Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pakistan.

Options
  • 04-11-2018 9:41am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

The case of that unfortunate woman accused of "blasphemy" has shone a light on this basket case of a country. Muslim hardliners marching and calling for her to be killed, her layer has had to flee the country and the government has refused to let her do so as well in line with the hardliners demands. This is a place where its not unusual for atheists, Christians and members of minority Muslim sects to be lynched by baying mobs. Where women who've been raped can be sentenced to be whipped for "adultery". That gave Bin Laden refuge etc etc. Oh and this failed state also has the nuclear bomb.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It might be an idea to look up what the definition of a Failed State is before starting the thread. Love them or loathe them, Pakistan is not a failed state.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

It might be an idea to look up what the definition of a Failed State is before starting the thread. Love them or loathe them, Pakistan is not a failed state.

I'm already aware of what defines a failed state, thank you, and Pakistan ticks a lot of boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It's as close to a failed state as you can get. There are large province's that are ungoverned and the military play by their own rules. The place has been on the brink for long time. The tribal areas are ruled by the Islamists. Down south is ruled by bandits.

It's pretty much just a more aesthetically pleasing Afghanistan.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

They are just misunderstood...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Even the fact that the court has found her innocent they still want her to be hanged to enforce the power of the clerics and their religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

A country where a police are complicit in lynchings of children, where you can be lynched for being of a different religion, or for speaking out against something you don't believe in.....no ... sorry....that's a country that is broken and cannot be fixed

Back in the 1980s the great Breandán Ó hEithir wrote a hilarious (and huge selling) book called The Begrudger's Guide to Irish Politics. In it he introduced my teenage self to a brilliant word: troglodyte.

Pakistan, Afghanistan and Saudi Arabia are the premier nations on our planet of supreme troglodytes. They are, quite simply, off the charts. The ruling by that village council in Pakistan about 15 years ago that a woman had to be gang raped by the male villagers for a crime her brother allegedly committed sums up so much about how ineffably backward they are. Even the most nether region of Europe in the Middle Ages would genuinely struggle to be as utterly backward as Pakistan is in 2018.

100 women 2014: raped for punishment in Pakistan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

old_aussie wrote: »
    Even the fact that the court has found her innocent they still want her to be hanged to enforce the power of the clerics and their religion.

Their peaceful religion right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

It's their culture.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Failed state? Not sure.

Utter basket case? Absolutely.

A prime example for why it's a bad idea ever letting religion near government and legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Pakistani journalists take no sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

It depends on where you're talking about in Pakistan. The regions that voted for Muttahida Majlis-e-Amal in the general election are some of the most dangerous, backward places in the world. MMA came 4th in the election so that's something.

What's alarming is that Afghanistan looks like it is starting to collapse, and that's probably going to have some impact on Pakistan. In particular, the most radical regions of Pakistan border Afghanistan (it's not coincidental).

The assassinations of the government ministers Taseer and Bhatti in 2011 for backing Asia Bibi's release (on the blasphemy case) is disquieting, as are the protests calling for her to be executed.

30581d44-dcc7-11e8-bb7b-3484094c71b9_1280x720_203617.jpg

It's not a failed state, but it's sitting on a powder keg.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

In parts of India they kill their parents when they become a burden.
    Feeding them to the Tigers is a current favorite.

They obviously have a different way of viewing the things in that part of the world.

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4664334/amp/Elderly-relatives-sent-tiger-reserves-KILLED.html&ved=2ahUKEwimjsvTuLreAhVqLsAKHU7aAqcQFjACegQICRAB&usg=AOvVaw09TqNDLZl4Dcinztz7F5NW&ampcf=1&cshid=1541324445502

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

kneemos wrote: »
    In parts of India they kill their parents when they become a burden.
    Feeding them to the Tigers is a current favorite.

They obviously have a different way of viewing the things in that part of the world.

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4664334/amp/Elderly-relatives-sent-tiger-reserves-KILLED.html&ved=2ahUKEwimjsvTuLreAhVqLsAKHU7aAqcQFjACegQICRAB&usg=AOvVaw09TqNDLZl4Dcinztz7F5NW&ampcf=1&cshid=1541324445502

The way the healthcare system is going here, I could see the tiger sanctuary option becoming popular over here as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

The way the healthcare system is going here, I could see the tiger sanctuary option becoming popular over here as well.

Nah, be really awkward to organise and import the tigers.

Pig farm would be an idea though, would also lessen the amount of soy meal we need to import for them, keep the greenies happy as well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

That's why I don't give a fuuuuck when I hear about incidents in that part of the world.

How could I care about anyone who has such a disregard for human life?

Pac1Man wrote: »
    That's why I don't give a fuuuuck when I hear about incidents in that part of the world.

How could I care about anyone who has such a disregard for human life?

What, the woman jailed for blasphemy has disregard for human life? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Beautiful country too, great mountains. Kashmir worth a visit

• Registered Users Posts: 19,845 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Not having rule of law qualifies as failure in my book. They have mob rule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭malinheader

Shines a true light on the beliefs of this religion. How anyone thinks that people of this belief can integrate into western culture is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭emo72

What's going on in that twitter video? Are they just randomly attacking cars on a motorway?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Any country where the national airline slaughters a goat to ward off bad luck is a-ok in my book.

Shines a true light on the beliefs of this religion. How anyone thinks that people of this belief can integrate into western culture is beyond me.

It shines a light on the current culture of one country.
    That says little enough about how Kaveh Billal from Iran is integrating into German society when he's attending his daughter's civil union ceremony where she's getting married to her long-term girlfriend (he's a friend of my mother's).

Absolute animals
    Amazingly you would be called all sorts of things if you stated something sensible like we should have discriminatory migration from these kinds of countries. Like how dare we be picky.

Positive discrimination, non islamic migrants only thank you very much. Anything else is political correctness gone mad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

RasTa wrote: »
    Beautiful country too, great mountains. Kashmir worth a visit

Kashmir is in India.

Kashmir is in India.

In India, Pakistan and China.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kashmir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Kashmir is in India.

It's disputed by both

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭vg88

I was on a metro in Hong Kong this year and was standing beside a pakistani lad.

I was overlooking his phone (nosey bolix i know), his mate texted him that there was a bombing in his local village. First reaction was shock and then second text was to blame the West and CIA for this bombing and cause a breakdown in pakistan.

Meet another pakistani lad later on (great guy), who left cause it's a **** hole. He told me their entire media is blame America for EVERYTHING. Also Allah is best and can never say a bad word about Allah.

Parts of the country are meant to be beautiful and I have meet lovely pakistani people. They need to spend more money on education rather than nuclear weapons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

A truly, truly great bunch of lads.

There's no cure for what they have.

If Pakistan fails the definition of a failed state, the definition needs to be changed.

Advertisement