Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will clubs cancel racing over the next few months ?

Options
  • 05-03-2020 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭

I know there is a thread about the coronavirus but this is quite specific.

Anyone here involved with a club worried about how the virus may affect your event or have you had any discussion's on cancelling your event over the next 2 or 3 month's.
    RTE reporting now that its only a matter of time before its widespread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭dahat

It's definitely an interesting one but I'd imagine unless it gets massively worse then all should be fine.

I say the above as a rider hoping for the best...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,361 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suspect a club race is of far less concern than a big name event likely to attract many spectators crowding together?

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mamax

i suspect a club race is of far less concern than a big name event likely to attract many spectators crowding together?

I was thinking more about rider safety than large amount of spectators.
    7 more cases overnight and the WHO have suggested some countries not taking it seriously enough.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I was at the DW race this morning, my own club wouldn't shake hands, the club beside my car where all doing jokey elbow shakes. If eevryone in Ireland took too being so non touchy feely as cyclists we would all be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭bwalsh1983

Fair play to Tralee Manor West, hand sanitizer, gloves etc all in full effect at Lacey Cup sign on yesterday. Taking precautions where they can and guidance where possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

shame theres no guidance to clubs on this from cycling ireland

even if you wanted hand sanitizer you cant get it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

shame theres no guidance to clubs on this from cycling ireland

even if you wanted hand sanitizer you cant get it.

They're probably waiting for some guidance themselves in fairness. There doesnt seem to be any sort of decision making happening at least to the public eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

interesting alright that cycling ireland haven't made any comment. it is only a matter of time (whether days or weeks) before some clarity is needed from them. I would imagine club spins would be OK but events could be a different story. Think of the ring of Kerry bringing thousands from every corner of Ireland, it would be the equivalent of a cycling petri dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Vets racing starts back in a few weeks. I'm not looking forward to all the hacking, coughing and spluttering that happens the first few laps of the first race. And that's just me :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Is there a potential issue if the medical cover required for events (Order of Malta, Civil Defence or St Johns Ambulance) is required to assist the HSE in the short term?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mamax

It looks like there could be many issues for races coming up.
    Do riders want to be in a close bunch with others spit and snot flying around ?
    Will clubs be able to provide adequate medical cover ?
    I'ts all new and a weird waiting game :confused:

cunavalos wrote: »
    Is there a potential issue if the medical cover required for events (Order of Malta, Civil Defence or St Johns Ambulance) is required to assist the HSE in the short term?

A very good point, it is a requirement of an open race, and in my opinion should be a requirement of club leagues as well. As most are first aid responders rather than EMTs or advanced EMTs though, it might not be a major issue.

mamax wrote: »
    It looks like there could be many issues for races coming up.
    Do riders want to be in a close bunch with others spit and snot flying around ?
    Will clubs be able to provide adequate medical cover ?
    I'ts all new and a weird waiting game :confused:

More and more my plans to go from the gun are looking like a good call.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

Just a note to anyone training really hard at the moment.
    This is a novel virus. There is no immunity to it, that is why models predict rapid spread when it is out of the containment and in the community,
    When you meet this virus, your immune system must be able to react appropriately to it. That means, develop antibodies to neutralise it and also to deal with infected cells without causing excessive inflammation
    Anyone who has done a big winter training plan will be familiar with being derailed by getting sick. This is because excessive training stress is immunosuppressive. This is well described in medical literature

So for me, I am going to continue training. I am not going to train tired. I'm going to pay attention to my resting heart rate and rest between sessions. I'm going to eat well and not seek to drop weight too quickly. I am going to sleep well. Im not going to do 160kms in zone 3/4 chasing wheels I cannot hold. Not this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

CramCycle wrote: »
    A very good point, it is a requirement of an open race, and in my opinion should be a requirement of club leagues as well. As most are first aid responders rather than EMTs or advanced EMTs though, it might not be a major issue.

I can only speak for local organisations here in Cork (though cannot see why it would be significantly different elsewhere) but a significant percentage of the voluntary ambulance crews are trained to EMT / Paramedic / Advanced Paramedic level (many work for the HSE ambulance service).

Back in 2018 for the Beast from the East, I believe the HSE had the voluntary ambulance crews available to provide support for the HSE crews (non-critical patient transfer etc).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,361 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if the HSE move to a 'stay at home and we'll visit you' mode of containment, i suspect you won't get a paramedic to cover a cycle race for love nor money. suits the HSE's agenda too, they will not want to be dealing with relatively minor injuries from cycle races when they're already stretched.

I can only speak for local organisations here in Cork (though cannot see why it would be significantly different elsewhere) but a significant percentage of the voluntary ambulance crews are trained to EMT / Paramedic / Advanced Paramedic level (many work for the HSE ambulance service).

Back in 2018 for the Beast from the East, I believe the HSE had the voluntary ambulance crews available to provide support for the HSE crews (non-critical patient transfer etc).

It depends who you get here, the current crowd we have are all EMTs but the previous crowd we had didn't and all they could do was secure the scene and provide first aid until an ambulance arrived. Great to have the lights etc. but having an EMT there gives a bit more reassurance IMO. The crowd we now use are not a voluntary service like St. JOhns or IRC, but a private company so not sure if the HSE stuff will affect them. We have them booked for the year anyway so hopefully they can honour that.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Dietmar Hamann

Ras Naomh Finian cancelled according to reports due to Covid-19 :(

Ras Naomh Finian cancelled according to reports due to Covid-19 :(

No mention on their facebook or website yet.

No mention on their facebook or website yet.

Yeah noticed that when I went looking. Got it from one of the lads who is a Commissaire in our club so taking it as he got notice from the powers to be in CI

• Advertisement

Gone from Cycling Ireland's online sign on facility

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I see a good few more gone overnight, I can't see many more going ahead over the next two to three weeks based on the pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

I see a good few more gone overnight, I can't see many more going ahead over the next two to three weeks based on the pattern.

To be honest I can't see how any should go ahead at this point. As soon as it's deemed unsafe for one event to go ahead the same should apply across the board really. I'd expect CI to make an announcement as opposed to letting it's clubs make their own decisions.

Looks like I'll be renewing zwift and racing virtually the next few weekends.

basketball ireland have cancelled all events.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Junior

Wasn't an easy decision for us down in Carrick, but to be honest a lack of direction from CI means Clubs are the mercy of making the right and or wrong decision.

Junior wrote: »
    Wasn't an easy decision for us down in Carrick, but to be honest a lack of direction from CI means Clubs are the mercy of making the right and or wrong decision.

You made the right decision, regardless of opinions, this is the safest action and if I was part of running an event, it would be what I would call for. If said event refused to defer and my name was attached, I'd be pulling my name from it.

Junior wrote: »

Right decision made. The difference a week makes is massive. We were in touch with CI and the HSE last week and got very little guidance regarding whether our races should be run or not last Saturday.

Hopefully CI come out with some direction now that you and other clubs have cancelled races. Better that we lose 2 or 3 weeks of the season now rather than waiting a week or 2 and loosing 2 or 3 months.

Newbridge GP not available now on Cycling Irelands online sign up facility. Looks like that one is gone now too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Junior

Right decision made. The difference a week makes is massive. We were in touch with CI and the HSE last week and got very little guidance regarding whether our races should be run or not last Saturday.

Hopefully CI come out with some direction now that you and other clubs have cancelled races. Better that we lose 2 or 3 weeks of the season now rather than waiting a week or 2 and loosing 2 or 3 months.

Yeah and look earlier in the week, I was thinking what's the harm, it's probably look enough risk, but day by day and hour by hour it has escalated.

Advertisement