Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pakistan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,084 ✭✭✭malinheader

Shenshen wrote: »
    It shines a light on the current culture of one country.
    That says little enough about how Kaveh Billal from Iran is integrating into German society when he's attending his daughter's civil union ceremony where she's getting married to her long-term girlfriend (he's a friend of my mother's).

Great to see.I have no problem with people like these. It's the ones who think you should be stoned in public or worse I have a problem with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Shenshen wrote: »
    In India, Pakistan and China.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kashmir

Do you think there's people in Pakistan arguing this morning about our border ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,172 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Great to see.I have no problem with people like these. It's the ones who think you should be stoned in public or worse I have a problem with.

Even in Pakistan these people aren’t the majority but there is a lot of people who have incredibly backward beliefs. It’s not a country I would ever want to visit on my own. I worked with a few Pakistanis when I was in college and they were the soundest lads. 2 of them are still my friends now. They are my age and would have similar views to me on most social issues although they do have a somewhat immature attitude towards homosexuality.

They’d tell you straight out that Pakistan is a basket case and they have no intention of returning there full time. They’re building lives for themselves here now. One of them started a level 6 course a few years ago and has worked his way up and is now in third year of a level 8 IT degree. He’s paying for it all himself full fees by working 7 nights a week as a taxi driver. I have no idea how he does it. Serious smarts and work ethic. That’s why it always pisses me off when I hear people bashing Muslim immigrants. Most of them are normal people just like us who want the same things we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Kip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Have a couple of Pakistan mates. Very well measured, ambitious and grounded people. Hard to believe this is the same country they come from.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Same here. But I refuse to mentally bundle them all into one group.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Have a couple of Pakistan mates. Very well measured, ambitious and grounded people. Hard to believe this is the same country they come from.
    Not so much CC, they were measured, ambitious and grounded enough to leave the kip.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,662 ✭✭✭corks finest

It's as close to a failed state as you can get. There are large province's that are ungoverned and the military play by their own rules. The place has been on the brink for long time. The tribal areas are ruled by the Islamists. Down south is ruled by bandits.

It's pretty much just a more aesthetically pleasing Afghanistan.
    Cavemen

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

MadYaker wrote: »
    Even in Pakistan these people aren’t the majority but there is a lot of people who have incredibly backward beliefs. It’s not a country I would ever want to visit on my own. I worked with a few Pakistanis when I was in college and they were the soundest lads. 2 of them are still my friends now. They are my age and would have similar views to me on most social issues although they do have a somewhat immature attitude towards homosexuality.

They’d tell you straight out that Pakistan is a basket case and they have no intention of returning there full time. They’re building lives for themselves here now. One of them started a level 6 course a few years ago and has worked his way up and is now in third year of a level 8 IT degree. He’s paying for it all himself full fees by working 7 nights a week as a taxi driver. I have no idea how he does it. Serious smarts and work ethic. That’s why it always pisses me off when I hear people bashing Muslim immigrants. Most of them are normal people just like us who want the same things we do.

And most of them are doing just what we would be doing if we found ourselves in a country so heavily influenced by religious nutjobs - they're running away from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Kashmir is in India.

It's a big place. Go visit. When I was there the Indian army major driving around with someone who threw rocks at his vehicles as a deterrent. Most Indians I talked to seen no problem with this. Don't think anything happened to him either. Imagine the Israelis doing that

_70f7490c-3efc-11e7-a718-97a052f84fc6.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭Odhinn

RasTa wrote: »
    It's a big place. Go visit. When I was there the Indian army major driving around with someone who threw rocks at his vehicles as a deterrent. Most Indians I talked to seen no problem with this. Don't think anything happened to him either. Imagine the Israelis doing that

They did - as offical policy - for decades.
    https://www.btselem.org/topic/human_shields

Still happens now, but is theoretically illegal.

RasTa wrote: »

Occasionally people, usually with sympathies for indepenence or union with pakistan, "dissapear". After a while they're found, dead, riddled with bullets, after a "shoot out" with the army/police. Yet where they are found is often strangely free of bullet holes, spent cartidges and the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

As the Donald would say it's a ****hole. There's a reason why most of the grooming gangs in the UK are from Pakistan, it's a basket case of a country and really scary they have Nukes. Isn't there a crazy statistic about the percentage of inbreeding in the Pakistani community in the UK. Crazy numbers of them married to first cousins.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Good* cricketers though.

