Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 goals

Options
  • 28-12-2017 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭

Just thought I'd open up a thread for people to put down their fitness goals for 2018. It's for everyone so it doesn't matter if you don't think it compares well to someone else's, it's about people wanting to improve on where they're at over the next 12 months.

Writing it down is a good motivator - you've put it out there so it might be one of the several things you use to keep you shooting for the goal.

As for me, I haven't really put it together yet but will do in the next couple of days but some people have concrete goals in the Fitness Logs so wanted to open it up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

130 bench

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

400 wilks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

1.5x s, 70kg b, 2x dl

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Blacktie. wrote: »
    400 wilks

600ish total?

Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

600ish total?

Ye well prob a bit more since I'm giving up on weight class since nationals has just raced way ahead of me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,498 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

General: Be less crap than I am now

Specific: 2x bodyweight squat, 1.5x bodyweight bench, 2.5x bodyweight deadlift. The squat and deadlift are achievable, bench not so much. But as long as I remain as hard working as I have been and don't do anything stupid, who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

140 bench and 200 squat at 93kg. At about 135 and 185 at 97kg at the moment, so some work to do but should be very achievable

• Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Hopefully I’ll be quoting this post in 12 months.
    I’m hoping to increase my squat from 150kg to 170kg
    Deadlift from 190kg to 220kg
    Bench paused from 87.5kg to 100kg
    OHP from 60kg to 65kg
    @85kg ish
    Let’s see how that goes.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Susihelp

Do a pull up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

I don’t really like setting specific goals as when you don’t meet them is your year a failure?

But I’m 2018 I want to work towards a 300kg squat at about 105kg body weight ... put 20kg on my bench (from a low base) and improve on my deadlift ... would love a 280 pull.

There isn’t a whole pile of drug free 300kg squatters in the country so it would be a nice goal

• Advertisement

whippet wrote: »
    I don’t really like setting specific goals as when you don’t meet them is your year a failure?

I never look at it as a failure. Just assess what i did get and if I fell short, why. And then work on what i need to work on. Plan -> Do -> Review-> Revise

• Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

whippet wrote: »

But I’m 2018 I want to work towards a 300kg squat at about 105kg body weight ... put 20kg on my bench (from a low base) and improve on my deadlift ... would love a 280 pull.

There isn’t a whole pile of drug free 300kg squatters in the country so it would be a nice goal

300kg squat. FFS

A couple of short term goals:

1) get my deadlift feeling like it was 12 months ago. Not really sure why but it has regressed. Big part of it is not getting my head straight on the platform which is where all my heaviest attempts have been in last 12 months.
    2) Pass that bloody 500kg total. Should have happened by now but my deadlift deserted me.

A 4-plate squat. I've squatted 175kg in the gym. I want 180kg - on the platform ideally. The way training has been going, the numbers are headed in the right direction. Not sure when I will be testing (platform or otherwise) but would expect that to happen in Q1 and then on towards 190kg.

110kg bench. There's a small weakness in my left shoulder that manifested itself on my last bench at last comp and nearly cost me the 102.5. But the weight didn't feel like it was going to pin me. I think 110 is achievable.

Like I said already, I need to just get back to how I used deadlift. Sept 2016 I first pulled 220 and it was smooth. I was calm and just pulled it. The 220 in January wasn't great, the 222.5 in May was ugly and then it got worse in August and November. I know I have pulled that weight properly - I just need to figure out why I'm not now. Is it that I'm trying to make myself aggressive on the platform and throwing myself off? Possibly. Once I get that sorted, I can look up towards 230.

I enjoy training so I'll just keep training away as hard and smart as I can and que cera cera. But those are a couple of the goals for 2018.

Edit: currently 83-84kg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Try and stay injury free, and work around the ongoing ones I have!

Squat 1.5x BW
    BW bench
    Might as well stick 2xBW DL in here as well but it is a good way off for various reasons so even if the year goes brilliantly don't think I'd hit it

BW target = 70kg (this needs "some" work post-Xmas! :o)

The above would be a dream year for me tbh, so I will be happy if my numbers are even 2.5kg above where they are now once I have enjoyed the year training!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Mine are very much like others:
    1x bw bench from 55.5 to 60kg (tough task)
    1.5x bw squat 80 -> 90 (unachievable but I keep trying)
    2x bw deadlift 110 -> 120 (planning to hit that in january, very ambitious indeed!)
    and of course, to stay injury free that I can keep training. oh, and get down to 60kg bw (blame xmas!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Get the biceps up to or over 18 inchs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Generally getting back to being less fat

200 deadlift

At least complete 2x 5 k and one 10k by 2018 end

To no longer bench like a child

Be better prepared for football season than ever before

• Registered Users Posts: 43 daisyos1

Hoping to run 5-10 marathons. I ran 5 this year in Dublin City but want to double that in 2018 I'm no professional runner but I'm getting there!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

After 6 months of minor but infuriating injury, I'm hoping to get back to where I was when the injury happened, which was squatting & deadlifting 20kg on the bar (I started with just the bar) and improve on it. The injury has meant I've put on a few kilos - not brave enough to stand on the scales just yet but I'll knock them off too, hopefully in time for a family wedding in May.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

To stop focusing on the damn scales and logging every morsel and instead focus on eating well and getting fitter and stronger.

