Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you take for granted before lock down that you vow not to after?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,818 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I miss having my hair, nails and eyebrows done. I'm not even a real girly girl, but I feel so much more "together" when I've those wee bits done regularly.

Sorry, but the standards have changed somewhat.
    So now, someone who gets their nails and eyebrows done, professionally and regularly isn't a girly girl??

Don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Sorry, but the standards have changed somewhat.
    So now, someone who gets their nails and eyebrows done, professionally and regularly isn't a girly girl??

Don't get it.

I'd consider it essential basic personal maintenance. I work in a professional job so it's important to look groomed. I wouldn't be able to maintain my nails or eyebrows myself, wouldn't even know where to begin really. So it's just easier and faster to pay the experts to do it.

Candie wrote: »
    I miss the complete absence of dread.

Its awful isn't it? Dread. It's so suffocating. I know it well. It will be ok though Candie. Just keep holding on to that thought. It will be ok.

I'd consider it essential basic personal maintenance. I work in a professional job so it's important to look groomed. I wouldn't be able to maintain my nails or eyebrows myself, wouldn't even know where to begin really. So it's just easier and faster to pay the experts to do it.

You're a girly girl, by my standards, if you having your nails and eyebrows done as being essential basic personal maintenance.

Do you think that women with clean, trimmed nails and natural eyebrows are slovenly and not fit for a professional work environment?
    Are we in Madmen days?

You're a girly girl, by my standards, if you having your nails and eyebrows done as being essential basic personal maintenance.

Do you think that women with clean, trimmed nails and natural eyebrows are slovenly and not fit for a professional work environment?
    Are we in Madmen days?

I don't really think about how other women present themselves.

I've very thick scraggly eyebrows that need to be shaped and trimmed regularly. Believe me if I could get away without needing them done (like plenty of women can), I would.

And I could trim my own nails, but I'd be no good at shaping them or doing the cuticle work. I mean, obviously they're not done now, and it's no big deal. But I like to look down and see nicely manicured nails, plus I like the whole ritual of having them done every second week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I had Rage Against The Machine supported by Run The Jewels tickets. Show was due in May. - Cancelled.
    I had tickets to a festival in the south of France I love going to due in July. - Cancelled.

I know there woulda be plenty of other show and events I would have gone to but they are or will all be cancelled also.
    The uptick in online streaming from DJs and artists is cool but hardly a substitute.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

iamstop wrote: »
    I had Rage Against The Machine supported by Run The Jewels tickets. Show was due in May. - Cancelled.
    I had tickets to a festival in the south of France I love going to due in July. - Cancelled.

I know there woulda be plenty of other show and events I would have gone to but they are or will all be cancelled also.
    The uptick in online streaming from DJs and artists is cool but hardly a substitute.[/quote

Same here. Vacation to Spain tot cancelled as well as a concert in April. Not getting my time off back either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Ich liebe Berlin

Travel is my life and I am absolutely going out of my mind.

Picking my nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭De Danann

I used to go out for coffee with a friend every second Sunday to have a catch-up chat. We still have coffee in our own homes and a video call but it's just not the same. That will be one of the first treats I took for granted that I will be indulging in again after all this.

I like to picture what that first day out will be like. Will there be a vaccine/treatment developed by then, will we be as relaxed as we were before? Or will there still be a sense of anxiety in the air?

I know for sure that our usual catch-up chat will be full of talk of this virus either way..and probably laughing at how wild our hair has gone :D:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 FTCV041

Going fishing- before I used to be in a bad mood if a fishing session went badly, or I lost a good fish.
    That is completely in perspective now, I would kill to go fishing in a puddle right now!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Being able to get on a plane and visit my family on very short notice

The nursery! Being cooped up with 2 small children in a 2 bedroom apartment all day is hard work.

Going to coffee shops, I love a quiet moment just to sit down with a coffee that someone else has made for me.

My health - I've been absolutely walloped by Covid-19 and I was a healthy 35 year old.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

My health - I've been absolutely walloped by Covid-19 and I was a healthy 35 year old.

You have/had Covid-19? You should do an AMA!

Oh do you know what I really miss? The library. I always have at least 12 books out at any one time, and 12 (the maximum) on my hold list too. Plus I find libraries super relaxing and grounding. I'm not even stuck for books to read (yet!), as I'm buying books online, but I just miss the routine of going in for a browse every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

The peacefulness and calm walking my dogs at Blessington Lake. When this is all over, I'll walk the legs off them there.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭LilacNails

I'm jealous of the people who miss going for. Drinks with friends .... Heading out in a Friday or Saturday night.

I have very few friends and I'm just in a circumstance that I never get to go out just for a drink. I use when I had friends around, I miss it so much.