*Complete and utter cheats, and that's only the umpires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

MadYaker wrote: »

Is he from a rural or urban area?
    I wonder if there’s a difference between the moderates and the cavemen; is it generational, urban/rural etc

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Johnnycanyon

I visited Pakistan several years ago and it was one of the best holidays I ever had.. The people I met went out of their way to help and said it was their duty as I was a visitor in their country..So not all Pakistanis are like the ones I have witnessed in the above videos, although it does surprise me somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

In terms of cities, places like Lahore are supposed to be ok but then you get cesspits like Karachi. The rural areas are back in the stone age.

Ipso wrote: »
    Is he from a rural or urban area?
    I wonder if there’s a difference between the moderates and the cavemen; is it generational, urban/rural etc

He's from a large city, can't remember the name. He says theres a huge divide between rural and urban. Rural much more conservative. Young people from urban areas tend to have fairly liberal views. Maybe not liberal by our standards though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

If ever somone or their family were deserving of asylum...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Like a lot of countries you'd wonder how they would have turned out if the colonial powers that invaded them didn't leave the place in ****e when when they left. A few years ago BBC news did a short piece on the conflict between India and Pakistan spanning 50+ years but conveniently didn't go back to when mountbatten pulled the troops out leaving people displaced all over the shop

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭green shoots

I really love what they're planning to do with trees in Pakistan though, hopefully they follow through

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/pakistan-to-plant-10-billion-trees-in-bid-to-combat-climate-change-a3904961.html

wonder it be wonderful if we could do something similar here?

It always find it odd that their country is so messed up when most of the guys that are over here have a work ethic that would put the germans to shame. I think corruption is endemic at all levels of government and society and thats a big part of the problem. It worries me that they have nukes. Obama is on record saying that Pakistans nukes were the one thing that kept him up at night. I think the US government used to keep fairly close tabs on the nuclear program via spies but since they killed Bin Laden that has gotten a lot more diffcult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Sorry we only take Muslims and African economic migrants in Europe.

They look Muslimy though

Mooooo wrote: »
    Like a lot of countries you'd wonder how they would have turned out if the colonial powers that invaded them didn't leave the place in ****e when when they left. A few years ago BBC news did a short piece on the conflict between India and Pakistan spanning 50+ years but conveniently didn't go back to when mountbatten pulled the troops out leaving people displaced all over the shop

Without colonialism, they'd still be chucking Spears at each other.

If the colonial powers didn't leave the way they did, it would have been years and years of false prophets running around telling everybody that everything will be great as soon as the colonisers are gone, there will be a million "Free <insert region> Protests", the colonisers will back off and they'll end up screwing the country up themselves.

There is a reason why these countries were colonised and they were not the colonisers

I wouldn't say it's a failed state though. They have a (poorly) functioning government, education system, Justice system etc etc. Somalia is an example of a true failed state.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

If the colonial powers didn't leave the way they did, it would have been years and years of false prophets running around telling everybody that everything will be great as soon as the colonisers are gone, there will be a million "Free <insert region> Protests", the colonisers will back off and they'll end up screwing the country up themselves.

There is a reason why these countries were colonised and they were not the colonisers

Bollix to that last statement anyway. The colonisers went in to take what they could including people, for the good of the crown, empire etc. . Majority of countries were left in **** by the British, French, Spanish etc. Instead of a planned transition mountbatten pulled them out too quickly after fcuking up the continent in the first place. There were different religions then fighting for what the British took off them in the first place. All the colonial powers ended delaying those countries own internal affairs and has a lot of them in **** to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Jog on with that nonsense. Colonialism happened because some countries were strong enough to rob weaker countries blind (us included) and they did so solely to enrich the elites of Britain, France, Belgium et al. It didn’t happen because other countries were ‘in need of civilisation’ or other such bollix. Colonial forces often displayed a far greater inhumanity and savagery than the silly natives who were being conquered; British colonialism in India impoverished and dismantled and a prosperous place; in the Congo the Belgians systematically brutalised the country to the point the inhabitants were worked to death in the forests harvesting rubber so King Leopold could build palaces while masquerading as a good Christian missionary.

Colonialism wrecked our own country, the fact you’re an Irish fella seal clapping for it is evidence enough of the damage it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

The recent protests cost the country $1.2bn in damage.

The state agreed with religious groups that she cannot leave the country.

Her lawyer has fled Pakistan reportedly.

I won't be going to Pakistan on my holidays.

One of the most ignorant posts I've been unfortunate enough to read.

• Advertisement

Why were countries, even smaller countries like Belgium, able to colonise much larger lands and populations? Why were they more powerful?

Advertisement