Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pistol red dot.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I was checking out the Burris one and they are perfect but i cannot find any in stock in places that ship to Ireland and plenty in those that won't including Burris themselves.

Checked EGW and they don't ship internationally, but will through another company. E-mailed them and they'll ship it but it'll cost twice as much by the time i do.

I've found similar bases and when i say similar i mean identical, but wasn't sure if they would work. I know that sounds counter intuitive, but it'd be some kick to get the sight then realise the base, which is going to take weeks to get here, doesn't fit.

This is the most common one i'm finding. I found it on Alieexpress, Sightmark, Vector optics, random internet sites, etc. I know most of those seem cheap sites, but they are all the same style, make, and dimensions. Also some sites claim it'll take Burris, Sightmark, but they specifically name Vortex Venom. have to take it that it'll work.

s-l300.jpg

The other kick in the balls part is the sight can be got in the states for $225 (€205) and the cheapest i can find it here (or somewhere that ships to here) is €279 + shipping. Still its coming out as the best to go for so just need to bite the bullet and get it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

https://www.uttings.co.uk/p124176-vortex-venom-red-dot-top-load/
    Show it at 268euro (not sure what the shipping is? I think I had it sent free to parcel motel )

This is from the UK and it was with me in about a week.
    The mount is tricky
    I’ll try to have a look over the next day or two....

Contacted them and they won't ship to Ireland.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Ah, but if you have a Parcel Motel account they will ship to NI. Free postage to NI and then about 3or 4 euro to deliver to a PM depot near you. - free to sign up with parcelmotel.com. Actually I can’t remember if it was free to NI, but it was worth it for the speed and no chance of duty or vat.

Never thought of that. I have a parcel motel account, just never used it. Nice one.

You done it this way? It worked?

• Advertisement

Yep. No problem what so ever!

Might pick your brain when it comes to ordering it, if you don't mind as i've never used parcel motel and don't want to mess it up.

No problem any time!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,953 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Been using them for months..Great service,but a PITFA if things go wrong.Customer service is virtually non existent and by chat/email only.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Ah, but if yoiu ring the NIGHTLINE phone number you get human help. They are owned by NIGHTLINE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

dc99 wrote: »
    No problem any time!

100+ parcels no issues.

Option to increase insurance for high value items.

Great way to get lower cost/ non.ie options in from uk.

Get in before Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭clivej

The very few problems I've had with Parcel Motel I have quickly sorted out with an Email or phone call

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Mississippi.

I've been using parcel Motel for a few years now, never any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Parcel Wizard is another handy service for stuff that is free delivery within UK. Free to join, they give you a virtual address to use and for 3.85 euro your package is then delivered from the North to your door by DPD.

They will text and email you the day before delivery and on the morning of delivery they let you know what time your parcel will arrive.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Quick update.

I have an Irish dealer with the Vortex Venom, 3moa, in stock. Including shipping he is about 20 to 30 quid dearer than shipping it in but its here, and if there is a problem i can go to the shop and have it dealt with face to face rather than over the phone or posting so i think i'm going to go that route.

Now the main issue the mounting base. I can get them, but regardless of where i have looked i'm looking at up to 5 weeks for shipping so its a case of just ordering it and waiting unless someone knows of anywhere that does the below mount quicker.

s-l300.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

Cass wrote: »
    Quick update.

I have an Irish dealer with the Vortex Venom, 3moa, in stock. Including shipping he is about 20 to 30 quid dearer than shipping it in but its here, and if there is a problem i can go to the shop and have it dealt with face to face rather than over the phone or posting so i think i'm going to go that route.

Now the main issue the mounting base. I can get them, but regardless of where i have looked i'm looking at up to 5 weeks for shipping so its a case of just ordering it and waiting unless someone knows of anywhere that does the below mount quicker.

s-l300.jpg

https://www.militarysurplus.eu/product-eng-34152-Mini-Shot-Sig-Sauer-P226-Pistol-Mount.html#close

https://www.ipscstore.com/en/sport-gun-accessories/6939-66-001006-sightmark-mini-shot-sig-sauer-p226-pistol-mount-sm19032.html

Have one ordered now so just a waiting game. Rang the local RFD to ask him to put a reflex by for me and i'll collect it shortly.

Will post once i have an update.

Thanks for all the responses and help so far lads.

