Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor Me, Poor Me... Vulture Funds etc...

Options
  • 03-07-2019 11:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭

Rather than just rant I decided to dig deep....The figures were published so having not a lot more to do I had a look.
    Most of the mortgage holders (97%) were over 4 years in arrears and all of them were not talking (Engaging etc) with the lender. **** away the letters, Ostrich head in the sand, Hoping the state will do a mass wipeout ( Think of the children etc) when most have the money but taking a punt.
    Let the vultures at them..... **** em... Dont **** us all over.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Wtf ? wrote: »
    Rather than just rant I decided to dig deep....The figures were published so having not a lot more to do I had a look.
    Most of the mortgage holders (97%) were over 4 years in arrears and all of them were not talking turkey in anyway with the lender. **** away the letters, Ostrich head in the sand, Hoping the state will do a mass wipeout ( Think of the children etc) when most have the money but taking a punt.
    Let the vultures at them.....

And how are you with the banks being bailed out when they had no money?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Wtf ?

Hal3000 wrote: »
    Thats that argument out of the way, first post...phew. First guilty punter, watch...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

One doesn’t excuse the other.

amcalester wrote: »

True, but the tax payer wasn't able to reposess banks. We just had to bail them out.

True, but the tax payer wasn't able to reposess banks. We just had to bail them out.

We took ownership of the banks too.

• Advertisement

By we you mean the Government of Ireland. Last time I checked I don't have any ownership of any of the banks, but my taxes paid for it.

By we you mean the Government of Ireland. Last time I checked I don't have any ownership of any of the banks, but my taxes paid for it.

No, by we I mean the people of Ireland. The Government merely act on our behalf, ownership rests with the state i.e. the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Wtf ? wrote: »
    Most of the mortgage holders (97%) were over 4 years in arrears and all of them were not talking (Engaging etc) with the lender. **** away the letters, Ostrich head in the sand, Hoping the state will do a mass wipeout ( Think of the children etc) when most have the money but taking a punt.
    Let the vultures at them..... **** em... Dont **** us all over.

Do you know what a multinational vulture fund is? Do you know their business practices?

How are we supposed to regulate them for risk assessment?

Do you know how many more homeless that could create?

Doesn't matter. They were valueless.

It was vulture funds that got the mortgages and properties for less than half their actual value. Most of these vulture funds are multinational so its not us that owns them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Vulture funds shouldn't be allowed operate. The banks should be addressing their arrears in the courts, and schemes like the mortgage to let schemes should be given full state backing. The answer to mortgage arrears isn't more homelessness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

No, by we I mean the people of Ireland. The Government merely act on our behalf, ownership rests with the state i.e. the people.

But we, the people, do NOT benefit in anyway from the state owning or part owning the banks. Bankers and government ministers benefit, vulture funds benefit, developers who made millions, lost millions and had that debt written off, benefitted. We the people got fúck all.

But we, the people, do NOT benefit in anyway from the state owning or part owning the banks. Bankers and government ministers benefit, vulture funds benefit, developers who made millions, lost millions and had that debt written off, benefitted. We the people got fúck all.

I’m not arguing that it was the right thing to do, it r that it benefited the taxpayer just that the taxpayer did “repossess” the banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,278 ✭✭✭✭ted1

So no one should bother paying their mortgage?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,071 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Sheeps wrote: »
    Vulture funds shouldn't be allowed operate. The banks should be addressing their arrears in the courts, and schemes like the mortgage to let schemes should be given full state backing. The answer to mortgage arrears isn't more homelessness.

Just let people not bother paying then is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fol20

Didn’t your parents teach you two wrongs don’t make a right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

It needs to be easier for Banks to remove non payers of mortgages and sell it onto the next family who will pay.

As it is, it's a never ending battle with no chance of recovering the money so they sell it off cheaply to these funds who will spend the time and effort trying to remove non payers as it's worth their while because they got the mortgages cheaper.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Just let people not bother paying then is it?

You dont have to be personally insolvent for a vulture fund to be able to buy your mortgage. You can have been always totally up to date on every payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

You dont have to be personally insolvent for a vulture fund to be able to buy your mortgage. You can have been always totally up to date on every payment.

I can't imagine banks are selling off up to date, performing loans? Why would you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

It's downsizing or relocation. That's how simple it is.

I, like many others, saved for a deposit on a house. But I am better off pissing up against the wall and starting a new career as a social welfare claimant. I will have a free house from the council before I can afford one.

If you cannot afford the house, move.

Wheety wrote: »
    I can't imagine banks are selling off up to date, performing loans? Why would you?

Yes absolutely they can get the most money for them. Throw in a few along with some doozies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The vulture funds aren't going to demolish the houses so it won't lead to more homelessness.

The vulture funds aren't going to demolish the houses so it won't lead to more homelessness.
    They will dive up rent and property prices though. Hugely.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,545 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Anyone with deposits in the banks was saved from losing their money. Including lots of small depositors with Anglo Irish. Those advocating burning the bondholders would have burnt everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Anyone with deposits in the banks was saved from losing their money. Including lots of small depositors with Anglo Irish. Those advocating burning the bondholders would have burnt everyone.

Quite right. Not to mention the systemic necessity of actually having banks and by extension not spooking all foreign lenders and investors at once to call in all the markers at once and never come back.

It always makes me laugh the brave souls who would've cut loose the banks until you explain to them, very slowly, what would've happened to THEIR money.

