Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wind Warning for Dublin, Wexford, Wicklow, Galway, Clare, Cork, Kerry, Limerick and W

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

fraxinus1 wrote: »
    Not a very good start to the storm forecasting season. I'm in Dublin visiting family and it's raining moderately heavy but completely calm. Even if the forecast did materialise I don't think it warranted a name... I know the UK met office decided to use the name but that to was premature. The usage of a name for a non - event makes the general public sceptical about the whole thing. It's getting like America, complete hype over Irma and in the end it was an average hurricane when it struck Florida.

Can we review your post in 24 hours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Rain has cleared Dublin 16 now (3.2mm from that) and wind has picked up noticeably in the last 30 minutes. Pressure dropping rapidly.
    Doc. I'm in Terenure very calm here and my place normally feels like a wind tunnel at the best of times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Gusting 47 knots at Valentia and still westerly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Darwin

The Arpege model seems to have a pretty good handle on things in these type of rapidly developing situations. I kept data from Storm Doris (Feb 21st last) and noted then it outperformed the GFS model for wind predictions. Hardly a puff of wind in West Laois, I think the centre of the low will be passing over this direction in the next few hours.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,155 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Doc. I'm in Terenure very calm here and my place normally feels like a wind tunnel at the best of times.

Quite calm again here now. Just a brief windy spell!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Quiet windy here in Mid-Kerry. Seems to be picking up momentum in the last 30 mins!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Yakult wrote: »
    Quiet windy here in Mid-Kerry. Seems to be picking up momentum in the last 30 mins!

Yea 10 min avg over 30 km/h now here near Tralee, gusting about 70 km/h, gone more NW.

Ballybunion Buoy 48Kts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

Within the last half an hour, winds have picked up drastically here in cork city. Some darkish clouds starting to appear too. Very strong gusts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Crazy wind here near Doneraile, mallow. Moved into this house 6 months ago and this is windiest it's been .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Almost calm here in north Wicklow. Only 2mm of rain recorded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Burts Bee wrote: »
    Crazy wind here near Doneraile, mallow. Moved into this house 6 months ago and this is windiest it's been .

Windiest it has been since Spring, who'd have thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

Strongest winds from storm Aileen likely as it moves into the north Sea tomorrow,impacting the Netherlands,northwest Germany and Denmark.looks like Ireland will dodge the worst of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Latest analysis from the Met:

WEB_Analysis.png?2029

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,229 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Aileen you've let me down! Max gust of 36kts and sustained winds not over 22kts. Winds calmed now to sustained 13kts and this looks like the end of the event.

When's Brian coming!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Very windy now near Cork city,really howling around the chimney.

Dropped away off here near Tralee also.

Met Eireann Report for 20.00

Knots

ROCHES POINT(A) W 26 Gust 43
    SHANNON AIRPORT SW 27 Gust 43
    SHERKIN ISLAND(A) W 31 Gust 44
    VALENTIA(A) NW 22 Gust 41

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Just 8.1mm of rain here in Waterford City with a max gust of 47km/h. Remains to be seen if we get higher gusts later.

www.waterfordweather.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭brevity

Burts Bee wrote: »

Same here in North Co, Cork

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Howling now in East Cork near the coast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,903 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

wind picking up here in waterford, 49 km/h gust on waterford city weather just there

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    wind picking up here in waterford, 49 km/h gust on waterford city weather just there

Yes regular gusts close to 50km/h now at my station in Waterford City

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Dead calm in Galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

I can report a chair blew over in the back garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭giveitholly

BillyBobBS wrote: »

wait until CNN hears this!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

km79 wrote: »
    Dead calm in Galway

2210 and it's eerily calm in East Clare too.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭4Ad

2210 and it's eerily calm in East Clare too.....

You made me stick my head outside, also in East Clare, hardly a puff.
    May it stay that way !

km79 wrote: »
    Dead calm in Galway

When out for a smoke earlier, I could blow smoke rings without them breaking up.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,229 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Someone in Galway must be shooting at the storm ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Its usually a windy spot at the best of times but Kinsale energy was Gusting 61 knots(70MPH) at 9pm. Parts of the uk could easily see 80pmh gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

BillyBobBS wrote: »

Any people spotted swimming in the water?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Fairly blustery here in kildare at the minute

Rain is quite heavy too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Its got gusty here in the last few minutes.
    Come on Aileen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭pad199207

Very windy here in Kildare now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Gone very windy in South KK the last half hour

Coming up to the anniversary of 'Hurricane Debbie' which occurred back in '61:

plk9Epz.png

Not a patch on Aileen though. :rolleyes:

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's a bit windy and wet but nothing more than what you'd routinely see in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Wind picked up in Kildare though nowhere near as bad as on Sunday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I'm kind of enjoying the wind and rain, but wish it was a bit more apocalyptic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Liverpool TAF:
    TAF AMD EGGP 122142Z 1221/1318 16018G30KT 9999 SCT025
    TEMPO 1221/1318 4000 SHRA BKN012
    BECMG 1222/1301 27030G45KT
    PROB40 TEMPO 1222/1303 24040G60KT
    BECMG 1303/1306 27025G35KT
    BECMG 1308/1311 27015G25KT
    BECMG 1315/1318 27010KT

63km/h now the Max gust here in Waterford City
    Pressure min was 989mb but is rising now to a current 993mb
    www.waterfordweather.com
    www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

It's only got noticeably windy here in the Arklow area in the last half hour or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

Met Eireann forecast downgraded significantly. The whole thing has been a farce. Forget about the UK, before the name Aileen was used, the met eireann forecast was mentioning severe winds. Barely a gale. This kind of hype is what allows the media to exaggerate and run incorrect stories about weather events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭pad199207

Bottomed out at 987mb here

• Advertisement

Met Eireann forecast downgraded significantly. The whole thing has been a farce. Forget about the UK, before the name Aileen was used, the met eireann forecast was mentioning severe winds. Barely a gale. This kind of hype is what allows the media to exaggerate and run incorrect stories about weather events.

Didn't take long for this kind of post to pop up! Where was your meteorological expertise reading the charts yesterday when the wind warning was issued?

It's so easy for posters to come on here when a marginal forecast ends up being incorrect and give it all the "hype" nonsense, but they rarely want to stick their necks out and actually make some predictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Well, all day the Beeb forecasts were mentioning windy condtions hitting North Wales and NW England. Those winds could only come from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

MJohnston wrote: »
    Didn't take long for this kind of post to pop up! Where was your meteorological expertise reading the charts yesterday when the wind warning was issued?

It's so easy for posters to come on here when a marginal forecast ends up being incorrect and give it all the "hype" nonsense, but they rarely want to stick their necks out and actually make some predictions.

They could be accused of egotism if they did...

They could be accused of egotism if they did...

That weren't me!

• Advertisement
Advertisement