Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&D Beginner's Game: Act 1, Scene 2(d): Times of Prayer

Options
  • 20-04-2018 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

Brutha appears the other side of the portal at the end of a winding passageway. The walls are made of marble, with effigies of various deities from across the globe.

Om, is present on Brutha's right hand side, about four effigies down from his current position.

The passageway leads east, and winds around a bend.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

Brutus takes a breath. He is heartened to see the Great God Om in his familiar Tortoise form on the wall. He takes a moment to thank the Great God Om for his life being spared, and having missed the chance to do so earlier, he goes through his usual morning ritual of prayer. The he looks up and prepares himself to move on, Mace in hand and keeping an eye out for any traps.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭The Dungeon Master

jasonb wrote: »
    Brutus takes a breath. He is heartened to see the Great God Om in his familiar Tortoise form on the wall. He takes a moment to thank the Great God Om for his life being spared, and having missed the chance to do so earlier, he goes through his usual morning ritual of prayer. The he looks up and prepares himself to move on, Mace in hand and keeping an eye out for any traps.

Brutha, being mindful spots a miniscule sized tripwire running across the room between the images of two of the deities. He can avoid it rather easily, knowing its location now.

Brutha carefully steps over the tripwire, ensuring he doesn't set off another trap by avoiding this one. He also carefully looks at where the tripwire joins the walls, and looks at the varuous deities on the walls as he slowly makes his way down the corridor. "All these false gods that the foolish people believe in" he thinks to himself, content in the knowledge that the Great God Om is the one true god and will protect him. That said, he knows that the Great God Om doesn't suffer fools (for it is written in the Second Book of the Septateuch) so he takes his time and trusts his eyes and his mace as well as his God...

The passageway turns east, widening into a short hall. A few torches provide a miserly light. Several cells line the wall.

dungeons_by_rukkits-d4963hm.jpg

Once again checking for traps, Brutha sees if he can take a torch off the wall, to help him shine Great God Om's light. Then, without getting too close to the bars, he checks out each cell to see if they're occupied.

• Advertisement

Once again checking for traps, Brutha sees if he can take a torch off the wall, to help him shine Great God Om's light. Then, without getting too close to the bars, he checks out each cell to see if they're occupied.

The torch comes off the wall easy enough.

3 of the cells hold corpses that are slumped facedown on their bunks.

In the fourth, a haggard, filthy man is curled up in the corner. He appears to be sleeping, or at least has not noticed Brutha yet.

Brutha says a quiet prayer for the souls of the dead prisoners, and then softly calls out to the man in the final cell. “Hello, can you hear me? How did you end up here?”

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Brutha says a quiet prayer for the souls of the dead prisoners, and then softly calls out to the man in the final cell. “Hello, can you hear me? How did you end up here?”

The man jumps up in shock.

'Who said that? Petunia, that you again... I told you, I shouldn't do that...'

He turns around and spots Brutha.

'Where in the name of the mighty Kankalot did you come from?'

He calms down a little and smiles - most of his teeth are missing or rotted.

'Good grief, let me out of this cell immediately! The master will come back... and he gets angry...'

"Who is the Master? And please answer me, why are you in the cell?"

"Who is the Master? And please answer me, why are you in the cell?"

The man steps forward, lurching a little bit to the side.

'The Master does nasty things... I dare not speaketh his name!

I am here because I was foolish. My poor dear Petunia, I cannot even reach her anymore?'

He looks pleadingly at Brutha.

'You... You! Are you a God loving man? Please, free me so I can be with my Petunia!'

• Advertisement

Brutha tells the man to move to the back of the cell. Once he’s away from the door Brutha quickly looks around to make sure no-one is nearby, and then looks at the cell door to see if it’s locked, if there are any traps on it, and if there’s a way of opening it.

No traps Brutha can see.

In fact, the cell door appears to be unlocked.

Brutha steps back and ensures the man sees him readying his Mace. “This door is not locked and you can leave anytime you like, no-one is stopping you.”

The man falters.

'Child of Om, surely you see I am of no threat to you? My lovely Petunia... I must reach her. She has not known pleasure in three days.

Open the door for an old man, please?'

“I know not if you are a threat or not, but I can see that the door is unlocked and you can open it yourself. If you want to leave, I’d advise you to do so now. If you continue to delay me on my journey, I will ensure that you cannot sneak up behind me, as I cannot take the chance that you might mean me harm”

The man becomes irate.

'Surely an Om worshipper such as you can spare the time to open the cell door for me? It is a meager request. Petunia is waiting, I can feel her need, she has waited so long...'

He takes a step towards the cell door.

“The Great God Om’s teachings tell me to help you old man, and my eyes tell me all is not what it seems here. Stand back!” Brutha puts the torch up against the cell door, pushing it between the bars a little until it’s slightly wedged, and then pulls it back to pull the door open with it.

The man rushes out of the cell and laughs at Bruthur.

'You fell for the act - they ALL do - and they all become my toys!'

His eyes glow a deep red:

3c1da92af3b6b06747934d616a0ef7e7

He takes a dagger concealed within his rags.

'The Master will be pleased, our First Om worshipper.

Now you shall be tested, cleric of Om - Is your faith strong enough?

Or will you die like all of the rest?'

He chants some unintelligible words, although Brutha can sense the pure evil of them - blood magic.

The ragged man drives the dagger into his own heart, collapses and dies.

At the same time - the other three cells fly open and the three corpses within animate.

The zombies rush Brutha:

zombies-620x412-560x372.jpg

OOC: Please join me in the rolz room... Initiative time

OOC: Zombies, why did it have to be Zombies... Let me know what you need me to roll. And does the Holy Water help here at all?

OOC: Zombies, why did it have to be Zombies... Let me know what you need me to roll. And does the Holy Water help here at all?

OOC: It'll be a d20 to start, to see who goes first... Holy Water might help, there's also your cleric ability...

• Advertisement

OOC: The Meatgrinder

Above room if you're having trouble finding it :)

Brutha rips his holy symbol from his pack and calls on Om to protect him.

Unfortunately, the zombies overpower him. One swipes wildly and misses, but the other two connect and pin him to the ground.

As they close in for the kill, Brutha has one final chance to save himself.....

The third zombie, turns at the last moment and is distracted by the scent of blood from the dead man on the floor.

He lumbers over and begins feasting on the man's corpse, tearing him open.

Both zombies holding Brutha now react to the smell of the man's innards as they are ripped apart.

They release the cleric and join in on the feast.

They will entirely consume the man within 2 minutes.

Gathering his wits, and all of his possesions, Brutha gets the hell out of there...

OOC: Thanks for the let-off DM...

There are two exits:

Back through the door he entered to the west, or a door to east. The east door involves running past the zombies however.

While the Zombies are still feasting Brutha realises there's no point going back the way he came, it's a dead end. Taking as wide a berth as possible, he runs past the Zombies to the East door, trying to keep an eye out for traps as he does so...

Two of the zombies notice Brutha running past them towards the door. They begin to get up as Brutha reaches the door.

OOC: You can make it through the door before they reach you, but checking for traps or other actions will cause them to reach you.

Brutha decides the danger he can see overrides the possible danger he can't see, and goes through the door before the Zombies reach him

Brutha slips inside the door without any difficulties. He closes it and turns around to see two familiar faces come tumbling out of a portal....

• Advertisement

Stufur and Webby crash land on the floor. A sunburnt hand lands on Stufur's lap as the portal vanishes.

Advertisement