Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Saturday PM (10th) - Tuesday AM (13th), Snow and Ice

• 09-02-2018 8:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,348 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Might as well get the ball rolling here so as to put the other thread to rest finally.

Potential hazards:

Ice
    Snow
    Low Temperatures

Areas most at Risk:

Ulster
    Connaught
    West Munster

During Saturday evening a much colder northwesterly airflow will become established over the country bringing heavy snow showers to primarily (but not exclusively) the western half of the country Saturday night and more widespread through Sunday with accumulations likely (finally some daytime snow ;) ). Snow showers will continue in western and northern areas through Sunday night and Monday (occasionally some drifting to eastern parts).

On Monday evening rain moves in from the west and could turn to snow for many but, if not, particularly the northwest is at risk. It may also turn to snow more generally before moving in to the Irish sea later Monday night.

Keep an eye on this as any snowfall would be significant.

Cold throughout.

Night time temperatures will range 0 - -5c during Saturday, Sunday and the first part of Monday night. Temperatures during Sunday will also be very low - just above freezing generally but lower where snow lies.

This looks disruptive for the western half of the country and occasionally could be disruptive in eastern parts also especially Saturday night and in to Sunday.

Most of all enjoy it if you can :eek:

ECMOPEU00_48_1.png

fax48s.gif?0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Is this as promising as last night in terms of cold enough uppers?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,348 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Is this as promising as last night in terms of cold enough uppers?

Couple of degrees lower generally

18021106_0900.gif

18021112_0900.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

6z gfs precipitation chart for 6pm Sunday....

18021118_0906.gif

Think we are looking good for precipitation to be snow (see charts below), we just need the precipitation. As last night showed, Feb is the best time for westerly sourced snow as sea temps are so low so modification is minimised.

Uppers...

18021118_0906.gif

2m temps..

18021118_0906.gif

Rather spectacular dew points...

18021118_0906.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭pad199207

6z gfs precipitation chart for 6pm Sunday....

18021118_0906.gif

Think we are looking good for precipitation to be snow (see charts below), we just need the precipitation. As last night showed, Feb is the best time for westerly sourced snow as sea temps are so low so modification is minimised.

Uppers...

18021118_0906.gif

2m temps..

18021118_0906.gif

Rather spectacular dew points...

18021118_0906.gif

Usually if the temperatures are there it means that the precipitation isn’t there :(

Are the winds strong to bring the showers inland? Hopefully a trough will develop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

You the man Kermit!

You gave me snow when pessimism reigned.

My hopes are high again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,691 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Are the winds strong to bring the showers inland? Hopefully a trough will develop.

That would be the gravy alright, nice bit of deep Greenland express contrast over the sea temps, could get a few beefy troughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭pauldry

Even though i hate this cold isnt this a brilliant Winter for wintryness

Remember 2012 - 2017 when we used to fantasise about temperatures going below 10c ...in five days.

Now its non stop wintry showers with the odd day at 9c

pauldry wrote: »

Remember 2012 - 2017 when we used to fantasise about temperatures going below 10c ...in five days.

Absolutely. I don't think my area had charts as good as next Sunday more than once or twice in a reliable timeframe in the last 5 years. Now its just another chance at getting snow. We would have been on page 50 of this thread by now last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Yeah it has been a great winter for snow,nearly everyone has seen some fall,I know some people crave this beast from the east so hopefully it delivers for the east coast in the next few weeks

• Advertisement

Euro 04 for Sunday morning....

18021106_0906.gif

Would be lovely to have a snowy day on a Sunday. I can play in the snow and pretend I'm only doing it for my kids......:)

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Yeah it has been a great winter for snow,nearly everyone has seen some fall,I know some people crave this beast from the east so hopefully it delivers for the east coast in the next few weeks

Nearly but not everyone has seen some fall I am afraid :(
    So far that is ;)

Nearly but not everyone has seen some fall I am afraid :(
    So far that is ;)

Yeah hopefully that changes for you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

We have but I'd like to see a big deep snow that lasts a couple of days.

pilly wrote: »
    We have but I'd like to see a big deep snow that lasts a couple of days.

I think everyone would😉

12Z Hirlam is good...

hirlamuk-1-42-0.png?09-17

hirlamuk-16-48-0.png?09-17

hirlamuk-18-48-0.png?09-17

Aperge just has rain but it had the same for last night.

12z GFS good too (and it has been uncharacteristically reliable recently)...

18021112_0912.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Big cold airmass flooding in again from later Saturday through Sunday introducing wintry precipitation, most of which falling in the W, NW and Atlantic coastal counties it would seem. Fresh winds ( windy on coasts ) giving a a hefty windchill. It will be interesting seeing the potential for snow closer to the time. Thunderstorm potential again mostly along Atlantic coasts. Will be nice to see the showers of whatever falls :)

tempresult_jpj2.gif

tempresult_ckt8.gif

nmmuk-43-49-0_pgl8.png

Fj3Yc6L.png

f46tGmn.png

0wLYqGR.png

5xsvFAK.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Pangea

pauldry wrote: »

about time someone said it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

It's been a pretty nondescript winter here in Dublin with not much in the way of snow

• Advertisement

The forecast for Sunday on Met Eireann pretty underwhelming after the news. It will be very cold but snow showers confined to higher ground. Hopefully upgrades tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The forecast for Sunday on Met Eireann pretty underwhelming after the news. It will be very cold but snow showers confined to higher ground. Hopefully upgrades tomorrow.
    Why would you think Met Eireann know more than us?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭typhoony

the thread should be changed to Sat 10th to Fri 16th, with only a brief incursion of mild air on Wednesday it does seem like February will be a below average temperature month

What's your forecast then so we can compare Monday evening?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Because they're a professional organisation full of qualified and experienced meteorologists with access to far more information than we have. You constantly complain about their forecasts in these threads then have nothing to say when the forecast is correct

Didn't see the forecast after the 9pm news but the earlier one with Jean Byrne mentioned a mix of hail, sleet and snow on Sunday. It looks pretty much like a repeat of what we've seen countless times already this winter, high ground and inland Ulster will likely get snow while most other areas will have a chance of a brief dusting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

It's been a pretty nondescript winter here in Dublin with not much in the way of snow
    Have you been up the mountains?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Okay here's why I complain about Met Eireann

1) They ramped up the snow event last week and most got nothing.
    2) Last night most of Cork got a right pasting. Yet they didn't suggest the south was at decent risk even though uppers were -8
    3) Their regional forecast yesterday by provence was exactly the same for all four yet it was very evident places exposed to the North West were most at risk. Unprofessional imo.
    4) They seem to have most confidence in models like harmonie yet clearly models like gfs or ecm are superior.

I don't complain for the sake of it and am on record as congratulating them when they do call it right

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭King of Spades

You’ve been unlucky. We’re only about 40 Kms northwest of you (albeit at 150 meters) and we’ve had snow cover 7 different times this winter, ranging from this morning’s dusting up to about 8cm on Jan 16th.

It’s been unusual to have so much cold weather and snow coming from the west. And more to arrive by the sounds of it.

Okay here's why I complain about Met Eireann

1) They ramped up the snow event last week and most got nothing.
    2) Last night most of Cork got a right pasting. Yet they didn't suggest the south was at decent risk even though uppers were -8.....

Ah now! Most of us had a 1cm on cars and grass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

In 1917 they had heavy snow on April the 2nd! All is not lost, its only February and charts dont look too shabby, Sunday 9am from latest Euro4

18021109_0918.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement