Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts on Covid19?

Options
  • 12-03-2020 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭

Are you still going to train in the gym?

A lot of the bigger chains have had to shut their doors due to the amount of people in the gym at any one time, has your shut?

I still want to train and will spray down an clean everything before I use it, I guess avoiding people will be the trick though.

Thoughts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

A lot of the bigger chains have had to shut their doors due to the amount of people in the gym at any one time, has your shut?

I still want to train and will spray down an clean everything before I use it, I guess avoiding people will be the trick though.

Thoughts

Tough, there’s bigger things at stake here than maintaining your gainz
    Train at home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I was there today, but it'll be the last time for a few weeks.
    I had already decided this and then the school closure announcement was made.
    Regardless, I'd say most/all gyms will close too. Ours have already messaged to say that the kids swimming lessons won't be going ahead as planned.
    I'll have to come up with some exercises to do at home. I have no equipment though, so can only do so much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I had been planning to train again this weekend as i missed a couple weeks but even if it's open id better not. Might as well stay safe
    Gyms should be closing really anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Thoughts

Cleaning equipment makes f**k all difference. It's transmitted through the air. Bringing people together in relatively close proximity indoors only increases the risk of transmission through the air. That's why larger gyms are closing.

I don't know when I last went 2 weeks without training. I'd love to be training and I was supposed to be doing a competition in 2 weeks but that's been cancelled. But closing the gym is the right thing to do.

Anyone querying that, in the current context, needs their head read though I know you're not really questioning it, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭rpurfield

I was planning on going in my gym on the way home from work, but I had decided then to leave off until after 8 when it quietens down normally. I was in Tuesday and it was far too busy and in my mind I was reluctant to be in a crowded space. In fairness to the staff they were flat out spraying everything the last week but even still I wouldn't trust it.

Anyway just got in the door after making that decision and they announced on social media that they are closing after tonight till the 29th, so I left it off as I think it will be packed. The ****ty bit though is not long after they announced it a newer gym in the town had a big push on their social media that they are remaining open. Each to their own but putting a push on for new members because another business is being sensible is a bit much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

My gym in the city centre announced today that it's closing for a couple of weeks. I'd say they'll remain closed for a good while after that.

The only thing good is that although we've been told to work from home, there's a 24-hour gym in work that I hope to be able to sneak in and out of to maintain myself.

I really hate when my gym closes, even for a few days over the Christmas and stuff like that. Thank fuq for the work gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

my work is several times more dense people-wise then the gym, if you go, I guess go as off peak as you can

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Well some of my fellow gym users are disgusting ****ers .. I really only noticed the last few days. Coughing and spluttering all over the cardio machines and then chopping and changing between different equipment without any attempt to clean them , So I definitely think I will train at home the next few weeks.
    The gym isn’t closing but they have cancelled all the classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭obi604

Was going to go to the gym myself. drove to gym (on way home from work) and pulled up outside.

Could kinda see In window, There were a few in there but well down.

I decided against but sat outside for about 5 minutes contemplating.

During this time I read that flyefit was closing, when I read this, I kinda went in to a state of shock, as they never close :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

FlyeFit closed until 30th March.
    Same with Ben Dunne.

No local place is still open/no update yet..
    Going to be full of new members tomorrow looking to sign up for month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Kamu

If my gym didn't announce that it would close until the 30th, I'd still be going everyday.

The gym is never going to be the most hygienic place to be, but i take public transport, and was in two separate stores today with at least 50+ people squeezing by; so I'd be willing to take my chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Kamu wrote: »
    so I'd be willing to take my chances.

That's the thing with an easily transmitted virus for which the herd have no immunity, they are not just your chances.

Any vulnerable person you are in contact with will now have an increased risk.

