Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-03-2020, 16:39   #1
Man with a plan

Go Safe speed vans - essential service.

Passed one this morning.

Strategically placed as usual on a long empty stretch of road in the city.
Completely shooting fish in a barrel as roads empty on this normally busy stretch of road.
I assumed in the current climate that every effort would be made to keep staff from all non essential services at home in there houses to stop the spread but obviously these guys are an essential service
Advertisement
25-03-2020, 16:46   #2
coylemj

The traffic program (4 - 7 p.m., DJ is Hugh Hick) on Dublin City FM yesterday was pleading with people to not use empty roads as an excuse to drive like idiots exceeding the speed limits. He said that he was responding to reports from listeners.

So are speed vans an 'essential' service. As long as there are morons out there who treat empty roads as race tracks, yes.
25-03-2020, 16:50   #3
REXER

They are effectively self isolating and yes if they limit accidents they are definitely essential services limiting the use of emergency services and hospitals. We need more of them on the roads at the moment!
25-03-2020, 16:51   #4
punisher5112

More morons on the road then ever, these vans don't catch these tools though....
(3) thanks from:
25-03-2020, 16:53   #5
RoyNaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by coylemj View Post
The traffic program (4 - 7 p.m., DJ is Hugh Hick) on Dublin City FM yesterday was pleading with people to not use empty roads as an excuse to drive like idiots exceeding the speed limits. He said that he was responding to reports from listeners.

So are speed vans an 'essential' service. As long as there are morons out there who treat empty roads as race tracks, yes.
am I the only one to read that (dj) name as huge dick? too much isolation I guess
Advertisement
25-03-2020, 16:55   #6
Man with a plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by REXER View Post
They are effectively self isolating and yes if they limit accidents they are definitely essential services limiting the use of emergency services and hospitals. We need more of them on the roads at the moment!
Not sure how they are self isolating ?
They hardly drive the van home after a shift
Obviously they drive to the depot to pick up the van where other staff and drivers are. Maybe they have their lunch in the van also ? I honestly don't know ? Do they take a bus or luas to work ? If so they are again adding to the issue. If not then their cars will be needing petrol which will mean a trip to petrol station again more human interaction.
25-03-2020, 16:57   #7
punisher5112

I'm surprised service stations aren't making customers use the hatch and keep people out of the shops ...
25-03-2020, 17:04   #8
mikeecho

Technically the GoSafe vans are a Garda service (traffic policing).. even if it a service that is contracted out.
(4) thanks from:
25-03-2020, 17:07   #9
coylemj

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher5112 View Post
I'm surprised service stations aren't making customers use the hatch and keep people out of the shops ...
Because customers spend more when you let them into the shop. A lot of them couldn't survive on the margin they make on fuel. And if you have to go to a hatch, you will buy solely on price and go to the guy who's cheapest in your area.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
25-03-2020, 17:09   #10
bazz26

I giggle at these threads, its always someone else's fault no matter what.

Some people think that because there is national crisis, that they are entitled to some sort of a free pass around certain laws and regulations. They then grasp at straws by claiming it's a BS health and safety concern, shooting fish in a barrel, blah, blah. The speed limits on our roads are the same today as they were 2 months ago, as are the laws governing them. If you choose to break the speed limit then be prepared to take the punishment if caught otherwise don't be the fish.
25-03-2020, 17:14   #11
REXER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man with a plan View Post
Not sure how they are self isolating ?
They hardly drive the van home after a shift
Obviously they drive to the depot to pick up the van where other staff and drivers are. Maybe they have their lunch in the van also ? I honestly don't know ? Do they take a bus or luas to work ? If so they are again adding to the issue. If not then their cars will be needing petrol which will mean a trip to petrol station again more human interaction.
So you want the road all to yourself? They are in the vans, on their own when they are set up to "Shooting fish in a barrel" and who knows, possibly they do have their meals with them. All the rest of your post is exactly what you need when using your own transport. Just follow the rules, drive sensibly, take care on the roads and hopefully you won't be an additional burden on a medical system that is rapidly being overwhelmed.

Please stay safe out there on the roads and have a nice day!
Thanks from:
25-03-2020, 17:22   #12
Man with a plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazz26 View Post
I giggle at these threads, its always someone else's fault no matter what.

Some people think that because there is national crisis, that they are entitled to some sort of a free pass around certain laws and regulations. They then grasp at straws by claiming it's a BS health and safety concern, shooting fish in a barrel, blah, blah. The speed limits on our roads are the same today as they were 2 months ago, as are the laws governing them. If you choose to break the speed limit then be prepared to take the punishment if caught otherwise don't be the fish.
For what its worth I didn't get done as I had just came around a corner onto the road. While waiting at the traffic lights I saw the odd car pass by which would have passed in its path. Probably just the over the limit the odd one or two. The sad irony is these people who probably got done are more than likely the front line staff going to work keeping the country going during this sh!tstorm.
(3) thanks from:
25-03-2020, 17:45   #13
bazz26

To be honest, it sounds like your just making that assertion to support your rant @ GoSafe vans.
25-03-2020, 17:52   #14
PukkaStukka

How many road fatalities have there been since the emergency measures were introduced,?
25-03-2020, 17:55   #15
BailMeOut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkaStukka View Post
How many road fatalities have there been since the emergency measures were introduced,?
Numbers of deaths on Irish roads soar despite coronavirus restrictions

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion