Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Property Market 2020

Options

Comments

cnocbui wrote: »
    I think Warren Buffet and some of the other old hands who are still sitting on hundreds of billions in their expectation of a 'sane' market falling to 30% of pre-covid levels and allowing them to hoover up massive, massive bargains, have miscalculated. At least I hope so, as their greed nauseates me a bit.

Didn't they dive in when the market dipped 30%..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭wassie

Exactly. Probably not the best exemplar given Berkshire Hathaway aren't known for hoovering bargains, but rather buying great businesses at fair prices. The post shows no understanding of value investing.

And Warren Buffet would probably be one of the most humble billionaires on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

TheSheriff wrote: »
    Don't really think it tells us anything to be honest.

Its basically saying transactions will be down 40% -50% which is quite logical when the market has been effectively closed for months during what I imagine is a usually busy time of year (Jan - exemptions, summer - prime buying season). And once we are back, viewings will need to abide by social distancing norms leading to reduced numbers per viewing.

Lots of click-bait articles floating around unfortunately, very little fact based articles.

From what I understand they talk about 40%-50% transactions down over year term, on 2019 vs 2020. Which doesn't sound logical, but exaggerated, I don't think they did a proper analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,678 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

wassie wrote: »
    Exactly. Probably not the best exemplar given Berkshire Hathaway aren't known for hoovering bargains, but rather buying great businesses at fair prices. The post shows no understanding of value investing.

And Warren Buffet would probably be one of the most humble billionaires on the planet.

Yeah, right:
    "Every decade or so, dark clouds will fill the economic skies, and they will briefly rain gold. When downpours of that sort occur, it’s imperative that we rush outdoors carrying washtubs, not teaspoons. And that we will do."
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/warren-buffett-every-decade-dark-142314188.html
    As a result, Berkshire is now sitting on roughly $125 billion in cash and short-term investments that can be readily deployed as bargains emerge on the market. You can't be greedy when others are fearful, after all, if you don't have any money to invest. Buffett capitalized similarly during the financial crisis when he had about $38 billion in cash and made big, well-timed investments in Goldman Sachs and Bank of America. During September and October of 2008, he made $15 billion in investments.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/savingandinvesting/warren-buffetts-4-rules-for-investing-in-a-bear-market/ar-BB116noI

Experts, including Buffet, are very strong on the notion that you can't time the market bottoms and tops, so I have been out there with my teaspoon, along with many others, pumping the price up.

Augeo wrote: »
    Didn't they dive in when the market dipped 30%..

No, that wasn't enough for them and they are predicting another dip when the market finally realises how badly many companies will be affected and how long the recovery will take. I get the impression they were expecting to be waiting a year or more.

They are like those expecting big falls in house prices next year and are waiting for that. Very strong similarity in the two situations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

My mortgage advisor told me that none of the lenders are currently granting Loan to Income exemptions? Is that everyone else's experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

errlloyd wrote: »
    My mortgage advisor told me that none of the lenders are currently granting Loan to Income exemptions? Is that everyone else's experience?

Yeah that's what my broker told me last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Guess whos back, back again:rolleyes:

The two bed at €200k seems reasonable for the location

Interesting two properties just 10mins from each other, €100k difference between the two, one clearly has that better address.

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-sale/glasnevin/apartment-13-tolka-vale-finglas-road-glasnevin-dublin-2535573/

Current Bid - No offers

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-sale/glasnevin/apartment-22-clonmore-court-glasnevin-dublin-2286571/

Current Bid - €270k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

bulmersgal wrote: »
    Yeah that's what my broker told me last week.

Yep that's what mine told me too. I think because all of a sudden the amount of loans they are giving out in going to be greatly reduced, it means they might be already be exceeding the number of exemptions that they are permitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,367 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Plus, it would be pretty silly to give exemptions in a downward market.
    If you're giving a 4.5 LTI exemption to someone now, when next year (as many reports this morning are reading) the price may have fallen 10-20%, you're looking at possible 0 or negative equity... as well as potential affordability issues. In a market where we make it very difficult to reposess anyway. Not a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭TM2015

For sure. Got the AIP no problem but were told that to come back 6 months for an LTI exemption. High enough income, public/private sector but a need 4x salary exemption to allow us to purchase in the area we want.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

TM2015 wrote: »
    For sure. Got the AIP no problem but were told that to come back 6 months for an LTI exemption. High enough income, public/private sector but a need 4x salary exemption to allow us to purchase in the area we want.

The area you are lookingin may be less than 4X salary in a few months so hard to know if its a good thing or a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Just seen a house relisted, was up for €150k since xmas...removed mid April and relisted today after a tidy up...€175k:eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Reversal

UK prices falling as soon as the market was allowed to open.

"UK house prices fall at fastest rate since 2009"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rte.ie/amp/1144889/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,367 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Just seen a house relisted, was up for €150k since xmas...removed mid April and relisted today after a tidy up...€175k:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Listing price is pretty irrelevant
    Looking at sold prices is where its at.

How recent is the PPR?

ELM327 wrote: »
    Listing price is pretty irrelevant
    Looking at sold prices is where its at.

How recent is the PPR?

Last property was over 3 years ago for nearly half the price, adjacent estates are seen are more desirable and going for 150k - 200k...but all these house are in need of cosmetic work and potentially updating of doors/windows & heating systems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ShedTower

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

Everyone will be looking for a discount. Now they can drop €25k off it.

ShedTower wrote: »
    Everyone will be looking for a discount. Now they can drop €25k off it.

