Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Werewolf Game Mod FAQ & Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

I am happy to help with tutorials and also I'm usually available to jump in to help with modding if required, especially the technical aspects. I spend half my week training people on new software and creating tutorials! :P

I think a good idea too would be almost like a checklist for mods of stuff that they need to do. I had a basic version drafted when I was working with Cross, and that helped to keep us on track, at least for the setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Cool we should draw one up is right, great idea!

Where do you start? Theme I guess

Cool we should draw one up is right, great idea!

Where do you start? Theme I guess

For our game, anon accounts weren't an option, so here would be my game mod starter question pack. I think they need to be done in that order too, theme wouldn't be the most important thing to decide on in my mind. Happy to hear other opinions on that though. Here's my draft list.

Initial Mechanics - Agree on these before proceeding!
    • Where will the game be played: On Boards.ie or on Changeofplan?
    • Will players use anonymous accounts, or their own names for the main game?
    • How will voting be handled - on thread, via Google forms, via poll or other. Can players change their votes or not?
    • How will deaths be handled - reveal role, limited reveal (i.e. goodie or baddie), or no reveal at all?
    • How will roles be assigned - mods randomise, mods hand pick, players can pick or other.
    • Are you capping players at a certain number, and if so, what is that number?
    • What dates (roughly) will the game be played?
    • Agree on times for lynch and munch.

Becoming Modulators
    • Get admin access to Changeofplan for you and any co-mods
    • Create a new staff room and restrict permissions to you and any co-mods. (Optional step- people may use CoP or any other tool they deem necessary for game modding e.g. Skype or Slack etc.)
    • Build your dead room and create a dead room permission group. This is good practise for later.
    • Get the keys of the WW GM account if required. Change the password. Note the new password in newly created staff room or wherever else you're doing your planning.
    • At some point, start a sign-up thread or date poll for your game. It is now real.
    • Congrats, you are now modulators. Exclaim in delight. Now, panic.

Theme Development
    • What theme, if any, will be used?
    • How many baddie groups will there be? i.e. 2 packs of wolves and an SK etc.
    • Excluding any special powers, how many kills do each group get, and when. (i.e. Wolf gangs get a kill every night, or SK gets a kill every second lynch etc.)
    • What kinds of power roles are you interested in including (e.g. priest, seer, bodyguard etc.) - These may change or be tweaked later when it comes to balancing.
    • If using a theme, are there any characters that you can now assign against power roles and baddies(e.g. Chief Wiggum = cop/seer).
    • Start considering overall flavour at this point - what situation sparks the impeding massacre.
    • Determine your win conditions. How can each group win the game?

Start building
    • Now that you've an idea of flavour, start by drafting the OP. This gives you a chance to think about roles and rules. A good start is by copying the rules part of another game and using that as a starting point.
    • Consider how many rooms you'll need. E.g wolf room 1, wolf room 2, seer room etc. Start building these out, and the corresponding permissions groups.
    • Create or "borrow" a test user on changeofplan to start testing permissions.
    • Build a google form for voting if required. Ensure you give access to co-mods, can open/close and can export to google sheets for easy access. (Should probo tutorial this too).
    • Start balancing the game - (probo need to do a whole seperate section on this tbh). Confirm up all the roles and their powers if any. Update OP as required.

Prepare for launch - The day before
    • You should now have a pretty solid OP and set of rules and roles. You should also have a date, and a player list.
    • Assign roles to players
    • Create a timeplan of what actions happen when. E.g.
      • At any time: bullet(s) can be used
      • 8:50am: Prepare munch notice
      • 9:00am: Check rooms for last minute changes, and post munch notice. PM dead players that they're dead and grant deadroom access. Remove dead players from the lynch form and open form.
      • etc...
    • Roughly divide out who will do what - e.g. one mod manages permissions, one writes the flavour etc.
    • Create a spreadsheet/list with each player name, the role they've been assigned, any anon name if required, and the lynch codeword if required. Also make it easy on yourself and list if these players are dead or alive.
    • Create draft PM text, remembering to include the lynch form link.

