Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you take for granted before lock down that you vow not to after?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭pgj2015

found this on the angling forum.

The IFI have issued guidelines to say you can indeed use angling as your brief exercise subject to:

Fishing for a brief period means no more than an hour to an hour and a half

Fish in a location less than or equal to 2km from your home

Driving to fish is considered non-essential travel and therefore it is NOT APPROPRIATE for people to drive to a location whether within 2km or further from home for the purpose of fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭Allinall

pgj2015 wrote: »
    found this on the angling forum.

The IFI have issued guidelines to say you can indeed use angling as your brief exercise subject to:

Fishing for a brief period means no more than an hour to an hour and a half

Fish in a location less than or equal to 2km from your home

Driving to fish is considered non-essential travel and therefore it is NOT APPROPRIATE for people to drive to a location whether within 2km or further from home for the purpose of fishing.

It's now illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Allinall wrote: »
    It's now illegal.

Since when?

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭Allinall

Stark wrote: »
    Since when?

Yesterday or the day before.

Guidelines were signed into law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Having a reason to make an effort with my appearance. Used to think being able to spend my work day in track pants or leggings was living the dream. Not anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭WellThen?

Deja Boo wrote: »
    The real possibility that an entire generation of chldren (born in this covid-era) will not get the precious opportunity to experience the love and life of grandparents.

For a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

pgj2015 wrote: »
    look, the scenario I am talking about cant be stopped, so there is no point telling people not to do it. if i walk to a remote lake and fish for a couple of hours, what harm is that doing to anyone?

who is risking their lives?

Let's say you are unlucky enough to take a tumble and break something. Can't walk anymore so you need to call an ambulance.

That ambulance could be needed for something more urgent but you're tying it up for a few hours because you 'needed' to go fishing.

People's selfishness can and will cost other's lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,818 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

petrolcan wrote: »
    Let's say you are unlucky enough to take a tumble and break something. Can't walk anymore so you need to call an ambulance.

That ambulance could be needed for something more urgent but you're tying it up for a few hours because you 'needed' to go fishing.

The same could be said about jogging or cycling. Where do you draw the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

My jeans fitting me.

Since this all took off we've been eating everything in sight and Tuesday night pints over Zoom seems to have become obligatory!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Most accidents happen in houses, or so I read somewhere once.

Walking to a fishing spot isn't a high risk activity. I use some out of the way rugged fishing spots but I've done it when I was frail and still felt it was safe. Just use common sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Sleepy wrote: »
    My jeans fitting me.

Since this all took off we've been eating everything in sight and Tuesday night pints over Zoom seems to have become obligatory!

Strange phenomenom I’ve only been eatin even less; as I thought would occur

• Registered Users Posts: 11,109 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Most accidents happen in houses, or so I read somewhere once.

Walking to a fishing spot isn't a high risk activity. I use some out of the way rugged fishing spots but I've done it when I was frail and still felt it was safe. Just use common sense.

And imagine taking such a cautious stance your whole life. Nothing would ever be done.

Do the shopping? What if a over-stacked shelf fell and crushed me?

Play sport? Sure I could break my leg in a tackle.

Go travelling? Not a hope. The plane could fall out of the sky.

It's amazing how people went about their day-to-day hobbies and activities at all before this epidemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

And imagine taking such a cautious stance your whole life. Nothing would ever be done.

Do the shopping? What if a over-stacked shelf fell and crushed me?

Play sport? Sure I could break my leg in a tackle.

Go travelling? Not a hope. The plane could fall out of the sky.

It's amazing how people went about their day-to-day hobbies and activities at all before this epidemic.

Yep. Exactly.

I do respect and appreciate the sentiment of all pulling together and that the rules matter now.

We have to live, though. If you can get out to a place where you're not likely to spread or contract the virus and you're doing something good for your wellbeing (and it is important now when people are under financial strain and penned in close quarters with others, friction can build up).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭pgj2015

the lake i usually go to is accessed by a flat field, i have been fishing there for 20 years and havent had a fall yet, i will take the chance. i am a fit young healthy person so the chances of a fall harming me is very small.

The same could be said about jogging or cycling. Where do you draw the line?

I'm cycling nowhere at the moment for that very reason. I'm not telling anyone what to do, more trying to get them to think of the possible consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Maybe put less energy towards shallow pursuits like drinking and travelling.
    I didn't do much of either of these before, and now miss being able to randomly walk around Dublin. Also miss weekly drinks with friends.

I'll have to put more time into the above when the COVID goes away!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭lillielad

My father, the sheep were lambing recently too and I was raging I couldn't head down...

GAA...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Standing on the side line watching my kids play their sport. We've gone from being out every evening with training/matches to nothing. Thankfully we live in a rural area so they can still go for runs or a walk. But I really miss the matches.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I wonder how this thread aged. Have people fallen back to their old ways?

Nope, not here

• Advertisement

"I expect my usual self to return in approximately 12 weeks. It will be a Friday and Leo will declare pubs, coffee shops and Liffey Valley to reopen"

Well. I won't make any money as a clairvoyant but two and a half outta three ain't bad :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Bohs matches.

I'll never bitch about them again.

I love bohs.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

Forest walks which we used to do every Sunday I miss that alot more than I thought I would,

• Registered Users Posts: 34,581 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

My grandparents, I'm 36 and have all four left, all low to mid 80s now and still going strong. It's pretty much like I've had four additional parents.

Freaked out though something might happen to one of them before this is all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Same accident could happen if we didn't have covid. Kind of obvious that some people are trying to sneak puritan values in under the cover of covid.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Travelling around the country on a whim. A random summer Sunday where you could end up 90 minutes from home, bit of sightseeing, a nice meal or picnic and the simple pleasure of a nice cup of coffee at an Applegreen on the journey. (Other petrol stations are available)

I used to class days like those as a runner up prize when there was nothing better on. I won't anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

o1s1n wrote: »
    My grandparents, I'm 36 and have all four left, all low to mid 80s now and still going strong. It's pretty much like I've had four additional parents.

Freaked out though something might happen to one of them before this is all over.

I’m the same, though 6 years younger than you. All but one in reasonably good shape aside from hearing, knees etc that come with age.

Stark wrote: »
    Same accident could happen if we didn't have covid. Kind of obvious that some people are trying to sneak puritan values in under the cover of covid.

Sure the same could happen if we didn't have covid. Fact is that we do have covid so why put additional pressure on services, especially now when there is something resembling hope in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

The need to go out for a big night out now and again. Always thought it was just something fun to do but it definitely is a need for me.

Need to go out and express yourself/dance/have the craic. Nothing like a party at 5/6 in the morning after coming back from a club. Different state of mind :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

The feeling you get sitting in a airport bar nursing a cold pint and looking forward to your trip.

Watching my kids play sport.

Advertisement