Imagine your employer (provided they haven't gone instantly bust) no longer being able to pay you by bank transfer, so you queue for 4 hours while they cut everyone cheques for the last payroll run they have the liquidity to fund for a while. What to do with the cheque? Two options, try cashing it at the local bar (thought not) or drive to Dublin and get the Central Bank to honour it. Inconvenient, yes but nothing compared to the consequent hyper-inflation which reduces the value of your final wage packet by half before the month is up....

Yes Ireland got a wallop, but we entered a programme, we retained a lender of last resort and we kept the thing on the road to fight another day. Fianna Fail have lots to answer for, but Brian Lenihan was a ****in hero, he invented solutions to problems that no one had ever seen and his health and ultimately his life were the consequences.

Still unconvinced my little anti-capitalist chums? Iceland had, pro rata, the biggest financial calamity in first world history in 2008. Lets air some of the horrifying numbers and try to imagine how they wouldve affected Ireland, an Ireland that instead decided to scuttle its own financial system:

Stock exchange - down 90%

GDP - 10% contraction in 2 years (economic depression)

Inflation of 75%

Unemployment quadrupled. Those left in work saw swingeing cuts to salary and hours.

Pension fund assets - devalued by one third.

Currency freefall resulting in suspension of foreign transactions (yes Ireland had the € but imagine the contagion, € may have gone under)

Imports restricted only to humanitarian necessity (food, medicine, oil) to stop capital flight.

Monthly loans for this above purpose from other scandi countries, all insisting on open book scrutiny. Essentially Iceland was taken over externally and they had no way to avoid it. This is far far more severe than Troika programme.

Other "friendly" countries seized Icelandic foreign assets, fearing institutional criminality in their handling.

And the consequences go on.....

Never be naive about how the system effects everyone. Never doubt that a system needs vulture funds as much as it does banks, building societies, credit unions, investment funds, angel investors and peer-to-peer lenders. Why? Little thing called 'moral hazard.' Reward those who can't or won't pay their debts (the distinction is quite irrelevant) and we all pay the price in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

There is deposit guarantee scheme in theory. That would have also cost billions.

At least with the bailout they got some or all of their money back.
    The Government was substantially to blame for the whole mess with lax regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Quite right. Not to mention the systemic necessity of actually having banks and by extension not spooking all foreign lenders and investors at once to call in all the markers at once and never come back.

It always makes me laugh the brave souls who would've cut loose the banks until you explain to them, very slowly, what would've happened to THEIR money.

Imagine your employer (provided they haven't gone instantly bust) no longer being able to pay you by bank transfer, so you queue for 4 hours while they cut everyone cheques for the last payroll run they have the liquidity to fund for a while. What to do with the cheque? Two options, try cashing it at the local bar (thought not) or drive to Dublin and get the Central Bank to honour it. Inconvenient, yes but nothing compared to the consequent hyper-inflation which reduces the value of your final wage packet by half before the month is up....

Yes Ireland got a wallop, but we entered a programme, we retained a lender of last resort and we kept the thing on the road to fight another day. Fianna Fail have lots to answer for, but Brian Lenihan was a ****in hero, he invented solutions to problems that no one had ever seen and his health and ultimately his life were the consequences.

Still unconvinced my little anti-capitalist chums? Iceland had, pro rata, the biggest financial calamity in first world history in 2008. Lets air some of the horrifying numbers and try to imagine how they wouldve affected Ireland, an Ireland that instead decided to scuttle its own financial system:

Stock exchange - down 90%

GDP - 10% contraction in 2 years (economic depression)

Inflation of 75%

Unemployment quadrupled. Those left in work saw swingeing cuts to salary and hours.

Pension fund assets - devalued by one third.

Currency freefall resulting in suspension of foreign transactions (yes Ireland had the € but imagine the contagion, € may have gone under)

Imports restricted only to humanitarian necessity (food, medicine, oil) to stop capital flight.

Monthly loans for this above purpose from other scandi countries, all insisting on open book scrutiny. Essentially Iceland was taken over externally and they had no way to avoid it. This is far far more severe than Troika programme.

Other "friendly" countries seized Icelandic foreign assets, fearing institutional criminality in their handling.

And the consequences go on.....

Never be naive about how the system effects everyone. Never doubt that a system needs vulture funds as much as it does banks, building societies, credit unions, investment funds, angel investors and peer-to-peer lenders. Why? Little thing called 'moral hazard.' Reward those who can't or won't pay their debts (the distinction is quite irrelevant) and we all pay the price in the end.

Yes, yes. Very good.

But tell me… how is Iceland doing now compared to Ireland? What debts were they saddled with?

As to the vulture funds. They are the major reason house prices and especially rents, are so high… thank you veeeery much Leo Varadkar.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Well if you are a mortgage holder?, you will be happy to know you are bailing out these freeloaders too by way of higher interest rates

In those cases you have nothing to worry about, pay your mortgage as before and you're sweet

It's usually the case where someone has their up to date mortgage bought by a vulture fund, that they have a second mortgage on another property which is in arrears long term, perhaps on a BTL

The good and the bad get bundled

mad muffin wrote: »
    Yes, yes. Very good.

But tell me… how is Iceland doing now compared to Ireland? What debts were they saddled with?

As to the vulture funds. They are the major reason house prices and especially rents, are so high… thank you veeeery much Leo Varadkar.

Iceland is not doing anywhere near as well as us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

How many of the loans in these funds have been 'non-performing' for years? If you don't pay back your mortgage, your house is at risk. It feels like there's such a reluctance from banks to repossess houses because of bad publicity, that it's been allowed to fester for far, far too long. Talk of people not paying anything of their mortgages for four and five years and then crying the poor mouth when the bailiffs come.

Advertisement