Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

^^^^^

All of your considerations are based on the understanding that the purpose of the tax bill was to strengthen the American economy.

If you think the purpose was to provide a windfall for large businesses and wealthy individuals, provide some crumbs for middle class to appease them ahead of mid-terms and then 2020 and to provide soundbites to pro-Trump media, it is very straightforward.

Donald J Trump could not care less as to long term prospects of the nation beyond his term (s) (perish the thought).

America is showing itself to be incapable of electing a president, Senate and house who cares more about the country than their own pockets or more presciently, those of their donors.

At least in Ireland, multi-party representation allows for a broader interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Trump tweeting about climate change while playing golf in Florida, what do you do with this level of wilful ignorance?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/946531657229701120

He has to be the most ignorant buffoon of an educated man that has ever graced politics in any democracy ever. ok maybe also Danny Healy Rae :p but I'm giving him a pass because he never went to an Ivy League college.

The NYT interviewed him yesterday and here is the transcript of that interview, https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/28/us/politics/trump-interview-excerpts.html

Its a hard read because one, its the ramblings of narcissistic egomaniac who has no concept of what is real and lies and it was held in a bar in Mar-A-Largo so the transcript is missing words here and there

One particular quote that made me giggle is what he said of the Chinese President Xi. "He treated me better than anybody’s ever been treated in the history of China. You know that."

In the History of China............My wish for the new year is obviously for him and his cronies, Jnr, Kusher, Millar, Sessions, etc etc to get prosecuted and kicked out sooner rather than later. I have no doubt that they will get done but I'm hoping that it will be done ASAP because he is doing real damage to Middle East peace and in Korea who knows what the F**k he will do here.

I also pity the poor in America because they are staring down the barrel of "entitlement" reform (don't like that word) and having their medical insurance taken off them along with lots of other things. I pity immigrants in America who face deportation, very sad considering America is built on immigrants. And obviously is you are colored because Trump is a proven racist you cannot expect any help from this admin.

Hopefully the electorate will wake up especially the minorities as proven in Alabama and the GOP will be wiped out in November.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Trump has a new Enemy.....Wait for it The US POST OFFICE.....

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/946728546633953285

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 7,504 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

ECO_Mental wrote: »

Who knows? Maybe Jeff Bezos is about to have a bad year....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Why does he ask Twitter? I mean he is POTUS, he can simply call up the head of USPS and ask them.

A leader with no answers. How brilliant for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Who knows? Maybe Jeff Bezos is about to have a bad year....

Well, Bezos is the "failing" Washington Post's owner, you might be onto something there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Trump tweeting about climate change while playing golf in Florida, what do you do with this level of wilful ignorance?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/946531657229701120

Meanwhile Trump's golf course in Doonbeg Co. Clare has been granted permission to build a sea wall to protect the golf course from rising sea levels and increasingly powerful storms associated with climate change.

Trump is prepared to spend 10 million to protect his asset from global warming, but doesn't seem to care about the untold millions of people who could have their property and homes destroyed by that same sea level rise that he is making worse by opening up more land to oil exploration and pulling back on commitments to reduce US CO2 emissions.

Akrasia wrote: »
    Meanwhile Trump's golf course in Doonbeg Co. Clare has been granted permission to build a sea wall to protect the golf course from rising sea levels and increasingly powerful storms associated with climate change.

Trump is prepared to spend 10 million to protect his asset from global warming, but doesn't seem to care about the untold millions of people who could have their property and homes destroyed by that same sea level rise that he is making worse by opening up more land to oil exploration and pulling back on commitments to reduce US CO2 emissions.

Its obvious the guy is trolling, in this and many of his tweets. He knows that it plays out as smart to his base, with the added benefit of driving all the lefties crazy.

They instantly retort with facts and figures, as if he is even interested in a discussion. It comes from his entitled life. He gets whatever he wants regardless of how people feel.

The change is that his decisions now have an impact not only on the entire US, but the world. But he doesn't think like that. He only thinks about what satisfies himself.

The Jerusalem move. IMO, he doesn't really care, but what he does like is that he is being different, he is making the change. People will talk about him because of it.

The Tax reform. Again all about him. 1st what he saves for himself and his family (widening the already generous inheritance tax bands), then what he can save for the people he knows (corporate America). That is might have some short term tax advantage to the middle class is a bonus, but IMO has only come about because it was necessary to get to other tax deductions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭Odhinn

He has to be the most ignorant buffoon of an educated man that has ever graced politics in any democracy ever. ok maybe also Danny Healy Rae :p but I'm giving him a pass because he never went to an Ivy League college.

The NYT interviewed him yesterday and here is the transcript of that interview, https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/28/us/politics/trump-interview-excerpts.html

Its a hard read because one, its the ramblings of narcissistic egomaniac who has no concept of what is real and lies and it was held in a bar in Mar-A-Largo so the transcript is missing words here and there

One particular quote that made me giggle is what he said of the Chinese President Xi. "He treated me better than anybody’s ever been treated in the history of China. You know that."