Game day
    • Send player PMs, ensuring usernames are accurate! E.g. raze_them_all_
    • Post OP
    • Try not to panic, and try to have fun!

I've probably forgotten loads above because that was basically a stream of consciousness, but hopefully that'll be a base!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I made a tutorial on setting up permissions but I have since lost it. It would have been posted in the mod forum for one of the games on the back room. I had screen shots with instructions on how to do it all.

That's serious Maha

I'll base the tutorials off being able to do everything in the checklist I think, and take further suggestions from there

• Advertisement

Like I said, hopefully it's a good base.
    Happy to help with creating any tutorials, just let me know. Also happy to review any tutorials ye come up with to get a second pair of eyes on em! :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

This is a great thread. Thanks guys for helping out us newbies. I'm planning way too far ahead I know for October but between myself and Pter we've built the game basics at least.

Now it's been sent on to Tigger to see can he break it before we finalise the minute details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

For anyone who want to start creating tutorials, please check out psr.exe. It is part of windows since windows 7 or before.
    Get yourself ready to run through what you are about to tutorial, start psr.exe Click start record. Do the items you want tutorialized. once finished, click stop recording. Then use the document that has been created automagically as a starting point for your tutorial. Hope this tidbit saves some time for some of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

sKeith wrote: »
    For anyone who want to start creating tutorials, please check out psr.exe. It is part of windows since windows 7 or before.
    Get yourself ready to run through what you are about to tutorial, start psr.exe Click start record. Do the items you want tutorialized. once finished, click stop recording. Then use the document that has been created automagically as a starting point for your tutorial. Hope this tidbit saves some time for some of you.

Wow thats deadly. They have that tucked away well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'm by no means experienced at modding but I learned a lot modding the Simpsons game with mahama who (as you can see) is very organised and on top of things.

I'm certainly able to jump in and mod at short notice most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

For our game, anon accounts weren't an option, so here would be my game mod starter question pack. I think they need to be done in that order too, theme wouldn't be the most important thing to decide on in my mind. Happy to hear other opinions on that though. Here's my draft list.

Initial Mechanics - Agree on these before proceeding!
    • Where will the game be played: On Boards.ie or on Changeofplan?
    • Will players use anonymous accounts, or their own names for the main game?
    • How will voting be handled - on thread, via Google forms, via poll or other. Can players change their votes or not?
    • How will deaths be handled - reveal role, limited reveal (i.e. goodie or baddie), or no reveal at all?
    • How will roles be assigned - mods randomise, mods hand pick, players can pick or other.
    • Are you capping players at a certain number, and if so, what is that number?
    • What dates (roughly) will the game be played?
    • Agree on times for lynch and munch.

Becoming Modulators
    • Get admin access to Changeofplan for you and any co-mods
    • Create a new staff room and restrict permissions to you and any co-mods. (Optional step- people may use CoP or any other tool they deem necessary for game modding e.g. Skype or Slack etc.)
    • Build your dead room and create a dead room permission group. This is good practise for later.
    • Get the keys of the WW GM account if required. Change the password. Note the new password in newly created staff room or wherever else you're doing your planning.
    • At some point, start a sign-up thread or date poll for your game. It is now real.
    • Congrats, you are now modulators. Exclaim in delight. Now, panic.

Theme Development
    • What theme, if any, will be used?
    • How many baddie groups will there be? i.e. 2 packs of wolves and an SK etc.
    • Excluding any special powers, how many kills do each group get, and when. (i.e. Wolf gangs get a kill every night, or SK gets a kill every second lynch etc.)
    • What kinds of power roles are you interested in including (e.g. priest, seer, bodyguard etc.) - These may change or be tweaked later when it comes to balancing.
    • If using a theme, are there any characters that you can now assign against power roles and baddies(e.g. Chief Wiggum = cop/seer).
    • Start considering overall flavour at this point - what situation sparks the impeding massacre.
    • Determine your win conditions. How can each group win the game?

