Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghostbusters Afterlife (Jason Reitman)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

What the hell was that? This is going to be a very different GB movie, that’s for sure. It doesn’t look exciting.

Look at the trailers for the first 2 movies

And....

They’re exciting and look fun.

Also add my name to that hat for “I like Ghostbusters 2” club.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,362 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

El Duda wrote: »
    Imagine how much more exciting this would be if 2016 didn't happen.

Hadn't a clue what you were on about and thought you meant 2016 politics. Says a lot about the previous film, I suppose.

I liked this trailer, good tone and small town vibe. Enough of a teaser for winter buzz in advance of a summer release. Please let that corn field (maize? Hello to A Quiet Place and everything else) chase be real and not bloody CGI, though. Good that they held back a little on the tune too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,964 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It shows enough to tell people how it's coming back. It seems to be stuff from the first half of the film. I don't think I'll watch the next trailer as I plan on seeing the film and that's the one that'll show more.

I'm assuming in that trailer
    That was Slimer in the trap since we see him being chased.

Personally out of the Stranger Things kids, Finn is probably the one I find most annoying. But he's the one doing the best it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭fluke

That trailer looks fine and ticks all the reverential boxes to win back some folk, especially after Answer the Call seemed to essentially dismiss the existence of 1 and 2. As for it not being reminiscent of the originals, 2 tried to replicate 1, with mixed results. If they wanna try something else why not. There’s a market there, at least AtC showed what doesn’t work.

I’m sure it won’t decanonise 2. In fact I reckon it’ll bend over backwards to acknowledge both the 80s films, and maybe even the original cartoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Seems like a solid trailer; but also looks like this Ghostbusters is no longer in the comedy genre.*

*Insert Ghostbuster 2016 joke here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Looks like a great trailer only thing I'm slightly cautious is that it looks a bit like a teenage focused film.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I teared up seeing the Spengler uniform.

**** you all, I can't wait for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Part of me is worried that this is actually a comedy. A decent comedy trailer is hard, while pulling the ol' nostalgia strings is piss easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The trailer kicked my interest for the movie into overdrive and left me wanting more, all without giving the entire movie away which is what a good trailer is supposed to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,742 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

That trailer didn't really interest me, if I don't see Ray,Peter and Winston wielding proton packs I'll be incredibly disappointed

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Gintonious wrote: »
    I teared up seeing the Spengler uniform.

**** you all, I can't wait for this one.

Ah here. Don’t believe that for a second.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Someone elsewhere noticed a pretty awesome deep cut within that trailer: a pan across a table in the discovered basement revealed an assortment of "spores, molds and fungus"

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭ThePott

faceman wrote: »
    Look at the trailers for the first 2 movies
    TBF that first trailer is well after it's initial release. The original trailer for Ghostbusters is drier that you'd expect as far as comedy and isn't a particularly great trailer. Also add me to the group that like Ghostbusters 2.

As for this trailer, it's totally fine. It basically confirms my suspicions. This is less of a Ghostbusters sequel than people expect. I think anyone expecting Bill Murray in a proton pack fighting ghosts will be disappointed. Maybe, I'm wrong but I think this is really more of a Jason Reitman movie than a Ghostbusters movie. Had this been any other trailer, I'd have little interest in it but having the name attached has my attention if not interest. Although I do like the allusions to the original and it seems at least faithful to the original in some aspects. Works as a teaser but doesn't especially feel like a Ghostbusters movie, Tremors is an appropriate comparison and was what popped in my head. I also agree that it looks like Sony are not putting much money into this after getting their fingers burned in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

I also like Ghostbusters II. It's more of the same and that's totally fine with me.

Another GB2 fan here. I was obsessed with it as a kid.

Trailer for the new movie is fine by me. Didn’t excite me massively, but it looks fine. Probably could have done without Finn Wolfhard in it, having just watched the two It movies recently. But that’s probably just me.

Assume they’re saving Murray/Ackroyd/Hudson reveals for the next trailer - or will the filmmakers even include them in the marketing?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,874 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

pixelburp wrote: »
    I dunno, I have a sneaking suspicion that there is a constraint of budget here that'll force a focus on character-action: like, the 2016 film had a $150 million budget!! That's an insane number & controversy aside, the film was always destined to struggle with that kind of budget to claw back.