In the History of China............My wish for the new year is obviously for him and his cronies, Jnr, Kusher, Millar, Sessions, etc etc to get prosecuted and kicked out sooner rather than later. I have no doubt that they will get done but I'm hoping that it will be done ASAP because he is doing real damage to Middle East peace and in Korea who knows what the F**k he will do here.

.........................().

After this, its hard to imagine worse

"He represents China, I represent the USA, so, you know, there’s going to always be conflict. But we have a very good relationship. People say we have the best relationship of any president-president, because he’s called president also,” Trump told Fox Business Network’s Lou Dobbs in an interview that aired Wednesday night.

“Now some people might call him the king of China,” Trump continued. “But he’s called president. But we have a very good relationship and that’s a positive thing.”
    http://time.com/4998720/donald-trump-kind-china-xi-jinping/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,968 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

/\

It's like Lionel Hutz was made President.

• Advertisement

Tony EH wrote: »
    /\

It's like Lionel Hutz was made President.

I might suggest going to youtube and looking for Trump quotes as read by Zap Brannigan. I'd link but they may dissapprove.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Akrasia wrote: »
    Erosion around the coast in nothing new. Its how cliffs form. It has nothing to do with climate change.
    But yeah, I've seen that story doing the rounds. Another classic fake news factoid involving DT, as beloved by the shallow media.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,624 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Reading trumps answers in that ny times article is painful. Can the man not keep to one answer ? He goes all over the place and said three times that he didn't think Roy Moore would win in the same answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

recedite wrote: »
    Erosion around the coast in nothing new. Its how cliffs form. It has nothing to do with climate change.
    But yeah, I've seen that story doing the rounds. Another classic fake news factoid involving DT, as beloved by the shallow media.

Except that Trump Hotel and golf course used climate change as a justification in their planning application.

http://www.clarecoco.ie/idocswebDPSS/ViewFiles.aspx?docid=356317&format=jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Was climate change mentioned by Clare Co Co in the decision to grant permission?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭eire4

^^^^^

All of your considerations are based on the understanding that the purpose of the tax bill was to strengthen the American economy.

If you think the purpose was to provide a windfall for large businesses and wealthy individuals, provide some crumbs for middle class to appease them ahead of mid-terms and then 2020 and to provide soundbites to pro-Trump media, it is very straightforward.

Donald J Trump could not care less as to long term prospects of the nation beyond his term (s) (perish the thought).

America is showing itself to be incapable of electing a president, Senate and house who cares more about the country than their own pockets or more presciently, those of their donors.

At least in Ireland, multi-party representation allows for a broader interest.

Your last line is a key there. But in the US that does not exist and that is because the US system is broken and at this point completely corrupted.
    Turnout at the last presidential election was 54% and at the last midterms 33% so in short the congress and president that are supposed to represent the US people actually are only elected with the votes of less then half the population. Now some of that is due to rampant voter suppression, corrupt purging of voter roles, gerrymandering of congressional districts etc
    But the reality is most of the reason is the system is completely broken and corrupt and a large chunk of Americans have simply given up as the US really is arguably an oligarchy now rather then a democracy and one that is becoming to an extent more and more authoritarian at that as well.

At the local and state as well as federal level there are various laws in place to prevent any alternatives emerging on a national level. Thus the American people are left with 2 corrupt parties. One the Republican party that is completely beholden to the very wealthy and major corporations and another in the Democratic Party that is also beholden to various interest groups. The horrific supreme court decisions on citizens united has meant that wealthy individuals and major corporations can bribe and buy off politicians with impunity and to pretty much an unlimited degree.

In short the US is IMHO not a democracy but an oligarchy where the government has been seized by the wealthy and major corporations to work for them rather then the American people as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Wildlife Actor

recedite wrote: »
    Was climate change mentioned by Clare Co Co in the decision to grant permission?

You're the one who called "factoid" so why are you asking?

As I've no life I went a few pages in to that report and found that the erosion was blamed on rising sea levels and increased Atlantic storminess.

Still a" factoid"?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,714 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You're the one who called "factoid" so why are you asking?

As I've no life I went a few pages in to that report and found that the erosion was blamed on rising sea levels and increased Atlantic storminess.

Still a" factoid"?

He won't care.he will leg it off for a while then come back in when the topic is changed .

It's quite obvious trump uses things when it suits him and goes against when it doesn't suit him. everything he ever does is for the betterment of trump and trump only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

lots of media outlets talking about trump's mental health after that NYT article. honestly i have no time for that kind of stuff. it's the kind of thing we used to be disgusted about coming from the right about hilary. i read the interview, he's as moronic and babbling as he's always been. i don't see any dramatic decline in his mental faculties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

froog wrote: »
    lots of media outlets talking about trump's mental health after that NYT article. honestly i have no time for that kind of stuff. it's the kind of thing we used to be disgusted about coming from the right about hilary. i read the interview, he's as moronic and babbling as he's always been. i don't see any dramatic decline in his mental faculties.

