Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-09-2018, 15:01   #1
Keengolfer7

how was your golfing year?

Played well in the winter but I haven't troubled the places all summer and the .1's have racked up to give me an extra shot for next year. I'm thinking of joining a different course next year to give myself a better chance of being involved in the big days or even winning a tournament. Does not winning anything or scoring well get you down after a while?

How was your year?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-09-2018, 15:12   #2
Irishdaywalker

Winning would'nt get me down anyway - as there is always one player out their shooting the lights out, It's nice to get a win every now and again but once I am competitive off my handicap I am satisfied with that. 
But . . I have been on a bad run of .1 backs where I am nearly going back a shot from the start of the year, when I hoped to lose 2 or even 3 ! 
Something will click and the confidence will come flowing back, don't know if moving course will help, depends where you are a member and you just don't like the course? ? 
Stick with it ! just a bad patch
13-09-2018, 15:13   #3
mike12

To be honest it's almost impossible to win anything once you have stopped improving.

Happens to everyone when time for practice dries up.

It's not as bad and in our course as 35 points will often get you a prize.

Never bothers me not winning.
13-09-2018, 15:17   #4
slave1

Mod: Golf, ZTest
Too soon man, hope there's plenty more golf left to be played
13-09-2018, 15:43   #5
Dublin Spur

A bit Meh really
4.0 at 1 Jan currently at 4.1
Been up to 4.8 and down to 3.7
Positives - Had a couple of wins and my lowest ever competitive round (-2)
Negatives - Way too many 0.1s and lost some distance off the tee
Plenty to work on
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-09-2018, 16:42   #6
pakman

started the year only getting back into it after a few years away. Got a 21 handicap even though I was way way worse. The main aim was to break 90 off the white tees.

I gradually built up some form over the year. Topped off just before a holiday away with three rounds 90, 93, and 90 and I managed a third place finish in one of the weekly comps. Thats enough for me to be happy and now my new swing changes are so bedded in they are causing problems but thats a good thing in some ways.
13-09-2018, 17:25   #7
kennethrhcp

like slave1 said... I hope there's more scoring golf left in the year. it's gotta be 1 of the shortest scoring seasons in a good few years.

I started the year off 11, was about to be playing bruen with a solid 5 handicapper… took a golf ball to the head & that ended golf for a bit & ruled me out of bruen. Just got back in time for Purcell & really enjoyed it.

end of June I was off 11even & by end of Aug I was off 9.2... very happy with that! had 2 .1s bck the last few weeks... out again Sat & hoping it doesn't see me creep back up to 10!!! if I could end this year off 9 I'd be very happy & hopefully make the bruen team next year
(2) thanks from:
13-09-2018, 20:07   #8
fred funk }{

Bit of a strange year TBH. I've gone up 1.5 but I think I'm a better golfer this year and can play better golf than last year but the consistency isn't there.

I felt I wasn't making enough birdies last year from the positions I was in from the tee so made a conscious decision to be more aggressive on my wedge shots to take on more pins. It hasn't worked TBH and I'm scratching more holes than I was last year.

I play a lot of competitions (7 in the last 2 weeks) so my handicap can go up pretty quick if I'm not playing well which it has a few times this year but I've also been one short of the buffer more times than I can remember. Still enjoying it though.
Thanks from:
13-09-2018, 20:38   #9
swededmonkey

Topsy turvy. Won a medal, won & placed my section a few times and cut 3 shots, but everything in-between was fairly inconsistent. Driving accuracy my biggest weakness but my short game has drastically improved around the greens
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-09-2018, 20:46   #10
spacecoyote

Thoroughly mediocre is all I can say really.

Unless there is a turnaround before qualifying season ends it'll be my first season since getting my GUI that my handicap has gone up in a year
(3) thanks from:
13-09-2018, 21:45   #11
dan_ep82

Good, dropped two playing shots but felt I should have dropped more. Might squeeze in some more cuts this year if I get back on form.

Next year I'm planning on playing a few more away games with some lower CSS, it was difficult to get a cut this year in my new club.
(2) thanks from:
13-09-2018, 23:16   #12
Rikand

Played in 7 comps and got 4 0.1's back.

Might request 5 shots increase from the handicap sec as I'm more of a 12 handicapper these days than a 7
14-09-2018, 12:07   #13
slave1

Mod: Golf, ZTest
[QUOTE=Rikand;108076064...Might request 5 shots increase from the handicap sec as I'm more of a 12 handicapper these days than a 7[/QUOTE]

Thanks from:
14-09-2018, 12:19   #14
Rikand

Quote:
Originally Posted by slave1 View Post
I'm laying ground work for my 2022 Captains prize win!
14-09-2018, 13:34   #15
frink

Good year for me from a handicap perspective.
Started at 6.6 and now at 5.3 with the lowest being 5.0 at one point.
14 qualifying comps, cut in 5 of them and 7 0.1s and 2 buffers.
Best position being 4th in a medal and best gross score of +3.
Played a few interclub matches and had shockers to I'd like to improve on that for next year.

Still have a few weeks to try get a few more cuts but haven't played much in the last month so expect the handicap might creep back up towards 6.

Set the target of 4 for next year so I've a bit of work to do on the putting over winter. Feel my long game is as good as any but short game is way behind people I've played with off 3 or better
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion