connected to the VM Hub which needs to be put into modem mode, have seen some people mention needing an ethernet switch to connect addnl devices to the Eero as it only has 2 x ethernet ports - I assume this is necessary as the VM hub (located close by the Eero) will not get any device connected to it to the interet? Secondly I saw, in the reviews of the Eero on Amazon some people recommend giving the Eero network the same name as the VM in order to avoid having to reconnect all the exisiting devices (there are loads in my house from smart lightbulbs to cameras etc etc so if I could avoid that at all possible I'd be thankful), however can I ask if anyone has done this? Problem I see is that my VM connections are seperately named for both the 5ghz and 2.4ghz bands......not sure this can be replicated on the Eero setup but perhaps someone could advise? Last question - can the 2nd and 3rd Eero be run off the homeplugs or are better results achieved via wifi (everyones setup will differ, just wonder if there is a prevailing view)?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

So many choices.

So for a set of three. Whats a good middle of the road mesh system with the VM back in bridge mode.

I really only get a good signal from VM Wifi if I'm within about about 20ft of it. Drops off massively after that. So its either the i-Beam in the kitchen, or conflicting with other WiFi networks.
    If i use my own router TP AC1750 its better, but not much. Its more reliable is really the only reason I use it. Get lots of drops with VM hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Brian201888

I got the Deco M4 3 pack and it's doing great so far. Had a couple of small connection drops the first day but fine since then and I'm getting 200mb down upstairs just running them on wifi with no cabling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I got the Deco M4 3 pack and it's doing great so far. Had a couple of small connection drops the first day but fine since then and I'm getting 200mb down upstairs just running them on wifi with no cabling

I'm in the market for a mesh solution, being doing a bit of research and reckon I'll pull the plug on the M4 alright. Kinda holding out at this point for Black Friday deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Think when I checked 100 was the cheapest it's been for the 3 pack on camel camel camel so might not go down but may as well see if it does

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    How do you do this now? Just ask Alexa?

FYI you no longer need to order through Alexa, now available on their website for the same price.

So Amazon's offering and TP Link Deco are now priced the same at £150. Is there any consensus/opinion on which is better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Been having a lot of trouble with my Vodafone Wi-Fi over the months since March that I’ve been WFH. Have a 500 gigabit connection that’s rock solid, but the modem is in one corner of the house, and coverage upstairs where I work is patchy.

Set up a Deco M9 Plus 3 pack system today. The difference in coverage and WiFi speed is amazing. I ran speed tests in all rooms before and after with the WiFi Sweet Spots app. Getting 317 Mbps in the upstairs office now, where I was getting 13.

Got the main unit in the living room, one in the main bedroom right above it, and one in the spare bedroom/office. I was thinking about wiring the main one and the bedroom one with Cat 6 cable (I’d have to run it outside the house, but there’s access holes already for satellite cables), but I’m getting such good coverage from the 5Ghz dedicated backhaul that I don’t think I’ll bother.

I probably could have just done with the M5 system, and the real proof will be after a couple of weeks of work and wandering around the house from room to room in Teams calls, but so far it’s looking like a great buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Been having a lot of trouble with my Vodafone Wi-Fi over the months since March that I’ve been WFH. Have a 500 gigabit connection that’s rock solid, but the modem is in one corner of the house, and coverage upstairs where I work is patchy.

Set up a Deco M9 Plus 3 pack system today. The difference in coverage and WiFi speed is amazing. I ran speed tests in all rooms before and after with the WiFi Sweet Spots app. Getting 317 Mbps in the upstairs office now, where I was getting 13.

Got the main unit in the living room, one in the main bedroom right above it, and one in the spare bedroom/office. I was thinking about wiring the main one and the bedroom one with Cat 6 cable (I’d have to run it outside the house, but there’s access holes already for satellite cables), but I’m getting such good coverage from the 5Ghz dedicated backhaul that I don’t think I’ll bother.

I probably could have just done with the M5 system, and the real proof will be after a couple of weeks of work and wandering around the house from room to room in Teams calls, but so far it’s looking like a great buy.

Mesh wifi is a gamechanger indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

What's the chances of the Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LITE being on offer during the Black Friday sales?
    I'm not in a rush for it so could wait if it was going to be reduced?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

Not mesh wifi but a decent bargain on this I think.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07SFXZPL5?pf_rd_r=B9R6VBMB9B2CYSPVD3Z5&pf_rd_p=b4721ac4-3a58-4086-93ca-436516f2a16c&th=1

Got it in the warehouse for 280 pounds.

