Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hay 2015

Options
  • 05-06-2015 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Anyone made hay or planning to make hay this year?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

merryberry wrote: »

I found Mr Optimistic :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

Agh its hardly been dry 2days in a row yet. Next week looks ok so there might be some small bit made

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Planning....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Planning....

It's a bit early around here. Meadows arnt ready to be dropped yet anyway. Hopefully end of June if we get the weather

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭merryberry

I was just browsing done deal and saw shed stored hay advertised ...had to b 2014 hay...had to b

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭merryberry

Kovu wrote: »
    I found Mr Optimistic :D

I know. But do any of ye have faith in these long range weather forecasts like accuweather...its giving a poor month for june weatherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nettleman

I know. But do any of ye have faith in these long range weather forecasts like accuweather...its giving a poor month for june weatherwise.

Im hoping to make round bales of hay as I have plenty of silage left over from last year. I seen on the road yesterday dairy men with silage mowed and he let the cows into eat it. quality of grass probably not worth putting in a pit-didn't get any sun during may and needing aftergrass

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Praying more than planning. Ive 30 round bales sold already if weather will turn later this month and will get out the square baler for the rest. It got no work last year so hopefully won't have to do too much servicing on it. Will do 3 rows around the headlands sunday with the rest of the silage being cut. Hopefully wont be wrapping the rest of it later in the month/early July. Nothing as bad as silage that was meant for hay.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Anything after 4-5 days is crystal ball gazing, why can't people get that? You tell them long range forecasts are useless next time you meet them they're on about the very bad winter we're in for :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Nettleman wrote: »
    Im hoping to make round bales of hay as I have plenty of silage left over from last year. I seen on the road yesterday dairy men with silage mowed and he let the cows into eat it. quality of grass probably not worth putting in a pit-didn't get any sun during may and needing aftergrass

Pre mowed?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I think there are very few years where there is no opportunity to make hay. I remember one in the mid 80's, outside of that I think there's always a chance. There were a few bad summers in a row around 5 years ago but somebody always gets a bit of hay.
    It's another matter entirely making really good hay!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Even if the weather is a scorcher, it's hard enough save hay if you are working. When do you turn it?

Dew isn't burnt off in the morning and the best of the day is gone by the time you are home!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Muckit wrote: »
    Even if the weather is a scorcher, it's hard enough save hay if you are working. When do you turn it?

Dew isn't burnt off in the morning and the best of the day is gone by the time you are home!!

Sacrifice a few work hours . I'm never happier than heading off from work to do a couple of hours on the farm and still be home for dinner - the same applies for porter

Muckit wrote: »

Agree with that one. Lucky I have the father to do it during the day. But one year he wasn't around and it was torture. In the office all day looking out at it just waiting to get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Planning on going for hay next week.....

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

Mayo_Boy wrote:

I might jump on that bandwagon to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

For what its worth you'll have an awful job trying to save hay these days as stuff has away too much green in it, I see a couple lads trying to cut early hay every year and ituusually its up in s##t

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

keep going wrote: »
    For what its worth you'll have an awful job trying to save hay these days as stuff has away too much green in it, I see a couple lads trying to cut early hay every year and ituusually its up in s##t

Out of interest when would be a good time to cut for hay. I have way to much grass ahead of cows and I was going to fence off a few acres and try to get round bales of hay. Never made hay before though!

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Out of interest when would be a good time to cut for hay. I have way to much grass ahead of cows and I was going to fence off a few acres and try to get round bales of hay. Never made hay before though!
    I see disaster on the horizon :(

It would be too green if it's grass that's gone too strong from the last grazing especially if you intend to make round bales of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,118 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

My advice wrap it soon as,better feed and after grass back quicker for cows.very few lads in this country can make really good hay.

Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    mahoney_j wrote: »
    My advice wrap it soon as,better feed and after grass back quicker for cows.very few lads in this country can make really good hay.
    I happen to be one of them with years of experience under my belt :) I've seen farmers round bale hay that isn't fit in scorching weather because they haven't patience to wait, then they wonder why it heats also trying to make hay of grass that can never be saved. 3 things you need to make hay the right crop the right weather and plenty patience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Hay, why?

It's ball ache and the paddock is out of production for way too long. Good dry silage or haylage far superior

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I happen to be one of them with years of experience under my belt :) I've seen farmers round bale hay that isn't fit in scorching weather because they haven't patience to wait, then they wonder why it heats also trying to make hay of grass that can never be saved. 3 things you need to make hay the right crop the right weather and plenty patience.

patience does be in short supply around here at hay making time. Lads lose the run of themselves completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭howdee

The majority of hay made in this country is ****e with a lot of it full of weeds, weed grasses and rushes. Many farmers don't know how to make good hay and beat the life of of it with the haybob. Unfortunately it is a skill that is dying out.
    I saved 10 acres of hay last year, it was new grass that was destined for the pit but due to lack of room on the slab so made hay out of it. I took exactly 15 days to save and that was during the big heat this time last year. Most lads wouldn't have the patience for this, thankfully the ould lad made a living in his earlier life as a hay contractor and knows hay making inside and out so I let him at it. Personally I would prefer haylage, given the good feeding quality in it.

howdee wrote: »
    The majority of hay made in this country is ****e with a lot of it full of weeds, weed grasses and rushes. Many farmers don't know how to make good hay and beat the life of of it with the haybob. Unfortunately it is a skill that is dying out.
    I saved 10 acres of hay last year, it was new grass that was destined for the pit but due to lack of room on the slab so made hay out of it. I took exactly 15 days to save and that was during the big heat this time last year. Most lads wouldn't have the patience for this, thankfully the ould lad made a living in his earlier life as a hay contractor and knows hay making inside and out so I let him at it. Personally I would prefer haylage, given the good feeding quality in it.

If u left hay down here for 15 days somebody would think you had died and some ****er would have come in and baled it for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭howdee

sea12 wrote: »
    If u left hay down here for 15 days somebody would think you had died and some ****er would have come in and baled it for themselves.

I know, a few of the neighbours were wondering what we were doing with it but been new grass it was so heavy it took that long to fitten.

Hay, why?

It's ball ache and the paddock is out of production for way too long. Good dry silage or haylage far superior
    Exactly, the amount of diesel and time spent arsing around turning it would pay for the wrapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Is the key to making hay to start with a light crop of older stemmy type grass.

My contractor knew of a lad who was able to make hay in 2 days by cutting a very light crop that was almost hay while on the stem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭trabpc

15 days to save hay!!! Last June 5 days was enough. Must have been like wire after 15 days

Advertisement