Looking at this trailer, it seems to have an emphasis on physical props and its cast, with some pretty standard "Smalltown" location work. There are no big SNL stars to pay for - bar Paul Rudd and maybe those cameos from the original cast - so if I had to take a stab, I'd say the budget here is more around the $50 million mark. So just from that point of view, this won't need to set the world alight to be a success. And has been shown time & time again, nothing concentrates creativity like the enforced restrictions of time & money.

I'm actually quietly confident here, and maybe it's just cos I remain a sucker for Small Town (Supernatural) Mysteries, but so far nothing I've read or seen has suggested this is a turkey in waiting.

a smaller budget would be a positive for sure, would help relying on bloated effects

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 17,874 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A short overview of the history of the original movies, how they came about, amazed it ever made it out the gate

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I’m cautiously curious . I like Paul Rudd and think this could be a fun, proper sequel with a bunch of nostalgia. Low expectations but I just want to have a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,226 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Just watched the trailer there now, have to say I didn't think after the 2016 film that anything remotely Ghostbusters related would pique my interest again but lo & behold, I like the look of this a lot.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Looking forward to this. Perfect teaser trailer.

Glad its taking the story out of the city and into Smalltown USA. I am liking the Stranger Things/Goonies/Super 8 vibes from it.

From reading interviews with Jason Reitman he said that he always had the story of a 12 year old girl with strong links to the original characters created, it then evolved into a family. He thought that he would never get the chance to make a Ghostbusters film and use the story (obviously after the 2016 s*itshow).

From reading some of the comments on Facebook from what look like super fans the town its set in has big links to the original story too. I would think the appearance of the original cast will be little more than cameos? Hopefully they have a big part to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I enjoyed it. Didn't give too much away and built up the nostalgia nicely.

My only gripe is that I think the focusing on kids, in small towns, is a bit overdone currently. Same can be said for Finn Wolfhard, the original was a hit with kids despite having adults in the role, so they may have been room for something similar. Teens/College kids may even have sufficed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭El Duda

I think Finn Wolfhard would be able to play Earthworm Jim without the need for any prosthetics or CGI.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Well that was totally underwhelming and out of character with all the other Ghostbusters films. Say what you want about the "reboot", tonally it was much more inline with the first film. I actually really enjoyed the reboot but because of mouth-breathing, mom's-basement-dwelling woman-fearing losers, we have this teen Stranger Ghostbuster Things......

The reboot was like one of those god awful SNL parodies, it didn't match the tone of the originals at all, it was just an appallingly bad movie all round.

The reboot was like one of those god awful SNL parodies, it didn't match the tone of the originals at all, it was just an appallingly bad movie all round.

Maybe that’s why this trailer is a more serious and less focus on comedy. To try win back the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

peteeeed wrote: »

Was expecting that.... ah well something to look forward to once the world gets back to normal and everything has settled down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's a pity: I won't deny I was vaguely looking forward to this. Said it here or elsewhere, I am huge sucker for any "Small Town Kids Solve (optionally supernatural) Mysteries", and general storytelling set within that rural, almost mythical Americana.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭p to the e

It's crazy that the Broccolis got out before all this kicked off. I remember thinking it was a bit of overkill when they pushed Bond out a few months.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

p to the e wrote: »
    It's crazy that the Broccolis got out before all this kicked off. I remember thinking it was a bit of overkill when they pushed Bond out a few months.
    I guess they saw the writing on the wall.

*shakes fist at Sam Smyth*

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

p to the e wrote: »

Only my two cents but on one hand releasing the movie worldwide but not in China would be a bad move (this being based on information at the time the movie announced its push back)
    so the choice could have been based off that and just so turned out they were right.

On the other hand the Broccolis are extremely wealthy people and the bond franchise is big business. Is it really far fetched to say they know someone, even indirectly / through the grapevine from government or certain organisation who was like "yeah, you guys would be mental to release a bond in April. Even in the states. We're looking at total lockdown by then short of a miracle"

• Advertisement

Ghostbusters suffers from its international reach given it's about, ya know, Ghosts & China has its infamous ban on any movies featuring spookies from beyond the grave.

Advertisement