The difference is Hilary actually collapsed in public while running so they had a valid cause for concern if she became President. Either way it doesn't matter, if Trumps actions and thoughts right now are him being mentally fit then I'd hate to see how he acts if he does start losing his bearings. It's also noteworthy to mention that him and Reagan were both roughly the same age when they became President and Reagan began showing signs of Alzheimer's disease by the end of his first term. Trump also has an increased risk to it due to his weight and lack of exercise compared to Reagan (Golf isn't exactly the best exercise)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

RobertKK wrote: »
    You mean the Obama administration didn’t with Syria, Libya, Yemen, Honduras, Russia, China etc.
    The Obama administration gave us the migrant crisis in Europe, North Africa and the Middle East.
    The rise of ISIS and increased terrorism.

At least you aren't trying to deny that Trump isn't in fact a great person in brining world peace.

If only someone had warned you previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    The difference is Hilary actually collapsed in public while running so they had a valid cause for concern if she became President.

Really? Trump has signs of dementia and alzheimers but woe betide the president who cannot run a 10 minute mile. Even if she needed a lung transplant she'd have been a better choice than Trump in terms of health.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

i don't see any dramatic decline in his mental faculties.

Neither do I. He was evidently a narcissistic sociopath as a candidate; now he's evidently a narcissistic sociopath as President.

As I keep saying, the only way to make perfect sense of anything Trump says is to remember that he's insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

SeamusFX wrote: »
    Gaddafi was a nightmare and he should have been overthrown. Maybe his death lead to slave trade, but the alternative was wholesale massacres of innocent civilians. The Obama administration saved the lives of thousands of people.

Gaddafi was not going to massacre thousands of civilians. Although he was certainly a dictator, he was not an especially brutal one and the House of Commons Foreign Affairs Committee's report into the war found that based on the way he handled the uprising in February and March of 2011, the evidence was that he did not target civilians (paragraph 33 of the Report, available online).
    SeamusFX wrote: »
    Yes NATO and the US launched an operation in Libya hoping to save civilians in Benghazi and after Gaddafi was killed maybe the US and NATO should have stuck around to ensure stability, but Obama's hands were tied because the GOP and people like Trump were saying the US shouldn't have a role in Libya. I'm sorry, you can't have your bread buttered on both sides!

You can't have it both ways either. You blame Congress for tying Obama's hands on Libya to excuse the lack of involvement in reconstruction even though Obama did not secure congressional approval to bomb Libya in the first place.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

He's due for his 1st Annual Physical as POTUS in the new year at Bethesda Navy Hospital.

The convention is that the results are publicly released - If they are released it might be interesting to compare them to the ones that his "personal physician" gave due the election , the ones that claimed "without question he'll be the healthiest person to ever be elected President"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    He's due for his 1st Annual Physical as POTUS in the new year at Bethesda Navy Hospital.

The convention is that the results are publicly released...
    So he won't be releasing them, even if it turns out he is legally bound to, and we all know this, and we all know why.

The convention is that the results are publicly released - If they are released it might be interesting to compare them to the ones that his "personal physician" gave due the election , the ones that claimed "without question he'll be the healthiest person to ever be elected President"

Unless it is written in statute I wouldn't place too much faith in Trump sticking to it.

Jonathon Freedland https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/dec/30/trump-us-constitution-weakness-founding-fathers gives a good summation of the weaknesses in the political set up in the US at the present time.

Without a House/Senate willing to focus on the needs of the country rather than the party, and within rules written into statute, the obligations of POTUS are in some ways down to the moral standing of the POTUS.

So if the results are now 'the best POTUS ever' then they will either change them to that or simply SHS will say that everything was perfect and that they can't be released as they are being audited or some other made up thing.

And his supporters will cheer that he is sticking it, yet again, to the swamp. Because, although they didn't know before, they now know that what really holds back POTUS is having to declare his conflicts of interests and publish his tax returns!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Does he get to select which doctor performs the medical. If so, you could just end up with the same rubbish being published about him being the fittest president ever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

Does he get to select which doctor performs the medical. If so, you could just end up with the same rubbish being published about him being the fittest president ever

The President's Physician has to do. This is him below, Trump couldn't get him to fake a thing I'd say.
    http://www.navy.mil/navydata/bios/bio.asp?bioID=953

• Advertisement

pitifulgod wrote: »
    The President's Physician has to do. This is him below, Trump couldn't get him to fake a thing I'd say.
    http://www.navy.mil/navydata/bios/bio.asp?bioID=953

His career may well be a short one in that instance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement