Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will clubs cancel racing over the next few months ?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,653 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I'm just curious as to what lads in a similar position to me are going to do the next few weeks/months?

Do we take a 2 week break then go for winter 2.0 again?
    Continue as is in the vain hope there is early light as the end?
    Or just eat, drink & merry?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

Keep getting out on the bike and if on Zwift do a few races

No Zwift for me & need a decent cash outlay to get set up, not a priority for me at the moment.

Hopefully no lockdown comes or I'll actually crack up with 5 x turbo sessions.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I would be surprised if we see any racing before July, and would equally question whether we'll see much if any domestic racing this year. All the indications seem to be this will go on for months rather than weeks, and even when they do think we are getting over it any social or sporting gatherings will continue to be discouraged for fear of it grabbing hold again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Beasty wrote: »
    I would be surprised if we see any racing before July, and would equally question whether we'll see much if any domestic racing this year. All the indications seem to be this will go on for months rather than weeks, and even when they do think we are getting over it any social or sporting gatherings will continue to be discouraged for fear of it grabbing hold again

I think you're being a bit optimistic.
    I have a son, who lives in Beijing. They are not yet back to normal. He reckons they have about 10 weeks to go. We are probably about 12 weeks behind China.
    I think it will be September, at the very earliest, before we see any sporting events in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I think you're being a bit optimistic.
    I have a son, who lives in Beijing. They are not yet back to normal. He reckons they have about 10 weeks to go. We are probably about 12 weeks behind China.
    I think it will be September, at the very earliest, before we see any sporting events in Ireland.

I'd be inclined to agree here. We could see a phased start up of events with reduced numbers if possible.
    Could we race to end of October?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

We have 4 weeks now, and I cannot see it being reduced next time - more likely another 2 months which takes us to the end of May then another 2 months after that at a conservative estimate

The only potential glimmer of hope is we may have learned something from the Chinese and Italian experiences, although it looks like both Germany and the UK are now battening down the hatches with suggestions from the UK of a 4 month minimum (for "elders" isolating). Schools back in September may become a target for some form of "normality" (whatever that may look like). Even then though there is talk of another year of extra precautions while a vaccine is worked on

dahat wrote: »
    I'd be inclined to agree here. We could see a phased start up of events with reduced numbers if possible.
    Could we race to end of October?
    How can you keep everyone happy with "reduced numbers"? Everyone will be chomping at the bit and probably the only fair way if it gets to that stage is to call off racing altogether. If there remains any suggestion of self isolating cycling in any groups will be very much frowned upon if not actually banned

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

threads merged

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I kind of don't know whether to keep training or not, I'm coming down on not for lazy reasons, and the fact that I don't think we will or should be back racing till September. Just in time for the real Ras ;)
    I think people are going to come out of this swinging.

I would absolutely lose it if we can't cycle outside - I can't train in my flat because of neighbours.

I'm also missing 8 hours of commuting minimum per week, so I've gone from a minimum of 12 hours a week to fcuk all, about 3 - it's driving me mental! I'm half thinking of doing my commute anyway in the morning out and back in the morning before I sit down to work in my kitchen (solo) :D

• Advertisement

I'm not sure about others but if I stop training or take a significant break I'll pile on weight, not good. I'll accept no racing but will try drive on using a goal system for target setting.

The commute sounds like a cracking idea especially with better weather coming very soon.

Beasty wrote: »
    How can you keep everyone happy with "reduced numbers"? Everyone will be chomping at the bit and probably the only fair way if it gets to that stage is to call off racing altogether. If there remains any suggestion of self isolating cycling in any groups will be very much frowned upon if not actually banned

50 per race on a pre entry system with certain procedures etc in place once tests start to ease off significantly.

I'm actually hopeful if Ireland not reaching doomsday figures myself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Anyone who thinks there will be racing before September, I feel you are overly optimistic, not impossible but overly optimistic. Either online or CX season for your next races.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I think social distancing is impossible in bunches, and tbh shouldn't be allowed to go ahead until all restrictions are lifted in every sector.
    I think putting the potential load onto stretched, exhausted healthcare workers is inexcusable. After what they will have been through. There will be crashes, and people from all over the country coming together which would be a recipe for a second spike unless thing have completely cleared.
    I have written off the season, although I also harbour naive hope things will be ok and the level of deaths we're expecting won't fully materialise. But I know they will, even though I hope they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭secman

Hopefully when the lockdown happens they will permit solo only cyclng, think the Swiss have done this, best we can hope for realistically.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mamax

secman wrote: »
    Hopefully when the lockdown happens they will permit solo only cyclng, think the Swiss have done this, best we can hope for realistically.

Not allowed in Italy or Spain so when the lockdown happens I'm pretty sure cycling will be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

I've dropped the focus of my training back from crit/race efforts towards TT level, if the weather takes up as forecast I've a busy week or two coming up workwise, going to go chase a few local KOM/PBs for a while, then during the summer try and get in some long audax style spins.

I don't believe we'll race this season except maybe a few TTs, CX might be the best hope for bunch racing but so much depends on how things go over the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Was really looking forward to the Vets season this year. New bike and everything! I can't see any of those races happening TBH.

Most of my 'training' is based around my commute so I'll be doing my best to replicate that - going out in the morning and doing a few local loops before coming home to work.

With Racing gone I've no goals at all. I'll keep doing solo spins when I can until we are locked down.

If we are still allowed out on bikes over the Summer then I'll probably look at doing some of the 200k Audax Routes. Or maybe do a Boards Evil Series :D

CX was a washout for me last year - will see how I'm feeling in September (and what weight I am).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

The Audax Ireland website has a library of permanent 200km routes around the country. We have most of the 32 counties covered, Clare and Donegal don't have many/any routes.

So far we will maintain the RRTY (Randonneur Round the Year) but it will be done at personal risk. Obviously if the government guidelines change we will reassess.

You can PM me for further details. Or check the website, https://www.audaxireland.org/audax/permanents/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭secman

mamax wrote: »
    Not allowed in Italy or Spain so when the lockdown happens I'm pretty sure cycling will be banned.

Belgium are permitting solo cycling in their lockdown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

I know over in Paris currently you've to carry a permit as to why you're outside. No recreational cyclists allowed out but for professionals it's considered work so they are allowed out with a permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Strobing

First year getting into racing, picked up my license in early March. (competitive A4)

If things go on for long into the winter, I wonder if Cycling Ireland will refund/let licensees carry over to next year.

Advertisement