Start building
    • Now that you've an idea of flavour, start by drafting the OP. This gives you a chance to think about roles and rules. A good start is by copying the rules part of another game and using that as a starting point.
    • Consider how many rooms you'll need. E.g wolf room 1, wolf room 2, seer room etc. Start building these out, and the corresponding permissions groups.
    • Create or "borrow" a test user on changeofplan to start testing permissions.
    • Build a google form for voting if required. Ensure you give access to co-mods, can open/close and can export to google sheets for easy access. (Should probo tutorial this too).
    • Start balancing the game - (probo need to do a whole seperate section on this tbh). Confirm up all the roles and their powers if any. Update OP as required.

Prepare for launch - The day before
    • You should now have a pretty solid OP and set of rules and roles. You should also have a date, and a player list.
    • Assign roles to players
    • Create a timeplan of what actions happen when. E.g.
      • At any time: bullet(s) can be used
      • 8:50am: Prepare munch notice
      • 9:00am: Check rooms for last minute changes, and post munch notice. PM dead players that they're dead and grant deadroom access. Remove dead players from the lynch form and open form.
      • etc...
    • Roughly divide out who will do what - e.g. one mod manages permissions, one writes the flavour etc.
    • Create a spreadsheet/list with each player name, the role they've been assigned, any anon name if required, and the lynch codeword if required. Also make it easy on yourself and list if these players are dead or alive.
    • Create draft PM text, remembering to include the lynch form link.

Game day
    • Send player PMs, ensuring usernames are accurate! E.g. raze_them_all_
    • Post OP
    • Try not to panic, and try to have fun!

I've probably forgotten loads above because that was basically a stream of consciousness, but hopefully that'll be a base!

Or just use Skype

Tigger wrote: »
    Or just use Skype

I did mention Skype in there...... :P

crosstownk wrote: »
    I'm by no means experienced at modding but I learned a lot modding the Simpsons game with mahama who (as you can see) is very organised and on top of things.

I'm certainly able to jump in and mod at short notice most of the time.

Ta Cross! :) Wouldn't consider myself as very organised but I think it's defo easier to make this list in retrospect! :) The tech side I find easy, tis just the keeping calm when **** is in motion that I need you for! :)<3

the keeping calm when **** is in motion that I need you for! :)<3

I just sit back and say "well it's happened but how do I fix it". Keep things fair and don't make rash decisions. And above all, it's only a game.

I wreck peoples heads in work by staying calm and not reacting to situations. When I say "let me think about this for a few minutes" they get even more stressed :D

But if technology crashes or doesn't do what it's supposed to then I'm liable to fcuk the device across the room. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Guys this thread is amazing. Maha I'll be using your list for the August game! Perfect timing!

I made a quick randomizer for boards names / anon accounts and roles.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14uxlwrC4fDxioAeSWHzpsr_fqFxpIiLDuEKvuBYfoXY/edit?usp=sharing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I'd love To Help, really would, but I've a young baby who is a bit unwell these days. But on road to recovery!!!

I just about get time to play the game, which is why my posting can be to scatter brained or all around the same time.

When he gets older, I'll definitely be able to help out :)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14uxlwrC4fDxioAeSWHzpsr_fqFxpIiLDuEKvuBYfoXY/edit?usp=sharing

You're fierce handy to have around! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Its not working for me :( Nothing happens when i fill it out and click randomize.

Pter wrote: »
    Its not working for me :( Nothing happens when i fill it out and click randomize.

Really. Let me test it on another machine.

It works in FF & chrome, doesn't seem to work on my phone though.

• Advertisement

I'd love To Help, really would, but I've a young baby who is a bit unwell these days. But on road to recovery!!!

I just about get time to play the game, which is why my posting can be to scatter brained or all around the same time.

When he gets older, I'll definitely be able to help out :)

All banter aside I hope your kid is ok and as much as I pray I'll pray for them.