That exactly what i was thinking...offer the original list price...seller is happy and buyer thinks they got a bargain:D

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

what are the chances early 2020 becomes the 2006,2007 in terms of absolute worst time to have bought a house?...

moved from a one bed to our first house, so felt fortunate with lockdown etc...

but wonder could this be viewed in years to come as a huge blunder in timing?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭TM2015

kippy wrote: »
    The area you are lookingin may be less than 4X salary in a few months so hard to know if its a good thing or a bad thing.
    Yeah we're just sitting tight as we're not under any pressure. It's Blackrock/Booterstown and the local market appears to be dead as a dodo. Saving a huge amount of extra money because of Covid so may not even need the exemption by the time anything decent appears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

gourcuff wrote: »
    what are the chances early 2020 becomes the 2006,2007 in terms of absolute worst time to have bought a house?...

I am a complete amateur (as we all are).

But I suspect it'll never be quite as bad again. 2020 may well be the worst time to buy in this boom-bust cycle, but I don't think we will see massive, life ruinous drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

I mean - doubtful. If you look back on this thread there was a discussion on how those who bought at he height of the last boom are now not badly off if you compaired it to having rented the whole time. They're almost halfway through their mortgages, mostly on trackers, and their repayments compair really favourably to what they'd be paying in rent for the same period.

I'm talking of course about people who bought family homes during that time. If you bought a 1bed apt and then went on to have a family, then yes that would not have worked out well. But if you bought a house you never intend to leave, then a lot of people did alright in hindsight.

I really don't think 2020 will be a doomsday scenario. Its going to be a deep recession on paper but if the govt don't implement austerity it won't feel half as bad as 2008. Yes we'll be paying it back for a long time, but hopefully at negligable rates.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I am a complete amateur (as we all are).

But I suspect it'll never be quite as bad again. 2020 may well be the worst time to buy in this boom-bust cycle, but I don't think we will see massive, life ruinous drops.

There really is nothing life ruinous about it.
    If you're buying- you're buying into a lower market.
    If you're selling- you're selling into a lower market and probably buying into a lower market somewhere else.
    If you're neither selling nor buying- its a roof over your head- and the nominal value of the property is immaterial.

The bigger issue in all of this- is that lending dries up, and regardless of whether you're trying to buy, sell or simply exist on a day-to-day basis, cash is not available to do anything- and the economy gums up.

Last time round we bailed out the banks.
    This time round- the Irish banks are in a far better position than last time- however, its still probable that they will simply call a halt on lending (or at very least tailor their lending to only give loans to the most secure of possibly borrowers.

The bigger issue- is a lack of lending- prices going up and down- are normal, people not being able to borrow regardless of their circumstances, is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Not just early 2020 but throughout 2020 end and early 20201.....i posted few weeks back that actual realization of the impacts will take time to surface...no way anyone getting away with this whatever gov measures are taken....the QE being done in US and elsewhere needs to be paid by someone somewhere....time will tell who that would be...generally its taxpayers.

the QE being done in US and elsewhere needs to be paid by someone somewhere....time will tell who that would be...generally its taxpayers.

Thats just it though. An increasing number of finance gurus are suggesting that no, it doesn't need to be repaid. This plays into the Trumpian economics- which includes setting the rule books on fire.

If The Fed and others can simply print money- and inflation remains tame- the argument goes, why not keep printing money........

Obviously, at some stage- someone somewhere will have to pay the piper- but for now- they're merrily printing away, and inflation is negligible.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Don't overly concern yourself with it. The fact is that the overwhelming majority of people do not get to buy at the best time. By definition it is impossible. The best time to buy is when the overwhelming majority cannot.

Once you can afford the repayments then don't drive yourself crazy with these "what if" thoughts, get on with your life and enjoy it as much as you can.

Someone, somewhere will always get a better deal than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Thats just it though. An increasing number of finance gurus are suggesting that no, it doesn't need to be repaid. This plays into the Trumpian economics- which includes setting the rule books on fire.

If The Fed and others can simply print money- and inflation remains tame- the argument goes, why not keep printing money........

Obviously, at some stage- someone somewhere will have to pay the piper- but for now- they're merrily printing away, and inflation is negligible.

What about actual impact on GDP ?

What about actual impact on GDP ?

First off- looking at debt:GPD ratios- several EU countries are already totally ignoring the Debt:GDP ratios, despite the ominous threats from the ECB, the EU Commission and others (look at France- for example, Italy are the obvious villain and then you have the likes of Spain and Portugal (ignoring the comedian that is Greece)).

The bigger issue- is for all those who hold all this paper (China and others). The US is getting away with daylight robbery of the rest of the world- because they are the default reserve currency (the Euro is only roughly 20-22% of reserve holdings).

GDP itself is a lot resiliant than it has any right to be expected (especially in the context of the EU). Asset prices may be incredibly volatile, but in general, are more robust than fundamentals suggest they should be.

Lots of things- just aren't supported by everything that is happening, or not happening- and the unknowns in the larger global economy do not seem to be priced into investors expectations.

At the moment- the capital markets are drunk on QE. Wait until the taps are turned off, whenever that might be, then those who are weaker (be they sovereigns or whoever) will be pushed and pummeled by market forces.

At the moment- nothing is real, no-one is looking at the bigger picture, people are pushing the boat out, further and further, and because they are getting away with it, imagine that its a 'new normal', when it very probably isn't- and a day of reckoning will eventually come..........

Market cycles tend to be such a significant fraction of an average human lifespan that i think you should just get on with doing what you want, when you want/can and don't worry too much about whether you got a bargain or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭hometruths

If that's the playbook for the future anyone saving for a deposit should be buying gold rather than putting it in the bank.

Sooner or later they won't need a mortgage at all!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement