Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food in Dublin 15

Options
  • 26-04-2016 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭

Myself and the girlfriend go for food on a Wednesday (she works in Clonee and I do be driving from Ballymount), we normally stick to the Paddock's if either of us are late, Flame's if we fancy a Chinese or over to Eddie Rockets if we're going to the SC for anything. We've been to Browne's a couple of times too! Basically looking for some alternative options not too far from Clonee/Huntstown?

We're looking at trying Ravellos tomorrow!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

Try la bucca in dunboyne. They've some great pasta dishes and their chicken wings are class

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

chocksaway wrote: »
    Try la bucca in dunboyne. They've some great pasta dishes and their chicken wings are class

Was there for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I agree that their chicken wings are excellent, but the pizza I had actually tasted of nothing at all, which was a remarkable feat. My wife enjoyed her starter but only because it contained all the things she particularly likes, as opposed to it being particularly spectacular, and she described her pasta as being "only OK". Personally I won't be rushing back to the place.

Castello Bruno in Castleknock village is owned by the same people who own Browne's and has been consistently good any time we've been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Thai Garden

/thread

Edit - Anglers Rest also.

We dont eat anywhere else in D15 as it everything else is rather meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

chocksaway wrote: »

The one in Ratoath is fantastic anyway.

Another place worth checking out is Maxmillians at Supervalu in Blanchardstown village. I prefer both to Brunos.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

For pizza I like Maximilians Bistro in SuperValu Shopping Centre or Milano in Blanchardstown Centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭AlanG

Maxmillians and the anglers rest are both good but can be expensive.
    Thai Garden has been the fantastic for over 15 years, I have never been disappointed with it and it is very reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Slattsy wrote: »
    Anglers Rest also.

We dont eat anywhere else in D15 as it everything else is rather meh.

This time 12/18 months ago I would have agreed with you about the Anglers Rest wholeheartly and had recommended it to many of our friends and family through the years. The service is good and the food is cooked to a standard you'd expect in such a place.

I had always enjoyed their Fish 'n Chip, but what I noticed is the portion sizes have been noticeably reduced since the start of last year. At one time you'd expect to get a piece of fish comparable to a really decent size chip shop serving, now you're lucky to get half that size and I do mean lucky!

Its a pity the place is really nice, but the portions are miserable!

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    This time 12/18 months ago I would have agreed with you about the Anglers Rest wholeheartly and had recommended it to many of our friends and family through the years. The service is good and the food is cooked to a standard you'd expect in such a place.

I had always enjoyed their Fish 'n Chip, but what I noticed is the portion sizes have been noticeably reduced since the start of last year. At one time you'd expect to get a piece of fish comparable to a really decent size chip shop serving, now you're lucky to get half that size and I do mean lucky!

Its a pity the place is really nice, but the portions are miserable!

I'm going on Saturday so i'll check back in!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Slattsy wrote: »
    I'm going on Saturday so i'll check back in!

Don't expect much in the way of chips :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dorlydoo

IMO Maximillians in Blanch village beside super value is a great Italian (especially upstairs)... the pizza is good! Geisha in ashtown is quite nice but a little expensive! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Ravello's was very nice the time we tried it. Hopefully try a few other spots out soon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,017 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

+1 for Maximilians, aleays enjoy the grub there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Thai Garden , Maximilians :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Maximilians is the best restaurant in D15 by some distance.

Honorable mentions for Thai Garden and the Italian in the Crowne Plaza.

Had the nicest Fish & Chips ever in the Anglers Rest a few weeks ago. It was beautiful. The mushy peas - drool!

Never that gone on Maximilians - its grand, no more no less. Wouldn't choose to go there personally.

Thai Garden my fav Thai in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Does anybody know what’s happening to Ravello’s in Clonsilla. Is it being redecorated or is it closing down?, would be an awful shame to see it go.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Does anybody know what’s happening to Ravello’s in Clonsilla. Is it being redecorated or is it closing down?, would be an awful shame to see it go.

Funny enough, was just coming to post here myself about Ravellos. Tried to order from them and they're no longer on Just Eat and when I rang the phone just rang out. Hope they're not gone, but if they are there's a definite opening for a good pizza place in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nerd Queen

The Black Wolf in Blanch Village has lovely food. My husband got the ribs and they were fab! Very nice chicken wings too. Extremely reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Ravellos have a planning application in to split the restaurant into a pizzeria and restaurant. The application was very vague so the council have asked for clarification. Odd that it has closed up already. Sounds like they're jumping the gun

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

The additional info has come in since last I looked at it.

Looks like they're closing Romayos, dividing Ravellos in two with a pizzeria on the right side and a Romayos on the left with a sit down area. No more table service would be my take on things.

FW17A/0197

http://documents.fingalcoco.ie/NorthgatePublicDocs/00582725.pdf

http://documents.fingalcoco.ie/NorthgatePublicDocs/00574245.pdf

http://documents.fingalcoco.ie/NorthgatePublicDocs/00582686.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

Anyone try the new Indian yet above the Roselawn Inn? Think they used to be in Glasnevin before.

jonnybravo wrote: »
    Anyone try the new Indian yet above the Roselawn Inn? Think they used to be in Glasnevin before.

There's a thread in the Dublin City forum with a few mentions of it recently - spurious and one/two others posted about it. Vagya is the name btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Yep it was lovely. Not mad on indian food and I don't like rhe Roselawn but was walkable to. But pleasantly surprised...although a bit odd to be greeted by someone in full traditional dress in my local shopping centre.

My go to place is the 12th lock. Lovely steak. Service can be a bit hit and miss.

Been in both of the restaurants in the Castleknock Hotel recently and both were excellent. Also Dunboyne Castle. And Luttrellstown.

Echo Maximillans and Rudys.

In fact the only.one I will never return to is the Anglers Rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jacinta086

Where's the best place for weekend breakfast / brunch?
    I tried The Cottage Cafe in Blanch and didn't like it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Jacinta086 wrote: »

My sister rates Rudys

Jacinta086 wrote: »

Can't beat the Amber Cafe. Great fry up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭AlanG

Another voter for Amber as the best around - although I would only rank it medium, haven't found a really good breakfast in D15 yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mmrs

Rendezvous in Ongar do a lovely breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Rudys for Brunch, lovely. Have been about three or four times. Nice cooked Irish breakfast also but I didn't have that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jacinta086

Thanks for the tips guys; i'll try those out

Advertisement