Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Wind Warning for Dublin, Wexford, Wicklow, Galway, Clare, Cork, Kerry, Limerick and W

• 11-09-2017 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Dublin, Wexford, Wicklow, Galway, Clare, Cork, Kerry, Limerick and Waterford
    A deepening depression is expected to track eastwards across the centre of Ireland,(Galway to Dublin) this evening with a band of very strong winds on its southern and western flanks, which will affect coastal counties of the southwest, south and east at times later this afternoon and evening.
    Southwest to west winds are expected to increase to mean speed of 50 to 65km/h, with gusts of 90 to 110km/h this afternoon in coastal counties of the southwest and south, with the severe winds becoming northwesterly and transferring to more eastern counties this evening. Winds will be at their strongest in exposed coastal areas.

Issued:Monday 11 September 2017 23:00
    Valid:Tuesday 12 September 2017 14:00 to Tuesday 12 September 2017 23:59

STATUS YELLOW

Weather Advisory for Wexford, Wicklow, Galway, Clare, Cork, Kerry, Limerick and Waterford
    A depression is set to cross Ireland on Tuesday. It will bring strong and blustery southwest to west
    winds to southern parts of the country during the afternoon and evening, strongest in coastal areas.
    There will be heavy rain also.

Issued:Monday 11 September 2017 14:00
    Valid:Tuesday 12 September 2017 15:01 to
    Tuesday 12 September 2017 23:59

Dry in many places early Tuesday morning apart from a few showers. But wet in the afternoon,
    with heavy rain in many places, but especially in many central and northern counties.
    Becoming very windy in some areas also, especially in places near the southwest and south
    coasts in the afternoon, and potentially severe winds near the east coast
    in the evening.
    Highs of 14 to 16 degrees Celsius.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mean speeds from the Hirlam.

tempresult_mhr5.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The Arome Gust chart showing the center much further down S on this run , just rolling out atm , keeping the strongest winds off shore.

Big difference in track to the Hirlam .

tempresult_sdd5.gif

The Arpege very similar to the Arome

tempresult_lzb3.gif

The WRF more in line with the Hirlam.

Gusts

tempresult_dyz7.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Latest TAFs:

Dublin (9pm-12am) and Shannon (6pm-8pm) both forecasting gusts of up to 45kts.

Cork expecting gusts of up to 40kts (4pm-6pm)

Knock not expecting wind above 15kts.

The variableness of the wind tomorrow is quite cool, with Knock expecting winds from nearly every direction!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

I love the way they add 'highs of 14 to 16 degrees Celsius' :p

• Advertisement

Shannon max gusts dropped to 43kts in the last TAF and Dublin has dropped to 40kts.

Interestingly, Liverpool is expecting possible gusts of 60kts and Manchester expecting up to 55kts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭pad199207

Has been officially named as Aileen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

pad199207 wrote: »
    Has been officially named as Aileen.

By the UKMO I presume?

MJohnston wrote: »
    By the UKMO I presume?

By the UK Met Office and Met Eireann

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

A very vigorous depression for so early in the season and before the equinox.
    Why the polar front is so far south when the Arctic is at its warmest and always seems to be north of Scotland when the Arctic is at its coldest in mid-winter is beyond my rather limited knowledge of meteorology? :confused:
    Any opinions why the polar front moves north in winter? Why does the Azores high always build in winter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yea looking more likely to undergo rapid deepening to the east of Ireland but these systems often develop very rapidly and sometimes before model guidance suggests

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Ardrageen

There are loads of power cuts all over the country at the moment .Of course mine is gone again as it likes to do every couple of days. I wonder whats going on as there is barely a puff of wind around at the moment. Maybe the ESB are practising for what's coming.:)

By the UK Met Office and Met Eireann

By that I meant that it must be because of an orange warning somewhere in the UK, rather than Ireland, right?

MJohnston wrote: »
    By that I meant that it must be because of an orange warning somewhere in the UK, rather than Ireland, right?

I understand what your saying, but it relates to both countries

I understand what your saying, but it relates to both countries

Im asking a specific question though, was the storm named because of an orange level alert in the UK, or for another reason?

To answer my own question, it appears that this was named due to the Orange level warnings in parts of the UK:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-41228587

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

There is no mention of the name Aileen on met.ie ATM. Maybe it will be on the next update of it's forecast. I think the UKMO was responsible for the naming as the deepening low will have a bigger impact on Britain than Ireland. I think there is orange warnings over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Darwin

Storm Aileen now mentioned on their update to the weather warning. It would appear the track is a little further south than expected looking at the met.ie short range wind forecast.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Met E and the UKMO do not have to jointly decide on naming the ndividual storms. Either can 'call it' (independently/without consultation).

As above, looks like UKMO called this one as the low pressure will develop rapidly passing over Ireland and pack a punch into NW England and N Wales.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Met E and the UKMO do not have to jointly decide on naming the ndividual storms. Either can 'call it' (independently/without consultation).

As above, looks like UKMO called this one as the low pressure will develop rapidly passing over Ireland and pack a punch into NW England and N Wales.

Yep, I'm just trying to clear up "whodunnit" before the arrival of the swathe of people living in Ireland complaining it was overhyped!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭squarecircles

dead calm,here in mayo,for a change.
    ahh,squabbling over the storm naming,
    really feels like autumn now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭squarecircles

STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Donegal, Leitrim, Mayo and Sligo
    Heavy rain with locally thundery bursts developing today, turning more showery tonight and for tomorrow with totals 25 to 40 mm in parts.

Issued:Tuesday 12 September 2017 13:00
    Valid:Tuesday 12 September 2017 14:00 to Wednesday 13 September 2017 14:00

Wind hasn't lived up to expectations at all yet.

Cork and Shannon have both stayed below 15kts and no gusts, while both forecasts have it above 20kts and gusts of 35-38kts.

Here the wind is a solid 10kts with a max gust all day of 16kts.

Rain is the main feature, and that's 3.2mm.

Yeah nearly dead calm here since lunchtime, unusual

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Steady rain has reached Wexford. No real wind to speak of yet.

The Sind will be when the low moves through and wind backs NW

The Sind will be when the low moves through and wind backs NW

Think its delayed a bit, what do you think?

Corks supposed to be gusting up to 40kts, yet it's at 13kts.

What has gone so horribly wrong?

Think its delayed a bit, what do you think?

Cloud signature improving rapidly to the west of Ireland now. Will likely undergo rapid deepening in next few hours. Best estimate would be Leinster at greatest risk of severe gusts 9pm-3am. As low exits into Irish Sea, next few hours of sat and obs will be critical- looks nasty for parts of Britain.

• Advertisement

Rapid pressure drops in last hour , Shannon and Mace fallen 4hPa in one hour

Advertisement