Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts on Covid19?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Thanks! Has that been officially written anywhere? I have heard a couple of times that you can go out for exercise but for the life of me I can't find where that was said by any government body.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It is yes, 1 hour once per day

In Ireland? Where did you see the one-hour limit?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

It is yes, 1 hour once per day

They didnt specify a duration on outdoor activity so this is incorrect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

faceman wrote: »

They didnt specify a duration on outdoor activity so this is incorrect

Sorry getting mixed up with UK.

https://www.thejournal.ie/coronavirus-new-measures-5055686-Mar2020/

"There will be no restrictions on the amount of times a person can leave their home a day but people are being told not to exceed groups of four people. "

Sorry getting mixed up with UK.

https://www.thejournal.ie/coronavirus-new-measures-5055686-Mar2020/

"There will be no restrictions on the amount of times a person can leave their home a day but people are being told not to exceed groups of four people. "

I don't think they specified a time limit in the UK either outside of a 'period' of exercise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Ugh. Done something funny to my knee and now it’s all swollen. Will have to limit my already limited routine to strength only. Home gymming is hard work :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I can't run but I kinda wish I could. I have a 12kg kettlebell and 2 resistance bands. Was sent a workout to do with those (though it hasn't involved the bands yet). My legs are currently pretty sore from goblet squats with the kettlebell.

Amazing the burn you'll get from increasing reps and/or changing the tempo.

This has made me feel better Alf - I have a 12kg KB for squats too and finding them much tougher than I thought - they are a different animal to back squats!

I do have a 20kg KB that I use for rows too but can't really hold it for long enough to do many squats either in a goblet position or in the rack position :o:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

found a decent hack for my bands, using them with barbell grips, should be able to mimic alot cable station exercises. was finding the bands a bit sore on the hands otherwise.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

This has made me feel better Alf - I have a 12kg KB for squats too and finding them much tougher than I thought - they are a different animal to back squats!

I do have a 20kg KB that I use for rows too but can't really hold it for long enough to do many squats either in a goblet position or in the rack position :o:o:o

There is single leg work as well...with a tempo. All you can do is work with what you have...you hear people focusing on what they don't have. Still had DOMS this morning from goblet squats with a 12kg KB

There is single leg work as well...with a tempo. All you can do is work with what you have...you hear people focusing on what they don't have. Still had DOMS this morning from goblet squats with a 12kg KB

Ah stop, I was hoping this was the perfect excuse to stop doing bulgarian split squats! :pac::pac::p

• Advertisement

Ah stop, I was hoping this was the perfect excuse to stop doing bulgarian split squats! :pac::pac::p

First night was Bulgarian Split Squats with 30X0 tempo. Felt it in quads after...and the day after

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i can only do single leg box jumps onto the couch on my right leg

that's the end of my story

bluewolf wrote: »
    i can only do single leg box jumps onto the couch on my right leg

that's the end of my story

I can't even do a box jump with both legs onto a phone book (remember them? :cool:) - I know it's all in my mind but seriously one leg?? :eek::eek::eek:

Finding that tempo can make the work more effective than I anticipated from a 12kg kettlebell. Not to mention the high reps. Still feeling it in the glutes hams and quads primarily from goblet squats and tempo single leg RDLs on Friday night.

Modifying by changing/adding tempo and bands now just for some variation.

And well for some of us the "warm up" red band is more than enough for OHP :o:o:o

And well for some of us the "warm up" red band is more than enough for OHP :o:o:o

Nothing wrong with that. I just had a go of it there to compare with KB and I'd probably do a few more reps for the same effect but I wouldn't say there is a massive difference in 'weight' at the top, but I'm possibly taller than you so get a few more kgs at the top :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I can't even do a box jump with both legs onto a phone book (remember them? :cool:) - I know it's all in my mind but seriously one leg?? :eek::eek::eek:

someone mentioned it elsewhere and i was like i've never heard of this i have to try it
    i tried a few more times but keep landing on both feet

saw this video as well of single leg squats i might try again, back onto a chair or something

bluewolf wrote: »
    someone mentioned it elsewhere and i was like i've never heard of this i have to try it
    i tried a few more times but keep landing on both feet

saw this video as well of single leg squats i might try again, back onto a chair or something