Looking at the Orbi mesh as well, would like to try out both to see how it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

What's the chances of the Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LITE being on offer during the Black Friday sales?
    I'm not in a rush for it so could wait if it was going to be reduced?

They are reduced price ATM
    https://keepa.com/#!product/2-B016K4GQVG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

digiman wrote: »
    Not mesh wifi but a decent bargain on this I think.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07SFXZPL5?pf_rd_r=B9R6VBMB9B2CYSPVD3Z5&pf_rd_p=b4721ac4-3a58-4086-93ca-436516f2a16c&th=1

Got it in the warehouse for 280 pounds.

Looking at the Orbi mesh as well, would like to try out both to see how it works.

Actually just found it on Amazon Italy warehouse for €258 delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Anyone with an Eero, did you have to use somewhere like Parcel Motel? At checkout I get the message that it can't be delivered to my address.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Pretty much the exact same experience as you except I went for the Linksys Velop system. Main node in the living room, one in the bedroom above and the last one in the attic bedroom/now office. Had the mesh system about 2 months now and the difference in quality on video calls and generally connectivity is huge. My wife is also WFH and I'm not hearing any more complaints about poor coverage anymore! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

neddynasty wrote: »
    My wife is also WFH and I'm not hearing any more complaints about poor coverage anymore! :)

My wife's WFH too, and I've been spending a lot of time troubleshooting her network issues, so hopefully that's a thing of the past now. I was just saying to my boss during the week how now that we're WFH, we're all corporate IT, network admins and facility managers as well as our regular jobs. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Is there no way to select which node your devices connect to with the Tenda Nova MW6?

I've got 4 in the house and one in the garage. All but 1 are hardwired back to the primary node which is wired directly to the router. Yet the garage door openers which sit a few feet away from the garage node, still connect to the primary which is miles away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Tiobkuhi

Hurrache wrote: »
    Anyone with an Eero, did you have to use somewhere like Parcel Motel? At checkout I get the message that it can't be delivered to my address.

Hi,

Same issue... were you able to resolve delivery?
    Is the eero system good? House is hardwired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Tiobkuhi wrote: »
    Hi,

Similar issue here, should have pulled the trigger last week, they now have a message stating shipping to UK only which wasn't the case recently. As well as that there seems to be a 2-3month wait!

Given all the above I'm reluctantly considering getting the TP Link Deco M5, it's currently priced at £139. The eero seems to be more highly rated in a few reviews I've read but not going to wait until it's restocked and probably back to full price.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭quartz1

cmac2009 wrote: »
    Similar issue here, should have pulled the trigger last week, they now have a message stating shipping to UK only which wasn't the case recently. As well as that there seems to be a 2-3month wait!

Given all the above I'm reluctantly considering getting the TP Link Deco M5, it's currently priced at £139. The eero seems to be more highly rated in a few reviews I've read but not going to wait until it's restocked and probably back to full price.

Bought a M5 about three weeks ago .....doest exactually what I needed it to do. I actually wired one of the units into my house alarm via ethernet cable ...all's good

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Tiobkuhi wrote: »
    Hi,

Got the Eero 3-pack early on this year via Parcel Motel. No issues, super easy to set up and has worked flawlessly since we got it.

I went with the Deco S4 3 pack for £100.

I've two set up downstairs so far and touch wood fixed all my coverage issues. Haven't had it long enough to see what the reliability is like. Have yet to switch the VM back to modern mode. Which I will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Deco M4 3 Pack on Littlewoods at the moment for € 110 delivered
    Same price as Amazon but you will have it a lot quicker. Got it myself 3 months ago and haven't looked back. Makes such a difference

https://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/tp-link-ac1200-deco-whole-home-mesh-wi-fi-system-deco-m4-3-pack/1600449052.prd?_requestid=684228&Ntt=deco%20m4

I dunno how but I ordered the TPlink from Amazon on Monday and it arrived on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭dam099

beauf wrote: »
    I dunno how but I ordered the TPlink from Amazon on Monday and it arrived on Tuesday.

I've had a delivery come next day as well last week and a few Saturday orders on the Monday in the last few weeks. I think they may have their local distribution hub up and running now, not using An Post either. Not sure if they are pre-positioning some stock here or if the new process is just more efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭EletricMan

Tempted by the decco m5 for 140gbp on Amazon. Dunno if it's s good deal or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 aomh

Which would be better out of these 3, all have a decent reduction on Amazon
    Tenda Nova MW5s-3 

TP-Link Deco S4(3-pack) AC1200

BT Mini Whole Home Wi-Fi, Pack of 3 Discs

They're all around the 80 pound mark, thanks.

Advertisement