Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options
  • 12-12-2017 5:28pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5)

The last thread was nearing the 10k post limit where boards explodes so here's part 5.

Usual rules apply. Read the forum charter if you havent, no fighter bashing or allegations of PED's etc.

Keep it civil at all times!

Any name-calling, trolling, baiting, or being a general ass-hat will earn you a ban from the thread and possibly the forum.
    If you have an issue with a post, please use the report post function.

Any off topic posts will be deleted.
    Any "Do you even train Bro?" or "I'm an mma fan longer than you" type posts are not permitted either. They only make you look like a fool and as a result, everyone hates you. Yes everyone.

Fighter bashing is against the charter - no name calling and derogatory terms..

Previous thread here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jackwigan

Odds on a title defense before Part 6?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Hopefully the boxing chat rots with the last thread

• Registered Users Posts: 29,487 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

FIIIGGHHTTT ANNOOUNCEE........

Oh no, he's just telling people to lick his shoes. Carry on people, nothing to see.

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/940665619359391745

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

jackwigan wrote: »
    Odds on a title defense before Part 6?

I think the odds of a title strip before Part 6 has better odds.

Hopefully the boxing chat rots with the last thread

Alot of us would love to talk about upcoming MMA fights of his. Unfortunately that's not happening. He seems to be eyeing a Boxing fight with Pacquio.

So its either Boxing fights or his latest benders with hookers and blow. Those are the only things he's been good for lately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Anybody read Fintan O'Tooles piece in the times?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

oh man i hope he fights in UFC soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,487 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Zero-Cool wrote: »

Conor has the most deluded fanboys for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Anybody read Fintan O'Tooles piece in the times?

Fintan is such a dickhead.

Summary of his article (italics are my additions):

Crumlin had a bad name in the 60's and 70s, if you said you lived in Crumlin "you probably wouldn't get called for a job interview".
    Then it changed the reality hit that Crumlin was "full of ordinary families who worked hard and led decent lives".
    Now "a single clown has changed the perception back"
    (Or in other words, Fintan knows that Crumlin people are still decent people, but everybody else in the world is thick and so they all think all Crumlin lads are scumbags because of McGregor!)

McGregor "showed contempt for the law" by "dramatically pulling into the car park in a BMW i8 and ostentatiously leaving the car doors open".
    (Note: when going to court, always close the car door!)

"Last week we had Instagram images of McGregor throwing £20 notes at lapdancers while his pals, Crumlin criminals, made lewd gestures. This is a disgusting kind of life"
    Anyone who's been to a strip club or lap dancing club - you know who you are - you are disgusting!! - But you probably knew that already (I did anyway :o )

"McGregor brands himself as just another kid from Crumlin so makes it both desirable and apparently attainable" to try and be like him.
    "The Crumlin kids who look up to him can live it only if they carve their way to the top of the drug dealing business".
    "For the vast majority it will lead to addicition, squalor, chaos and misery. They are infinitely more likely to die tryin' than to get rich".

There is plenty of real stuff to give out about McGregor, but by writing the above, Fintan proves that it is he himself who is a real scumbag. Blaming McGregor for turning people into drug dealers and drug addicts, FFS! And saying that's the only way a Crumlin person can become rich!! Impossible for a Crumlin person to become an entreprenuer, engineer, lawyer, etc. What a tool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

He’s back hanging around with Dee anyway, per his Instagram last night.

Also coached a G’n’P class in SBG yesterday according to John Kavanagh.

Seems to be winding down a bit coming up to Christmas :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Paully D wrote: »

Also coached a G’n’P class in SBG yesterday according to John Kavanagh.

Seems to be winding down a bit coming up to Christmas :pac:

Ah don't worry, 12 pubs is up soon :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Hasn't everybody including Conor said he is going back to MMA and defending the LW belt is the top priority now?

Would it be reasonable to expect some sort of announcement on the Dec 30th card to kick 2019 off for the UFC? They need it it seems.

When is Tony rumored to be back, or will they wait until his is confirmed fit to put the fight together?

LW has two big fights to make in the first quarter 2018, Tony and Conor followed immediately by the winner of Khabib and Barboza vs the winner of the former.

Paully D wrote: »

How nice of him to realize the Dee and his son still exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Can't see him ever fighting in the UFC again (outside of the ludicrously rumoured Floyd in the UFC fights), unless Dee leaves him and takes most of his money, and he loses the rest with poor business decisions/excessive drug use.

He might try to promote his own MMA fights, but can't see them being a draw without the UFC involved.

Any news on a defense being scheduled yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Any news on a defense being scheduled yet?

Just waiting for hell to freeze over and then we should hear something.

Gintonious wrote: »
    Just waiting for hell to freeze over and then we should hear something.

On the bright side a true Irish champion is fighting/defending at the moment.... War Katie!

Can't see him ever fighting in the UFC again (outside of the ludicrously rumoured Floyd in the UFC fights), unless Dee leaves him and takes most of his money, and he loses the rest with poor business decisions/excessive drug use.

He might try to promote his own MMA fights, but can't see them being a draw without the UFC involved.