I have to admit, and I sound bitter but knowing that no one can go out ATM, I don't feel as bad or as sad.... Knowing that I'm not missing out.... For the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I don't yet miss going out. I might go to a pub garden 5 times in a summer, but not this early in the year. I don't go fishing/exploratory walks until later in April but I'll miss them soon. Right now I miss the possibility of a random visitor. At this time of year, people usually start calling in. Sometimes people you haven't seen for a few years. The emptiness of the road outside my gate, where you might expect to look up and see a car...knowing it's going to stay that way maybe all summer :(
    I feel like shroedinger's woman...if nobody sees me do I actually exist :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I don't miss anything. We have such peace now where we live. Both working from home, extra time and flexibility. Saving on petrol, pet sitter etc. It I wasnt pregnant before the pandemic I might miss going out drinking but our lives were already over anyway!

Probably just miss the option of being able to do something. So miss that freedom I suppose, rather than any specific thing. The freedom to make spontaneous decisions. You can stockpile all you want but you will never know what day you might just fancy a solero or a can of coke or whatever other random thing you can't justify just nipping to the shop for!

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

I do miss lurking on boards, which I did for almost 15 years.

However, these last few weeks I can’t pass a thread without feeling compelled to add my utterly useless opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 15 AliciaS

LilacNails wrote: »
    I'm jealous of the people who miss going for. Drinks with friends .... Heading out in a Friday or Saturday night.

I have very few friends and I'm just in a circumstance that I never get to go out just for a drink. I use when I had friends around, I miss it so much.

I have to admit, and I sound bitter but knowing that no one can go out ATM, I don't feel as bad or as sad.... Knowing that I'm not missing out.... For the next while.

The last paragraph rings a bell for me too. I sometimes feel lonely that I don't have a gang of girls that I can meet up with on a regular basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

Giving the middle finger to oap drivers.

Because, when this is all over there'll be less of them around?

I'M JOKING!

I took for granted my Friday night beers with the OH. We still have them but now we're joined by FiL who we're cocooning. Love him to bits but I could kill him quite easily right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭pgj2015

FTCV041 wrote: »
    Going fishing- before I used to be in a bad mood if a fishing session went badly, or I lost a good fish.
    That is completely in perspective now, I would kill to go fishing in a puddle right now!

just go then. nothing stopping you, just say you are going shopping if you need to. i dont think you will be doing much harm fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,927 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

pgj2015 wrote: »
    just go then. nothing stopping you, just say you are going shopping if you need to. i dont think you will be doing much harm fishing.
    The subversives haven't gone away, y'know :rolleyes:

Where would we be if we all took this attitude??

We're all missing something, some more than others - the more people cop on and play by the rules, the sooner we can get back to our beloved activities.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    The subversives haven't gone away, y'know :rolleyes:

Where would we be if we all took this attitude??

We're all missing something, some more than others - the more people cop on and play by the rules, the sooner we can get back to our beloved activities.

if i wanted to fishing right now, there are a lot of lakes beside me, i can drive to some very rural one, park the car and head off fishing for a few hours, i will not come into contact with anyone,i might actually do this this evening to be honest.

That person sounds like it might do them good.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,927 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

if i wanted to fishing right now, there are a lot of lakes beside me, i can drive to some very rural one, park the car and head off fishing for a few hours, i will not come into contact with anyone,i might actually do this this evening to be honest.

I know you can. Lots of us could do lots of things if we wanted, but we've been asked (nay, ordered) to STAY THE FK AT HOME. For everyone's sake, not just yours.

I'm not getting into yet another tit for tat on this, but your posts say a lot about you - if you're insistent on being De Webel, do it on your own time and don't encourage others to do likewise.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I know you can. Lots of us could do lots of things if we wanted, but we've been asked (nay, ordered) to STAY THE FK AT HOME. For everyone's sake, not just yours.

I'm not getting into yet another tit for tat on this, but your posts say a lot about you - if you're insistent on being De Webel, do it on your own time and don't encourage others to do likewise.

I can do what I want to be honest. just use you common sense, the situation I described isn't hurting anyone.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Getting a haircut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭megaten

Mostly the library and eating food I haven't cooked myself.

What if everyone had that attitude? One person, no problem. What if everyone felt entitled to bend the rules because it would do them some good too?

It's not about one person, it's about everyone. Nobody gets to be an exception, nobody gets to say their actions alone won't harm anyone because if one person can do that, why can't everyone?

Don't be selfish, follow the rules. People are risking their lives trying to help people infected by others who thought they were okay to do what they want.

• Advertisement

Candie wrote: »
    What if everyone had that attitude? One person, no problem. What if everyone felt entitled to bend the rules because it would do them some good too?

It's not about one person, it's about everyone. Nobody gets to be an exception, nobody gets to say their actions alone won't harm anyone because if one person can do that, why can't everyone?

Don't be selfish, follow the rules. People are risking their lives trying to help people infected by others who thought they were okay to do what they want.

look, the scenario I am talking about cant be stopped, so there is no point telling people not to do it. if i walk to a remote lake and fish for a couple of hours, what harm is that doing to anyone?

who is risking their lives?

Advertisement