Mount base is ordered and on route so i headed up to Cill Dara hunting to collect the red dot.

Its nice, very, very nice. Small, lightweight, but feels robust.

The kit comes with a picatinny mount, for a rifle/pistol rail, a protective hood, tools for mounting, screws for mounting and batteries.

I love the slim linie look and i'd say it'll sit nice and tight to the slide when mounted.

All in all i'm pretty happy with this and its something i've wanted for a while. I found it cheaper elsewhere, but not by enough to warrant waiting weeks for delivery and also there is nothing like the ability to go back to a shop and speak to a person.

Also Jon, from Cill Dara, highlighted the warranty information on the box. He said it's unconditional, unlimited and lifetime. Meaning if anything, and he said ANYTHING, happens it in my lifetime i just bring it back and Vortex replaces it immediately.

Will update further when the mounting plate arrive.

EDIT - As a side note Jon also told m Cill Dara hunting are now main agents for Sig Sauer and he can sort me out with other accessories i've wanted but because i was under the mistaken impression they could not be gotten i never bothered.. So good news all around.

Right. Where to start.

Ordered the mount plate, waited 3 weeks for it to arrive and the package lands. Open it up and all the other smaller items are there (figured i load up given i was way under the minimum package weight) and the only thing missing..............

....... drum roll

....... the mounting plate. FFS

ARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHH

Refund issued, new one ordered from better site/seller, and back to stalking the mailman. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I feel your pain on that one bro. Has happened a couple of times to me on both gun and car parts.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Ordered the new one at 11.33 Thursday morning. It was marked as processed at 11:45, and out for shipping at 11:57. Marked as collected by courier at 14:11, and as of Friday afternoon at 15:35 on the plane and departed country of origin.

Fingers crossed i'll have it next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

Cass wrote: »
    Ordered the new one at 11.33 Thursday morning. It was marked as processed at 11:45, and out for shipping at 11:57. Marked as collected by courier at 14:11, and as of Friday afternoon at 15:35 on the plane and departed country of origin.

Fingers crossed i'll have it next week.

Thats the worst thing about parcel tracking. I ordered an item from the US two years ago, it landed in Ireland the following night, then I got to watch it for the rest of the week sitting in a depot in Dublin before I got it.

solarwinds wrote: »
    Thats the worst thing about parcel tracking. I ordered an item from the US two years ago, it landed in Ireland the following night, then I got to watch it for the rest of the week sitting in a depot in Dublin before I got it.

God do i feel your pain :-) ordered something in the US last month. Took about 4 weeks to get to canada. Canada to ireland was 3.5 days delivered.....

The place i originally ordered from showed the package shipped and out of the country of origin within a week. Then for the next 16 days it showed as being flown to Ireland. The package then arrived at my doorstep and when i checked the tracking it showed as still being in the air. An hour later, it showed as delivered. :rolleyes:

The mistake i made was i had ordered from a company, not knowing they ordered from China and it came via a third party. I've no issue with chinese stuff as no matter who i buy from they are all made in China, its just the delivery timescale.

This time i took DC99's advice and used IPSC store. They have a live chat feature on their website so i asked where the item comes from. They told me they have it in stock in their warehouse and it ships directly from there. So i'm hoping for a faster delivery than before and as i only ordered this item it cannot go wrong, barring they send me an empty package.

Ordered Thursday morning and arrived this morning. Less than 4 working days from order to receiving. Well chuffed with that.

Huge thanks to DC99 for the suggestion and must leave an excellent review for the IPSC store. Top notch service.

I'm not the best at taking photos, but here it is mounted. I've a new lock box ordered that is bigger, wider and deeper to accommodate the sight and allow me to carry the accessories in the same box.

Now all i have to do is learn to shoot (the gun, not with the red dot. Its a help, not a miracle worker :D )

Just another update.

Had a chance to hit the range in the last few days and disaster struck.

The rear sight of the pistol has a spring under it, sitting slightly to the right of the slide as you look down along the slide from the rear. Not sure if its the correct terminology but i call it the slide retention spring as it engages the "device" it pushes against in the slide which holds the slide open when the last round is fired or the slide is racked on an empty chamber. When i mounted the new plate i put this spring back in to keep the gun functioning as it should.

