Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you take for granted before lock down that you vow not to after?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Not speaking for myself here, since I always valued my health, but I hope people will walk away from this with a whole new appreciation for how lucky they are to be healthy and safe. Maybe put less energy towards shallow pursuits like drinking and travelling.

A nice creamy pint of Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,852 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Having a lovely day out in town.
    Cinema, lunch, couple of pints, home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Drinking and travelling tbh, miss them so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Trip to the pub. If it's a pub in a foreign country, all the sweeter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

I took for granted not having 500 packets of Koka noodles, 20 packs of ready to bake baguettes and a wall of toilet paper in my house.

Nixers....used enjoy (and complain about) going off doing bits and bobs in evenings for extra cash

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Parkrun!

Hopping in my car and driving somewhere like the Hell Fire club and having a run or walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

Watching a live sporting event.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭BillyBiggs

As simple as it sounds going to the cinema.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Giving the middle finger to oap drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Cody montana

manonboard wrote: »
    Drinking and travelling tbh, miss them so much!

Had you cancelled travel plans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

assholes starting new Covid 19 threads every minute of the day.

read corona threads

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Giving the finger to oaps.

And this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Flying willy nilly around the place quite a lot of times per year, purely for leisure purposes.

I actually did feel vaguely guilty about it, but it didn't stop me.

I suspect it'll be a long time before my lifestyle of recent years will be fully resumed, if ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,826 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Truthfully, simply hugging people (not randomers btw!) . Never realised how many of us greet each other with a hug , family or otherwise , until you don't have that option anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Not speaking for myself here, since I always valued my health, but I hope people will walk away from this with a whole new appreciation for how lucky they are to be healthy and safe. Maybe put less energy towards shallow pursuits like drinking and travelling.

Travelling is not a shallow pursuit.

If I died tomorrow, I would be happy how seeing the world has made me happy and travelling on my own has grown me and broadened my outlooks. I've visited Italy so many times and it is an amazing place. Seeing the sadness the Italians are experiencing now makes me even more determined and hopeful that this will end and I will see the world again.

Watched Rick Steins lost weekends this evening, he was in Sicily. Sitting at a street cafe, in a square, having a coffee or glass wine and just living in the moment.

What is shallow though, is to judge others through your own narrow lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Access to my mistress ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Social liberties

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Walking into a supermarket. Such a simple, mundane thing is now so much more complicated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Being with my fiance. Can't believe I had started to take that or granted, but I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

My grandparents. I'm 29 years old and I still have all four! But as I've gotten a bit older I've starting taking it for granted that they'll be around for a chat whenever, so I wasn't as diligent in contacting them as regularly as I should.

That sounds strange because they're all getting on now. Youngest is 79 and all of them having underlying conditions. But they've been an ever present in my life since day 1. I just overlooked how lucky I was to have them. I'm privileged that I've gotten to know them for so long and I want them to know that face to face.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

This whole thing has made me realise how little I actually do! Nothing much has changed for me to be honest, apart from work and going to the supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

my dad holding my 6 month old baby

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

coughing & sneezing in public

Pac1Man wrote: »
    This whole thing has made me realise how little I actually do! Nothing much has changed for me to be honest, apart from work and going to the supermarket.

I’m a bit like that too. Pub or a concert about 5 times a year and outside that I barely leave the couch from a Friday evening til a Monday morning.
    If I could do my Saturday morning shopping and visit my parents then I’d be back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,852 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Triplets?

• Advertisement

I miss the little things like going for breakfast after a swim, or just wandering around window shopping. I miss the OH who is in isolation. I really, really, miss hugs and cuddles.

Advertisement