Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghostbusters Afterlife (Jason Reitman)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

pixelburp wrote: »
    Ghostbusters suffers from its international reach given it's about, ya know, Ghosts & China has its infamous ban on any movies featuring spookies from beyond the grave.

Was that a reference to mine and p's post?
    Cause we're talking about bond :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Was that a reference to mine and p's post?
    Cause we're talking about bond :pac:

I know you were but just in mentioning China it reminded that this Ghostbusters' reach will be lessened by the Chinese ban. So I can see why they've put the release back so far, compared to other tentative postponements. The potential market being smaller than other blockbusters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Pity its been delayed. Would be great if the extra year allowed them to shoot a cameo for Rick Moranis who's since come out of retirement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Rick Moranis who's since come out of retirement

Ya what???? :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

py2006 wrote: »
    Ya what???? :eek:

Yup; tempted out of retirement for a Honey I Shrunk the Kids sequel; supposedly he'll play a reclusive version of his original character, shut off for Dramatic Tragic Reasons (but that's the rumour anyway)

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-51487170
    Josh Gad will star as Wayne's son, who as an adult is now an aspiring scientist like is father. Joe Johnston, who directed the 1989 original, will also direct the sequel, which is being produced by Disney.

• Advertisement

It may be a hint as to how bad this new GB will be if he wasn't tempted by it.

Ah now let's not get on the hate train a year out like. Any number of reasons Moranis isn't involved, not least the possibility nobody in the production thought to ask him.

Not sure if anyone here as being following Josh Gad's Reunited Apart videos. If not, check them out.

Teaser below for tomorrows episode which should have more info on the new GB:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,870 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Need to watch some of those. No Moranis.

• Advertisement

Not really related but it makes me real angry.

Rick Moranis was savagely attacked in NY.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

News bit about the Moranis attack, such a cowardly act

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

biko wrote: »
    News bit about the Moranis attack, such a cowardly act

"random" :rolleyes:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Subscribers Posts: 41,189 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

silverharp wrote: »
    "random" :rolleyes:

why wouldnt it be considered random???

do you know something about the attack which hasnt been reported?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

sydthebeat wrote: »
    why wouldnt it be considered random???

do you know something about the attack which hasnt been reported?

it seems to be a sport by some black males mostly against white or orthodox Jews in NY, so in that sense its not random, a hate crime is a more accurate description

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

New release date June 11th 2021

Ghostbusters: Afterlife: Jason Reitman Says His Father Cried And Was ‘So Proud’ After Watching New Sequel

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/ghostbusters-afterlife-jason-reitman-father-cried-proud-new-sequel-exclusive/

peteeeed wrote: »
    New release date June 11th 2021

Not anymore, this has been moved to November 11.

I can't recall if it was ever properly confirmed, but in a recent interview with Bill Murray, he revealed some details about his part in the shoot of this. No idea how trustworthy his perspective is here (thinking of the likes of James Cameron being effusive over Terminator: Genisys; or indeed Murray's previous CV :D )

https://collider.com/bill-murray-interview-ghostbusters-groundhog-day-wes-anderson/
    I think he’s really got something. It was hard. It was really hard. That’s why I think it’s gonna be good. We were just in it for a little while, but it was physically painful. Wearing those packs is extremely uncomfortable. We had batteries the size of batteries. They now have batteries the size of earrings. It’s still a really heavy thing to wear, all the time. The special effects in this one are a lot of wind and dirt in your face, and there was a lot of going down and getting back up. I was like, “What is this? What am I doing? These are like Bulgarian deadlifts, or a Russian kettlebell, getting up and down with this thing on my back.” It was very uncomfortable. Usually, when something has a very high misery quotient, something comes of that and some quality is produced that, if you can capture it and project it, comes on the screen and affects you. I think it comes out sometime in the fall. They’ve delayed it for a year or a year and a half, but I’m glad they did. It will be worth seeing.

• Advertisement

The real supernatural mystery is how Paul Rudd manages to age so well.

That wee clip was already more entertaining and on-point than the entirety of the 2016 ad-lib disaster.

pixelburp wrote: »
    The real supernatural mystery is how Paul Rudd manages to age so well.

That wee clip was already more entertaining and on-point than the entirety of the 2016 ad-lib disaster.

agreed, what ive seen so far, its hitting the right notes

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭El Duda

ponting.png

I really hope this is a 'Stay-Puft- tie in commercial masquerading as a clip from the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Getting Krampus vibes off that tbh.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

El Duda wrote: »
    ponting.png

I really hope this is a 'Stay-Puft- tie in commercial masquerading as a clip from the film.

Yeah, not really seeing what's so great about that. "Hey, we knocked off the gingerbread men bit from Krampus only with tiny Staypuft Marshmallow Men!"

Then again, I'm one of those terrible people who thought the new movie was grand (as in, bang-on 6/10 film-making, but about as much use as any franchise-threequel-decades-later vehicle is going to be, moaning about wimminz in mah fandom notwithstanding).

Fysh wrote: »
    Yeah, not really seeing what's so great about that. "Hey, we knocked off the gingerbread men bit from Krampus only with tiny Staypuft Marshmallow Men!"

Then again, I'm one of those terrible people who thought the new movie was grand (as in, bang-on 6/10 film-making, but about as much use as any franchise-threequel-decades-later vehicle is going to be, moaning about wimminz in mah fandom notwithstanding).

It's a cute little scene that gave off a slightly more faithful vibe - but that's also taking into account the vibe from the released trailer. So far it has all felt a little more faithful, in a good way. But many a slip between cup and lip etc.

I don't think the 2016 film is remotely as bad as the outsized reaction towards it - and ye gods the reaction was an embarrassment to pop-culture itself - but 6/10 was still generous. Paul Feig took a big swing on allowing his cast to ad-lib the comedy, and it fell almost universally flat. There wasn't a consistent tone across the whole feature, with it sometimes swinging into full-on farce.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Either I haven't watched the released trailer or it hasn't registered at all with me, but that clip to me looks like a fairly uninspired "What if <something clever from another film, but sanitised and with our IP grafted onto it>?" clip. Which, if it's an ad - fair enough. If it's supposed to make me care about the film, it does the exact opposite.

(Agree to disagree on the previous film - some of the improv was a bit loose but to me that's just improv in films, and the same complaint can and should be directed at most films Will Ferrell has been in, amongst others.)

Fysh wrote: »

(Agree to disagree on the previous film - some of the improv was a bit loose but to me that's just improv in films, and the same complaint can and should be directed at most films Will Ferrell has been in, amongst others.)

Those are Will Farrell vehicles though, designed around that style, as opposed to a franchise with films, comics, games, and cartoons

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭ThePott

I honestly thought the clip was cross-promotion first or advertising some tie-in marshmallows. Not sure how I feel about it, not enough to judge the film on but not enough to sell me on it either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,198 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The clip’s pretty ****e, to be honest, and hopefully not representative of the general quality of the final film.

But then Ghostbusters has been a pretty weak series since the first sequel (inclusive), so optimism is low. I’m someone who believes the 2016 film is ‘fine’ rather than a war crime, but the franchise had been used and abused many times before that. One funny, entertaining film followed by a lot of noise, children’s cartoons and merchandising. Expectations for this are set accordingly.

Advertisement