With an average incubation period of 5 days, low risk people need to think long and hard about their social responsibility to high risk groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

yeah i was in flyefit yesterday after work and they announced they were closing in an hour. its the right decision, but still annoying. I would have kept going if they were still open so probably good to take the decision out of people like mine's hands!
    Im gonna have to do cardio/ eat less now for a few weeks which is devastating news however

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Febreeze

My local gym is still open. Running videos on instagram showing their cleaning routine after each person uses an equipment. Fair play to them. Me however, I plan on avoiding it for the time being. The gym I go to is a tiny one, rarely ever packed and classes rarely ever full so I don't mind too much but I'm still weary. I suppose smaller business are doing their hardest to keep themselves going, money wise and I honestly feel for them. Theres a salon newly opened near me and they are trying their hardest to just keep themselves going. I hope this doesn't affect to many people. In terms of working out, I plan on bringing the dog out as much (if possible) and YouTube has plenty of videos I can browse through if I want to workout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

OmegaGene wrote: »
    spot on, going to the gym now is just selfish
    prioritising gains over risk of life is utter madness, and while im chomping at the bit to go as im normally there 7 days a week it is far too risky

Free open air gym available. 😀

Hatchet HIIT*
    Heavy lifting in wood

*it makes a crossfit competition look like an ergonomics convention but great workout

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Cleaning equipment will do feck all to stop the spread of any virus. All it does is give a false sense of security.

Lads, there are more important things right now than training.

We all have elderly relatives this will kill. It won’t kill us be we can carry it to people it will. Don’t be selfish, stay out of group situations as much as possible.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Buy a set of weights and train at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Thanks for your thoughts all.

I won't be going for the next while.

Reckon it's home body weight based training for the next few weeks

Any good sources for info on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

Brian? wrote: »
    Cleaning equipment will do feck all to stop the spread of any virus. All it does is give a false sense of security.

Your statement is completely untrue.

Read below advice from HSE posted Fri 13th
    Can I go to a gym?
    If you are going to a gym with good hygiene standards then your risk of contracting the virus is low. If the gym management is asking people if they are well before they come in through the door, then that risk is even lower. If going to the gym is important to you for your health and mental wellbeing then go to a gym with good hygiene standards and one that is policing to prevent members that are unwell from coming in. Same principles apply, keep one metre distance, and minimise touch of surfaces and your eyes, nose and mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

CWF wrote: »

Can I go to a gym?
    If you are going to a gym with good hygiene standards then your risk of contracting the virus is low. If the gym management is asking people if they are well before they come in through the door, then that risk is even lower. If going to the gym is important to you for your health and mental wellbeing then go to a gym with good hygiene standards and one that is policing to prevent members that are unwell from coming in. Same principles apply, keep one metre distance, and minimise touch of surfaces and your eyes, nose and mouth.

Good luck minimising touching surfaces in a gym.

• Advertisement

CWF wrote: »

Can I go to a gym?

Do you really trust the HSE?

Do you really trust other people to clean equipment, when you see how stupid people can be - spanner’s queuing to get in to pubs last night.

People may be infected already and not even know yet.

And all the hand washing and disinfecting isn’t worth a damn when this thing can do airborne transmission.

People are infectious before symptoms so people won't be likely to know if they could be carrying anything. Also, asking people if they are well when they have made the effort to go is going to give you one answer.

How do you define 'good hygiene standards'? Wiping down equipment after every person has used them?

Any mention of ventilation for air quality as the virus is typically transmitted through the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Good luck to you finding a gym open Alf.
    Won’t be going bear one. They are breeding grounds for germs

Gael23 wrote: »

Don’t think Alf is looking for an open gym.....

EmptyTree wrote: »
    Good luck minimising touching surfaces in a gym.

Tbf, it refers to minimising touching surfaces and your eyes, nose and mouth.

Gael23 wrote: »

I won't be going to an open one or a bear one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'd love to see one of those body weight videos by someone who isnt already ripped.

Their exercises tend to be rather complex for people who haven't strenght enough to do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Tbf, it refers to minimising touching surfaces and your eyes, nose and mouth.

Ya, and how many people are going to manage that in a gym?

EmptyTree wrote: »
    Ya, and how many people are going to manage that in a gym?

Not touch your nose, eyes and mouth when your in the gym?

Is that really unmanageable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I was in the gym last night with maybe 4 other people. I’m still required to go to work in closer proximity with hundreds of people. If I contract the virus it’ll be from work, not the gym

Advertisement