Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

GRO Records

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Ok yes images from 1881 for deaths are now there but the 1966 images are still not.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Mollymoo19

I have images to 1879 (in Balrothery and Naas). 1878 is coming too - it's in the new format - but there's still an error loading the image. So exciting!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,545 ✭✭✭✭josip

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Ok yes images from 1881 for deaths are now there but the 1966 images are still not.

I got the images for my grandparents 1966 deaths (Jan & May) last night.

Ok, so the upload is not yet complete! Very exciting to see what else appears. I really didn't think we'd get any old deaths this time round.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭BowWow

??

Images for 1966 deaths are there - see posts 416 & 418.
    I've looked at images this morning.

• Advertisement

There's no point getting into an argument. Some of the 1966 deaths I looked at this morning did not have images. I was just selecting ones at random.

Claire Santry's report makes it clear that everything will be ironed out by the end of the day.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 13,545 ✭✭✭✭josip

There's no point getting into an argument. Some of the 1966 deaths I looked at this morning did not have images. I was just selecting ones at random.

Claire Santry's report makes it clear that everything will be ironed out by the end of the day.

Thanks, but just to manage expectations, from the report you linked.
    ...it is hoped all will be ironed out by the end of the day...

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Can anyone help me find the image of this death on Irishgenealogy? The image doesn't match the record.

Name Theobald Joseph Burke
    Event Type Death
    Event Date Jan - Mar 1945
    Registration Quarter and Year Jan - Mar 1945
    Registration District Kilmallock
    Age 63
    Birth Year (Estimated) 1882
    Volume Number 5
    Page Number 263
    GS Film number 101743
    Digital Folder Number 004202050
    Image Number 00013

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

montgo wrote: »
    Can anyone help me find the image of this death on Irishgenealogy? The image doesn't match the record.

Name Theobald Joseph Burke
    Event Type Death
    Event Date Jan - Mar 1945
    Registration Quarter and Year Jan - Mar 1945
    Registration District Kilmallock
    Age 63
    Birth Year (Estimated) 1882
    Volume Number 5
    Page Number 263
    GS Film number 101743
    Digital Folder Number 004202050
    Image Number 00013

Many thanks.

here you go.
    https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1945/04626/4228044.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Well done, I knew someone here would be able to locate it:) Many thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,288 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Boscod wrote: »
    Overall, Tadgh gave a very interesting talk...

It's on line now.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 17 blander

Hi,

Has anyone found a way to search these records by a specific date? I'm looking for the birth records for 3 ancestors in the Civil Registration District of Gort. I have baptism records for all of them so I know exactly when they were born, but nothing comes up when I search the civil records site.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭cobham

You could leave the first name empty and search on surnames for that year? maybe widen the area for registration district? I have a load born in Co Fermanagh but always to Ballyshannon in nearby county for registration.

A child might have been given a more religious name in the church ceremony for example all girls might have name 'Mary' as first name but with a second name by which they were known ... and may have been registered under?

Use the expanded search box to specify dates. You can leave the name blank or just put a first name.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

blander wrote: »
    Hi,

Has anyone found a way to search these records by a specific date? I'm looking for the birth records for 3 ancestors in the Civil Registration District of Gort. I have baptism records for all of them so I know exactly when they were born, but nothing comes up when I search the civil records site.
    Bear in mind that a baptism and birth for the same child could be days/weeks/months apart. I always search at least two years - the year of baptism plus one.

Thanks all. I've tried searching years around the baptism date, searching without a first name, and searching the neighboring registry districts with no luck. Maybe they were never civilly registered, or maybe they the documentation was lost?

Try the tip given by "oceanclub" in Post 351 in this thread - I've found it great.

Tip from 351
    oceanclub wrote: »
    Not sure if this is in the right place, but a tip for irishgenealogy.ie.

You can find all births for a particular pair of parents by putting both their surnames in the Surname field (separated by a space), and leaving the First Name field blank. Handy if you are trying to find children whose existence you don't know of or perhaps simply can't find their name under a common spelling.

This only works after a certain date when mother's former names were on the cert, mind (after 1900 or so).

P.

Thanks! I gave that a try and it brought up a sibling I had found previously. It doesn't have the image, though, and the note says "There is currently no image to display. This may be because the record was registered or amended in a later year, or there are quality issues with the original image."

Do you want to give us some names and dates to try?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,072 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Make sure to try even unlikely spellings of the surname.

Do you want to give us some names and dates to try?

Sure, if you don't mind:

Sarah Kelly born 08 August 1885
    Catherine Kelly and Teresa Kelly (twins) born 12 April 1884
    Martin Kelly born about 1879

All three were born to Michael Kelly and Bridget Ford or Forde, all in Inchamore in the parish of Peterswell, civil parish of Kilthomas, in the registration district of Gort. I have records for a few of their children, but not the above. I can't find any record of Michael Kelly or Bridget Ford dying, either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

I can't find any record of Michael Kelly or Bridget Ford dying, either.
    Michael Kelly died before 1901 anyway:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Galway/Ballycahalan/Inchamore/1382935/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Sure, if you don't mind:

All three were born to Michael Kelly. I can't find any record of Michael Kelly or Bridget Ford dying, either.

Michael Kelly is not exactly uncommon. 1748 deaths between 1864 and 1901. 19 in Gort SRD.

He could have died anywhere in Ireland or elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Sure, if you don't mind:

Sarah Kelly born 08 August 1885
    I can't find any record of Michael Kelly

If Sarah was the last child born, Michael was presumably still alive about December 1884.
    He could be the Michael Kelly, 65 year old married labourer who died in Gort workhouse 29 March 1887. Dying in the workhouse did not necessarily mean he was a pauper, he could have been admitted to the infirmary.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

tabbey wrote: »
    If Sarah was the last child born, Michael was presumably still alive about December 1884.
    She wasn't, Lizzie is mentioned in the '01 census. The funny thing is, I've looked up several of the Inchamore surnames and can't find any of them.

I had a look last night and for just the year 1885, there were only 7 Kelly births in Gort. That seemed very low to me. However, I compared the results to the indexes on FindMyPast to see if the number of results are the same and they are.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thanks all! I looked through the indexes on FindMyPast and I couldn't find them there, either. I don't think that they moved anywhere, they were farmers and the family still livesin Inchamore today. I know Bridget Kelly/Forde lived past the 1911 census, but I can't find a death record for her. Going through the records on findmypast, Michael Kelly of Inchamore registered a dog in 1901, so he must have died right before the census.

I did find the death record for their son Martin, but it was in the neighboring district of Loughrea. He died at St. Brendan's home (some sort of retirement home) in 1959. It lists his townland as Derrybrien, but the date matches the date on his tombstone which says Inchamore. I think Inchamore townland was carved out of Derrybrien sometime in the early 1800's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I wonder if a search of the newspaper archives would uncover any local deaths. Unfortunately I don't have a sub, maybe someone else?

• Advertisement

I searched the newspaper archives at findmypast and didn't find anything. I also searched Irishnewsarchive, I found article from 1913 about a Martin Kelly of Derrybrien who was stabbed in the head by one of his friend in an argument over a hat, and an ad from 1952 for Bisto Gravy that mentions a recipe sent in by Delia Kelly of Inchamore.
    I also found many petty court records at findmypast for the Kellys of Inchamore. They seemed to frequently end up in court  for fighting/drinking/distilling, but nothing more recent than 1913.

Advertisement