Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will clubs cancel racing over the next few months ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,653 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Junior wrote: »
    Wasn't an easy decision for us down in Carrick, but to be honest a lack of direction from CI means Clubs are the mercy of making the right and or wrong decision.

Correct call given the wider implications for the community.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Pretty sure all races will be cancelled this weekend.
    Be fairly irresponsible to run one in the next while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭KAGY

All outdoor events over 500 should be cancelled according to announcement. The local club duathlon was cancelled just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Dietmar Hamann

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/cycling-news-item/cycling-ireland-statement-coronavirus-covid-19/27483

Looks like all events canceled including club spins as they come under approved Cycling Ireland events.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/cycling-news-item/cycling-ireland-statement-coronavirus-covid-19/27483

Looks like all events canceled including club spins as they come under approved Cycling Ireland events.

I am reading that as just events and not club spins but I could be wrong, wouldn't be heading on one anyway but thats my reading

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    I am reading that as just events and not club spins but I could be wrong, wouldn't be heading on one anyway but thats my reading

We looked at it from an insurance perspective a while back and the advice received was that club spins came under the remit of approved events. I'll be sticking to the turbo for the foreseeable future...

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭rayman1

We looked at it from an insurance perspective a while back and the advice received was that club spins came under the remit of approved events. I'll be sticking to the turbo for the foreseeable future...

I don't read it as including club spins but they do say a further statement will be announced later this evening around club activities.
    Can't see much of an issue with 10 or 12 people out in the fresh air on a club spin if sensible precautions are taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm planning on getting out several times next week for solo spins if working from home

Hard to keep the social distancing up on a group spin though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

I'm planning on getting out several times next week for solo spins if working from home

Just thinking the same.

Me, my bike and the open road is all I need to keep my sanity levels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

eeeee wrote: »
    Hard to keep the social distancing up on a group spin though?

It'd give credence to the usual "they were all over the road" comments :-)

rayman1 wrote: »
    I don't read it as including club spins but they do say a further statement will be announced later this evening around club activities.
    Can't see much of an issue with 10 or 12 people out in the fresh air on a club spin if sensible precautions are taken.

We didn't either until we got advice from an insurance professional. It's related to the 3rd party insurance cover that only exists if it is on an approved event (club spin) under Cycling Ireland rules so you could take same reading of that here that approved events include club spins under the list of cancellations.

My personal reading of it is that it is similar to the GAA. All events be they matches (races in Cycling Irelands case) or training (Club Spins) are cancelled till 29th of March.

I'll happily be corrected here by Cycling Ireland if the give another announcement on the issue regarding club activities.

I see Triathlon Ireland have come out with the following:

Effective from 6pm today, all Triathlon Ireland affiliated clubs are advised to cancel club training sessions and events until 29 March.

https://www.triathlonireland.com/News/2020/Covid-19-and-Triathlon.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I did a zwift race last night, first one in a while. I thought it was quite realistic as I was spat out the back!! There was a lad from Orwell in it too - those guys are everywhere!

I see a lot more of these in my future. Is it possible to set up an invite only race I wonder - Boards.ie championship?

lennymc wrote: »
    I did a zwift race last night, first one in a while. I thought it was quite realistic as I was spat out the back!! There was a lad from Orwell in it too - those guys are everywhere!

I see a lot more of these in my future. Is it possible to set up an invite only race I wonder - Boards.ie championship?

Is a smart turbo needed? I've got direct drive non smart to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

dahat wrote: »
    Is a smart turbo needed? I've got direct drive non smart to work with.

I dont believe it is, but you would need a PM to send power data to zwift. Alternatively, they do support 'dumb' trainers, but I am not sure if you can race with them.

https://road.cc/content/feature/256249-so-you-want-get-zwift-racing-heres-our-guide-getting-started

edit - according to this link - https://zwift.com/news/19189-zwift-how-to-ride-with-friends - it is possible to arrange meetups

Power meter I have e so I'll just bang through gears as per normal if I try one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

The Vets are postponing the start of the racing season until April 19th at the earliest: http://theivca.com/?p=2449

The Vets are postponing the start of the racing season until April 19th at the earliest: http://theivca.com/?p=2449
    Good call, protect one of our most vulnerable groups :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

I can't understand why cycling Ireland make a statement referring to future clarifications and then don't follow through. My reading of the current situation is that events (sportives and races) are cancelled but club spins are still a go. We really need some clarity at the moment especially in relation to insurance. It's a yes or no and we deserve this at a minimum.

