Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why can't we leave the clocks on summertime year round?

Options
  • 26-10-2016 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭

Right so this Saturday night the clocks go back an hour.
    Why do we have to do this?
    Does this happen all over the world this weekend?

I get the argument that it was to help schoolchildren get to school in the mornings. But that was when most children walked or cycled to school.
    Nowadays kids are driven to school by their parents or schoolbus.

Are there any other reasons why the clocks have to go back an hour?

Can we just not leave it the way it is.
    I like my bright evenings.:mad:

Should we leave the clocks on summertime? 214 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    72% 156 votes
    Don't know
    27% 58 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

You can, don't change them and get up an hour earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Afaik wintertime is normal time and summertime is the "special" adjustment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I don't know why we can't just put them back one hour every morning and then forward again in the evenings. That would give us brighter mornings and evenings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    You can, don't change them and get up an hour earlier.

Spring forward.
    Fall back.

Yea your dead right. But still.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

biko wrote:
    Afaik wintertime is normal time and summertime is the "special" adjustment.

Not in Ireland. We use IST (Irish Standard Time) in the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

We can. It's a really stupid convention, I'd love if we (and the rest of the Western world) dumped it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Spring forward.
    Fall back.

Yea your dead right. But still.

Fall Forward
    Spring Back

still sounds right doesn't it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Usually people go on about farmers being the reason for this. I really detest it. Dark at 5pm, it's horrible. I kind of like dark mornings however. If it is to do with farmers, can't they just adjust their working days?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Tornaxx

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Spring forward.
    Fall back.

Spring forward.
    Autumn back.

(Because I'm not American.)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,911 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Was away last week, and it got bright around 8am, dark at around the same time. Wonderful!

I think the mornings are too bright far too early here, and the evenings far too dark very early aswell.

Anyway, nothing we can do, it's not going to change.

A little more brightness in the evenings might help everyone especially those prone to Winter depression or SAD.

Still, the Winter is very short compared to Summer time. As soon as mid January is out of the way, it gets brighter by about 3 or 4 minutes every day, and you can see it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Usually people go on about farmers being the reason for this. I really detest it. Dark at 5pm, it's horrible. I kind of like dark mornings however. If it is to do with farmers, can't they just adjust their working days?

It never had anything to do with farmers, sure they have to work by natural light. The original purpose was to reduce fuel use in the evening

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭md23040

What annoys me most is that the clock goes back an hour 7 and a half weeks before the winter solstice or just before Christmas. So therefore logically the clocks should go forward 7.5 weeks after the winter solstice around the 17th of February.

But for some godforsaken reason it's left for another 5 weeks until the bloody last Sunday of March.

Going forward earlier would save a lot of home heating fuel bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,911 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Darker mornings and brighter evenings is what is needed.

Who do I petition for this please?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I can't wait. I much prefer waking up into brighter mornings. Otherwise you feel like you missed on about an hour of sleep.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

md23040 wrote: »
    What annoys me most is that the clock goes back an hour 7 and a half weeks before the winter solstice or just before Christmas. So therefore logically the clocks should go forward 7.5 weeks after the winter solstice around the 17th of February.

But for some godforsaken reason it's left for another 5 weeks until the bloody last Sunday of March.

Firstly, the day of latest sunrise is not actually December solstice but occurs about ten days later. Secondly, the rate by which sunrise gets earlier in the first few months of the year is less than the rate sunrise gets later in the last few months of the year.

The reason for this apparent asymmetry is because the length of a day varies throughout the year but we use a fixed average of 24 hours to keep time.

The good news is the evenings start getting longer from about the 12th December! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Can't someone just lob a (convex not concave) 'big mirror' up in the high atmosphere (non-geostationary).

Just to give NW Euro a bit more sunshine in the winter evenings, and therefore save us all getting the clocks off the wall. Not to mention alleviating the vitamin D deficiencies.

Additionally spraying some of the moon in a nano layer of silver or reflective particles might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Not in Ireland. We use IST (Irish Standard Time) in the summer.

IST is daylight savings time, Winter is GMT.

If we were to dispense with DST it would be GMT all year round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

8:58! First time I've ever been early for work! Except for all those daylight savings days, lousy farmers!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,024 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

goose2005 wrote: »
    It never had anything to do with farmers, sure they have to work by natural light. The original purpose was to reduce fuel use in the evening

If clocks were left forward the year round then farmers and other outdoor workers lose an hour in the morning, not to mention commuters. In some more northern areas sunrise wouldn't occur until close to 10AM at the most extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Because farmers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

We should just work shorter days in Winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

We should just work shorter days

Fyp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

goose2005 wrote: »

How would making the evenings dark one hour earlier reduce fuel use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

I'm a farmer and I want the time to stay as it is now and don't put it back an hour on Saturday.

Mods would it be possible to have a poll on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Vic_08 wrote:
    IST is daylight savings time, Winter is GMT.

Vic_08 wrote:
    If we were to dispense with DST it would be GMT all year round.

Officially speaking the Standard Time Act of 1968 states that time in the State shall be one hour in advance of GMT throughout the year. The 1971 amendment to the Act requires that GMT be followed during the winter. It all amounts to the same thing, but legally we are one hour behind standard time in the winter whereas the UK is one hour ahead of it's standard time in the summer. The same, but different. If we and the UK were to use only our legal standard times all year round we would be one hour ahead of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Tornaxx wrote: »
    Spring forward.
    Autumn back.

(Because I'm not American.)
    Spring forward.
    Fall back.

for me, 'cos...I'be a bleddy American to avoid making a memenomeneomic for the alternative :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Harvey Normal

md23040 wrote: »

That bugs me too. At least do it end February.

rizzodun wrote: »
    How would making the evenings dark one hour earlier reduce fuel use?

Winter time/GMT is the normal time*. IST was the addition which is what the poster you are responding to means.

*except of course real normal time would be GMT+30 mins in Dublin. More elsewhere.

Officially speaking the Standard Time Act of 1968 states that time in the State shall be one hour in advance of GMT throughout the year. The 1971 amendment to the Act requires that GMT be followed during the winter. It all amounts to the same thing, but legally we are one hour behind standard time in the winter whereas the UK is one hour ahead of it's standard time in the summer. The same, but different. If we and the UK were to use only our legal standard times all year round we would be one hour ahead of them.

Wow. Didn't know that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭BabyE

Is there a more depressing place in the world than NW Europe for the next 4 months? Its **** everywhere, London, Paris, Dublin, Amsterdam, Brussels, you name it.

Advertisement