He's still under exclusive contract [which keeps getting extended as long as he's champion] If he tries to have MMA fights outside of the UFC then they'll have him in court very fast.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    He's still under exclusive contract [which keeps getting extended as long as he's champion] If he tries to have MMA fights outside of the UFC then they'll have him in court very fast.

International Waters vs a Kangaroo or whatever to avoid defending a belt :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,035 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    How nice of him to realize the Dee and his son still exist.
    I find it odd the way people are assume that Conor's life doesn't exists outside of what we see on social media. A few nights out, a few shots of the gym. There are many other hours/days in the month. I wouldn't expect him to be snapchatting updates from Dee's bedroom. Is there some 24/7 source I'm not aware of?

Not aiming that at you btw, just a general comment on the pitch fork assumptions people seem to be making.
    "He doesn't want that kid" "Dee wants to leave him" "He doesn't even love his own son"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Out shopping blowing peoples salaries for 10 year probably this week in New York and these weirdos are facebook and group chats giving opinions on his personal life you gotta laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

so turns out MayMac wasn't the 'biggest PPV ever' as numerous posters insisted it would be. The empty seats of the arena told us that much

so turns out MayMac wasn't the 'biggest PPV ever' as numerous posters insisted it would be. The empty seats of the arena told us that much
    Arena seats don't affect PPV numbers. Two completely different markets imo.

Most early estimates were mid-4 millions. Which is pretty much inline with the above. Bookies lines was pretty good too, the over/under was 4.5 I think.

I read the other day that pirate streams were tracked and estimated that 100m watched that way. Sounds about right tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

It grossed the same pretty much including international markets, over $600m

I'm sure he's heartbroken that he didn't beat the record by a few hundred thousand

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

The lack of demand for seats, even with the crazy pricing told us it wasn't as big as hyped.

It was a phenomenal success as an event, but not quite as successful as hoped. Was by no means a failure but yeah I don't think anyone would have been gutted at the numbers, but maybe slight disappointment at the lack of records broken after all the insistence that it would raise the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I’d say he’s in NY to get paid his PPV points. I’d say it’s a possibility he’s negotiating his next UFC contract also.

The lack of demand for seats, even with the crazy pricing told us it wasn't as big as hyped.
    Seats are a completely different price point though. If the seats where all $100 they wouldn't have sold out in minutes. If all were $100k they have sold none.

If either case the PPV sales are mostly unchanged.
    It was a phenomenal success as an event, but not quite as successful as hoped. Was by no means a failure but yeah I don't think anyone would have been gutted at the numbers, but maybe slight disappointment at the lack of records broken after all the insistence that it would raise the bar.
    I'm sure the record would have been a nice cherry on top for all involved. But no two ways about it, 4.3m is a huge achievement.

If somebody suggested after UFC 189 that Conor 4m+ vrs Mayweather in two years time. They'd have been laughed at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

A gate of $55,414,865.79 and 4.3 million North American buys is a stellar success, it quite obviously makes it the 2nd biggest fight in combat sports history across the board from PPV buys to Gate, but I was definitely one predicting it would eclipse the records.

It should have, too.

Mistakes were made from the outset in all areas.

The tickets should have been ready to go on sale around the time of the fever-pitch presser in Toronto when buzz was at its maximum. It was a further 22 days before Showtime released them via TicketMaster and, even then, they released them with in-built restrictions on the amount of tickets-per-person to 2 and to #verifiedfan only buyers.

In practice, they were trying to reduce the influence of ticket touts on the event but in reality that wasn't necessary. The tickets were priced so high to begin with, I doubt there was too much liquidity for the touts to bulk-buy the $10,000 and $5,000 tickets in the first place.

The biggest thing they did differently was not immediately offloading in bulk to Vegas hotels. That made up the majority of the May-Pac gate (only 500 tickets were available to the public) but they went a different route with this one.

In terms of the PPV numbers, Showtime made aggressive moves to prevent piracy in the May-Pac fight, employing teams to go across the country checking bar licenses etc but they either didn't have the time (or didn't care) to reciprocate that effort this time around.

The reality is the fight was watched live by well over 100 million people and, to hazard a guess, I'd imagine by well over 40 million in America. A more aggressive anti-piracy effort would probably have gained a few hundred thousand more legitimate purchasers, especially when you factor in bar licenses.

Then on fight night there were chronic problems with the NeuLion stream, we will never know how many tried to buy the fight but gave up to go look for a free stream. The problems were to the extent that the UFC completely cut ties with NeuLion, who had been their PPV provider for years and signed a new deal with FiteTV.

It certainly had the potential to breeze past 5 million buys and the $72.1 million gate record because demand for the fight was astronomical. Showtime, Neulion and, to a lesser extent, the UFC and TicketMaster butchered things at almost every step along the way.

There's confidentiality agreements all over the shop so nobody knows for sure but if you take $600 million as the complete revenue number and work with the best public reporting, that puts the UFC's revenue for the fight at close to $80 million, and Showtimes at $110 million, so it's no wonder Dana seemed pretty confident 2017 was their best year yet.

• Advertisement

Conor in NewYork shopping, but makes time to call into Unity to train with Paulo Miyao. Interesting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement