Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor Me, Poor Me... Vulture Funds etc...

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

riclad wrote: »
    A vulture fund is a company that invests in property,
    some new buildings would not exist unless we had companys

A vulture fund is not a company.

Its nothing like a company.

Avulture fund is a debting fund is hedge fund a private equity fund etc.

Must like the hedge funds that caused the actual crisis. Their goal is to buy undervalued property and to try and cause over valuing.

They things like international pension funds or equity funds.

All of these funds are managed by companies distinct from themselves. But they are not companies themselves.

They don't produce anything. They don't preform services. They don't even generally provide much liquidity like normal investors.

Its treating the property market like the stock market. This generally doesn't go well.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭PistolsAtDawn

amcalester wrote: »
    The EU hands us back to the Brits.

I got to throw on and go on
    You know I gots to flow on
    Selectors on the radio play us
    'Cause we're friendly for ozone
    But that's not all so hold on tight
    As I rock the mic right
    Oh, excuse me, pardon
    As I synchronise with the analysed
    Upcomin' vibes, the session
    Let there be a lesson, question
    You carry protection
    Or will your heart go on
    Like Celine Dion
    Karma Chameleon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

https://m.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/government-helping-vulture-funds-push-citizens-out-of-homes-un-37955106.html

Regardless of people taking the piss with mortgage arrears, I certainly don't think our Government are on the side of the people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Wtf ?

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    https://m.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/government-helping-vulture-funds-push-citizens-out-of-homes-un-37955106.html

Regardless of people taking the piss with mortgage arrears, I certainly don't think our Government are on the side of the people.
    Why should they ? People who are taking the piss dont deserve any help. They are hoping the government will do something and they will be quids in along with the genunine cases

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Lovely, another us vs them thread. Good aul Leo, keep us fighting with each other and not with the completely inept government....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Wtf ?

Who is us and who is them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

we managed to pay our mortgage through two recessions.
    theres no sympathy here for those thst cant/wont.
    no sympathy for thr banks, govt, vulture funders etc.
    either pay what you owe or do without.

this country learned nothing from the last recession. the great and good are all sailing around in their pcp financed compact suvs and their newish audis/beemers. we are heading for a fall and the sooner people realise it the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

Its going to be very hard to sort out this whole property mess and everyone will be happy.

There's working people who haven't paid their mortgage in a long time, they still go on holidays, still buy new clothes and have their comforts.

They're accustomed to this lifestyle now, so they think they're untouchable and keep kicking the can down the road.

And the establishment kicks it back, and forth.

I understand the variables etc, but the banks shouldn't have been stupid giving out mortgages to people without a secure job.

The public sector, the factories such as the production of smoke alarms and health safety equipment are secure, the likes of pest control, mechanics which are well established are secure, farming and other essential jobs are secure.
    Health and safety tutor's, and similar jobs are secure because health and safety needs to be adhered to...
    Along with a few more essential jobs, the binman would be secure enough too...

What's left can be on shaky ground.

The amount of IT and tele center places which keep on collapsing and changing over is unreal totally unsecure jobs,

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

we managed to pay our mortgage through two recessions.
    theres no sympathy here for those thst cant/wont.
    no sympathy for thr banks, govt, vulture funders etc.
    either pay what you owe or do without.

this country learned nothing from the last recession. the great and good are all sailing around in their pcp financed compact suvs and their newish audis/beemers. we are heading for a fall and the sooner people realise it the better.

Exactly all that glitters isn't gold.

Sit back and watch them weep and realise that you made all the right decisions.

At least we own our cars unlike those who live ostentatious lifestyles only to have to hand it all back....
    And crack under the pressure....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Hedgelayer wrote: »
    Its going to be very hard to sort out this whole property mess and everyone will be happy.

There's working people who haven't paid their mortgage in a long time, they still go on holidays, still buy new clothes and have their comforts.

They're accustomed to this lifestyle now, so they think they're untouchable and keep kicking the can down the road.

And the establishment kicks it back, and forth.

I understand the variables etc, but the banks shouldn't have been stupid giving out mortgages to people without a secure job.

The public sector, the factories such as the production of smoke alarms and health safety equipment are secure, the likes of pest control, mechanics which are well established are secure, farming and other essential jobs are secure.
    Health and safety tutor's, and similar jobs are secure because health and safety needs to be adhered to...
    Along with a few more essential jobs, the binman would be secure enough too...

What's left can be on shaky ground.

The amount of IT and tele center places which keep on collapsing and changing over is unreal totally unsecure jobs,

Don't think any job is total secure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

But we, the people, do NOT benefit in anyway from the state owning or part owning the banks. Bankers and government ministers benefit, vulture funds benefit, developers who made millions, lost millions and had that debt written off, benefitted. We the people got fúck all.

simply, because we let them all royally screw us over, i said it at the time and it's still going on to this day, when will we ever learn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMBfc6uBoTk

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Maybe it would be a good idea to create a more democratic method of money creation rather than our current, more plutocratic method? Maybe allowing banks to create the majority of our money, via credit creation, isn't such a good idea?

Wheety wrote: »
    I can't imagine banks are selling off up to date, performing loans? Why would you?

there's a word for repackaging loans and mortgages together to sell on or raise capital

MBS mortgage backed securities

A mortgage-backed security (MBS) is a type of asset-backed security that is secured by a mortgage or collection of mortgages. The mortgages are sold to a group of individuals (a government agency or investment bank) that securitizes, or packages, the loans together into a security that investors can buy. The mortgages of an MBS may be residential or commercial, depending on whether it is an Agency MBS or a Non-Agency MBS; in the United States they may be issued by structures set up by government-sponsored enterprises like Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac, or they can be "private-label", issued by structures set up by investment banks.
    Wikipedia

They will dive up rent and property prices though. Hugely.

they've driven up rent and property prices though, hugely

Anyone with deposits in the banks was saved from losing their money. Including lots of small depositors with Anglo Irish. Those advocating burning the bondholders would have burnt everyone.

bullsh1t, unsecured bondholders should have been burnt, end of story

the government turned on the trusty postbank, shut it down straight away to help the banks, and just recently the credit union is forced to limit people's savings because its performing too well

Wtf ? wrote: »
    Why should they ? People who are taking the piss dont deserve any help.

like these cretins?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKoezZdzjfw

the banks aren't stupid tho, they know they're too big to fail, remember the time we were all told that Brian Cowen, leader of the funking country as its sailing down the swanny went and played a full round of golf with the bankers and none of them discussed banking business

https://www.thejournal.ie/brian-cowen-banking-inquiry-5-2204482-Jul2015/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Private banking should be abolished entirely and the monetary system run by a public, non-profit body which aims to break even and nothing more. The fact that we entrust a part of our society which is so central to its operation to entirely private companies whose motivations are often completely at odds with the greater good, in a way which we don't do with other fundamental sectors, is utterly bizarre.

As far as I'm concerned, usury itself is the cause of a lot of our economic issues. Replace that system with a non-profit one and a lot of problems (not all, but a lot) would become irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Exactly all that glitters isn't gold.

Sit back and watch them weep and realise that you made all the right decisions.

At least we own our cars unlike those who live ostentatious lifestyles only to have to hand it all back....
    And crack under the pressure....

Good for you. Glad your magic beans are growing well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

pure.conya wrote: »
    bullsh1t, unsecured bondholders should have been burnt, end of story

the government turned on the trusty postbank, shut it down straight away to help the banks, and just recently the credit union is forced to limit people's savings because its performing too well
    Not burning bondholders was an ECB call. It's actually becoming too expensive for them to pay the interest as not enough are borrowing.

Advertisement