Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Storm Gertrude - January 29th

• 28-01-2016 9:15am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Met Eireann have issued a Yellow alert for Thursday / Friday 28/29 Jan

Southwest winds will reach mean speeds of 50 to 60 km/h gusting 90 to 110 km/h overnight on Thursday night and in to Friday morning.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Met Eireann have issued a Yellow alert for Thursday / Friday 28/29 Jan

Southwest winds will reach mean speeds of 50 to 60 km/h gusting 90 to 110 km/h overnight on Thursday night and in to Friday morning.

For coastal areas there is an Orange alert Already gusting strong sw according to met ie for Kerry and sound effects concur with that. south Kerry mountains 400 asl

• Registered Users Posts: 44 RazorT

Looks like the warnings have been upgraded. Orange for large parts of the country.

STATUS ORANGE

Wind Warning for Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Dublin, Longford, Louth, Wexford, Wicklow, Meath, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo, Clare, Cork, Kerry and Waterford

Southwest winds later veering westerly will increase 65 to 80 km/h overnight and will gust 110 to 130 km/h at times. The strongest winds mainly in northern and western coastal areas.

Issued:
    Thursday 28 January 2016 10:00

Valid:
    Friday 29 January 2016 00:01 to Friday 29 January 2016 09:00

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Offaly, Westmeath, Roscommon, Limerick and Tipperary

Southwest winds later veering westerly will increase 50 to 65 km/h overnight and will gust 100 to 110 km/h at times.

Issued:

Valid:

• Registered Users Posts: 44 RazorT

Looks like the warnings have been upgraded. Orange for large parts of the country.

STATUS ORANGE

Wind Warning for Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Dublin, Longford, Louth, Wexford, Wicklow, Meath, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo, Clare, Cork, Kerry and Waterford

Southwest winds later veering westerly will increase 65 to 80 km/h overnight and will gust 110 to 130 km/h at times. The strongest winds mainly in northern and western coastal areas.

Issued:

Valid:

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Offaly, Westmeath, Roscommon, Limerick and Tipperary

Southwest winds later veering westerly will increase 50 to 65 km/h overnight and will gust 100 to 110 km/h at times.

Issued:

Valid:

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭aisling86

Personally didn't expect to see an orange warning. Interesting night ahead & hubby working nights!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,691 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Botheration. Ive a 1630 flight out of Dublin on Friday, on a crappy regional turboprop. Liklihood of disruption anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭chris2007

STATUS Orange

Issued:
    28 Jan 2016 - 10:00
    Valid:
    29 Jan 2016 - 00:01 to 29 Jan 2016 - 09:00

STATUS Yellow

Issued:
    28 Jan 2016 - 10:00
    Valid:
    29 Jan 2016 - 00:01 to 29 Jan 2016 - 09:00

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Very wild in Galway City right now so could be another sleepless night ahead, I recorded 72mph on Tuesday Morning.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Very wild in Galway City right now so could be another sleepless night ahead, I recorded 72mph on Tuesday Morning.

Very wild here in South Kerry too already, And yes yet another sleepless night ahead I think.Seems no end to it. Heavy rain too. Shudders! Feels very cold

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭vickers209

Customer in work just told me the its being named Gertrude not sure if thats valid?

EDIT

Just seen met.ie
    Weather Advisory for Ireland

A rapidly deepening Atlantic depression will pass to the north of Scotland during Friday. It will bring a swathe of severe winds across Ireland, Scotland and northern England through Thursday night and Friday.
    Orange-status warnings have been issued by both Met Éireann and the UK Met Office for their respective areas of responsibility. The storm has been named Gertrude.
    Issued:
    Thursday 28 January 2016 12:00
    Valid:
    Thursday 28 January 2016 12:01 to Friday 29 January 2016 09:00

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yes, it is being called Gertrude, mainly because it is going to whallop northern Scotland with 100mph+ gusts.

Windy here yes, but nothing exceptional. Will get a few severe gusts tomorrow morning though ahead of the cold front passage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

This storm.naming is confusing. Why isn't it a K name as johnas was last named storm? Or will J be skipped when it comes to its turn?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,507 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

snaps wrote: »
    This storm.naming is confusing. Why isn't it a K name as johnas was last named storm? Or will J be skipped when it comes to its turn?

Jonas was American named. Had it fit the bill here it would have been Gertrude.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

snaps wrote: »

Jonas wasn't named Jonas by us, it was the name given by the US authorities when it was dumping the snow on them, by the time it reached UK/Ireland it wasn't strong enough to be a named storm, but there was enough crap weather associated with it that the media still picked up on the name and used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Rain is very bad in Galway all afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭superhooper

Yes, it is being called Gertrude, mainly because it is going to whallop northern Scotland with 100mph+ gusts.

Windy here yes, but nothing exceptional. Will get a few severe gusts tomorrow morning though ahead of the cold front passage.

Didn't we have a Gertrude in December already??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Ya I thought we had storm Gertrude already too

iirc after Frank there was a lot of media chat about there possibly being another named storm a few days later, but it never reached the naming threshold, so it was just ****e weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Ya I thought we had storm Gertrude already too

Probably down to media hype about potential strong winds that never materialised just before christmas,where the name Gertrude was thrown about.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Behind the Darkness

Strong enough gusts in ardee co louth now, rain pelting the glass..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Is the thread title going to be amended as it seems inaccurate???

Probably down to media hype about potential strong winds that never materialised just before christmas,where the name Gertrude was thrown about.

Couldn't have been before Christmas as Storm Frank was over the new year weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Looking at ME website do you not think the colour should be changed to Orange as it says status Orange for land and for the marine on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭weisses

Looking at the ME forecast we will have storm Henry on Monday

I'm sure the thread title will be updated as soon as a mod becomes available to do it

So tonight we have gertrude? I see!I think. Loud and nasty up here already South Kerry mountains 400 asl

• Registered Users Posts: 12,831 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

If we ever get real storm the country will shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

That cold front will be interesting! Some violent gusts possible, with wind-speeds just above the surface extreme.

10 metre

Rtavn189.gif

850hPa

Rtavn1812.gif

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just updated to Level 2/Orange, in line with ME warning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,831 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Just updated to Level 2/Orange, in line with ME warning.

Maybe we should update the title from when its valid from. Its for Friday only on level 2 it seems

Advertisement