To that end:
    -Do a pull up
    -Run a 10km
    -Complete a Hell and Back/Tough Mudder type event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Have been thinking about this for the last few days, had posted them on my instagram just before Christmas but now I think I'll have to rethink my squat one.

Main overall goal is just to compete in an IPF comp, currently targeting the May Open. Ideally I'd like to get my total up to over 550 (from 522.5) at the least.

In terms of actual lifts:
    Squat: On instagram I had said 200kg, which has been a long term target. I had been worried this may not have been ambitious enough, as I think I'd have been at least close to getting it in the comp a few weeks ago. After tripling 180 at an RPE of about 8 this morning though I'm going to revise it to 210kg, as really feel 200kg is in me already or will be when I get back to doing singles at the least.

Bench: Basically to be less embarrassing compared to my other 2 lifts (do not want to end up doubling my bench with my squat!). Will hope to hit at least 115kg this year, up from 105 a month ago.

Deadlift: 240kg. I'm not sure how ambitious or unambitious this is after how easy the 227.5 was a few weeks ago, but I'll leave it as is for now anyway.

While it would be nice to get those in the gym, really will be aiming to hit them in competition, and if I could put all 3 together I'd easily get my total target as well, but leaving room there in case something goes wrong at the same time.

In terms of bodyweight it will be somewhere between 83 and 93kg for the most part anyway but would like to finish the year maybe a kg or 2 heavier than now and a bit leaner.

A lesser goal would be to get one pull-up with 50kg added on, have managed 40kg this year. Won't really be a main goal though or something I'm directly working towards though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

Goals for 2018, build a bit more muscle and drop bf, not very original I know, 2017 was a good year for me, 284 workouts, food logged 362 days, pretty happy, I'd like to match that again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

Goals for 2018: do more pilates, swimming and stretching/mobility. Currently going to gym and doing a minor amount of cardio there, weights and cycle a bit (road) but a better mix would be kinder to my back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'll try keep this brief.

I've hit all the heavy lifts I wanted to hit over the last thirty years. I had a complete pec tear two years ago which was misdiagnosed by a prick of a doc, by the time it was properly diagnosed it was too late to operate, so I've a fvcked up left pec which will never fully recover ~ long story short, my heavy lifting days are over.

I compete in Judo, until May 2017 I competed at +100kg (last comp in that cat I was 130kg).

In May/June I was diagnosed with type II diabetes.

I took three months off Judo and concentrated on diabetes management.

Went on a low (almost nil) carb diet. Downloaded a c25k app and started running.

Dropped over 30kgs and competed in Nov at 97kgs and took silver in the Irish Masters.

My diabetes is under control and my bloods are 'normal', but I'll remain on a low dose medication for the rest of my life and continue to monitor my bloods.

My goals for 2018.

Stay healthy. Manage my diabetes, although I'm in remission I'm at high risk of going back up.. I run between 5 and 10km most days so I'd love to do a marathon (for Diabetes Ireland).

And I'd like to compete at -90kgs, but at my present 95kgs I'm pretty lean as it is.

I'd like to motivate people with diabetes issues and help them understand that they can turn a diagnoses into something very positive. At 52 (in March) I'm fitter and healthier than I have been in the last 30 years :D

Finally a nod to an oldie here ~ James Hanley.

When I was diagnosed his videos on nutrition were a huge help to me, he's a massive loss to this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Cushtie

I just posted similar on another thread, but my goal is to go from what I would consider zero (couch) level of fitness to comfortably climb Mt Brandon in April and Carantouhill in the summer and keep up that level of overall fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Im approaching this year differently as im in my 38th year as a human the recovery is getting harder and harder and the niggles ar getting bigger and longer!
    This year ive promised my self to move on from hitting regular heavy singles on deads and squats and instead actualy focus on getting in better shape both inside and out!
    My main goals are abs:confused: and regain some lost mobility/flexability!
    Im re introducing cardio and do a bit of fluff work:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Cushtie wrote: »
    I just posted similar on another thread, but my goal is to go from what I would consider zero (couch) level of fitness to comfortably climb Mt Brandon in April and Carantouhill in the summer and keep up that level of overall fitness.

I can highly recommend downloading from Fitness22 their C25k app.

There's lots of freebie apps, but this one costs €3 ~ its worth every penny.

Basically its an eight week programme which will take you from zero to running 5km in eight weeks, its the easiest way I've ever found to getting cardio fit.

You can listen to your music and the app gives you instructions as to when to walk and jog, then cheesy little messages of encouragement.

I done their 5 to 10km after it, and like that it was the easiest way I've found to training for a 10k.. I loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Continue rehabbing my imbalances.
    Do a pull up.
    Do a 5k.
    Improve dead lift and bench.
    Enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

I want to work on my mobility and flexibility with the aim of being able to do the splits

I also want to do pull ups, would like to be able to do 5 unassisted, will settle for 1!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 NadFa

Goals for this year would be a 70kg squat at 55kg

I'd also like to take up a hobby/activity to improve my fitness that's not the gym

Eat more whole foods

Advertisement