Yeah I remember one of the lads I train with doing those - single leg squats...well, lowering onto a box/chair - cos he to build back some basics after injury. Was really cool seeing the level of control increase and imbalance even out over time

When you break down a set of 16 reps into 4 x 4 minisets to help you keep count :cool::cool:...

....and then lose count of whether you are on the 3rd or 4th miniset :o:o

When you break down a set of 16 reps into 4 x 4 minisets to help you keep count :cool::cool:...

....and then lose count of whether you are on the 3rd or 4th miniset :o:o

Was always forgetting so if I do that now I count like:

1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 1-4, 2-1, 2-2 etc

• Advertisement

Oh nice - thanks!

Also works for sets of tempo things
    Like a 4s tempo squat x 4 reps:
    1 2 3 4, 2 2 3 4, 3 2 3 4, 4 2 3 4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

How is everyone home training going?

Have found the bands to be actually really great. Have 2 nice little routines done up that should see me through now.

How is everyone home training going?

Have found the bands to be actually really great. Have 2 nice little routines done up that should see me through now.

Pretty good. Have two different bands and a 12kg kettlebell and have two workouts but have been changing tempo and incorporating bands to add some variation. Had 3 days of DOMS after the workout that involved goblet squats with the 12kg kettlebell.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Cables are fun , off doors , windows. Might be fooling myself as to the amount Im doing but seems ok for upper body. Started something called jo-ging or jog-ing , has potential.

507744.jpg

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I'm doing a full body twice per week, and a lot more time on the spin bike than normal. In the gym I'd usually do 4 days weights & 2 days spin.

Currently using a couple of bands and a couple of KBs for the following

A1 4 x Push ups AMRAP
    A2 4 x KB squats (varying reps & tempo by session)

B single arm OHP - red band 5 x 10 reps

C1 4 x KB One arm row
    C2 4 x KB swings

D1 3 x KB sumo squat
    D2 3 x one arm KB floor press

If time/energy finish with some tricep pull downs / lateral raises with a band

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kamu

I'm similar to others here, doing full-body (ish) at least twice a week, but aiming for 3 - 4 times a week.

I've various bands and a 24kg kettlebell.

Workout A
    - Pushups
    - KB Single Leg Romanian Deadlift (Balance is an issue, not really feeling them)
    - Tricep Pushdown with band
    - Bicep Curl with band
    - Bent Over Row with band
    - Shoulder Press with band
    - Crunch

Worout B
    - Pushups (no other chest option)
    - KB Goblet Sumo Squat (I don't have the flexibility in my ankles to do a normal squat without my heels coming up)
    - Tricep Pushdown with band
    - Bicep Curl with band
    - Lat Raise with band
    - Superman
    - Plank

Running at least 3 times a week and doing yoga/foam rolling at least 3 times a week.

Overall, it's fine. I'm not particularly enjoying the workouts, I feel like I'm just going through the motions and the lack of space is a hindrance with motivation. The runs are going well though, C25K helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭sp00k

When does everyone expect to see the inside of a gym again? Weeks? Months?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

sp00k wrote: »
    When does everyone expect to see the inside of a gym again? Weeks? Months?

My guess is we'll be phasing out restrictions in the reverse order they came in, hopefully just another few weeks.

• Advertisement

bladespin wrote: »
    My guess is we'll be phasing out restrictions in the reverse order they came in, hopefully just another few weeks.

I would be surprised if it was just a few weeks, to be honest. It's very difficult to manage distancing which will possibly be one of the criteria for lifting restrictions. Obviously, I could be wrong but I wouldn't expect most gyms to be open before June

Advertisement