Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heavy Rainfall in Kerry - 02nd to 04th Oct 2016

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I don't recall anyone on here showing a lack of empathy last winter during those floods Arklow? I would love to see a F5 tornado, but that does not mean to say that I would like to see any one killed or have their homes damaged and livelihoods destroyed or anything. It is a weather forum, and as a dedicated 'community' we are going to have opinions like this, as paradoxical as they may be at face value.

Good,I'm glad you've clarified that,and anyway I'm no saint :p For as scarey and dangerous as lightning is,ya gotta love it
    Or piles and piles of snow despite hypothermia or misery for old people but I like to think we mitigate those by looking after each other

Rain is miserable though so borderline impossible for me or most people to like what it does when it piles up or like it at all unless there's lots of thunder of course
    One would soon lose patience with it if it's ones own roof that caves in under the snow or is flooded or struck by lightning etc which is where the empathy comes in also

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

ArKl0w wrote: »
    Rain is miserable though so borderline impossible for me or most people to like what it does when it piles up or like it at all unless there's lots of thunder of course

A nice cup of tea and a fire is just lovely when it rains:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

secman wrote: »
    "She doesn't seem well from those posts"
    Used to enjoy reading her descriptive posts, a bit of a character it seems, hopefully she is okay.

Well, she did get a "Come back to Boards"offer from one of the Chiefs and she has not replied. I really hope she is well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

ArKl0w wrote: »

I love a good downpour though because I love the rain. Not that type of rain that you can just about detect on your skin on a gloomy damp day, (I.E, the most common type of rain in this country) but the real thing which is why I enjoyed the rains of December last year immensely, though I do know all too well that this same event caused untold misery for many.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I miss both Grace and Syran'B's posts as well. They both made great posts. As for Syran B he always posted about his area but that was his opinion and his local knowledge, a few people where a bit harsh on him for posting his own viewpoint, he is entitled as everyone of us to post our own viewpoints. Hopefully both will be back here posting soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

I love a good downpour though because I love the rain. Not that type of rain that you can just about detect on your skin on a gloomy damp day, (I.E, the most common type of rain in this country) but the real thing which is why I enjoyed the rains of December last year immensely, though I do know all too well that this same event caused untold misery for many.

I understand where you're coming from. I really enjoyed October 2011 here in South Dublin. My main memory from it was going for a drive in the late evening (at the height of the event) to try to get some video footage of the flooding. But the mission quickly turned into more of a survival expedition and getting video footage was forgotten about. Absolute mayhem with impassable roads, rivers flowing down streets, fire engines all over the place pumping water, manhole covers dancing on the road with water bellowing out from underneath, and all the while rain smashing relentlessly against the windscreen making visibility terrible. It was a bad idea going out and I was glad to get home but it was an awesome experience.

http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/weather-events/HeavyRain241011.pdf

Unfortunately 2 people died and many people suffered property damage, so obviously I'd much prefer if the event never happened. But I still think it's ok that I enjoyed my personal experience of the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Carnacalla wrote: »
    A nice cup of tea and a fire is just lovely when it rains:D

Or if you're into whitewater canoeing, then you will always fancy a bit of rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Totofan99

Valentia Observatory sets a new record. 105.5mm in 24 hours.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/1004/821455-rain-west-counties/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

The banning of Graces7 is a miscarriage of justice. I do not believe that she recieved the amount of warnings etc as stated in the prison forum.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: Can we end discussion and speculation on other members here/now. It is not relevant to this forum.
    fraxinus1 wrote: »
    The banning of Graces7...

For the record, that particular member was not (permanently) banned...they have chosen (for whatever reason) not to post. In addition, that particular member was never banned or infracted on the weather forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Just checked my station and since 00:01 Monday 3rd Oct until 23:59 4th October ..we got 69mm of rain here in Mid Kerry

Makes a nice change to see a blue sky this morning

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Total of 162.0mm for Valentia between Sunday evening and yesterday evening (in approx. 48 hours).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Gerry Murphy on radio one this morning said one of the climate stations in Kerry recorded over 200mm of rain in the 36 hr period. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

This was a red warning level event for kerry

weisses wrote: »
    This was a red warning level event for kerry

How so?

Although the criteria are there, realistically the damage was minimal, so I don't think Red Criteria and all that is associated with it would have been correct. Some localised parts, which are well used to rain received alot.

If it was a widespread event, with rain of 200mm all over Kerry forecast meaning widespread flooding was possible then I'd imagine red would fit the equation.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    How so?

Although the criteria are there, realistically the damage was minimal, so I don't think Red Criteria and all that is associated with it would have been correct. Some localised parts, which are well used to rain received alot.

If it was a widespread event, with rain of 200mm all over Kerry forecast meaning widespread flooding was possible then I'd imagine red would fit the equation.

Saying the damage was minimal is a non runner

The criteria for red is 70 MM. in 24 hour and they forecasted an amount of up,to 150 MM ... Parts recorded over 200mm

What is next ? A Massive red level storm being downgraded to orange because they are used to that kind of weather in the west ?

There are clear criteria set for these levels .. They should not be subject to interpretation imo

weisses wrote: »
    Saying the damage was minimal is a non runner

The criteria for red is 70 MM. in 24 hour and they forecasted an amount of up,to 150 MM ... Parts recorded over 200mm

What is next ? A Massive red level storm being downgraded to orange because they are used to that kind of weather in the west ?

There are clear criteria set for these levels .. They should not be subject to interpretation imo

Missed my point completely

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Synoptic evolution (from Oct 1-4) of that front which brought those locally high rainfall totals to parts of Kerry - just to keep it on record like.

chartmo.gif

New Moon

Synoptic evolution (from Oct 1-4) of that front which brought those locally high rainfall totals to parts of Kerry - just to keep it on record like.

chartmo.gif

That will go next to the Darwin folder :D

Advertisement