Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hay 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,370 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

AP2014 wrote: »
    Only take the p*ss Reggie. Making sure ya don't fall asleep on duty!

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Reggie. wrote: »
    Ah in fairness it's great stuff. Bone dry aswell. Baled hay just like it last year and wasnt a bother on it.

It's as green as I saw baled , will it be left out for a few weeks stooked?

Bullocks wrote: »

No idea. Said to him to leave it out for a few days stacked

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

Left out in the rain for a few weeks and it will be as black as you have ever seen!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,161 ✭✭✭✭Base price

No problem with those bales as long as they are stacked in the field for a week or so to make before heading into the shed.
    For the younger/less informed, small squares was the way we saved hay in the past, prior to that was haystacks.
    Both systems are reliable when the weather is dodgy and thankfully still used to this day :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Pictures of my hay as promised :). Cut it Sunday evening and baled Wednesday evening.
    Sorry about the picture size.

[URL="[url=http://imgup.net][img]http://o37.imgup.net/IMG_0423d4ba.JPG[/img][/url]"][/url]IMG_0423d4ba.JPG
    IMG_0424d23a.JPG

jaysus we'd have stuff far more wilted than that here and wrap it and call it silage

The best of hay is baled at that green stage. Ive seen it go into sheds that way and turn the yellow colour in time. Too many people roast the hell out of the grass and take any feed out of it. Used to do it myself until was taught differently here by the auld timers. Green hay is what everyone looks for around here.

Anyways square bales won't heat as bad as round bales if left out.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

Went you operate a square baler in light crops gg then you'll understand

When baling short grass drive faster. The baler will ball up the grass in front of it and swallow it when the ball of grass gets big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

When this game up on recent posts - no forum shown- I thought it was about the Welsh Literary Festival... Oops

rushvalley wrote: »
    When baling short grass drive faster. The baler will ball up the grass in front of it and swallow it when the ball of grass gets big.

That's what I was doing, thats why the bits are on the field. They fall off the edges of the reel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Ive been instructed by FIL to knock 4 acres. Better do what I'm told even though me thinks it could see black bags. :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Ive been instructed by FIL to knock 4 acres. Better do what I'm told even though me thinks it could see black bags. :-(

Two neighbours here knocked it as well. Didn't think it was to be that good for the week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

sea12 wrote: »
    Two neighbours here knocked it as well. Didn't think it was to be that good for the week

Well damage is done now and shook out so let ye say a few prayers for it!

Well damage is done now and shook out so let ye say a few prayers for it!

Ah I'd say you'll be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Any steam yet :D bit early I suppose wait until next week :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

What's the weather for the week to be like lads?
    Had a bit of a goo on YR.

What's the weather for the week to be like lads?
    Had a bit of a goo on YR.

Looks fairly good till next weekend I think

Looks fairly good till next weekend I think

Yep farming weather has it good and dry for the week. Possibility of slight rain on Wednesday but amount will be small. Good on Thursday and possible slight rain on Friday but dry again on Saturday.

Great chance for the hay lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Great chance for the hay lads

I'll stick the kettle on for ya!

• Advertisement

I'll stick the kettle on for ya!

If I was nearby I'd roll on into it with the 274

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭trabpc

This weeks forecast seems similar to last week. Little rain for tomorrow in North and West but Midlands/South to be OK. Thinking knocking 5 acres today......

trabpc wrote: »
    This weeks forecast seems similar to last week. Little rain for tomorrow in North and West but Midlands/South to be OK. Thinking knocking 5 acres today......

Huge day today for hay making

Huge day today for hay making

Huge amount of being made last 3 weeks. Feck all rain but the its s good day followed by 2 poor days. People still getting though although some of it is fairly mixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

sea12 wrote: »
    Huge amount of being made last 3 weeks. Feck all rain but the its s good day followed by 2 poor days. People still getting though although some of it is fairly mixed.

I saw a guy making spirited efforts to lose hay in Portugal last Sunday week. One wet day in weeks and he had it all ranked up ready for the baler.

Is there hay weather coming next week think ? I have 3 acres of light stuff I might chance

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭mythos110

Is there hay weather coming next week think ? I have 3 acres of light stuff I might chance

I'm in the same boat. Was busy at silage and slurry during the last blast and could do with knocking a few acres for hay now. Thinking of mowing Sunday evening by the looks of things

mythos110 wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat. Was busy at silage and slurry during the last blast and could do with knocking a few acres for hay now. Thinking of mowing Sunday evening by the looks of things

Are you in Galway aswell ? Is there any sale for small squares I wonder . I'll probably put them in the loft for the winter but if I got someone to take them off the field to save me handling I would be happy out

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭mythos110

Are you in Galway aswell ? Is there any sale for small squares I wonder . I'll probably put them in the loft for the winter but if I got someone to take them off the field to save me handling I would be happy out

No, in North Tipp myself. I'll be going with the round ones. Did a bit of small baler contracting in my late teens for lads. Almost always gave a hand drawing them in as well! Not a good thing to get a name for yourself at. Sold the baler when getting into the bit of silage gear. Never looked back!

• Advertisement

mythos110 wrote: »
    No, in North Tipp myself. I'll be going with the round ones. Did a bit of small baler contracting in my late teens for lads. Almost always gave a hand drawing them in as well! Not a good thing to get a name for yourself at. Sold the baler when getting into the bit of silage gear. Never looked back!

Squares are lovely if you don't have to handle them ! But I always love the few quid they make if I can get lads to take them away as I'm making them , this year there mightnt be alot looking for them I'd say , well not until bad weather around Christmas anyhow

Advertisement