When he gets older,

When he gets older you can tell him that Daddy is Thor :D

Has anyone anything they'd like a tutorial made on, or think needs one?

resolving ac circuts

resolving ac circuts

I want it on my desk 9am Monday morning.

I want it on my desk 9am Monday morning.

It's do tv irk my brays

It's do tv irk my brays

I think I understand this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭MrsFlushdraw

Hey there, I am just seeing this thread. I JUST a few minutes ago posted a list of all the people who have played WW on boards. I will copy the list here is anyone wants it. May be handy also for subs etc.
    Great idea, not read it all through yet on the replies.

A Neurotic
    Amandadon
    andy125
    AnLachaCorcra
    avork
    Barney92
    Beakerjoe
    boneyarsebogman
    cdaly_
    cee_jay
    Chagan
    charolais0153
    crosstownk
    crowseye
    D0NNELLY
    Dan man
    degrassinoel
    Deoxygenated
    Digital Solitude
    dobman88
    Drumpot
    Ectoplasm
    El Hombre
    Ficheall
    Fleawuss
    Grumpylumpy
    gufc21
    Homer J Fong
    JasonS246
    Jayop
    KERSPLAT!
    Kolido
    Kylo Ren
    Lord TSC
    Loughc
    mahamageehad
    Maximus Alexander
    MicksJaguar
    Mollyb60
    MrsFlushdraw
    Necrominus
    Nopeare
    Paddy Cow
    partyjungle
    Pawwed Rig
    Persepoly
    Poochie05
    Pter
    Quickbeam
    Raze_them_all
    Shane.C
    ShatterProof
    sKeith
    Strawberry Milkshake
    suffering golfer
    sullivlo
    The Dazzler
    The_Valeyard
    Tigger
    Triceratops Ballet
    tritium
    Uriel.
    Xaracatz
    y0ssar1an22

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Definitely need a tutorial on how to set up the google form! I haven't a notion how to do it.

• Advertisement

Basics of Managing Permissions
    1) Visit "Admin CP" up top
    2) Login, and navigate to "Forums & Posts"
    3) Navigate to the forum you wish to edit permissions for, and click "Options" on the right hand side
    4) Click "Permissions"
    5) Find the User Group you wish to edit permissions for
    6) Click "Set Custom Permissions"/"Edit Permissions"
    7) Scroll to the bottom and select "Save Custom Permissions"

Quickly Managing New Accounts
    1) Enter Admin CP
    2) Select "Users & Groups"
    3) Select "Groups" from the list on the left hand side
    4) "Add New User Group", name it something useful, like "WW XV Wolves"
    5) Select "Users" from the list on the left hand side
    6) Select "Create New User"
    7) When creating account, set "Primary User Group" to whichever groups necessary
    8) See above to change User Group Permissions

Change an Accounts Usergroup
    1) Enter Admin CP
    2) Navigate to "Users & Groups"
    3) Click the tickbox for any accounts you wish to edit the usergroup for.
    4) Scroll to the bottom of the page, click the dropdown box to the right and select "Change Users Usergroup"
    5) Click "Go"
    6) Set Primary and Secondary Usergroups
    7) Save Changes

Google Form
    1) I'll set up a template later on when I get the laptop. Basically you need three questions, Username and Voting Code (both Short Answers), and the Lynch Vote, which is Multiple Choice.
    2) Click "Responses"
    3) Click the Green "Create Spreadsheet" button. Now all votes will go into this spreadsheet automatically.
    4) After the voting has closed, click the three dots beside the "Create Spreadsheet" button, and "Download Responses/Spreadsheet"
    5) Now, click "Unlink Spreadsheet"
    6) Now, "Delete All Responses"
    7) When voting reopens, Create a new spreadsheet for that day.
    8) Repeat Daily to get a new spreadsheet for each day

I'll expand on these when I get back in Ireland, I've only a ****ty Linux laptop atm

Advertisement