Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Rainfall Warnings Jan 1st-3rd 2016: Latest Alert Post #91

• 01-01-2016 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Carlow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Cork, Kerry, Tipperary and Waterford
    Rain is expected today Friday and overnight, but should turn more showery during Saturday morning.
    25 to 35 mm are expected, with possibly higher totals on mountains.

Issued:Friday 01 January 2016 08:35
    Valid:Friday 01 January 2016 09:00 to Saturday 02 January 2016 09:00

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭xband

It's certainly raining in cork. Fairly heavy in the city right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Heavy and largely horizontal here in South Kerry 400 asl and deafening wind. Had to go out for turf and wood and not pleasant.. mountains are hard to see

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Up +100mm shown here for over high ground during the next 36 hours.

yyCVgEK.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Up +100mm shown here for over high ground during the next 36 hours.

I reckon that would push the Barrow over in Carlow :o

Actually Maq looks a little worse even on 6z

nmm_uk1-25-36-4.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

The barrow has already flooded in parts in the town although not to any severe extent and in other parts of the county, luckily nowhere near as bad as in Kilkenny and wexford. Only raining very lightly here this morning, hopefully it stays that way:rolleyes:

howlinwolf wrote: »
    The barrow has already flooded in parts in the town although not to any severe extent and in other parts of the county, luckily nowhere near as bad as in Kilkenny and wexford. Only raining very lightly here this morning, hopefully it stays that way:rolleyes:
    Yes the Barrow has dropped a fair bit but I'm afraid your hope of rain staying light is unlikely to happen and if we see over 100mm on high ground I'm not sure the defences will hold :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Wind gusting to 70km/h now from the South East

www.waterfordcityweather.com

Going through the charts I really don't think a Yellow warning is enough, certainly isn't if you take existing water levels into account!

Any opinions on upgrading warning level here? I usually like to go with Met Eireann but I'm not so sure on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Never saw the radar like it is now on ME large gap in the middle of the front with no rain, what causes that is it wind or what !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,124 ✭✭✭✭km79

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Never saw the radar like it is now on ME large gap in the middle of the front with no rain, what causes that is it wind or what !!

it's nice being in the clear zone!

EURO4 showing about 50-90mm over the south and east over the next 48 hours.

16010306_2_0106.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 13,548 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Is there any end to this horrendous rain and storm ? - think its rained (heavily) everyday , bar 2, for the past month - any clown objecting to Climate change proposal must not living in the world today - weather has been truly horrible here in Ireland , and other places who suffer even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭andygaw

Troll alert!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

EURO4 showing about 50-90mm over the south and east over the next 48 hours.

16010306_2_0106.gif

With ground flooded and saturated that could be chaotic
    Is an orange alert not more realistic?

With ground flooded and saturated that could be chaotic
    Is an orange alert not more realistic?

Would make no difference what alert they added now frankly. Certainly far worse now than was expected . A white out up here with rain sweeping visibly across the wide skies and it has not eased all the day long. They said 35 mm earlier; checking kerry coco twitter. A public holiday so maybe things not getting put on? Certainly there will be more floods.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Met have clear criteria for their warnings so yellow is correct. It's up to local authorities to use their brains and realise what a yellow rain warning means for the already flooded areas.

Met have clear criteria for their warnings so yellow is correct. It's up to local authorities to use their brains and realise what a yellow rain warning means for the already flooded areas.

New Years Day may not be the best day for brainpower.. Little on local news etc Kerry County Council ‏@countykerry 13h13 hours ago
    2016 starting as 2015 finished with a weather warning.
    @MetEireann issued YELLOW advisory for rainfall up to 35mm in Kerry on Jan 1st.
    Kerry County Council
    @countykerry
    ... On top of saturated ground after #StormFrank this may lead to localised spot flooding in stressed areas. Please plan accordingly (2/2) Usually there will be lilists of road closures etc

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

The ESB have upped the output from Parteen Weir to 470 Cumecs, meaning those not adequately protected from the lower reaches of the Shannon are at risk of flooding again.

Its raining here in Limerick at the moment but not significantly so. Thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭sjb25

. It's up to local authorities to use their brains .

Ha ............

• Advertisement

I just looked out of the back ( north facing) top window here. South Kerry mountains 400 asl. The field at the back quite a few yards below the house, is more waterlogged than it has ever been. Further along, the rough patch of bog grazing is turning into a lake. Again I have never seen it this bad.. and still the rain is sheeting across. ( I am safe, worry not; old man who built this house, God rest him, chose the one raised part.) A little concerned re ,my landlords cattle. He is grazing three with calf at foot up here on this lower stretch but am sure he checks them daily. Will look out later to make sure they are not stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

The west(north of the Shannon) has dodged a bullet with the bulk of the precipitation out at sea and travelling north.

373333.jpg

As opposed to us in Kerry! But glad that is so. Packing in here for today; feeding critters early and extra food. Just is so noisy! According to met ie, due to ease later. Tomorrow will tell its own tale. Welcome 2016!

9.6mm in Cobh so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Coles

The ESB are now in the uncomfortable position of having very little capacity to hold back additional flood waters at Poulaphuca and little opportunity to run down the levels without causing flooding.

With 50mm of rain across the upper catchment over 24 hours that will raise the level of the Poulaphuca Reservoir by 600mm.

120mm of rain over 72 hours would raise the level by almost 1300mm, and I think they probably just about have capacity for that, but it would certainly be very risky to allow it happen. Whether or not they'll allow the level get that high remains to be seen, but if they decide against it then I think there will be flooding downstream.

Looks very wet in the south this evening on the GFS P

e4w6WX5.png

• Registered Users Posts: 39,351 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It's a horrible nasty day in cork city. And no I'm not talking about my hangover. I'm seeing roads flooding that I've never seen flooding. It's a disaster. I wonder how the esb are going to handle the dam as there must be some serious volumes behind it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

Seems like sume serious gusts in North Kildare this afternoon. Judging this throught the windows mind you, not leaving the house today in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

I'm in county Cork and it's been pouring all day,it seems much worse than previous days? Should it maybe be an orange alert?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,721 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

6.2mm so far in north Kilkenny.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement