Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Heavy Rainfall in Kerry - 02nd to 04th Oct 2016

• 03-10-2016 5:46pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I just thought I would start a thread for the ongoing heavy rainfall event effecting Kerry and that will effect other western seaboard counties in the next 24 hours.

Weather Warnings From Met E:

STATUS ORANGE
    Rainfall Warning for Kerry
    60 to 80 mm of rainfall today, tonight and much of Tuesday with up to 100 mm possible in mountainous areas. Highest rainfall amounts in the west of the county.

Issued:Monday 03 October 2016 10:00
    Valid:Monday 03 October 2016 10:00 to Tuesday 04 October 2016 18:00

STATUS YELLOW
    Rainfall Warning for Galway, Mayo, Clare and Cork
    30 to 50 mm of rain today, tonight and much of Tuesday with up to 70 mm possible in mountainous areas. This warning is for western parts of the relevant counties.

Issued:Monday 03 October 2016 10:00
    Valid:Monday 03 October 2016 10:00 to Tuesday 04 October 2016 18:00

Some impressive totals already today reported from Valentia.

You can post your observations in this thread. General Autumn observations and comments (non rain event ones) can be kept to the other (Autumn) thread.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

( Thanks Doc, I'll move this in here to kick it off )

Rain lightened a bit in the late afternoon, steady moderate and at times heavy rain here now near Tralee, 18mm so far.

Very dull evening.

gM6ejcz.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Fairly persistent since around 3-4pm. Driveway fairly puddled.

Nice to have a big fire and a big cup of tea this evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Very dark most of the day in Castlebar, been raining since just after two, just under 10mm of rain so far.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

9.3mm reported in Valentia from 1900 to 2000. Must be the guts of 75mm (or more) there so far today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

68mm today so far,west cork 6.6 an hour at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Valentia now has 76.6mm in last 24 hours, a few reports of flooded roads in south kerry on Kerry County Council's twitter feed now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

DOCARCH wrote: »
    9.3mm reported in Valentia from 1900 to 2000. Must be the guts of 75mm (or more) there so far today.

Possibly another 80 mm + forecast by the models in the next 24 hrs for Valentia/ South Kerry :eek:

JoWud3S.gif

ddacMvM.png

Meanwhile coming up on 25mm here near Tralee

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭secman

Just curious, no posts from Graces7 in about 8 months ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,017 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Persistent rain in Castlebar together with a strong and gusty south easterly wind. the stove is on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭SeaFields

It has been bucketing down here all day (south Kerry ) . There seemed to be a lull around mid afternoon but after that normal service resumed . Very heavy altogether. Few people posting photos on Facebook of local flooding and the rivers and streams were well up when I went on a brief walk before dark. The last time it was this heavy / persistent we had a landslide on the Ring of Kerry hopefully no repeat of that tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭weisses

secman wrote: »
    Just curious, no posts from Graces7 in about 8 months ?

I think she got banned

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

11.0mm reported in Valentia from 2000 to 2100.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭SeaFields

DOCARCH wrote: »
    11.0mm reported in Valentia from 2000 to 2100.

Nearly half an inch in an hour! And it sounds just that outside. The 9-10 reading should be very similar I'm guessing.

I was looking at the met eireann website and see that most stations reporting 0.0mm for the same time period. Bizarre we are having such a deluge down here.

Edit - actually only 3.9 in the 22.00 update.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭pauldry

Valencia will have near 100mm in yesterdays weather tomorrow.

When did that last happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Just managing to stay away from the worst of it in East Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Lashing rain in Galway looking at the radar the worst is yet to come

• Registered Users Posts: 48,124 ✭✭✭✭km79

Just managing to stay away from the worst of it in East Galway.

yes it was forecast to be right over us a few days ago
    the ground would not have been able take a fraction of it
    hopefully a dry week to follow now too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Where's all this moisture coming from?
    Is it heat from Spain or warm seas or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

pauldry wrote: »
    Valencia will have near 100mm in yesterdays weather tomorrow.

When did that last happen.

Newport recorded nearly 80mm one day at last September year from a very similar set up to the current one:

sept1115.png

Not much happening here in Galway rain wise. Just some persistent light stuff.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Newport recorded nearly 80mm one day at last September year from a very similar set up to the current one:

sept1115.png

Not much happening here in Galway rain wise. Just some persistent light stuff.

That was September 11th, it was bad all around Mayo, Leenane got over 100mm on the same day in Galway.

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Where's all this moisture coming from?
    Is it heat from Spain or warm seas or what?

It's really just a typical front that has been prevented from pushing on the usual eastwards course by a building block of high pressure to the east and instead is being 'forced' to slide up the along west coast.

image.png

New Moon

weisses wrote: »
    I think she got banned

Can't see why she should have been banned but then again, I am not surprised... Giants like G7, Maq, Su, Iancar to name but a few all seem to have been banned or have just dwindled away. Something is amiss with this forum this last while.

New Moon

Can't see why she should have been banned but then again, I am not surprised... Giants like G7, Maq, Su, Iancar to name but a few all seem to have been banned or have just dwindled away. Something is amiss with this forum this last while.

G7 had more offence than is common.

There's a prison forum on the topic if you're interested.

It's not actually raining at the moment here in West Clare, has been torrential all evening though, not looking forward to the roads in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Still pi$$ing in Castlebar, and, according to the latest forecast, is likely to be at it for most of tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

Carnacalla wrote: »
    G7 had more offence than is common.

There's a prison forum on the topic if you're interested.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057567099

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Rougies

Some users ragequit and then reappear with a different username. It's understandable :P.

But I haven't seen Su's alias in a while and Maq seems to be missing alright. Iancar is still active, see the hurricane Matthew thread.

Rougies wrote: »
    Maq seems to be missing alright.

Left due to those major issues with Boards.is months back

Lashing here in West Clare, driveway very flooded!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,124 ✭✭✭✭km79

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Left due to those major issues with Boards.is months back

Lashing here in West Clare, driveway very flooded!

We got maybe 5mm out of this
    So lucky !

Advertisement