I fired my first round and the mounting plate immediately lifted on the side with the spring. After making the gun safe i stripped the sight/plate down. The sight and the mounting plate held together perfectly so no problem there. The issue comes from the tiny, and i mean TINY, grub screws that hold the mounting plate to the base section that slides into the slot for the rear sight. IOW where the mounting plate and base plate are joined.

The screws holding the plate to the base are tiny. They have about three threads and they are not deeply pitched. I actually wondered about the size of them when i originally installed the plate/base but dismissed any concerns thinking the people that made this knew what they were doing.

Turns out they didn't. The screw on the right was pushed up by the spring pushing against the mounting plate. As the plate only attached to the base at one spot near the rear and the rest of the plate "overhangs" it gave the spring enough leverage to push up the plate (and sight) and stripper the threads of the screw/base. The left side/screw held perfectly.

So now i need to remove the plate with sight attached and put it to one side. Knock out the base from the rear sight slot and tap the holes to not only a slightly bigger diameter but increase the pitch height so i can use a better screw while still maintaining the 3.5mm screw depth.

Fun times. All this waiting for parts and feck ups with suppliers to finally get it together to fall apart after one round.

My only other concern now comes from the question, do i omit the slide retention spring and work the slide manually when i have it fixed and remove any chance of this happening again or do i place it back and hope the new screw will hold?

In this picture i've highlighted the screw, and the position of said screw through the mounting plate (left) into the base (right) which stripped.

In this picture i highlight where the base sits sits and in yellow how much of the mounting plate sits "overhanging" from the base.

My only other concern now comes from the question, do i omit the slide retention spring and work the slide manually when i have it fixed and remove any chance of this happening again or do i place it back and hope the new screw will hold?

Short answer ..NO.As you have the then first manually operated SIG pistol ever.:p
    Better solution would be FWIW is contact SiG/Sauer and get to speak to whoever is incharge of their custom shop and ask their opinion ,as these are genuine compatible parts for your pistol and ask them whats going wrong?

If i follow you correctly its the screw holding the mtg plate into the dovetail plate?

If this is the case (the screw with the 2 red Line’s to it?) these crews came with the plate? (Not original Sig parts?) I’d be inclined to shave down the screw to shorten them (your gonna need to realign the threads as shaving then down will damage the thread, but this should not be too difficult with a very thing file. Normally you would load a nut on the screw before shortening and the act of removing the nut realigns the threads - but the screws are so short....).
    It may be that only half a thread needs to be removed? (Don’t forget medium thread lock on assembly of EVERTHING!)
    The screw can be replaced....

• Advertisement

Ok, after much searching, prodding, poking with lights, magnifying glasses, etc. i finally figured out what happened, what went wrong and what the solution is.

Its all my fault regardless.

Most Sigs, or more specifically the 226s, have a rounded slide. So does mine. In my haste to remove the rear sight and mount the red dot i failed to notice, which i only copped about two hours ago, that while my slide is rounded it is only to a certain point.

Unlike the new P320s which come milled for a red dot mine has a combo of rounded slide and when the rear sight is removed the area the sight sat into is flat. Not as large as the new pistols and not large enough to accomodate a red not directly, but its also not just the notch for the sight to be slide into as with most 226s.

Like everything with my pistol it has to be that little bit different.

This is a normal 226.

Here is what mine looks like.

That flat area is about an inch long and the only flat bit of the entire slide which is rounded like all other Sigs. The bit you see is the base of the mounting plate.

When i inspected the mount and base i finally found that the screw holes (non threaded) in the mount plate did not make contact with the base. There was a 2.5 to 3mm gap. As the screws are only about 3.5mm it means the screws did not strip, nor did the threaded holes in the base. They simply only managed to get one thread so when i fired that single thread was not able to hold everything and the reason the right side screw went first was because of the extra pressure from the slide retention spring.

I went to the garage and tried to file and grind down the mounting plate but to no avail. I need a specialist with proper machine ability. I think i may have messed up the plate, but as it'll never fit without work/machining i saw little to lose.

So i ordered the right mount for a P226 but my yoke is not a normal P226.

I'm sure i found the right one in my searching a few months back but dismissed it because it was flat which i now know to be the right one.

I'll keep searching and have sent a message to SIG to see if they can help as advised above. In the interim i'll keep ploughing away at the current one to see if i can fix it.

Advertisement