• Advertisement

Club spins are a make up your own mind and be a grown up choice at the minute. Unsure why anyone needs guidance from CI on this. In reality, just suck it up and don't unless you are one of the few people in the country who has no contact with the immunocomprimised or elderly. If your like some of the people I work with, then I am telling you NO, apparently some people need to be told the blatently obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

CramCycle wrote: »
    Club spins are a make up your own mind and be a grown up choice at the minute. Unsure why anyone needs guidance from CI on this. In reality, just suck it up and don't unless you are one of the few people in the country who has no contact with the immunocomprimised or elderly. If your like some of the people I work with, then I am telling you NO, apparently some people need to be told the blatently obvious.

Disagree, when it comes to insurance its not an individual decision (think of your car insurance equivalent). My head is melted at home with the kids and getting out is great, yes we have to be sensible and put precautions in place but we are not been told to stay off the road. I can easily go out and have no contact with anyone and not much risk there.

I don't know why people would wait for advice from CI as to whether they should cycle or not. There has been widespread coverage on what to do and what not to do (hse.ie), as guided by CI. If you're an adult or responsible for a child you should be able to use your judgement using the large swathes of information on how to stay safe, and more importantly, keep everyone else safe.

They come out with the below today anyway.

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/cycling-news-item/cycling-ireland-statement-coronavirus-covid-19-updated/27486

People's lives come before boredom, I would never forgive myself if I acted irresponsibly, didn't follow advice and was part of a chain that killed someone. My life is no more important than anyone else's, no matter how important getting out on the bike in a group is to me.
    It's not about the individual, it's about the collective. We not I.

I'm gonna stop before I start ranting about the panic shopping!

Cionn wrote: »
    Disagree, when it comes to insurance its not an individual decision (think of your car insurance equivalent). My head is melted at home with the kids and getting out is great, yes we have to be sensible and put precautions in place but we are not been told to stay off the road. I can easily go out and have no contact with anyone and not much risk there.
    When it comes too responsibility, who gives a toss about CI and insurance. You want someone to tell you because you can't decide yourself, here it is, don't go out on group rides. Go for solo spins or just suck it up and stay in. You have been told, that what you wanted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

(insert something about people who go out on solo rides all the time being much tougher than those who do group spins)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

Don't really understand the need for each and every facet of the sport to be gone through with a fine tooth comb and an announcement made about it. For the most part, we're all adults. The current and most up to date information is available on all major health organisations websites.

Governing bodies of the sport are cancelling events left right and center. Our own health organisation are telling us to avoid mass gatherings. We have a fairly good idea of how the virus is transmitted.

That should really be sufficient information to make your own call on what you do in your day to day lives.

Snot rockets & spitting are a regular occurrence in our group spins so I'll probably be avoiding them for the near future because I have vulnerable relatives.

It really isn't that difficult a decision to make. This requirement for being spoon fed and being told what to do is such a load of nonsense.

What if I have 95 people over for brunch tomorrow? They defined mass gatherings as 100 so I should be fine right?

Common sense doesn't seem all that common after all.

Just reminded from being on the phone with my dad with mass and bingo being called off locally of my granny, those are huge social outlets for her. Group spins can be the same for some so check in on those you think might need it young or old!!!!

Social distance not isolation in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭KAGY

Cionn wrote: »
    Disagree, when it comes to insurance its not an individual decision .
    From tri ireland...
    Triathlon Ireland Race Licence holders who choose to train on their own will be covered under the usual race licence insurance cover. Please note this does not include Training Licence holders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

Don't really understand the need for each and every facet of the sport to be gone through with a fine tooth comb and an announcement made about it. For the most part, we're all adults. The current and most up to date information is available on all major health organisations websites.

Governing bodies of the sport are cancelling events left right and center. Our own health organisation are telling us to avoid mass gatherings. We have a fairly good idea of how the virus is transmitted.

That should really be sufficient information to make your own call on what you do in your day to day lives.

Snot rockets & spitting are a regular occurrence in our group spins so I'll probably be avoiding them for the near future because I have vulnerable relatives.

It really isn't that difficult a decision to make. This requirement for being spoon fed and being told what to do is such a load of nonsense.

What if I have 95 people over for brunch tomorrow? They defined mass gatherings as 100 so I should be fine right?

Common sense doesn't seem all that common after all.
    “ Common sense doesn't seem all that common after all” - exactly - that’s the problem as has been pointed out today. Lots of people do not act on the advice guidelines.

Advertisement